2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

Last year we beat the Warriors in GS by 1 point. GS lost their first game of the season, limped to the regular season finish, and still won the championship. The first game of the season isn't going to dictate the rest of the season, I need to see a few games to establish a trend, and see if this is what to expect more often than not. Is that too much to ask?  No, last night wasn't a good showing, lots of bad shooting, AD dominated (though that's expected), and defense was a big problem, but that doesn't mean they can't figure it out in the next 81 games. 

Oh who am I kidding, this is the board that wanted to fire Herman after 1 loss, and now you all think you're going to the playoffs. Guess we'll just have to wait for the trend to go back up, so everyone can pump their sunshine again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's one fucking game you idiots

As an outsider who watched a lot of the game, I tend to fall in this camp.... without the idiocy.

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea we are missing our defensive coach. Giving up 130 at home on opening night to a team not named the warriors doesn’t make me think we are competing for a championship.

that was a dantoni led team of the early 00’s

However, I do think this is something to track as the season progresses.  The team lost some defensive lynchpins and nothing may be a bigger blow than Bzdelik.  

Also, Ariza didn't look dead for Phoenix either.

Wait about ten games before trying to read anything but this is also a worse loss than any they suffered all of last year too.  Mirotic was insanely hot, and Randle was really good too.  If those two are consistently playing well, New Orleans is a pretty good team because you know Davis will bring it.

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Last year we beat the Warriors in GS by 1 point. GS lost their first game of the season, limped to the regular season finish, and still won the championship. The first game of the season isn't going to dictate the rest of the season, I need to see a few games to establish a trend, and see if this is what to expect more often than not. Is that too much to ask?  No, last night wasn't a good showing, lots of bad shooting, AD dominated (though that's expected), and defense was a big problem, but that doesn't mean they can't figure it out in the next 81 games. 

Oh who am I kidding, this is the board that wanted to fire Herman after 1 loss, and now you all think you're going to the playoffs. Guess we'll just have to wait for the trend to go back up, so everyone can pump their sunshine again.

Dude we didn’t lose by 1 point at home to the warriors like they did with us, we got blown out at home to the pelicans who at best is a 6-8 seed. It’s not the losing it’s the way we lost the game, we gave up 30 points a qtr. again I’m more worried about how we lost last night than just losing our first game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goatsaag said:

It's one game so pretty crazy to panic, but I really don't like going 20 minutes without a center on the floor against a team as big as New Orleans.

JFC no one is panicking but our defense was atrocious so I hope they get pissed about that. Kind of embarrassing to get rolled by New Orleans at home after what this team accomplished last season.

at the least it showed me how important coach B was to this team after one game. 

16 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Dude we didn’t lose by 1 point at home to the warriors like they did with us, we got blown out at home to the pelicans who at best is a 6-8 seed. It’s not the losing it’s the way we lost the game, we gave up 30 points a qtr. again I’m more worried about how we lost last night than just losing our first game.

The Warriors lost by 29 to the Spurs in Durant's debut two opening nights ago.  It happens.

Honestly, you should probably get used to a few head scratching losses this season.  It's human nature.  Last year, Houston was on a mission to win home court, hone in their defense each and every night to reach elite levels, and prove that they could compete with Golden State.  They accomplished all of that and, to a man, I'm sure that most of the locker room thinks that they should have won the WCF.  Now, they're just biding their time until they get another chance in late May.  That's going to lend itself to some sleepwalking.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The Warriors lost by 29 to the Spurs in Durant's debut two opening nights ago.  It happens.

Honestly, you should probably get used to a few head scratching losses this season.  It's human nature.  Last year, Houston was on a mission to win home court, hone in their defense each and every night to reach elite levels, and prove that they could compete with Golden State.  They accomplished all of that and, to a man, I'm sure that most of the locker room thinks that they should have won the WCF.  Now, they're just biding their time until they get another chance in late May.  That's going to lend itself to some sleepwalking.

To the spurs who were contenders two years ago doesn’t compare to the pelicans. If Houston is a contender I don’t expect a head scratching loss on opening night at home where you get run off the court every qtr. it resembled two years ago after we made the wcf and ended up a 8 seed.

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

To the spurs who were contenders two years ago doesn’t compare to the pelicans. If Houston is a contender I don’t expect a head scratching loss on opening night at home where you get run off the court every qtr. it resembled two years ago after we made the wcf and ended up a 8 seed.

They went 20-8 down the regular season stretch, swept Portland, and gave the Warriors a little resistance.  The only reason they aren't contenders this year is because the Warriors are the standard all teams are judged by these days. Which is a ridiculously high bar. I like the Pelicans to win 50+ games this year. They won 48 last year so that isn't exactly a stretch. 

That doesn't mean the Rockets play in their first game wasn't very disappointing though. It was. 

Exactly and the rockets are supposed to be right behind that standard which is why it bothered me a little more to get blown like we did. They curb stomped us from the tip off to the final buzzer.

anyways, we get to redeem ourselves tonight in LA vs LeBron, our defense though better improve or bron is gonna drop 50 and we will get to watch young guys like kuzma and Ingram have career days. Hopefully harden scores at will too.

i got Houston winning 137-134.