2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

10 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Thanks. Do you know if the sale of the Rockets included Toyota Center because if it didn't, I am not that was a good deal.  Also I wonder if the NBA isn't looking for trouble when LeBron retires like what happened when Bird and Jordan retired if I remember correctly.

Bird retired in 92. Jordan retired in 2003. Jordan won 4 of his 6 titles in a post Bird NBA. They weren't even the same era really.  

6 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Bird retired in 92. Jordan retired in 2003. Jordan won 4 of his 6 titles in a post Bird NBA. They weren't even the same era really.  

IMO there was a lull in casual fans’ interest in the 2000-2010 decade post-Jordan, with not as much national interest during the Shaq/Kobe and Spurs era. Obviously many Lakers and Spurs fans would disagree, but I don’t think people cared and would be interesting to see if the tv ratings were down during that period. It may or may not be a coincidence that that was the decade when NFL and NCAA FB absolutely exploded in media coverage and $$$.

Lebron’s superteam formation in Miami gave casual fans something to love or hate. The GSW were an interesting team to root for and then hate after they became a dynasty and got KD. NBA is certainly very strong now. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

IMO there was a lull in casual fans’ interest in the 2000-2010 decade post-Jordan, with not as much national interest during the Shaq/Kobe and Spurs era. Obviously many Lakers and Spurs fans would disagree, but I don’t think people cared and would be interesting to see if the tv ratings were down during that period. It may or may not be a coincidence that that was the decade when NFL and NCAA FB absolutely exploded in media coverage and $$$.
Lebron’s superteam formation in Miami gave casual fans something to love or hate. The GSW were an interesting team to root for and then hate after they became a dynasty and got KD. NBA is certainly very strong now. 
I think this is off... shaq/kobe, pistons/pacers fights, orlando, shaq/wade, dirk/mavs, tmac/yao

there was a lot of ball getting watched, but no dominant team to root for or against... I thought that time was best, because everyone thought they had a chance... I think people watch less now.

I appreciated your responses. Another question. First let me remind some of you that when I'm not eating the early bird special, at Denny's, I am either yelling at clouds and they deserve it or threatening kids to stay off my lawn. Hoops  was a big part of my life and I had rocket season tickets from 79 to 95 when Vernon Maxwell was acting like a punk. I haven't spent a nickel on the NBA since.

I recognize that I am no longer in the NBA demographics. My question is if the NBA is turning too hip hop. All the commercials and advertising seem to be hip hop and hoodies on warmups. Seriously?  Just curious and no racist crap please. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I appreciated your responses. Another question. First let me remind some of you that when I'm not eating the early bird special, at Denny's, I am either yelling at clouds and they deserve it or threatening kids to stay off my lawn. Hoops  was a big part of my life and I had rocket season tickets from 79 to 95 when Vernon Maxwell was acting like a punk. I haven't spent a nickel on the NBA since.

I recognize that I am no longer in the NBA demographics. My question is if the NBA is turning too hip hop. All the commercials and advertising seem to be hip hop and hoodies on warmups. Seriously?  Just curious and no racist crap please. Thanks.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

I think this is off... shaq/kobe, pistons/pacers fights, orlando, shaq/wade, dirk/mavs, tmac/yao

there was a lot of ball getting watched, but no dominant team to root for or against... I thought that time was best, because everyone thought they had a chance... I think people watch less now.

Ok, maybe so. I don’t have the motivation to look up year by year tv ratings and ticket sales. I loved me some Yao-TMac, don’t remember NBA being more popular than it was in the 90’s.

so... you're wondering if young black athletes with millions of dollars should be listening to more AC/DC and Pink Floyd?

Or are you wondering why young people, in general, like hip hop?

you're just old. that's all. don't sweat it. everyone wants to be old eventually. you've made it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

so... you're wondering if young black athletes with millions of dollars should be listening to more AC/DC and Pink Floyd?

you're just old. that's all. don't sweat it. everyone wants to be old eventually. you've made it.

You're partially right. I never thought that I would get to this age. I didn.t think I would make it past 10. I didn't communicate properly. What I am wondering is with skyrocketing salaries, can this demographic keep the NBA going financially viable. I have no idea.

4 hours ago, Snacks said:

he's not asking about the players but the ads and promotions targeted towards young fans, mostly of color, who have less money than old white people.  He's asking if the poors/street culture support the inflated NBA salaries. 

Translation: The NBA’s apparent target audience is young people (<30, maybe <25) and black people who like “hip hop”. Can these demographics provide sufficient ticket and merchandise sales to support $170 million max contracts if simultaneously the “hip hop” rubs other demographics the wrong way? Don’t tv contracts, funded through marketing money/commercials, drive the real $$$ so who do companies paying for national tv ads really want to market to?

35 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Translation: The NBA’s apparent target audience is young people (<30, maybe <25) and black people who like “hip hop”. Can these demographics provide sufficient ticket and merchandise sales to support $170 million max contracts if simultaneously the “hip hop” rubs other demographics the wrong way? Don’t tv contracts, funded through marketing money/commercials, drive the real $$$ so who do companies paying for national tv ads really want to market to?

