All things Apple, the tech not the fruit

sachick

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Bro get an Anker USB hub for 30$ it has multiple TB/USBc with power pass through, usbA, sd slots, hdmi, and even Ethernet. 

Anyway it’s all about the Apple Car now

Do you know of splitting USB C affects performance in a way? I also didn’t like that all ports...even holding a splitter were on one side of the machine.

4 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Do you know of splitting USB C affects performance in a way? I also didn’t like that all ports...even holding a splitter were on one side of the machine.

i think there is some limit to the how many displays you can daisy chain and their resolution and refresh rate... but people have driven multiple monitors so to use for just a single monitor is not a problem.  the anker ones also support 60,80,100W, so the hub itself can support lots of accessories being hooked up as well push full power to the laptop

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

About what you would expect from a Costco computer "expert".

I'm going to share my CompUSA story from 15 years ago.

I have yet to locate a 360 and was out shopping for other things this evening. I decide to duck into the local CompUSA to see if maybe I might luck into a shipment. A salesman (boy, whatever), seeing me lingering around the 360 kiosk, asks me if I’m looking for an Xbox 360.

“Just seeing if you might have one or two floating around," I reply.

“No, but we get shipments in every Monday.”

“Really? Today’s Monday. Did you already sell them all?”

“We didn’t get a shipment in today.”

“But you said 'every Monday'.”

“If we get them, they come on Mondays.”

So I let that just slide, seeing as this conversation will turn into a cross between teaching my mom how to use the VCR for the 1,000th time and Abbott and Costello’s “Who’s on First?” routine. He then proceeds to ask if I have seen the recall, saying every single unit released would overheat within an hour of turning it on and they would actually melt the casing.

“Why would you keep selling it if you know they are going to overheat and turn into a giant steaming pile of melted plastic, possibly burning down a customer’s home?” I ask, knowing CompUSA would probably face some liability in selling a faulty product that could quite possibly kill everyone that bought the console, if they knew that for a fact.”

His answer?

“There’s a demand.”

Well…Johnny here obviously just finished his freshman economics class at community college, with, I’m guessing, about a C-.

Before I can even form a response, he adds, “You’r best bet would be to wait and get the PS3. It’s over 200 times more powerful than the 360 and is going to change things. It’ll be out by the time we get another shipment of 360’s.”

“That’d be on a Monday, right?”

“Probably.”

I haven’t been into CompUSA in over a year. For the past month they have been advertising revamped stores with product specific customer service so that the customer can intelligently compare products and make an informed purchase.

Apparently, the Austin stores haven’t gotten the memo.

Edited by Deej

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 8:21 AM, Tailgate said:

Cheap hubs are frying the M1s, so be very careful.

On a sidenote, have been using my M1 MacBook Air for a few days.  Holy shit, it actually lived up to the hype and RDF.

I just setup Parallels Desktop (virtualization software) tonight with Windows 10 on ARM (the latest supports x86 emulation), and it's running all of my Windows x86 apps that I throw at it, and all of my older Mac apps are running fast as shit under Rosetta2 or whatever as well.  It's faster than my 2018 Mac mini, which has a 6-core i7 in it, with twice as much RAM, both in the Windows virtualization, and in normal Mac stuff.

Fucking mind bottling.  Memory usage is insanely low, and I've got an M1-optimized Menumetters running (little menu bar app that shows you memory and CPU usage), and CPUs will spike a bit and then come right back down.  Granted, I have no fan in this thing, so I can't easily tell when it's hammering things outside of looking at the menu, but then again, I have yet to get a beachball, and I have yet to wonder if the non-existent fan is going to cause it to lift off like in my older MBA.

I was a doubter about Apple and ARM, but damn.  Was going to keep my Mac mini and get an external GPU for it, but may just sell it and build a small Windows gaming PC.

And I had been a VMWare whore for years, but I'll gladly switch back to Parallels Desktop and Windows on ARM.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey y'all, I'm not a techie so I haven't followed this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been covered.

Just bought the GF the 12 pro max.   

I can't get the bluetooth to connect to the car.   I've never had this problem before.  Is this a known issue?  The car is a 2014 Mercedes.  I can't buy a new car because of the fucking phone. 

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Hey y'all, I'm not a techie so I haven't followed this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been covered.

Just bought the GF the 12 pro max.   

I can't get the bluetooth to connect to the car.   I've never had this problem before.  Is this a known issue?  The car is a 2014 Mercedes.  I can't buy a new car because of the fucking phone. 

My youngest had issues in her Mercedes and updating the iOS (if there is an update) and/or turning phone off and back on while connected seemed to do the trick. 

Curious about this cheap usb-c hub issue. Would that have an effect on an iPad Air? My daughter has one with an external monitor and stuff hooked up. No idea on the quality of the hub

I’m curious too. My Mac guy recommended this one. Isn’t cheap...so hopefully reliable.

