All things Apple, the tech not the fruit

sachick

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hundreds of thousands of Mac fans cried out "when will Blizzard role out a universal/native WOW client?"

Turns out the answer is now - Blizzard has a native M1 client ready to go.  
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mac-support-update-november-16/722775

iOS and iPad apps and games are hit or miss - devs have the right to prevent them from playing on a Mac.  Also iPad apps have to support keyboard and mouse to be used on the M1 Macs.  

This has been a good thread to read 

Reviews are out and about.

https://www.macrumors.com/review/m1-apple-silicon-macs/

The Verge's Dieter Bohn remarked that "The MacBook Air with the M1 chip is the most impressive laptop I've used in years."

Forbes's David Phelan described the experience as similar to "every time you switch to a new iPhone with the latest processor - everything seems preposterously fast and responsive."

Bohn noted how well the M1 performs, even when using demanding "pro" apps or using multiple apps at a time:

The ‌MacBook Air‌ performs like a pro-level laptop. It never groans under multiple apps. (I've run well over a dozen at a time.) It handles intensive apps like Photoshop and even video editing apps like Adobe Premiere without complaint. It has never made me think twice about loading up another browser tab or 10 — even in Chrome.

Phelan also noticed a considerable improvement in speed when starting-up the ‌MacBook Air‌:

One small thing is the way the computer is instant-on, something we're used to from phones and tablets but not so much from computers. This works brilliantly. In fact, I'm mostly just waiting for the Apple Watch or Touch ID to unlock it if I've been away from the laptop for long enough for it to lock.

Spoiler

Bohn found that the ‌MacBook Air‌ appeared to have very good thermals, despite having a passive cooling system with no fan.

The other differences are all on the inside. There's no fan anymore, for one thing, just an aluminum heat spreader. But even when pushing this machine to its absolute limit, I never felt it get more than a little warm.

Bohn said that while the M1 in the ‌MacBook Air‌ did deliver much better battery life, it was not as good as Apple claimed, and did not perform as well as the new MacBook Pro.

I'm getting between eight and 10 hours of real, sustained work depending on how hard I am pushing it. That's not quite 50 percent better than the last ‌MacBook Air‌, but it's very close... the Pro is consistently getting a couple more hours on a charge

The area most criticized by reviewers was the ‌MacBook Air‌'s camera, which Bohn said was barely improved:

Unfortunately, that similarity extends to the webcam, which is still 720p resolution and still terrible. Apple has tried to borrow some of its real-time image processing from the ‌iPhone‌ to try to spruce up the image — and I do find that it does a better job evenly lighting my face — but mostly what I notice is that it looks bad (only now it's a more processed version of bad).

MacBook Pro

TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino said that "the M1 MacBook Pro runs smoothly, launching apps so quickly that they're often open before your cursor leaves your dock... Every click is more responsive. Every interaction is immediate." Much like Phelan, he described it as feeling "like an iOS device in all the best ways."

The Verge's Nilay Patel discussed the better thermal design of the MacBook Pro, since it uses an active cooling system with a fan. However, Patel did not notice much of an improvement over the ‌MacBook Air‌:

The Pro seems to have a better, more effective thermal design than the Air overall: we ran our standard 4K export test in Adobe Premiere Pro several times, and the fan never came on, but export times stayed flat...

It's actually hard to get the fan to turn on in general. Things that instantly light up the fan on an Intel-based 16-inch MacBook Pro, like Google Meet in Chrome, barely register on the M1 MacBook Pro. Unless you are routinely pushing heavy sustained workloads on your laptop, the performance difference between the Air and Pro is really not noticeable.

Patel said that he "easily" got "10 hours on a charge and had to really push things to drain the battery in eight hours". Moreover, much like the ‌MacBook Air‌, Patel chastised the camera:

We really considered giving these machines 10 out of 10 review scores, but this camera is bad enough to keep that from happening, especially on a pro laptop that costs more than the Air.

Mac mini

The Verge's Chris Welch indicated that M1 chip in the Mac mini was able to perform better due to its improved thermal design:

And since Apple doesn’t have to account for the tight confines of a laptop enclosure with the ‌Mac mini‌, the M1 chip can hit the very best speeds it’s capable of and sustain them without throttling. Heck, I never even heard the fan spin up during repeated 30-minute Cinebench tests or when transcoding several 4K Blu-ray rips back to back. The mini has stayed silent no matter how hard I work it.