Men In Black movie goers

5 hours ago, Snacks said:

everyone should be listening to more AC/DC and Pink Floyd.

• Like 1

You're partially right. I never thought that I would get to this age. I didn.t think I would make it past 10. I didn't communicate properly. What I am wondering is with skyrocketing salaries, can this demographic keep the NBA going financially viable. I have no idea.
what demographic? who do you think buys all the crap that gets advertised during games? who buys the shoes? who goes to the fast food restaurants? who buys the cars (outside of fleet)? who spends over their means to buy status symbols and whatnot?

the 'demographic' is no more hip-hop today than it was jazz in the 30s-50s, disco in the 70s, hair bands in the 80s, etc... it's youth.

maybe we should have the NBA try to adopt a jazz culture and see how many old people show up to games and buy the stuff on the ads...

it seems (based on the responses) you're confusing youth culture with being black... and thus broke. maybe?
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

what demographic? who do you think buys all the crap that gets advertised during games? who buys the shoes? who goes to the fast food restaurants? who buys the cars (outside of fleet)? who spends over their means to buy status symbols and whatnot?

the 'demographic' is no more hip-hop today than it was jazz in the 30s-50s, disco in the 70s, hair bands in the 80s, etc... it's youth.

maybe we should have the NBA try to adopt a jazz culture and see how many old people show up to games and buy the stuff on the ads...

it seems (based on the responses) you're confusing youth culture with being black... and thus broke. maybe?

Thanks for your response. I don't think that I am confusing anything. I just wonder how the NBA can survive with all of these salaries in today's environment. I am not sure that the NBA could have survived in my day with these salaries adjusted back 25 years. 

11 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Looks like Kyle Korver is getting waived by the Suns. He would be a good guy to fit in D’Antonis system

Can we stop getting old guys? And this also includes Andre Iguodala, even though it isn't a popular opinion.

Thanks for your response. I don't think that I am confusing anything. I just wonder how the NBA can survive with all of these salaries in today's environment. I am not sure that the NBA could have survived in my day with these salaries adjusted back 25 years. 
the NBA 25 years ago was just becoming a popular media / entertainment business. the revenue wasnt close to what it is today... Jordan made $30mm, though.

I don't think Iggy for EG is an upgrade for this team. If Iggy isn't bought out there's no reason to try and bring him to Houston. I suppose you could try and move CP3 in a multi team deal involving Iggy, but I seriously doubt anybody would take CP3 until his albatross contract is in the last year.

Do your best to fill out the roster with useful pieces giving whatever money you have left to spend...that's pretty much the only option I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, APMP said:

I don't think Iggy for EG is an upgrade for this team. If Iggy isn't bought out there's no reason to try and bring him to Houston. I suppose you could try and move CP3 in a multi team deal involving Iggy, but I seriously doubt anybody would take CP3 until his albatross contract is in the last year.

Do your best to fill out the roster with useful pieces giving whatever money you have left to spend...that's pretty much the only option I think.

Not during the regular season where Iggy can't play as much as Gordon, but he's an upgrade in terms that he is a better basketball player than Gordon. Gordon's one skill is distance shooting, and he's not good enough at it to be considered elite.

Not during the regular season where Iggy can't play as much as Gordon, but he's an upgrade in terms that he is a better basketball player than Gordon. Gordon's one skill is distance shooting, and he's not good enough at it to be considered elite.
actually, Gordon is the better offensive player when it comes to getting his own shot. EG should be getting more touches than he does, but this offense can only have so many ball handlers at a time. EG is a starting PG on a lot of teams.

AI was the better overall player, but he's getting old...

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

actually, Gordon is the better offensive player when it comes to getting his own shot. EG should be getting more touches than he does, but this offense can only have so many ball handlers at a time. EG is a starting PG on a lot of teams.

AI was the better overall player, but he's getting old...

If I had to choose between the 2 for next season, I'd take Iguodala. He is a better fit on a team with Harden and Paul, and can still give you elite defense for 20 minutes a game. He's coming off a season where he made 40% of his corner 3P's, including several clutch ones against the Rockets in the playoffs.

Edited by HtownHorn

Javale McGee back to Lakers where he will likely start. And Kevon Looney back to the Warriors.

Morey hasn't signed a single free agent that had not been playing for the Rockets last season. Just about everyone in the Western Conference has gotten better than the Rockets except the Warriors and maybe the Spurs.

Well morey lets see what you got? No way we win bringing the same team back now. No idea what you could even do now to upgrade the team, you’ll be losing a piece to add a piece in a trade and I’m not sure there is anyone available in a trade that would be a for sure championship upgrade.

Just curious who is left on the market? Not that we have much to left to even use.
me. I'm left. I'll do it for vet min... dantoni isn't going to play whomever is 13th, so might as well be a 6' utility player with grit and old man game... I can guard the switch.