09252bb23ca10f047e444c7acc5da5f7.jpg

4 hours ago, Updawg said:

Curious about this cheap usb-c hub issue. Would that have an effect on an iPad Air? My daughter has one with an external monitor and stuff hooked up. No idea on the quality of the hub

A quick peek at /r/iPad doesn't show people bitching.

I think this is a problem for the M1 Macs involving power delivery (PD as the kids call it).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm downloading some massive text files (usenet/email MBOXes, hundreds of MBs) and viewing them with BBEdit, and there is no slowdown at all, and they load pretty much instantly.

If anybody wonders about 8GB vs 16GB, I'm rocking 16GB, and I think 8GB would be fine for most, but macOS will use whatever you give it, and I feel like 16GB future-proofs it a little better (this is going to be my main driver for many years to come - I do not like to change laptops).

• 5 weeks later...

M1 mini checking in. Replaced a 2017 MBP that I always used in clamshell mode, so I decided to forego the screen.

I went 16GB since I use Lightroom and Photoshop.

It has been fantastic. I haven’t had any of the Bluetooth issues (which are apparently fixed in Big Sur 11.2 anyway). I have a bunch of SSDs connected thru a CalDigit TS3+ (used this with the MBP previously). Do recommend.

• Like 1

M1 mini checking in. Replaced a 2017 MBP that I always used in clamshell mode, so I decided to forego the screen.

I went 16GB since I use Lightroom and Photoshop.

It has been fantastic. I haven’t had any of the Bluetooth issues (which are apparently fixed in Big Sur 11.2 anyway). I have a bunch of SSDs connected thru a CalDigit TS3+ (used this with the MBP previously). Do recommend.

I’m excited to see when they drop those things in the 16”. Since I use it for work I’ll probably add on the RAM and SSD even though the prices are straight up robbery.

I hope they offer an elevated GPU as that seems to make a difference running Capture One software.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
39 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Finally bought my first Mac book.

I like it so far.  My one complaint is replacing Ctrl commands (ie copy, paste, etc) with the Command key. The command key is placed too far in on the keyboard to easily use.

Command + Spacebar will change your life. 

well maybe not so much now since windows copied it and introduced it to more of the world, but when it first was out in mac it was dope. 

also I recently bought AirPods Pro after personal skepticism of the 1st and 2nd generation versions. Wow…these guys when they make something, they really knock it out of the fucking park. Crazy good product. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I like it so far.  My one complaint is replacing Ctrl commands (ie copy, paste, etc) with the Command key. The command key is placed too far in on the keyboard to easily use.

I got a used one last year because I have no desire to spend that much money on something I may not use. But I like it. It’s taking some getting used to though.

Command + Spacebar will change your life. 

well maybe not so much now since windows copied it and introduced it to more of the world, but when it first was out in mac it was dope. 

also I recently bought AirPods Pro after personal skepticism of the 1st and 2nd generation versions. Wow…these guys when they make something, they really knock it out of the fucking park. Crazy good product. 

Yeah, AirPod Pro are legit. Use them for work so much.

other good shortcut is when you have any menu open - right mouse button menu, file menu, etc, hold down Option on keyboard and see the menu change.

holding down Shift i think changes from  Copy to Move

in my life i dont think ive ever use the Fn/world key, or control^

On 5/4/2021 at 2:27 PM, CooterBrown said:

The thing that took me the longest to get used to was the lack of a backspace button and only having a delete.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 2:27 PM, CooterBrown said:

There's a setting to swap the buttons if you want it to feel like a windows keyboard.

• 3 months later...

I bought a new iPad (9th gen) yesterday. WTF Apple? The thing is a huge mess. It has a lightning connect, not USB-C (like all of your other shit), no facial recognition, you can’t use Applepay to buy AppleCare, and it seems like every ducking setting you don’t want is on by default. 

and… I really bought it for 1 reason, to run AmpliTube on my guitar amp, and it crashes 100% of the time (works fine on my iPad Pro). 

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty excited about the new Pro's. I have the last gen 15" Pro, and a current gen M1 Air, and just ordered a pretty heavily spec'd 14" M1 Pro (for me at least, didn't go nuts). Should replace both devices.

11/5 is my ETA, so if anyone wants to buy a very gently used Air, hit me up.

Conflicted on the Magsafe thing.  LOVED it initially but now I have USB-C chargers all over the place and going back to magsafe means an extra cable.

Maybe they sell an adaptable magsafe head/adapter seeing as how USB-C can transmit up to 200W now.

