Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

42 minutes ago, dmtx said:

A friend of mine who starts residency next year, said he wants to buy a place in como near bryant irvin, to live. he said its an upcoming area. I told him, you may not finish residency. I told him, you and your fiance will both make $50k a year in residency, look at river oaks and burton hill.

There is some new construction around there. In five years no one who lives there will know what Como used to be. Kind of like East 7th across I35 in Austin

Good for the college kids. 

The new Dutch’s Hamburgers bar is open, and now Dutch’s is an all-around burger cafe and sports grill.

The bar replaces a neighboring shop, and now Dutch’s has expanded across four spaces and an upstairs patio along the “drag” near Texas Christian University.

Dutch’s, a former DFW.com Burger Battle winner, also added a better women’s restroom, more parking and a takeout counter.

Tuesday is still half-price burger night, Wednesday half-price hot dogs.

What was next door to it, some kind of clothing boutique? 

Good for the college kids. 

The new Dutch’s Hamburgers bar is open, and now Dutch’s is an all-around burger cafe and sports grill.

The bar replaces a neighboring shop, and now Dutch’s has expanded across four spaces and an upstairs patio along the “drag” near Texas Christian University.

Dutch’s, a former DFW.com Burger Battle winner, also added a better women’s restroom, more parking and a takeout counter.

Tuesday is still half-price burger night, Wednesday half-price hot dogs.

What was next door to it, some kind of clothing boutique? 
I am pretty sure it was clothing place. Dirty Laundry might have been the name.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yep. 

Considering its location, R.J. Gator’s Neighborhood Grill & Bar gave it a good run. 

The southwest Fort Worth restaurant, described as a “Flori-Mex-ibbean” spot when it opened at 4413 Trail Lake Drive in 2013, announced on Facebook this weekend that it had closed permanently, after nearly five years at that location.

The location was previously home to Hot Tub’s Back Porch Grotto and then to Pop’s Burgers, which closed quickly. The Trail Lake Pop’s was an expanded version of Pop’s Burgers on the west side, which won the 2011 DFW.com Battle of the Burgers. (Continually fierce contender Charley’s Old Fashioned Hamburgers is still open just a little to the west on Granbury Road.)

The new BBQ/Oyster Bar in Montgomery Plaza (in the cursed spot) will open in two weeks.  Looks like they are going after the sports crowd with more t.v.'s.

They should just make it a breastaurant and called it something like The Smoked Clam. Maybe the novelty would keep them afloat a full year.

23 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

The new BBQ/Oyster Bar in Montgomery Plaza (in the cursed spot) will open in two weeks.  Looks like they are going after the sports crowd with more t.v.'s.

Found out yesterday a friend of a friend from Dallas is one of the owners.  There will be two separate restaurants but they will share a kitchen.  Can confirm cold open in about two weeks.

I drive through downtown on Belknap every afternoon, and I see they finally started work on Cowtown Brewing Co. after that project was announced what seemed to me, at first memory, like 3 years ago.  They've painted more signage on the building, and looks like they're working on the backyard / beergarden.

I was amused to see a FW Weekly article about the place written last week that made no mention of the fact that a nearly identical article was penned in 2016 when it was "just about to open" the first time.

It's across the street from that gas station with the Sonic, right near the end of Airport Freeway.

Edited by TornACL

13 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Continuing our restaurant theme, R.J. Gator’s on Trail Lake joined the parade of fails there. 

Last place I know of in Cowtown where you could get a Carlson's burger.  And yes, I'm old enough to remember when Carlson's was open off of University.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

Anybody got a foundation company to rec? Just got a bid at $400 per piling for a standard pier/beam leveling, seems extremely high

Call Phillip Miller 817-312-3567.  He has been in this business for 20+ years and is honest, reliable.  You are right-that price is insanely high.

Went to the Toad tonight, everything was cool, chill. Hear a loud sound behind us, think this dude has fallen off his stool with a heart attack or some shit. Nope, got KTFO. Asked a couple people what happened, they were like, “Started shit he couldn’t finish”. 

That’s a bad evening for that dude. 

Edited by spystud13

On 8/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, pch said:

Call Phillip Miller 817-312-3567.  He has been in this business for 20+ years and is honest, reliable.  You are right-that price is insanely high.

He's coming next week to bid it. Just had another bid come in, these guys actually went under the house (first one didn't even do that) and said the whole thing needs to be re-shimmed plus a few piers at $300/pop. $4k total and that's not even including a secondary aspect. This home ownership thing is a fucking racket. 

