28 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the AL Rookie of the Year?

• Andujar
    • Ohtani
    • Torres
    • Wendle
    • Other -- Make your case in the comments

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/04/18 at 09:20 PM

16 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

We'll never know, because there's no way to look that kind of thing up.

I googled it and I’m still unsure if it’s 104 or 114 total. Thanks for the pissy response though. 

Regardless he hasn’t played enough to be worthy of the award over an everyday player imo.

Andujar is basically the worst player in MLB at defense:

1.  UZR (which I think is OK for 3B) has him absolute last in the majors, without even adjusting for the time he was in the minors: https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=23,a

2.  Also, 2nd-to-last in the majors in DRS (again without adjusting for playing time): https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,a

He's literally like having David Ortiz play 3rd base, which is why his WAR looks so unbelievably low for a guy with a 128 RC+.

Edited by Beau Vine

I'll go to my grave decrying the use of defensive metrics as a tool for player evaluation. 

I don't need sabermetrics to tell me that Andujar sucks at defense, I've seen more than enough of his 2-story tall throws to first to form my own opinion. Is it THAT bad enough to exclude him from the AL ROY? I would say no. He's had a record-breaking year with the bat and has done more than enough to make up for the shoddy defense. 

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

I'll go to my grave decrying the use of defensive metrics as a tool for player evaluation. 

I don't need sabermetrics to tell me that Andujar sucks at defense, I've seen more than enough of his 2-story tall throws to first to form my own opinion. Is it THAT bad enough to exclude him from the AL ROY? I would say no. He's had a record-breaking year with the bat and has done more than enough to make up for the shoddy defense. 

It's not that his defense excludes him; it's that his defense was (to your point) bad, and that should be considered. That and his low OBP tip the scale to Ohtani IMO. Ohtani was the better hitter, albeit in fewer ABs, and threw 52 very good innings. 

I agree with you that defensive metrics are not precise, and that Andujar is a good player even with his shoddy defense. He has a case for the award, I just think Ohtani's case is better. 

• 1 month later...