Was waiting for the 14" MBP for a long time....but current M1 Air is so damn good I can hold out for a hwile longer

Conflicted on the Magsafe thing.  LOVED it initially but now I have USB-C chargers all over the place and going back to magsafe means an extra cable.
Maybe they sell an adaptable magsafe head/adapter seeing as how USB-C can transmit up to 200W now.
Was waiting for the 14" MBP for a long time....but current M1 Air is so damn good I can hold out for a hwile longer

I think I read that you can still choose to charge via usb-c. I have a ton of external batteries for the laptop and it’s nice to have that option.

43 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I think I read that you can still choose to charge via usb-c. I have a ton of external batteries for the laptop and it’s nice to have that option.

shit yeah thats a good point all thunderbolt ports are power-transferrable

also found out the new magsafe cable is actually a USB-C cable that goes from the power brick, rather than connected directly to the brick.  thats another bonus.  and the fact that the laptop has 14 hours or so of life anyway.

insane stuff from Tim Apple

shit yeah thats a good point all thunderbolt ports are power-transferrable

also found out the new magsafe cable is actually a USB-C cable that goes from the power brick, rather than connected directly to the brick.  thats another bonus.  and the fact that the laptop has 14 hours or so of life anyway.

insane stuff from Tim Apple

Yeah man. Lots of people are excited about this computer. I just pulled the trigger on one. I guess I should have done it last night. The estimated delivery date is 4-5 weeks. Oh well.

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:37 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Pretty excited about the new Pro's. I have the last gen 15" Pro, and a current gen M1 Air, and just ordered a pretty heavily spec'd 14" M1 Pro (for me at least, didn't go nuts). Should replace both devices.

11/5 is my ETA, so if anyone wants to buy a very gently used Air, hit me up.

Just picked up a baseline 14" this week and am loving it so far.  Any luck on finding a sleeve, or case, or condom for this thing?  I was looking for something in leather probably  and might have to go with one of the options that have popped up on Etsy. 

2 hours ago, deft said:

Just picked up a baseline 14" this week and am loving it so far.  Any luck on finding a sleeve, or case, or condom for this thing?  I was looking for something in leather probably  and might have to go with one of the options that have popped up on Etsy. 

Yeah, after having this thing for a month, all I needed was the base. I was looking at my iStay menus sensor history, and the fans have never turned on since Ive owned it.

I’m using a sleeve from an old 13” Pro from like 5 years ago. It fits perfectly. 

So, Monterey seems to have "broken" Time Machine.

I updated and then put off doing a backup because the first one after an OS upgrade is always big and slow, not that that makes all that much difference.

So I finally bit the bullet today and it is glacial.  It's going to take at least 2 hours, probably 4 to do a 2.5GB backup and it may not complete at all according to some threads out there.

Probably not a big deal as the really important stuff is cloud-backed-up using Dropbox, but a significant annoyance.

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Question for Apple dudes. 

I have a MacBook Pro 2016 (Thunderbolt 3) and an older Apple LED Cinema Display that I’m trying to connect. What adapter would I need?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?fnode=7b197873b5d110bb4c4d7a38360c8e444c6ae4e098ab7908075012dd28786378a4017e855d66e2d7103182f7734efb36b397d4211f91f0429e8e7b8e8aec859c8837252b2a8f19f8ea2922cc5afdc52530d9897f8c5118ccd5bda379359a4386

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm sure there are other cheaper versions that might work, but that is what I'm using to connect my old Apple Thunderbolt Display to my current MBP. I think it has the same connector coming from the monitor. 

Otherwise, you will need either a minidisplayport to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor ( Apple does not make one)

Or if this is a really old Apple Cinema Display, you will need a DVI to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. Apple used to make one of these, but they do not anymore to my knowledge.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HN8B2ZM/A/mophie-usb-c-cable-with-mini-displayport-connector

spoke with Apple support and this is what they recommend. I just went ahead and ordered both and hopefully one will do the trick. Thanks for the help 

current monitor

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp597?locale=en_US

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HN8B2ZM/A/mophie-usb-c-cable-with-mini-displayport-connector

spoke with Apple support and this is what they recommend. I just went ahead and ordered both and hopefully one will do the trick. Thanks for the help 

Just an FYI, that is not a female MDP on that cable. Which I think is what you need, as the Apple display cable is a male. 

here's a cheap amazon option.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V828R4Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_TT98KJS34F87WX0QD64X

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/7/2022 at 11:02 AM, UnivTex34 said:

Just an FYI, that is not a female MDP on that cable. Which I think is what you need, as the Apple display cable is a male. 

here's a cheap amazon option.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V828R4Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_TT98KJS34F87WX0QD64X

So out of the 4 cables I bought, this one (also the cheapest) was all I needed 

• 8 months later...

Any input on AirPod pros? I have Airpod Max headphones that I use all the time and love. I’ve avoided regular airpods and thrown away every set of apple earbuds I’ve gotten because they just fall out of my ears. The tips on the pro seem like they would solve that issue. Are they comfortable?  How is transparent/noise canceling?