2 hours ago, bluto said:

He's coming next week to bid it. Just had another bid come in, these guys actually went under the house (first one didn't even do that) and said the whole thing needs to be re-shimmed plus a few piers at $300/pop. $4k total and that's not even including a secondary aspect. This home ownership thing is a fucking racket. 

Yeah, that foundation repair cost can be a big expense.  Good luck finding the right guy to do it so it only has to be done once. I can tell you the guy I recommended has a guarantee that he stands behind.

Hey, I remember the poster that called this on the other site. 

Salsa Limon, the Fort Worth taqueria that rose from a taco truck to a DFW mini-chain, announced in a Facebook post Friday that its “Universidad” location across from TCU will close Aug. 12.

“Unfortunately, the franchise at that location elected not to renew the franchise agreement so our last day will be Aug. 12th,” the post says in part.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/article216076170.html

Well Fort Worth (All over RO growing up and Westpoint/White Settlement the last 10) you’ve been real.

Hello Aledo. RIP pocketbook. Got a can’t refuse deal though so we’ve gone from 0-1000 in less than three weeks. We’re moving out tomorrow and our buyers are looking to close Aug 31.

Does anybody know of any gyms in Fort Worth with decent pick-up basketball? Prefer the greater downtown area, but willing to go out 15-20ish minutes if there’s a good gym somewhere around here.

31 years old, so nothing too serious, but would like some decent games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Well Fort Worth (All over RO growing up and Westpoint/White Settlement the last 10) you’ve been real.

Hello Aledo. RIP pocketbook. Got a can’t refuse deal though so we’ve gone from 0-1000 in less than three weeks. We’re moving out tomorrow and our buyers are looking to close Aug 31.

As an old fucker born and raised here, it absolutely blows my mind their are over 800K living in FW. Well, I hit the burbs years ago, but I'm close.

Absolutely....should be a cheaper than air since they can move more people and l love riding the trains in europe. Plus you could zoom by and actually see some landscape if thats your thing

If something like high speed rail is offered from say: Los Angeles/ Phoenix/ El Paso/ Houston/ Austin/ Oklahoma City/ Tulsa/ Kansas City/ Chicago, would you use the device..?

• Like 1

I have told all the people i know that want to buy cheap houses they should look at como for about 5 years....it was going to happen sooner than later with the location surrounded by hulen,bryant irvin and camp bowie

A friend of mine who starts residency next year, said he wants to buy a place in como near bryant irvin, to live. he said its an upcoming area. I told him, you may not finish residency. I told him, you and your fiance will both make $50k a year in residency, look at river oaks and burton hill.

4 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Absolutely....should be a cheaper than air since they can move more people and l love riding the trains in europe. Plus you could zoom by and actually see some landscape if thats your thing

I would also feel much safer riding a light rail system (as in not flying), while leaving the hassle of going through airport security as well... Just an all around win/ win...

I think I'm officially done with Heim BBQ. Gave them another shot and the meat was just bland. Even the bacon burnt ends were dry. Now this was totally my fault for not checking the bag but I bought 2 of those big cat sandwiches (the one with brisket and mac and cheese on a sandwich) and came home with 2 brisket only sandwiches. Huge disappointment. I really enjoyed Heim when they were at the trailer and for the first few months of the magnolia location but they've hit rock bottom in my opinion. Pains me to say because Travis is a hell of a pitmaster and his wife works just as hard. It's just not doing it for me anymore. 

On 8/5/2018 at 4:28 AM, Bone3421 said:

I have told all the people i know that want to buy cheap houses they should look at como for about 5 years....it was going to happen sooner than later with the location surrounded by hulen,bryant irvin and camp bowie

ho lee shit. I was looking at realtor.com. they have new builds going from 140k to 190k. i still couldnt live there with the current neighborhood. 

exactly.

I love where i live, near roy pope grocery, but 12 year ago i tried to convince my wife to buy in fairmount. I traveled a fair amount at the time, but the spouse unit wasnt keen on it even though she could see the change coming. 

On 8/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, pch said:

Yeah, that foundation repair cost can be a big expense.  Good luck finding the right guy to do it so it only has to be done once. I can tell you the guy I recommended has a guarantee that he stands behind.

I sure as shit hope that guy stands behind his guarantee, he bid over twice as much as the other companies and didn't even take the time to open up the crawl space. Appreciate the rec but damned if I'm using a foundation guy who won't even put on a pair of coveralls to see what exactly he's working on then bidding over 2x market.