Finally: Wheel of Time being made by Amazon and Sony

atomheartbevo

I'm not loving it but I'll at least finish the season out to see if it gets better. The changes from the books don't bother me much in general. But everything to do with channeling just looks stupid. The "battle" scene at the end looked bad and everyone comes out of it seeming weak. I thought episode 4 was the worst episode so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

I made fun of my wife for watching this cheesy Sci fi show. I don't read no good no how so I didn't know anything about this deal. I watched episode 4 and I might be hooked. Went back and watched the first 3 tonight.  Hell of an episode #4 was. Glad I tuned in.

I am more into the story than how they did a shit job of cinematography. 

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 1

Episode 4 was really good. First 3 I was just hoping the series would be good enough to be picked up again.  But episode 4 was damn good. I'm in. Nyneave at the end was cool as shit. Loved how they are portraying logain. The writer of this episode wrote 4 of the game of thrones episodes. Some of the best ones actually

Edited by UTGrad98
GoT writer

54 minutes ago, Dylan383 said:

I think the show is hitting its stride with episode four. Hope they put plenty of money for the series. I’ve heard they are starting to film season two.

I think they are at over half-a-billion dollars and counting.  The first season was very expensive because they built a helluva lot of sets/villages/etc. that they plan on re-using in future season.

They green-lit the second season back in May, well before S1 came out.

And the Lord of the Rings series is in that range as well.  And they are starting on the second season of LOTR even though the first season won't be out for around 9-10 months.

And they are happy with WoT:

https://deadline.com/2021/11/the-wheel-of-time-premiere-ratings-amazon-prime-video-mass-effect-lort-of-the-rings-jennifer-salke-qa-1234879517/

EXCLUSIVE: Amazon Prime Video’s series adaptation of Robert Jordan’s best-selling The Wheel Of Time fantasy novels has come out of the gate strong.

“We can firmly say that Wheel of Time was the most watched series premiere of the year and one of the Top 5 series launches of all time for Prime Video,” Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke told Deadline about the debut, acknowledging that the company — like most streamers  — “try to figure out how transparent we are going to be in the future” with ratings.

Prime Video is among the SVOD platforms that do not disclose viewership data but Salke revealed that “there were tens and tens of millions of streams” for The Wheel Of Time in the first three days of its release, with the US, India, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany as the top countries.

In an encouraging sign for The Wheel Of Time‘s longevity, the series’ first three episode made available at launch also logged some of the highest completion rates on the service ever, Salke added. Additionally, according to third party TV-I, The Wheel of Time was the #1 series on social across all releases last weekend and is the biggest Amazon Original series on social this year.

With its solid Nov. 19 debut, The Wheel of Time, starring Rosamund Pike, is living up to its strong pre-launch tracking. Parrot Analytics earlier this month released data showing The Wheel Of Time outpacing other recent new fantasy series, including Netflix’s hit The Witcher, in global pre-release demand, projecting that The Wheel of Time could have Prime Video’s biggest opening since the Season 2 premieres of The Boys in October 2020 and Indian original Mirzapur in November 2020. (Both The Wheel of Time and The Boys come from Sony Pictures Television, which co-produces them with Amazon Studios.)

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Getting caught up since y’all said it gets better. Jordan definitely read Tolkien. The cursed weapon shoulder injury and the mysterious stranger at the tavern are very similar. 

He was a Baby Boomer and Tokien was a huge deal to him, and he said in interviews that he intended to evoke thoughts of Lord of the Rings with the first book, but he wanted it to be different as well.

He also did two tours of duty in Vietnam as a helicopter door gunner, so....he saw some stuff and some of his work is very dark.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.cinemaexpress.com/english/news/2021/sep/21/donal-finn-replacesbarney-harris-in-amazonsthe-wheel-oftime-season-2-26769.html

Donal Finn replaces Barney Harris in Amazon's The Wheel Of Time season 2
Amazon had announced earlier this month that the first three episodes of the first season will premiere on November 19

CE Features   |   @XpressCinema   |   Published: 21st September 2021

The second season of Amazon's fantasy series The Wheel Of Time is currently in production, and the fresh development is that actor Donal Finn has come on board to play Mat Cauthon, replacing actor Barney Harris who played the role in season 1.

The reason for the recasting is unknown. Season 2 of the series is currently in production in the Czech Republic.

