Adding to the pit bull argument

Beau Vine

6 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm just saying any loose dog is a problem. 

If they're loose, they probably have a shitty owner and you can't rely on the dog being safe.

I get the sense that the only loose dog in this scenario Mrs. @CoTex. I also feel like enough Shaggsters have tapped that ass so they can provide some counseling and comfort to answer "How do I deal with my wife being a frat house whore and sold out to Austin (bleck) pimps)?

Arm your kids from neighborhood dogs? Preemptive victim ass bullshit. Teach them to treat animals with respect as they would humans (you did teach them that part right?). Those dogs will be a better judge of character of your kids than your kids teachers, shut the fuck up.

Go clutch your pearls between your bear mace fingers. 

6 hours ago, cam4mav said:

Arm your kids from neighborhood dogs? Preemptive victim ass bullshit. Teach them to treat animals with respect as they would humans (you did teach them that part right?). Those dogs will be a better judge of character of your kids than your kids teachers, shut the fuck up.

that lady should've just respected the dog before it ate her face off.  The dog knew she lacked moral fiber!

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01193-1

Dog enthusiasts have long assumed that a dog’s breed shapes its temperament. But a sweeping study comparing the behaviour and ancestry of more than 18,000 dogs finds that although ancestry does affect behaviour, breed has much less to do with a dog’s personality than is generally supposed1.

“When you adopt a dog based on its breed, you’re getting a dog that looks a certain way,” says co-author Elinor Karlsson, a computational biologist at the University of Massachusetts in Worcester. “But as far as behaviour goes, it’s kind of luck of the draw.”

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01193-1

Dog enthusiasts have long assumed that a dog’s breed shapes its temperament. But a sweeping study comparing the behaviour and ancestry of more than 18,000 dogs finds that although ancestry does affect behaviour, breed has much less to do with a dog’s personality than is generally supposed1.

“When you adopt a dog based on its breed, you’re getting a dog that looks a certain way,” says co-author Elinor Karlsson, a computational biologist at the University of Massachusetts in Worcester. “But as far as behaviour goes, it’s kind of luck of the draw.”

This is true, the issue is that an aggressive pit bull or other medium to large dogs bred to fight and guard are more dangerous than an aggressive small dog, or even some aggressive large dogs of different breeds.  The breed does come into play when you talk about its tenacity and willingness to keep biting and the strength of its bite.  This is also tossing out the higher likelihood of shitty owners of “tough” breeds.  

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, cam4mav said:

I really appreciate this insightful comment but, on reflection, I don't think I'm going to take any of this advice.

Here's why.  1.  You assume I haven't taught my children to treat animals with respect, and 2.  You rank a random dog's ability to judge a child's character, above "teachers," and 3.  I was talking about adding a can of pepper spray to a list of things carried on a golf-cart and your response seems to include a level of emotion that I'm not sure is deserved by my comment.

Aaaaaand, since my post I learned that mail-carriers and utility company workers carry pepper spray, and are trained to use it.  Apparently they're not convinced that a dog's "judge of character" is good enough.  I wonder why.

Which leaves me a choice - side with your uninformed self, or go with teachers, mail-carriers and utility company workers.  I'm going to assume that their experience and education is superior to yours, and go with them.

Edited by CoTex
  • Hook 'Em 1

1) I think you're being kind of paranoid. If every single loose pit bull was out there mauling 15 year olds this thread would be updated more frequently than once a year.

2) If you live in a neighborhood where people are driving around golf carts, you've probably got both an HOA and a leash law. Take it to the HOA and ask that they enforce the ordinance. 

3) If you don't have an HOA and you observe the puppies off-leash again, perhaps ask her nicely to make sure that when her dogs are outside, they need to be on-leash. Maybe make up some bullshit story about your little sister being attacked by an off leash dog (don't say pit bull because that will trigger the "pit bulls aren't bad dogs" response from the owner) when you were kids, and that's why you are asking her to do this - because of the trauma from your childhood. 

4) You can also just call the cops/animal control if you see them off-leash. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I am anti-golf carts in neighborhoods, but I am also anti-loose dogs. In this case, #teamCoTex.

i have used pepper spray on dogs when bicycling in rural areas. It generally works, but there have a few times when it didn't seem to have much of an effect (although perhaps due to wind and other factors maybe they didn't get the full blast).

However, be careful spraying that shit. The wind can blow it back on you, which is not fun. Also, there is a difference between "pepper spray" and "bear spray", mainly bear spray is much stronger than pepper spray, although I think they use the same basic ingredient. Each canister only has a few sprays, and a fairly limited range. They also seem to clog up pretty easily, and have to be frequently replaced.

''

8 hours ago, cam4mav said:

Dogs judge character lol. Are you an idiot, or is this a bit?

34 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I am anti-golf carts in neighborhoods, but I am also anti-loose dogs. In this case, #teamCoTex.

i have used pepper spray on dogs when bicycling in rural areas. It generally works, but there have a few times when it didn't seem to have much of an effect (although perhaps due to wind and other factors maybe they didn't get the full blast).

However, be careful spraying that shit. The wind can blow it back on you, which is not fun. Also, there is a difference between "pepper spray" and "bear spray", mainly bear spray is much stronger than pepper spray, although I think they use the same basic ingredient. Each canister only has a few sprays, and a fairly limited range. They also seem to clog up pretty easily, and have to be frequently replaced.