PC Mag's John Burek had a similar experience, commenting: 

In the course of testing, one big thing we noticed: Through all these benchmarks, pressing the CPU and GPU to their presumptive limits, the ‌Mac mini‌ was whisper quiet... It didn't rev up noticeably at even the peak of a Handbrake conversion grind, or after a series of six consecutive GPU game benchmarks. And the chassis stays remarkably cool throughout. There was no point in external thermal testing because the chassis was barely warm to the touch, anywhere on the surface, even at peak activity.

Burek found that the ‌Mac mini‌ performed better than the ‌MacBook Air‌ and MacBook Pro, but not by a wide margin:

The ‌Mac mini‌, with its more liberal cooling scheme and extra GPU core, outpaced them both, but all three are in the same rough ballpark. 

Yet Welch was disappointed that, in spite of the fact that it is more power-efficient, the M1 chip does not yield a reduction in power usage:

Battery life isn't a factor on the ‌Mac mini‌, of course, and the M1 mini uses the same 150W power supply as the Intel model, so if there are power efficiency gains, they're not obvious.

He was also downcast about the ‌Mac mini‌'s loss of two Thunderbolt 3 ports:

Apple has gone from four USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 ports to just two — plus the pair of USB-A ports that are still present. Technically, the USB-C ports are more advanced (USB 4), and you can daisy-chain Thunderbolt devices to your heart's content. But there's nothing more convenient than built-in ports, and looking at this objectively, it's a downgrade for the mini's expandability.

Burek downplayed the loss of the two additional Thunderbolt 3 ports on the ‌Mac mini‌, however:

Is fewer Thunderbolt ports than before a major issue? For most casual users, not really. We'd be hard-pressed to drum up four Thunderbolt 3 peripherals in PC Labs at one time, never mind on our individual desks. If you’re using an HDMI-connected monitor, you have two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports to play with. Also, some Thunderbolt 3-compatible peripherals support daisy chaining, so you aren't necessarily going to feel the pinch if you have more than two devices, depending on what they are.

Welch rebuked the ‌Mac mini‌'s internal speaker, saying that "it's the kind of speaker you'll never, ever want to use."

It's tinny, hollow, and just plain bad; even the macOS Big Surstartup chime sounds embarrassing compared to my thunderous 16-inch MacBook Pro. Considering the speaker advancements Apple has made with its laptops, I wish it would put in some more effort here.

More Reviews

MacBook Air

MacBook Pro

Mac mini

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

steve jobs is jerking off in his grave

Pretty much.  I was skeptical early on, but everybody and their brother is saying that this is the real deal.

This guy was playing around with a couple of video editing apps on the entry-level MacBook Air, in DaVinci Resolve 16 (he avoided 17 as it had an M1 version) and Premiere, both of them running under Rosetta 2, and he had no problems moving back and forth scrubbing rapidly, etc.  Even if, as expected, heavy exporting will take quite a while, and maybe slower on these, a lot of people don't give a shit as long as they can edit rapidly,, and will happily be able to buy a cheap MacBook Air.  If you're just cranking out YouTube videos, this is a perfect machine.

Even the PC-oriented magazines are raving about them.

I'm thinking the MacBook Air with 16GB will be my next upgrade/purchase.  I'm not going to be doing hours-long videos.  Still can't believe how much faster this thing is than my 2018 Mac mini.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/macbook-air-m1-2020

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/apple-macbook-air-m1-late-2020

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even the PC-oriented magazines are raving about them.

I'm thinking the MacBook Air with 16GB will be my next upgrade/purchase.  I'm not going to be doing hours-long videos.  Still can't believe how much faster this thing is than my 2018 Mac mini.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/macbook-air-m1-2020

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/apple-macbook-air-m1-late-2020

anandtech did another suite of test and its smashing it in efficiency.

just came out of a costco, hoping the laptop might be in physical stock there (online says delivery nov 30th), and asked the lanky teenage employee stalking the computer section if its available...

..."youre talking about the new one?  no, its not supposed to be available for another 3 months atleast, it was barely announced, and they havent even sent out review samples.  ill give you some advice, youre better off sticking to your existing laptop, i predict there will be lots of software compatibility issues, and apple lies about benchmarks about being better than 98% of competitors -- what does that even mean?  i think its going to be a disaster"

lmao, thanks bro. 

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

anandtech did another suite of test and its smashing it in efficiency.

just came out of a costco, hoping the laptop might be in physical stock there (online says delivery nov 30th), and asked the lanky teenage employee stalking the computer section if its available...

