The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

Disney's first foray into their streaming service will include this show from Jon Favreau. Lots of decent names attached to direct some of the episodes including Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). Dave Filoni will direct the first episode. This looks very interesting. Set after Jedi. Pedro Pascal (The Red Viper from Game of Thrones and Pena from Narcos) is rumored to play the lead. It's shooting now. Not sure when it comes out but the streaming service is set to start in 2019.

LUCASFILM // OCTOBER 4, 2018

THE MANDALORIAN FIRST IMAGE, DIRECTORS REVEALED

DETAILS EMERGE FOR LUCASFILM'S LIVE-ACTION SERIES HELMED BY JON FAVREAU.

Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun! After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic. The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode. Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok). It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

the-mandalorian-1024x809.jpg

I've been eagerly awaiting a well done (high production value, good writing, no conflicts with story line) dramatic Star Wars television series that explores the gaps in time or the gaps in setting.

I've always thought a series set in the Death Star during construction would be interesting.  One that doesn't star Vader or the Emperor, but the events around them - kind of how HBO's Deadwood and Rome follow day-in-the-life of normal people without focusing much on Wild Bill and Julius Caesar, respectively.

Set after Jedi

I assumed this was the case, but verified that you meant Return of the Jedi and not The Last Jedi.

I mean, I love the people behind this, they understand the franchise.

But I'm a bit over the whole Mandalore thing.  Clone Wars had a couple of really good arcs dealing with the Mandalorians, and Rebels had a good couple of episodes dealing with them as well.  Could be a bit much to have a whole show about it.

Of course, I'm going to watch.

18 hours ago, Drew said:

I mean, I love the people behind this, they understand the franchise.

But I'm a bit over the whole Mandalore thing.  Clone Wars had a couple of really good arcs dealing with the Mandalorians, and Rebels had a good couple of episodes dealing with them as well.  Could be a bit much to have a whole show about it.

Of course, I'm going to watch.

Yeah I know what you mean... but I kind of do like the idea if it's well after ROTJ... dealing with the post-Empire/pre-new Republic chaos.... and "The Manadlorian" is more like the "lone gunman getting into adventures" or something... not dealing with Mandalore/warrior race/black sabre shit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

If I never watched Clone Wars or Rebels should I go back and watch them all? That’s a lot to try and binge.

I would watch Rebels.  It's excellent has has a very "OT" feel to it... (which makes sense given that it starts ~3 years before ANH and ends (IIRC) maybe a year(ish) before the events of Rogue One).  Rebels really wouldn't take that long to binge through.  There's only 75 episodes over 4 seasons at about 20 minutes each in length with very few "filler" episodes.

Clone Wars was pretty good, but there's a lot of wood to chop there (121 episodes), and it has quite a bit of filler.  The chart that I posted in the Star Wars: Resistance thread highlights the essential episodes of each season.

• Like 1

I'd watch both.  There's a lot of filler in CW(it's longer) and a few filler episodes in Rebels.  The first season of Rebels is good but a bit "lighter" overall until they start getting involved in the rebellion at the end of season 1.

Both are extremely well done with some of the best Star Wars stories every told IMO.  They actually go hand in hand as several characters from Clone Wars pop up and have important roles in Rebels.

• 4 weeks later...

And now Disney will have a Cassian Andor live-action series. This could be really good but I think being on their new streaming service means it may not be adult enough for the kind of story that could benefit from a harder rating.

LUCASFILM // NOVEMBER 8, 2018

CASSIAN ANDOR LIVE-ACTION SERIES ANNOUNCED

DIEGO LUNA RETURNS AS THE ROGUE ONE HERO IN A SPY THRILLER FOR DISNEY'S DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER STREAMING SERVICE.

Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced today that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service. The series, which will go into production next year, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor. “Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” said Luna. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.”

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for the latest updates.

Above image from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

Pedro Pascal is the Mandalorian!

Gunslinger In Space: Pedro Pascal Lands THE MANDALORIAN Lead

The galaxy's latest rogue is cast.

By JACOB KNIGHT Nov. 13, 2018 

18Shares

It'd been rumored for a few months (courtesy of the Carl Weathers enthusiasts at "Making Star Wars") but now it's official: Narcos and Game of Thrones player Pedro Pascal is going to be the lead of Jon Favreau's Star Wars series, The Mandalorian on Disney+. 

Details on the show are still hazy, but according to Variety, Pascal will play: 

"...a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic."

Pascal's stock continues to rise as of late, as he also played a rather sizable role in Denzel's last action hit, The Equalizer 2, is in Barry Jenkins' If Beale Street Could Talk, and has a role in Wonder Woman 1984. He was also in the sci-fi indie Prospect at SXSW this year, which I sort of hated but everyone else liked (so whatever). Remember The Great Wall? I don't, but he was in that shit, too. 

With production ramping up on The Mandalorian in the next few weeks, we should be getting a few more of these casting announcements, so gear up. Star Wars will contine on forever, it seems, as Diego Luna was also just cast in the upcoming Rogue One prequel series for the streaming platform. The Mandalorian is set to premiere in 2019. 

Edited by mdmost

On 11/8/2018 at 7:43 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If they maintain the tone of Rogue One, I’m in.  As in him straight up murdering that dude from the beginning.  That set off a few fanboys who wanted their rebellion to be clean and nice and tidy. 

As time has gone on, I've slowly realized that Rogue One is my second favorite Star Wars movie after Empire. I just really, really enjoy it.  Really looking forward to the Cassian prequel series.

And Pedro Pascal as The Mandalorian? Yes please. Am very excite.

• 4 months later...

No official footage released at the panel. They cut away from the livestream when they showed some behind the scenes footage. It's on YouTube if you want to look at a potato version. Sounds really cool though. A Star Wars western. And Carl Weathers is the boss of the bounty hunters. Some images released.

56907837_2383466461704941_13947203765959

57213722_2383466558371598_39539439034003

56986798_2383466651704922_69938655687469

56899746_2383466765038244_50886861257032

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

No official footage released at the panel. They cut away from the livestream when they showed some behind the scenes footage. It's on YouTube if you want to look at a potato version. Sounds really cool though. A Star Wars western. And Carl Weathers is the boss of the bounty hunters. Some images released.

56907837_2383466461704941_13947203765959

57213722_2383466558371598_39539439034003

56986798_2383466651704922_69938655687469

56899746_2383466765038244_50886861257032

Things are looking up for Carl Weathers! 

• 4 months later...