The series is an adaptation of Robert Jordan's bestselling novel series of the same name. Headlined by Rosamund Pike, The Wheel of Time is set in a world where magic exists and only certain women are allowed to wield it. It follows Pike's character Moraine Damodred, a member of a powerful, all-female organisation 'Aes Sedal', who goes on a journey across the world with five young people, one of whom she believes might be the reincarnation of a person prophesied to save or destroy humanity.

Meanwhile, Amazon had announced earlier this month that the first three episodes of the first season will premiere on November 19, with new episodes available weekly on Fridays, leading up to the season finale on December 24. In India, the series will be released in English, with dubs in Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu.

Rave Judkins, who adapted the novels for the screen, will also serve as showrunner. Uta Briesewitz, who has directed the first two episodes, also executive produced the show alongside, Judkins, Larry Mondragon, Rick Selvage, Mike Weber, Ted Field, Darren Lemke and Marigo Kehoe.

Pike also serves as producer with Harriet McDougal and Brandon Sanderson as consulting producers. The series is a co-production between Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television.

Pretty solid episode, a bit emotional and I liked how they portrayed Loial. There is so much to this world that I think they're trying to slow roll it a bit too much, they should start filling in people a tad faster I think. I think we're over halfway through the first season and my gf is still asking me what the different colors of the Aes Sedai mean. 

1.5 eps in and this show looks a LOT like the endless Netflix teen-fantasy series with unlikeable characters who always seem to have a vaguely English accents

also I hte that Rosamund bitch. Rebecca Ferguson would make it so much more watchable

• Hook 'Em 1

What questions do you have, I'm a bookfag who recently re-read them so I can spoiler your answers without actually spoiling anything.

Why is it so boring?

Kidding (kind of). I just don’t know why I should care about anyone on the show. I’m still watching (one ep behind) because I like this sort of stuff. I just don’t know why.

LOTR, for example, is easy to explain: in the fantasy realm of Middle Earth a dark power awakens and it’s up to an unlikely hero and his band of cohorts to undertake a dangerous quest to stop it. Wizards, goblins, orcs and heroes abound in this epic adventure!

Meanwhile WoT needs 1,000 words on Wikipedia to explain the premise.

Maybe I should read the books. But it’s gonna be awhile, I just read Dune and next up is The Stand.

The ONLY thing I've hated is what they did to Perrin...as he was actually my favorite character from the books. Just did NOT like that...but glad we finally saw the wolves.

Didn't realize the White Cloaks were this bad in the books...feels like liberties being taken.

But all in all, not a bad adaption so far.  Some growing pains for sure...but Ep 4 was much better than the ones before it, and I suspect it'll be really good by the end of the first season.

• Hook 'Em 1

It was a good episode.  Glad they got out of the Tower though...the show should really pick up now.

Not sure why "not understanding who the characters are" in season one with TONS of characters is that big a deal.  Same thing for a lot of people with Thrones and Expanse in the first couple seasons.

17 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not sure why "not understanding who the characters are" in season one with TONS of characters is that big a deal.  Same thing for a lot of people with Thrones and Expanse in the first couple seasons.

I can only speak for myself but I probably can't keep the characters straight because I find the story to be boring.  I've had to watch several scenes over because I realized that my phone or ipad distracted me.  Yes, other stories also had many characters who make it challenging for a casual viewer to follow. 

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

It has been a couple years since i read the books, but i don't remember Moraine and Siuan bumping uglies.

New Spring (the prequel book) reveals that they were "pillow friends" but they definitely weren't banging at this point in the story in the books (at least not that we ever saw or were told about).

I definitely wanted more from this episode. Feels like they cut the season too short and are rushing but also kinda not a lot is going on. If the end of this season and then next season aren't better, not sure how long this is going to last.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can only speak for myself but I probably can't keep the characters straight because I find the story to be boring.  I've had to watch several scenes over because I realized that my phone or ipad distracted me.  Yes, other stories also had many characters who make it challenging for a casual viewer to follow. 

That's fair.  If you're not into the story at all, I can see how all the characters and not knowing who they are could be an issue.

I hate to say it, but WoT might be an even bigger world, and have MUCH more world building than GoT early on.  Later seasons would be extremely tough.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's a lot of words to say there weren't enough tits.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:21 PM, immortal13 said:

I hate to break it to Jeff Bezos but this show is nowhere near on the level with GOT. 

Sure, but Jordan died and they still figured out how to conclude the story. 