..."youre talking about the new one?  no, its not supposed to be available for another 3 months atleast, it was barely announced, and they havent even sent out review samples.  ill give you some advice, youre better off sticking to your existing laptop, i predict there will be lots of software compatibility issues, and apple lies about benchmarks about being better than 98% of competitors -- what does that even mean?  i think its going to be a disaster"

lmao, thanks bro. 

About what you would expect from a Costco computer "expert".

fuck it, just ordered an Air with the 8-C-GPU 8/512 config for pick up in a few hours at a mall. 

i actually slightly prefer the slab MBP form factor as the air isnt appreciably smaller in volume or lighter in weight... but saving some money to keep traditional F keys and not losing any ports so not gonna complain

will need to buy a USB-C port or hub of some sort though

12 minutes ago, tigol said:

A couple of weeks ago my 2015 Air was slowing down.  I got frustrated and bought a new Pro without googling.  I don't keep up with this shit.  Intel version.

I'm happy with it, but should I return it for the M1 version? 

Depends. Did you get the lower end 1.4 ghz pro or the 2.0gbz Pro? The easiest way to tell is count the USB-C ports on the side.

2- lower end

4- higher end

If 4, keep it, Apple did not rev that model.

if 2, I might. The reviews are pretty fantastic. My seed units have not come yet, but am expecting to test all 3 new models later this week.

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

Not knowing your laptop needs or the type of software that you use daily, you might be better off taking it back.

Thanks!  It's not my work computer, so this is my surly/email/text machine.  Or, so I thought.  I had an iMac and loved it, but due to my husband working from home and taking over the office, the pro seemed like a good compromise.  I was asked to put together a little iMovie similar to what I did on the old iMac and the Air just froze.  Pissed me off. 

7 minutes ago, tigol said:

Thanks!  It's not my work computer, so this is my surly/email/text machine.  Or, so I thought.  I had an iMac and loved it, but due to my husband working from home and taking over the office, the pro seemed like a good compromise.  I was asked to put together a little iMovie similar to what I did on the old iMac and the Air just froze.  Pissed me off. 

If this is primarily your surly machine, you need to upgrade to a $7000 Mac Pro.

All seriousness; if those are your needs, you need to hit up some of the reviews on the web and seriously contemplate returning your laptop for one with the new Apple processors.  The reviews are universally positive, and the computers with Apple silicon are vastly superior to their Intel predecessors.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

10 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If this is primarily your surly machine, you need to upgrade to a $7000 Mac Pro.

All seriousness; if those are your needs, you need to hit up some of the reviews on the web and seriously contemplate returning your laptop for one with the new Apple processors.  The reviews are universally positive, and the computers with Apple silicon are vastly superior to their Intel predecessors.

LOL.  Thanks.  I'll probably return it for the Apple chip.

8GB ram is doing well so far.  With  my typical workload im consuming about 6GB.  of course more overhead would be better, but im also curious how quickly it manages the memory swap when ram is overloadded.

Performance is ultra snappy.  Only slow thing so far is a Tastyworks brokerage software

And Firefox is a bit wonky, sometimes the interwebs just pauses on it.  Safari works fine.

Edited by 52-80

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit ton of gaming benchmarks throughout 

https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/

I am impressed with the non-optimized stuff.  I’m beginning to think that if VMWare and Parallels get things working properly, which they are working on, that VM might not be too bad (outside of Windows gaming).

21 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

It is, using it right now on a 16 inch pro.

Edit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/download-app

nice.  i was trying to go through the appstore - thought it wasnt there because its not approved for M1 or whatever.

(in fact im confused about how/why people publish free-apps on appstore vs externally, both for windows and for mac)

other bummer is netflix doesnt have app for mac laptops , but it does for windows.  required to download movies offline

Edited by 52-80

I do not like Apple, but holy shit their M1 SOC is a fucking game changer. This may also explain why the 2019 MB Air has such shitty thermals and cooling. I think Apple was ready to debut the M1 in last years Air and had to make a last minute change to the traditional Intel chipset. Their putting everything including RAM on the same SOC is a monumental game changer. Everything works like magic. But they now control RAM and can charge $200 for going to 16GB from 8GB. Apple going to continue to rape people and people will smile while getting raped.

This is a good for laptops in general. One of the major issues with moving to ARM based SOCs in laptops is software compatibility. With Apple hugely successful move to ARM1, software companies must now code for ARM arch and not just x86. Will be interesting to see if any new bigger non-enterprise software are coded in x86. I think most all laptops in 3-4 years will run ARM SOCs.

