Finally: Wheel of Time being made by Amazon and Sony

atomheartbevo

14 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

uh yeah, thanks for the heads up.

I've read the series 3 times and don't recall at any point Jordan referring to the Red Ajah sisters as "all homely or butt ugly".

It's inferred. They are female incels.  I see nothing wrong with those choices. 

16 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

It's inferred. They are female incels.  I see nothing wrong with those choices. 

"Implied" is the word you're looking for, and again, from reading the series 3 times, I never got the impression the Red Ajah was loaded with fugs. And seeing as how Jordan spent several hundred pages describing braid tugging and Aes Sedai beauty secrets, you're inferring something not based on facts.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Starts this Friday, initial reviews seems to be its OK and some of the effects are lacking. The Expanse also started out as just OK so who knows.

Watched a few WOT book nerd reviews earlier today where they didn't get into specifics (embargo is not up yet I guess), and they seemed satisfied and basically said the changes that were made had to be made due to pacing of the book and/or not having the season be 20 episodes long.  They did say that non-book readers would not even realize it because the flow works better or something.  They seemed happy with the casting and said the effects in the trailers had been refined/altered for the release.

Fingers crossed.  Read some reviews which seem to be all over the place (critics got the 1st 6 episodes.)  It looks like they're going to include material from the prequel. I never got around to reading the prequel even though I've read the series a few times so maybe I can be surprised by some things.

It looks like they decided to forego the "ageless face" of an Aes Sedai so I'm still left to wonder what Jordan meant by a group of women with "ageless faces"

Please don't screw this up Amazon....

On 11/16/2021 at 6:02 PM, Michael Knight said:

Starts this Friday, initial reviews seems to be its OK and some of the effects are lacking. The Expanse also started out as just OK so who knows.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Season-1/dp/B09F59CZ7R

Actually the first three episodes are now available.  Amazon releases at midnight GMT.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I turned the first episode off halfway through which is rare for me. I’ll wait to get the surly consensus but I wasn’t digging it. Uninteresting characters and a too-bright, kind of Harry Potter feeling world.

Same.  Casting is dog shit for the most part.  Witcher level of bad.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

The CGI is shitty.  I don't think Uncle Jeff is going to be very happy with what all his money got him.

The book has enough fans that will watch it all the way through, and I'm guessing changes will be made for the next book.

I will finish the series, but I expected it to start out slow, but it's damn slow.

If you want to do a deep dive, this guy is one of the YouTubers obsessed with the WoT series, and he's on Amazon's after-show show or whatever.

And he's absolutely right, the cold opening of the first episode was absolute shit, but it did improve.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 11/16/2021 at 5:02 PM, Michael Knight said:

The Expanse also started out as just OK so who knows.

I need to go back and actually get through the whole show but I remember the Expanse being pretty quality from the get go. At least production value-wise which seems to be an early compliant with this one. 

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

watched all 3 last night, spent most of it trying to remember if it was in the book that i read 20+ years ago. 

I reread the first book in anticipation and it was a big mistake. The changes they made are jarring. I understand artistic license and having to add/omit for pacing, but JFC. I only got through one episode, maybe things will get on track deeper into the show.

3 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

I reread the first book in anticipation and it was a big mistake. The changes they made are jarring. I understand artistic license and having to add/omit for pacing, but JFC. I only got through one episode, maybe things will get on track deeper into the show.

Episodes 2 and 3 play much closer to the books than episode 1. I agree there were lots of liberties taken in the first episode but I knew they were coming so it didn't upset me. Mats parents were my biggest issue. 

I’m a huge bookfag, I also reread them a year ago in preparation for the show, so I’ll stick around watching it all the way through. I get some of y’all’s complaints though, I think the story itself is great so I keep hoping it improves, but yeah the cgi kinda sucks.

what the fuck was up with Perrin having a wife that he kills? Like why is that even a thing? I thought it was funnier to have that ongoing joke where they were all awkward with woman and each one thought the other one was better at talking to women

57 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Reveal hidden contents

what the fuck was up with Perrin having a wife that he kills? Like why is that even a thing? I thought it was funnier to have that ongoing joke where they were all awkward with woman and each one thought the other one was better at talking to women

I read them about 2 years ago, but IIRC that was all internal monologue, not saying they couldn’t do it, just that it wouldn’t naturally apply from the source material.

I'm glad they are making a go at this, and me thinks it will get better, but the best part of Wheel of Time is that Rosamund Pike is getting a helluva lot of attention on the social media sites.

Which means you can get on those sites and talk about how Wheel of Time is the biggest fantasy series that Rosamund Pike has done since Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire when she played Fleur Delacour.

Now many will know that it was actually Clémence Poésy, but they are still going to have a strong urge to check Wikipedia or IMDB before chewing you out, and then they will get even more pissed off when they realize

Tommy Lee Jones I Dont Care GIF

I havent read the books, but so far, the first 3 episodes seem like a live-action Forest Gump run-a-thon, with dudes in horned  suits chasing him as he and his merry band of running enthusiasts (who got smart and jumped on horses), run faster and jump over deep water.

in short,  its basically 3 episodes of them running from the Trollics.   with a smidge of random fantasy-ness mixed in, slightly moving the story along.

considering all the folks filling up their jizz jars for this show getting all excited.... its been pretty slow and honestly, kinda bad.

Maybe because I never read the books I am in the minority here.  But I am gonna have a tough time watching the rest of the series if it doesnt improve.

I read the books, maybe the first 6, a long time ago.  I remember the first 4 or so being great and then he started doing what Martin would later perfect, milking his franchise, just dragging shit out and adding new plot lines with every new book and not ever tying up any of the threads.  I stopped reading and never finished and have never seriously considered a re-read now that someone else finished for him.

The show is far worse than I expected.  Maybe it's because Thrones was so much better than I expected (the TV show, first season).  Casting, script, pacing and acting aside, I can't get over how terrible the special effects are.  Seriously its like something you might stumble on randomly turning on SyFi.  The Trollocs are one step up from a Gwar concert.  Wherever they shot it is pretty dope though, I guess that is where all the budget went.

• Haha 1