Martin's been sitting on his ass and not writing for how long now? Shit, just write down the plot from the show and add some stuff. 

I'm still in for as long as they show it, but I understand the criticism. In the books, the characters are supposed to be a bit clueless at this point, and as readers, we get filled in. I think the problem is the show is trying to make the viewers just as lost as the characters are, which makes for confusing and bad television. Each character has some great individual arcs and shines in completely unique ways. By not revealing to the watchers what everybody should know at this point, and doing a slow burn as the characters realize things might turn a lot of people off. I find myself having to pause and answer my girlfriend's questions and provide amplifying information each episode, and it shouldn't be that way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My brother read the books and hasn't watched the show. I'm the opposite.  Talked to him and it seems the show is getting the vibe of the books pretty accurately because we both agreed on the following:

-Nynaeve is a total bitch for no reason

-Moirane, Lan and Egwene are the only ones I haven't spent time hating.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t know how many episodes I’ve watched but I’m still on the fence. Maybe 4. I love the story, but sometimes I get a Xenia Warrior Princess production value vibe.

I swear it's the color palette and them not having the kinks worked out on some of the visual fx.

And I cannot explain why the color palette bugs me, and it's not just an Amazon thing, Netflix shows seem to have a similar look as other Netflix shows, etc.

The colors are too bright and clean and it’s off putting.

ETA: I also think the “men screwed up the world so women have to fix it” thing is really dumb. I can’t tell how big of a plot element that is but it has bugged me since the first episode. I would think it was dumb if it were the other way around too. It’s just dumb. 

Edited by Buzzrock
Dumb
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

ETA: I also think the “men screwed up the world so women have to fix it” thing is really dumb. I can’t tell how big of a plot element that is but it has bugged me since the first episode. I would think it was dumb if it were the other way around too. It’s just dumb. 

It may seem dumb, but it was what Robert Jordan wanted to do after his combat experience in Vietnam, and trying to do something different than Tolkien (who he admired).  The problem is the implementation in the series.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

That makes sense I guess. I wonder if he really thought that women wouldn’t go to war with each other. 

Well, he does blame both men and women for shit that went down and how things are created....and....not sure how to say it without spoiling a major plot line in future books, but...it's just that that's where we are at when the story starts, and how things were implemented within the TV series.  If you stay with the series, you may have a different opinion down the line.   Some of it's influenced by:

Spoiler

The one time he was truly shaken in combat was after he killed a Vietnamese woman.  It bothered the shit out of him, and some speculate that it's a huge influence, bigger than he let on in interviews.

Also, Jordan had a degree in physics and worked as a nuclear engineer for the US Navy after Vietnam and then college, hence the way he treats magic.  He even discusses that:

Spoiler

https://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='vietnam'

QUESTION

How does your knowledge of physics influence your idea of channeling and the Talents involved in the books, such as Traveling, Skimming, etc? Do you have other hobbies or talents that influence your writing?

ROBERT JORDAN

My knowledge of physics influenced channeling to the extent that I have attempted to treat channeling as if it were a form of science and engineering rather than magic. You might say that the Laws of Thermodynamics apply in altered form. I expect that my reading in history has influenced the books more than my knowledge of physics or engineering. I have not tried to copy any actual historical culture or period, but a knowledge of the way things actually were done at various times has helped shape my vision of the world of The Wheel, as has the study of cultures meeting that are strange to one another, and cultures undergoing change, willingly or, as is more often the case, unwillingly. I used to spend summers working on my grandfather’s farm, a very old-fashioned set-up even then, so I have some feel for country life, and I like to hunt and fish, and spent a good part of my growing up in the woods or on the water, so I have a fair feel for the outdoors and the forests, which also helps. And of course, I can use a little of my Vietnam experience. Not for setting out the actual battles, but because I know firsthand the confusion of battle and what it is like to try to maintain some semblance or order while all around you random events are pushing everything toward chaos.

A bit on his Vietnam influence

Spoiler

WILLIAM B. THOMPSON

Whether his war experiences have influenced his fantasy writing, or more, been translated directly into fiction, is difficult for Jordan to say. 

