AL Wild Card game thread: Yankees vs A's

Helobious

To get a sense of how funny and cool I was as a kid, I used to call the Oakland A's the Oakland "Gays".

I honestly can not name one Oakland player other than Khris Davis and Matt Chapman. Yeah they were on fire most of the second half, but Tom Herman said momentum is an illusion and that's good enough for me. Severino is likely to be the New York starter, hopefully he gets more than 1 out this time. Everyone thinks this will be a low-scoring battle of high powered bullpens, so naturally those kind of games end up being slugfests. Yankees win 8-6, Neil Walker hits a walk-off 2 run blast.  

13 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Lowrie, Semien, Lucroy... You honestly don’t follow the sport, do you? And that’s just the veteran position players. 

I know who all those players are, I didn’t know/care that they currently played for Oakland. I’ll enjoy watching Sevy mow them all down tonight though. 

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:
13 minutes ago, Helobious said:
I know who all those players are, I didn’t know/care that they currently played for Oakland. I’ll enjoy watching Sevy mow them all down tonight though. 

You don't even know when the game is you retarded fuck

I know I troll sometimes. But I was 110% sure the game was on Tuesday. Even started the thread last night in preparation for today. Jesus fucking Christ I’ve been out of it lately, I’ll see myself out. 

• Like 1

^ And a random-ass stat to go along with that. 

Hendriks will be the fourth pitcher to start a postseason game after a winless season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Virgil Trucks started twice for Detroit in the 1945 World Series after returning from World War II.

The others were the Brewers' Yovani Gallardo in 2008 after returning from a torn knee ligament, and the Cardinals' Chris Carpenter in '12 following surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome.

Edited by spystud13

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

I know I troll sometimes. But I was 110% sure the game was on Tuesday. Even started the thread last night in preparation for today. Jesus fucking Christ I’ve been out of it lately, I’ll see myself out. 

see, even he can't tell the difference sometimes!

Yankees opened at -205 and have been bet down to -167.

Good thing they are starting a guy that has a 6 ERA since July 1 and had that sparkling play in game last year.

Oh and JA Happ hasn't lost since coming over.

Yankees went to game 7 of the ALCS last year and changed coaches to get.......Boone.  When they lose there will be much gnashing of teeth and even more rejoicing across this blessed union.

He’s going best stuff and hoping he is on knowing even if he isn’t they have a pen that can shut them down. They are saving Happ for the Sox who struggle against lefties(compared to righties at least). One game season and save your best pitcher (since his acquisition) for a game that you might not play? Bold strategy that will quickly have a cloud hanging over Boone’s time in the Bronx if things don’t go right.

Edited by Dondrysdale1

20 minutes ago, huge said:

Yankees opened at -205 and have been bet down to -167.

Good thing they are starting a guy that has a 6 ERA since July 1 and had that sparkling play in game last year.

Oh and JA Happ hasn't lost since coming over.

Yankees went to game 7 of the ALCS last year and changed coaches to get.......Boone.  When they lose there will be much gnashing of teeth and even more rejoicing across this blessed union.

They are pitching Sevy because he's better than Happ and has pitched better between the two over the last month.  ERA over a month or two sample means fucking nothing.  Happ has been getting by on smoke and mirrors.  

Edited by Fozzz

9 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

They are pitching Sevy because he's better than Happ and has pitched better between the two over the last month.  ERA over a month or two sample means fucking nothing.  Happ has been getting by on smoke and mirrors.  

well which is it?

• Like 1

ERA is not pointless, but you need a much larger sample than a few months before it can tell you anything meaningful.  In this case, where we are looking at a sample < 100 IP, I would focus on K%, BB%, and to a lesser extent FB%/GB%, as those stats are both meaningful given such a sample (more signal than noise) and salient regarding run prevention. 

As a rule of thumb, if a given stat has not reached its respective stabilization point with respect to a given sample, don't pay it any heed.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/sample-size/

Edited by Fozzz

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

ERA is not pointless, but you need a much larger sample than a few months before it can tell you anything meaningful.  In this case, where we are looking at a sample < 100 IP, I would focus on K%, BB%, and to a lesser extent FB%/GB%, as those stats are both meaningful given such a sample (more signal than noise) and salient regarding run prevention. 

As a rule of thumb, if a given stat has not reached its respective stabilization point with respect to a given sample, don't pay it any heed.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/sample-size/

what about opposing OPS?

You have to admit, there’s a very clear talent advantage on the Yankee side of rosters. I know that doesn’t mean as much in 1 baseball game vs 1 game in another sport, but the Yankees are clear favorites tonight. My biggest fear is that Aaron Boone will have to make a difficult decision in a key moment. Advantage Oakland anytime that happens. 

Sevy is the best pitcher the Yankees have, and one of the best in the game when he’s on. If he comes out and sucks the Yankees have a great bullpen to fall back on, like in last year’s WC game. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

You have to admit, there’s a very clear talent advantage on the Yankee side of rosters. I know that doesn’t mean as much in 1 baseball game vs 1 game in another sport, but the Yankees are clear favorites tonight. My biggest fear is that Aaron Boone will have to make a difficult decision in a key moment. Advantage Oakland anytime that happens. 

Sevy is the best pitcher the Yankees have, and one of the best in the game when he’s on. If he comes out and sucks the Yankees have a great bullpen to fall back on, like in last year’s WC game. 

Clear talent advantages seem to make themselves evident over the course of 162 games.  The A’s have a similar record in an arguably tougher division.  I don’t think the talent gap is nearly as wide as you think.  This game is a toss-up.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Clear talent advantages seem to make themselves evident over the course of 162 games.  The A’s have a similar record in an arguably tougher division.  I don’t think the talent gap is nearly as wide as you think.  This game is a toss-up.   

Look at the lineups and tell me where the A’s have the better player. 3rd base is the only one that jumps out to me, everywhere else is advantage NY

Chapman had a better season than *any* Yankee.

1B was a black hole for the Yankees this year so advantage Matt Olson

2B is a distinct advantage to Jed Lowrie.

Because it's at home and because Severino is on the hill the Yankees should by all accounts win.

Look at the lineups and tell me where the A’s have the better player. 3rd base is the only one that jumps out to me, everywhere else is advantage NY

i know we're comparing cf vs rf but i would take piscotty over mccutchen in the battle of "journeyman" outfielders.  piscotty's numbers are about in line with judge's, albeit with ~100 fewer ab.

i think the assumption that there's a wide talent gap, and "everywhere else is advantage ny" is about what i'd expect from someone who admittedly can only name 2 players on the a's.  i can only assume helo learned who jason giambi was the day he signed with the yankees.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think the assumption that there's a wide talent gap, and "everywhere else is advantage ny" is about what i'd expect from someone who admittedly can only name 2 players on the a's.  i can only assume helo learned who jason giambi was the day he signed with the yankees.

Who wants to tell him that the A's position players have a higher collective fWAR than the Yankee's position players?

this really takes me back, because this is how i used to compare teams when i was in elementary school.

to me this is no less stupid than the "homers are the best thing you can do" argument.  they are equal.