2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

5 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Most people saw this coming

A lot of people were talking about how melo would know it wasn’t his team and how he wasn’t a fit at OKC. Melo isn’t a fit anywhere and even the idea of bringing him in was flawed from the start. Even for free. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jhawk said:

It funny to watch everyone get so excited about melo and then turn on him.  Somehow this clown has tricked everyone into thinking he is a serviceable player and he really isn't.  He is a coach and team killer.  It truly is amazing to see him work.

He didn't get Donovan fired last year, and he's not getting Mike fired now. He's the one getting fired, but at the least the Rockets only let him effect 10 games instead of 82. 

I watched every game and while I’m fine with them trying to mix it up given the 5-7 record I never watched saying “damn melo is fucking this team up bad”. Houston has collectively sucked together and we have injuries. I wasn’t a fan of the signing to begin with but I’m not gonna sit here and say it’s all melo fault we couldn’t shoot or play defense. 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I watched every game and while I’m fine with them trying to mix it up given the 5-7 record I never watched saying “damn melo is fucking this team up bad”. Houston has collectively sucked together and we have injuries. I wasn’t a fan of the signing to begin with but I’m not gonna sit here and say it’s all melo fault we couldn’t shoot or play defense. 

Once again, it isn't something that will ever show up on a stat sheet and the players will never admit that he is bad for a team.  Something just happens to every team he is on and it is never good.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Houston is one of the best teams in +/- with Melo off the court, and the worst with him on the court.

18 minutes ago, huge said:

Regardless, cutting bait quickly shows that the people in charge can admit mistakes and move to correct directly.  That's the positive I guess?

absolutely.  and i think a lot of us thought that carmelo was a low risk gamble that was worth the risk.  doesn't look like it was, but there are still 70 games to go in the season and if these guys can't recover in that amount of time it isn't about bringing in carmelo anthony for a cup of coffee.

^ yup, low risk, high/low reward signing. The team is hungover from last year, and losing Bdzelik was a big deal. Now they have to rebuild the defense from last year that made them contenders. Melo isn't going to help in that regard, and he's already out the door. I don't think he's as bad as the OKC fans want to make him out to be, but he's not enough of a positive to keep around either. We still need to find that Stretch 4 unicorn Morey has been chasing for the last 8 years...

Ok let's summarize this

Things that are Not Melo's fault :

- CP3 got himself suspended for a few games & really looks to be either hitting an age hurdle himself or just playing off

- Brandon Knight & Marquise Chriss are hurt or can't get on the floor

- Harden missed a few games with injuries

- Eric Gordon has looked like sh!t to start the year and has been hurt as well

- Gerald Green has looked like a guy who was on the streets to start the '17 season

However, let's be honest here. The game as it's played now, has passed Melo by. I don't think it's just our system, but I'm not really sure there's a team out there that plays a style where his game would be a positive addition to it. He's a slow footed one-dribble shooter without great handles or play-making ability. Defensively he can't guard any spots on the floor anymore (especially with the freedom of movement calls now being made).

I for one was hoping that coming here, he'd find "Ariza & Luc" type spots on the floor offensively that he could be effective in. I thought, hey - I'd much rather have a shooter with Melo's acumen taking wide-open 3s than either Ariza, Luc or hell PJ for that matter. But his shot(or what thought was a decent 3pt shot) just hasn't come to fruition. I mean Ryan Anderson had a helluva first half last year with us, but we were also playing a lot faster tempo then. I think the slow pace that we now play at also probably didn't help the Melo situation either.

With all that being said, I agree with those that said this was a low-risk/high-reward gamble. Now it's proven that it hasn't worked out, time to cut your losses and move on, imo.

5-2 so far after the 1-5 start isn't too bad. 3 wins against good teams too.

I don't think Melo is at fault at all for the poor start (other than him personally not shooting the ball well), but if he comes back, I think people are looking at it incorrectly if they are wanting him to fill Ariza/Luc's role from last year. The Rockets just need him to fill Ryan Anderson's role while the rest of the team stops playing like trash (in particular Paul and Gordon).