''

When dogs are around, I never leave the house unarmed

5aYS.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

4) You can also just call the cops/animal control if you see them off-leash. 

"Hello, Police? Yeah, uh, my 9 yr old was out driving the golf cart down Country Club Drive and there by the intersection of Sarasota Drive - the lady that lives near there has two dogs loose. Could you send an officer? The loose dogs make me scared to let kids drive around the neighborhood." 

• Haha 3

Just poison the dogs, problem solved. Or call APD to their house and they’ll take care of them.

I guess you could always install a gun rack if you’re kids are handy with the steel if you know what I mean, make them earn their keep.

image.thumb.jpeg.4604e2dd0374e4c337b0a94fc19c3c99.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Postal worker's van broke down on rural road. 5 dogs (look like pits or mix breed pits) broke loose from their yard and mauled the lady to death. Docs had to amputate an arm trying to save her. Fuck the dog owners. They should die by getting mauled to death.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-postal-carrier-dead-was-mauled-5-dogs-rcna44532

A U.S. Postal Service carrier who was attacked by five dogs in Putnam County, Florida, has died, a sheriff's official said.

Pamela Jane Rock, 61, died at a hospital Monday night, the day after the vicious attack, which a neighbor tried to stop by firing into the air, sheriff’s Col. Joseph Wells said Tuesday at a news conference.

"One neighbor brought his firearm along and fired several shots in the air in an attempt to disrupt the attack," Wells said. "That was unsuccessful."

• Rage+1 1

My BIL took their puppy to the dog park last night.  As soon as they went in, a pit bull (apparently owned by a homeless man) made a bee line for the puppy and tried to kill him - had him by the throat and was rag dolling him.  BIL got his hands all torn up saving his dog.  Gotta love pits.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Postal worker's van broke down on rural road. 5 dogs (look like pits or mix breed pits) broke loose from their yard and mauled the lady to death. Docs had to amputate an arm trying to save her. Fuck the dog owners. They should die by getting mauled to death.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-postal-carrier-dead-was-mauled-5-dogs-rcna44532

A U.S. Postal Service carrier who was attacked by five dogs in Putnam County, Florida, has died, a sheriff's official said.

Pamela Jane Rock, 61, died at a hospital Monday night, the day after the vicious attack, which a neighbor tried to stop by firing into the air, sheriff’s Col. Joseph Wells said Tuesday at a news conference.

"One neighbor brought his firearm along and fired several shots in the air in an attempt to disrupt the attack," Wells said. "That was unsuccessful."

Mail truck broke down?  I smell a lawsuit

14 hours ago, Deej said:

You take any group of dogs that is poorly trained, or not trained at all, and let them run loose in a pack, bad shit is gonna happen if they aren't small enough to punt across three yards.

RG0BS1U.gif

as predictable as the Austin forcefield. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Deej said:

You take any group of dogs that is poorly trained, or not trained at all, and let them run loose in a pack, bad shit is gonna happen if they aren't small enough to punt across three yards.

Riddle me this. Why own fucking vicious animals who need to be trained out of their natural instinct kill everything in sight? 

What's the fucking point of owning said animals???????????????????????

To show how badass you are? What kind of fucked up insecurity is that?

• Hook 'Em 2

What I'm saying is that any group of good-sized dogs, that has shitty owner/s and allowed to roam free-range is a threat. But you guys keep doing you. I guess you feel good about some guy letting his pack of dogs run free around the neighborhood as long as they are some type of pit or pit mix. 

See, I can play your stupid fucking assumption game, too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Riddle me this. Why own fucking vicious animals who need to be trained out of their natural instinct kill everything in sight? 

What's the fucking point of owning said animals???????????????????????

To show how badass you are? What kind of fucked up insecurity is that?

For street cred

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

What I'm saying is that any group of good-sized dogs, that has shitty owner/s and allowed to roam free-range is a threat. But you guys keep doing you. I guess you feel good about some guy letting his pack of dogs run free around the neighborhood as long as they are some type of pit or pit mix. 

Except these were NOT a pack of wild, free running dogs. They were enclosed in a yard before they remembered that they are pits and broke free of fence to kill an innocent lady whose only crime was having a shitty job provided car.

The owner should be killed. Want to own killing machines which kill. Then suffer the same fucking consequence. This shit will make limp dick assholes think twice about owning pits.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Yeah, I can just picture a group of black labs with shitty owners getting out and almost ripping off someone's arm.

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Yeah, I can just picture a group of black labs with shitty owners getting out and almost ripping off someone's arm.

As someone who lives in a part of Austin where free-range dogs tends to be a thing, I'm just going to tell you to not turn your back on a loose dog just because it isn't a pit. Poorly raised and cared for dogs are a danger. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Well seems like she was alive when they tried saving her life with an amputation. Pretty sure a gunshot wound would have complicated those failed efforts to save her life.

I am capable of envisioning scenarios where a gun could be used to shoot dogs attacking a person without shooting the person being attacked. Would care be needed? Yes. Is it a crazy and violent scene? Yes. But doing nothing but firing a gun in the air seems a little weak.

1 minute ago, Steel Shank said:

I am capable of envisioning scenarios where a gun could be used to shoot dogs attacking a person without shooting the person being attacked.

Unless it's a cop shooting.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/courts/2022/08/23/testimony-begins-in-trial-of-arlington-cop-who-fatally-shot-woman-while-aiming-at-dog/