Intel has to be shitting bricks. They are going to way of the dinosaur. AMD is partnered with Samsung on ARM chipsets. Sammie's new Exynos chips are FINALLY not shit. Their new gen ARM stuff is kicking the shit out of Qualcomm ARM chips (prob thanks to ADM input/help), but still lag tremendously behind Apple's M1. Give AMD/Sammie a few more years and they should be comparable to Apple's ARM chips.

Intel is probably mostly dead.

https://daringfireball.net

I’ve told this story on podcasts, but I’m not sure I’ve ever written it, and I think the time is right. Steve Jobs was on medical leave for the first half of 2009. When he returned in early summer, he devoted most of his attention and time to crafting and launching the original iPad, which was unveiled in April 2010. After that, he had meetings scheduled with teams throughout the company. One such meeting was about MacBooks. Big picture agenda. Where does Steve see the future of Mac portables? That sort of thing. My source for the story was someone on that team, in that meeting. The team prepared a veritable binder full of ideas large and small. They were ready to impress.

Jobs comes in carrying a then-brand-new iPad and sets it down next to a MacBook the team had ready for demos. “Look at this.” He presses the home button on the iPad: it instantly wakes up. He does it again. The iPad instantly wakes up. Jobs points to the MacBook, “This doesn’t do that. I want you to make this” — he points to the MacBook — “do that” — he points to the iPad. Then he picks up the iPad and walks out of the meeting.

Steve Jobs would have fucking loved these M1 Macs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Crossover is now runing native Windows apps:

https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/jwhite/2020/11/18/okay-im-on-the-bandwagon-apple-silicon-is-officially-cool

The new Apple Silicon-based Macs have dropped and the reviews are very positive. They've delivered faster machines that use less power, and they run CrossOver 20 brilliantly!

We have a range of the new systems on order. But we got impatient and discovered that our local Best Buy had the cheapest Macbook Air in stock, so we bought it and loaded CrossOver 20.0.2 onto it.

We also installed the beta version of Big Sur 11.1, because we know it has some critical fixes to Rosetta. After we did that, we were able to fire up CrossOver and install and run a wide range of Windows applications. We got Quicken to work: 

quicken500.png

and we were even able to have a satisfying session of Team Fortress 2:

That's incredible when you consider that we're on literally the cheapest Apple Silicon device you can buy - one that gets thermally throttled and is missing a GPU core.

I can't tell you how cool that is; there is so much emulation going on under the covers. Imagine - a 32-bit Windows Intel binary, running in a 32-to-64 bridge in Wine / CrossOver on top of macOS, on an ARM CPU that is emulating x86 - and it works! This is just so cool.

Now it isn't perfect; Team Fortress 2 showed some lag. I think we've got some work to do on that front.

Well, for those of us not upgrading hardware in the near future, Big Sur is alright.

I quit trying to use cDock and my dock problems vanished.  Also, for some reason I don't recollect, I had "reduce opacity" on, which is what made the stock dock fugly, especially in dark mode.

Everything seems to be running pretty well.  I prefer Firefox over Safari, but think Safari will get some mobile use because it doesn't generate the "Using Significant Energy" prompt.  It has gotten use for that reason in the past also, but was more likely to become a battery hog than it seems to be now and also works a bit better here and there.

Libre Office runs fine.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Joanna Stern (WSJ tech writer) purposefully tried to slow it down and/or kick the fan out.  She had 30 Chrome tabs, played a video game, then started with the Youtube videos and it still didn't slow down.

On a side note, she has done very well for herself - I can remember when she was at one of the medium-sized blogs covering laptops, and we corresponded a few times over some stuff (I was also writing on a tech blog, but I am not WSJ material).

One thing I've been seeing in some of the more in-depth reviews - because the storage is so very fast, and because of the unified memory, it is swapping to the drive a lot more than people realize, while still always leaving a little room in memory.

MacOS Office 2016 was functionally deprecated compared to windows , and i read that Microsoft would focus on making it better

Using Office 2019 now (through O365 subscription) and the thing looks even more mickey mouse and childish.  Word, Powerpoint, and Excel look okay.  Outlook is so goofy though, it looks like email for kids

Edited by 52-80

8 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Well came here to ask about the iPhone 12 and now thinking about upgrading the laptop. Fuck me.

anyway, my 11pro max came with a bad ass charger, the 12 pro max just a cord. Did I get stiffed? Any reason why the new phones don’t have a bad ass charger?

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphone-no-charger-gallium-nitride/

The company's reasons are straightforward. "Customers already have over 700 million Lightning headphones, and many customers have moved to a wireless experience," said Lisa Jackson, vice president of environment, policy, and social initiatives at Apple, during Tuesday's iPhone launch event. "There are also over 2 billion Apple power adapters out there in the world, and that's not counting the billions of third-party adapters. We're removing these items from the iPhone box, which reduces carbon emissions and avoids the mining and use of precious materials."

