2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

Tonight's the first game of the pre-season, currently up on the Grizzlies. I assume not many people are watching? Waiting for Melo to check in off the bench tonight.

I am so completely hyped for this season after the way last season ended. I feel like if there is any player in the league who can somehow unlock Melo, it's gotta be Chris Paul.

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Let’s make this the official pre-season thread so we only have to look at the shitty thread title for a couple of weeks.

sure whatever, just wanted to talk rockets unlike some bitches here

• Like 1

It's hard to think we need to swap Gordon for Butler, but man would that be something. 

The starters looked pretty good, Melo wasn't bad, even played some D here and there. 

Gerald Green is going to be an excellent role player all season, god I hope we win a ring with this guy on the roster.

MCW looked pretty good in this game, playing both ways and staying active with rotations. 

Ennis looks like a great pickup to replace Ariza's defense. 

Chriss could be a poor man's Capela, which would be awesome, since depth behind CC was an issue last year. Great for regular season, and at a very cheap rate of 4m per year. 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:42 PM, Mack Tripper said:

It’s more likely than not Ariza is about to fall off the cliff. He’s got a lot of tread on the tires, which showed in the playoffs.

FYI, he either has a lot of tread on the tires meaning several productive years left in his career, or he has a lot of wear on the tires which means he's "about to fall off a cliff." He cannot be both. I happen to think the miles/wear have added up which I think is the point you were trying to make.

11 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

FYI, he either has a lot of tread on the tires meaning several productive years left in his career, or he has a lot of wear on the tires which means he's "about to fall off a cliff." He cannot be both. I happen to think the miles/wear have added up which I think is the point you were trying to make.

My bad. I meant he has a lot of wear on the tires - not tread. He was a one and done at UCLA and played in 80 games his first season as a 19 year old. He'll hit 1,000 regular season games played this year and he's played in over 100 playoff games. 

32 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

My bad. I meant he has a lot of wear on the tires - not tread. He was a one and done at UCLA and played in 80 games his first season as a 19 year old. He'll hit 1,000 regular season games played this year and he's played in over 100 playoff games. 

I assumed...and agree. 

• Like 1

In the end, Ennis might be quite fine as a replacement for Ariza.  Moute wasn't counted on in the playoffs (although he could have helped) so in theory if healthy they could still have a nice wing defensive rotation to switch on Golden State.  I think Boston and Toronto also have potentially very strong defensive rotations to switch hard on Curry (the only way IMHO to beat Golden State in that 10-15% chance range versus 1-5% is to beat up Curry physically as much as possible and double him on traps/switches strategically, make Curry work on defense, switch everything you can to avoid easy three looks, and don't double Durant to leave Curry/Thompson open (ok to double Durant if it leaves Green open) and hope he doesn't go too crazy on iso and let Draymond shoot outside and hope he is at 25-30% or so versus higher 30s) and their outside shooters, but the Warriors are so talented that you just have to hope you are hitting your shots better than they are 4 times out of 7 and that's tough obviously.  If they have a healthy Cousins too, it's even tougher.  Five All-Stars is five All-Stars.

For Houston specifically, switch everything with a strong wing defensive rotation, shoot over 50 threes a game and hope you can hit near 38-40% and no worse than 33-35% and Golden State shoots a lower percentage.  Houston used a very overall good strategy last year, they just didn't execute well enough when it counted.

PG -> Paul, Knight, Carter-Williams

SG -> Harden, Gordon, Green

SF -> Ennis

PF -> Tucker, Melo, Chriss

C -> Capela, Nene, Hartenstein, Qi

Rotation will be 

Paul, Harden, Ennis, Tucker, Capela

Gordon, Green, Melo, Nene

Knight will join that rotation when he gets healthy. Chriss will get Nene's minutes in back to back's or when he needs rest.

Morey is also great at tweaking the roster in February to bring in a vet or two to fill a hole. I'm not too concerned right now, as I think this team will be flirting with 60 wins in the regular season, but it's gonna be tough to beat a full strength Warriors team. Doubt it happens, but we'll see. Gonna be fun to watch these guys though, rooting for some big wins now that we have our big 3 locked up for the next 3 years. 

Edited by Dutchrudder