Home exercise/spin bike

You might consider purchasing a road bike and a trainer.  That way you could ride the bike outdoors or use it indoors in bad weather.  Cycling outside is much better than indoors.

I keep my bike set up on the trainer during the week and then hit the road on the weekends.

What Jerry said.  Though, I go through phases.  There are times when I prefer the trainer for weeks, and there are times when I prefer outdoor life.  There's a whole slate of trainer vids w/ different time increments (see below) that I follow.  I warm up slowly as instructed in the vid.  When I'm prompted to hit the highest power level, I shift to my highest gear, stand, and pedal out of saddle until the time increment reverts back to normal power.

I ride my exercise bike every morning for 45-60 min, but my circumstances are somewhat unique. I work from home FT and needed something I could do to burn calories while still being on the clock. I bought a Fit Desk and I can set my laptop up on it and do emails, IMs, etc while I ride. I ride pretty hard so I try not to scheduled conference calls for first thing in the AM. 

https://www.amazon.com/FitDesk-Exercise-Office-Workstation-Massage/dp/B0747K9MGH

I vote get an actual bike or just join a gym.  IMO you have to be beyond entry level before you are going to get any enjoyment out of stationary cycling, because it gets boring in a room all by yourself.  It's one thing to go to a spin class with friends and another trying to replicate that all by yourself.  You have to be really dedicated to make it work.

My apartment complex recently purchased a Peloton bike for our gym. I love it! The classes are high quality and challenging with different types of classes available. They are paced based on cadence and resistance which is calculated directly by the bike, so when you use the app you don't get that feedback which would take a lot of the value out of the classes in my opinion.

They sure as hell aren't cheap though and some people apparently fuck with the calibration so the leaderboards are all over the place if you are trying to use that as competitive motivation.

We bought a  life fitness gx and really like it. My wife got the Peleton app and likes it a bunch.  Worth it if you need that motivation.

Ps we were getting Peleton bike and two different bike salesmen told us bikes not as high quality as app and to not get bike.  Maybe these guys are haters or not incentivized but talked us out of it and we're good so far. 

Edited by Hornbeliever

16 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

We bought a  life fitness gx and really like it. My wife got the Peleton app and likes it a bunch.  Worth it if you need that motivation.

Ps we were getting Peleton bike and two different bike salesmen told us bikes not as high quality as app and to not get bike.  Maybe these guys are haters or not incentivized but talked us out of it and we're good so far. 

Peloton is a very high quality bike. 

If you get a stationary bike, check craigslist.  This is the type of equipment that people think they'll use but end up selling.  Make sure you'll use it first and then upgrade if needed.

Over the years, I've purchased two Cyclops bike trainers from cl for $100 - both over $300 new.

• 2 years later...

As a person who mountain bikes for fitness and fun, one caveat about cycling is that it is easy to "plateau," to do the same workout over and over, with maybe some variation in length.

Something that varies that, whether it be Peloton workouts, or just having the discipline to change up your "rides" (length/resistance/tempo) with some frequency, is important.

Bumping this thread as we are approaching temps in the low 30's and Covid. 
Is Pelaton that much better of a bike compared to Echelon, or other spin bikes in general? Considering getting one for the garage and just putting an older tv in there as well.

I have a road bike that I ride 2-3 times a month. Why not more? Because I feel like I need to ride 20+ miles for it to even be considered a workout and I consider that a pain in the ass that takes too much time and prep work. I can get the same amount of cardio running 5 miles in 40 minutes.

Last winter I bought a trainer for my road bike to use indoors. Used it less than 5 times and sold it because it’s boring as hell and there is nothing to make me commit to any length of ride. Easy to get bored and simply stop.

I got a Peloton 2 weeks ago and love it so far because I can do a 30 minute ride on my lunch break that’s actually a good workout without using much time. Or I can do a workout while watching sports in the evening when I would normally just sit on the couch. And yes, I could’ve done that with the trainer, but I personally get a lot more motivation and excitement from the interactive nature of the Peloton classes. But that’s just me.

• 3 weeks later...