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Any reason why the new phones don’t have a bad ass charger?

Future archaeologists are going to wonder what kind of significance all of these little cables and blocks had in our lives, that surely they must have been a part of some kind of religious rituals we engaged in, because there were dozens of them for every man, woman, and child on this planet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Well came here to ask about the iPhone 12 and now thinking about upgrading the laptop. Fuck me.

MacBook Air , 16GB, 512GB or 1TB drive.  You know you want to do it.

I've probably watched 15 or 20 random YouTube videos of the damn things, everything from comparisons to the Intel Macs to MacBook Air vs Pro, to how well they game, etc.

And in watching those videos, there was never once a thought of "okay, these M1 Macs aren't really that powerful and efficient, and aren't worth the money."

They finally moved past the need for the Reality Distortion Field.

It's just a matter of time now:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/27/developer-successfully-virtualizes-windows-on-m1/

Using the open-source QEMU virtualizer, Graf was able to virtualize the Arm version of Windows on Apple's M1 chip, with no emulation. Since the M1 chip is a custom Arm SoC, it is no longer possible to install the x86 version of Windows or x86 Windows apps using Boot Camp, as was the case with previous Intel-based Macs. However, he said in a Tweet that when virtualized on an M1 Mac, "Windows ARM64 can run x86 applications really well. It's not as fast as Rosetta 2, but close."

On 4/8/2018 at 4:16 PM, atomheartbevo said:

They are not switching to ARM.   Adobe won't even try to support ChromeOS/ARM with its flagship apps because of various issues/performance hits.  

It was just another fucking clickbait article cranked out by a major publication that caused a bunch of people to write their own clickbait articles.

My non-existent ARM-based MacBook Air will be here in 2-3 weeks.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/02/windows-on-m1-macs-run-arm-virtualization/

Last week we saw the first successful virtualization of ARM Windows 10 on an M1 Mac. The good news is that it even appeared to be “pretty snappy.” Now we’ve got a look at a helpful walkthrough and peek at real-world performance in a new video, including the M1 Mac mini blowing away Microsoft’s Surface Pro X.

Alexander Graf was the first to successfully run an ARM Windows virtualization on an M1 Mac. He used the QEMU open source machine emulator and an Insider Preview of Windows.

Now, based on the work by Graf, there’s a new build of the open source ACVM launcher (by Khaos Tian and 3 others) that works with QEMU to run ARM Windows on ARM Macs.

YouTuber Martin Nobel shared a useful video of the process to run an ARM Windows virtualization on Apple Silicon as well as a real-world look at the overall impressive performance considering it’s an unofficial workaround. 

Impressively, the Martin’s M1 Mac mini benchmarked much higher than Microsoft’s Surface Pro X…almost doubling the single-core score, and coming in almost 2,000 higher in the multi-core score. Sure it’s not a desktop like the Mac mini, but you can get about the same performance from the $999 M1 MacBook Air, a closer competitor to the $999 Surface Pro X.

Screen-Shot-2020-12-02-at-11.38.20-AM.pn

• 3 weeks later...

Was pumped to get the M1 pro even though it was 13”. Waited a week or so after it came to get ready to migrate my data...I have about 1.5 TB so I back up to drives A, B and C before I move over. Then I realize after reviewing the machine online again that it only has two USB C ports on one side of the machine. I use an external monitor at my office and the power connector...so that leaves me with zero ports left. I mailed it back unopened and have an intel driven 15” coming in...looks like I’ll grab it when it’s in the bigger machines...but damn I wanted that Apple silicon.

On a positive note, the AirPods Max are pretty damn impressive.

5 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Was pumped to get the M1 pro even though it was 13”. Waited a week or so after it came to get ready to migrate my data...I have about 1.5 TB so I back up to drives A, B and C before I move over. Then I realize after reviewing the machine online again that it only has two USB C ports on one side of the machine. I use an external monitor at my office and the power connector...so that leaves me with zero ports left. I mailed it back unopened and have an intel driven 15” coming in...looks like I’ll grab it when it’s in the bigger machines...but damn I wanted that Apple silicon.

On a positive note, the AirPods Max are pretty damn impressive.

Bro get an Anker USB hub for 30$ it has multiple TB/USBc with power pass through, usbA, sd slots, hdmi, and even Ethernet. 

Anyway it’s all about the Apple Car now

• Hook 'Em 1