9 hours ago, Horns RD Standard said:

Ok let's summarize this

Things that are Not Melo's fault :

- CP3 got himself suspended for a few games & really looks to be either hitting an age hurdle himself or just playing off

- Brandon Knight & Marquise Chriss are hurt or can't get on the floor

- Harden missed a few games with injuries

- Eric Gordon has looked like sh!t to start the year and has been hurt as well

- Gerald Green has looked like a guy who was on the streets to start the '17 season

I wouldn't concede that any of those aren't Melo's fault.  There's something magical about his ability to fuck shit up.  Really nice guy though - seems you have to legally say that after giving an honest opinion about Melo. 

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I wouldn't concede that any of those aren't Melo's fault.  There's something magical about his ability to fuck shit up.  Really nice guy though - seems you have to legally say that after giving an honest opinion about Melo. 

It comes from the inability to play in a system, the lack of desire to play defense, and the refusal to take care of his body. Most of us knew he was a cancer when he played for Denver. Even then there were still a few holdouts. However, everyone should've been convinced when Lebron was battling in the finals with the very same dudes that Melo couldn't win with in NY.

it’s incredible that Houston management seems to be willing to admit that melo was a mistake and is looking to dump him but posters on this thread are unwilling to admit that melo was a mistake. That’s some dedication to the team right there. Bravo. 

dude, no one here is saying they shouldn't get rid of him.  they should.  all we're saying is that signing melo was not the 1 determining factor in their shit start.  putting all of it on melo is absolving a lot of other guys who deserved shit for the poor start.

if you're too stupid to get that -- and from reading years worth of your posts, you likely are -- i don't know what else to say to you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

dude, no one here is saying they shouldn't get rid of him.  they should.  all we're saying is that signing melo was not the 1 determining factor in their shit start.  putting all of it on melo is absolving a lot of other guys who deserved shit for the poor start.

if you're too stupid to get that -- and from reading years worth of your posts, you likely are -- i don't know what else to say to you.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Orange I agree w you but there were lots of OKC fans laughing at Houston for the move.  And no shortage of Houston fans pompously reacting as if they were above the Melo malaise.  Nope.  It hit right on the spot.  

Houston will go on a nice run now.  It will surprise nobody.  

and 98% of that run will be because the team is getting healthy and the new players are understanding and playing their roles better.

good tidbit from the ringer regarding the past 2 games:

Houston has now won five of its past seven games, but more importantly, the Rockets have consecutive wins over actual good teams for the first time this season, after beating Indiana at home Sunday and the Nuggets on the road Tuesday. In those two wins, they scored a blistering 122.4 points per 100 possessions, with 128 of their 145 field goal attempts (88.3 percent) coming either at the rim or from behind the 3-point line.

It's the Bdzelik effect, we now have a defensive coach who can get these guys to play as a team.

Also, Melo was apparently part of the reason they weren't playing well on D, so fuck him, glad they can admit the mistake and drop him. It will be interesting to see what he does after this, as the 76ers are apparently interested. 

11 hours ago, Jhawk said:

it’s incredible that Houston management seems to be willing to admit that melo was a mistake and is looking to dump him but posters on this thread are unwilling to admit that melo was a mistake. That’s some dedication to the team right there. Bravo. 

Melo on the Rockets not working out and signing Melo being a mistake are two different ideas. I don't think it's a sure thing he couldn't work, but it's also fine if we get rid of him

2 hours ago, goatsaag said:

We're playing better because of a coach who hasn't joined the team yet? Interesting idea but I don't think that's it.

He is actually already back, he was in Pepsi center yesterday working with the team.  I don't think the timing of him coming back, the first game Melo stayed back in Houston, is a coincidence though.

4 minutes ago, Chapo said:

He is actually already back, he was in Pepsi center yesterday working with the team.  I don't think the timing of him coming back, the first game Melo stayed back in Houston, is a coincidence though.

He's rejoining the team after Thanksgiving. He was just already in Denver so was with the team for that game. He has not been with the team for the defensive turnaround from the start of the year when the Rockets have gone from bottom 5 in defense to actually pretty good.

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

ugly first quarter, but shit i'll take it.

i, too, am curious to see brandon knight.

imo Knight is a bit of a paper tiger. Can't stay healthy and has never really played winning basketball in his career. 

Not that he's bad - just that I think he is a little overrated based on the #s he put up for some garbage ass teams.