ROBERT JORDAN

"I do think the military characters in my fantasy novels are more realistic in terms of how soldiers really are, how they feel about combat, about being soldiers, about civilians. Beyond that, my time in Vietnam certainly has affected a certain moral vision. Not just based on what happened to me, but on the abandonment of a people who had put everything on the line for us. It started me off on a quest for morality, both in religious and philosophical reading, and in my writing. Again one of the central themes in 'The Wheel of Time' is the struggle between the forces of good and evil. How far can one go in fighting evil before becoming like evil itself? Or do you maintain your purity at the cost of evil's victory? I'm fond of saying that if the answer is too easy, you've probably asked the wrong question."

SENSE OF WONDER (Magazine)

Speaking of coming from a different time and place, it has often been said that your military experience leaves a clear mark on your work. It's a matter of record that you served two tours of duty in Vietnam and your decorations include the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star with "V," and two Vietnamese Crosses of Gallantry. How would you say your military experience is reflected in your Wheel of Time series?

ROBERT JORDAN

My writing doesn't really reflect any of my own personal war experiences, except that I know how it feels to have someone trying to kill you. I don't try to write about Vietnam; I thought I would, once, but now, I don't think I'd be able to. However, I know the feeling of confusion, doubt, and plain ignorance of anything you can't see that exists once fighting starts. I don't think war will ever become so technologically advanced as to completely dispel "the fog of war," so I put those feelings into my writing.

QUESTION

You have been awarded with the Bronze Star and other awards in Vietnam. Would you care to tell us how one or all of those awards came about?

ROBERT JORDAN

(*sigh*) Everyone knows about one way of winning a medal. That is, to see something which needs to be done and to consciously do it at the risk of your life. I never did this. Relatively few people do, which is why we mark out those who do as heroes.

But at other times, you can realize that you are going to die in a very few minutes, except that if you do something incredibly stupid, you might just have a small chance of living. And against all reason, it works. Or you take a step without thinking, and then it's too late to turn back, maybe because turning back is just as dangerous as going on, or even more dangerous, or maybe because you know that you will have to look in the shaving mirror, and that every time you do, you will remember that you turned back. So you keep going. Or perhaps it's because you are with your friends, and you have to back their play, even if it's crazy, because they're your friends, because they've backed your play, even when it was crazy.

I was with a group of men who had a certain air about them, and if you didn't have it when you joined them, you soon absorbed it. A plaque in our day room read: Anybody can dance with the Devil's daughter, but we tell her old man to his face. At a time like that, in a place like that, you're all young and crazy, and if you've been there long enough, you know you're going to die. Not from old age; next month, next week, tomorrow. Now, maybe. It's going to happen, so what does it matter? In the end, for most of us, the medals boiled down to managing not to die. If you're alive when the higher-ups think you should be dead, it discombobulates their brains, so they hang a bit of something on you to balance things in their own heads. That's how it happened for me. That is why I am not I repeat, not! a hero. I just managed to stay alive. And I even managed to get sane again. Reasonably sane, anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I think I would rather he made a Vietnam series 😂 

I would have like to have read it.  I get why he didn't, but I think it would have been a much better perspective/grounding than a lot of the books we got out of Vietnam, that were either non-fiction and ghost-written, or the fictional pulpy adventure types where soldiers are going rogue, getting wounded every week, banging Vietnamese 10s (looks-wise, not age-wise), stealing helicopters to go behind enemy lines, etc.

Yeah, I read a lot of books about Vietnam in the 80s and most of it was crap.

Of course, he left working for the Navy after he fell off of a submarine and was severely injured (which caused him to reevaluate what he wanted to do with this life), so I get why he went down another path.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:56 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I swear it's the color palette and them not having the kinks worked out on some of the visual fx.

And I cannot explain why the color palette bugs me, and it's not just an Amazon thing, Netflix shows seem to have a similar look as other Netflix shows, etc.

I think you’re right about the color palette. I feel like I’m taking acid 

Also feel like it's finally beginning to hit its stride - especially agree about that first scene with the pregnant Aes Sedai kicking ass.

As for the above comments about the color palette, it's something I've noticed as well. Part of the deal is that all of their wardrobes look like they've never been worn before. After days/weeks/months on the road, I'd expect their clothes to look a little more frayed, threadbare, and shabby. Instead, the colors look super bright like the costumes have just been pulled off the rack.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t have the baggage of having read, or even heard of, the books. I like this show a lot.

Rand is a petulant little bitch. And then there’s the Wisdom. What a cunt.

You sure you haven’t read the books lol, next you’ll tell me Perrin is whiny and I’ll know you’re lying.

• Like 1