The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

Finally watched. Holy shit, when Kid Green whimpered I was ready to go to war.

Love the reference to Yoda being impressed with shiny fancies, “that’s not a toy”

The shoot out was great, good ol fashion chuck wagon shootout at 10 paces.

Also the Mandalorians rolling into battle was straight dope outta the clone wars and Rebels. Which Filoni knows how to do well

• Like 2

So if you've never given Rebels a chance, episode 3 is what Rebels was like except without disintegrations and multiple killings. That was a pure Dave Filoni episode. The Mandalorians fighting for each other was badass. I was hoping for more Werner Herzog than we got. And again I ask, what good is Stormtrooper armor? Doesn't keep you from being flamed to death. 

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s just a uniform that both dehumanizes and homogenizes the troops. 

I agree its mainly about appearances and nothing more. They are meant to appear menacing and not someone you'd want to mess with. Obviously you'd think the armor could protect them a little better than it does in the shows/movies but maybe the Empire just doesn't care much about the lives of its foot soldiers(which it most likely doesn't).

So if you've never given Rebels a chance, episode 3 is what Rebels was like except without disintegrations and multiple killings. That was a pure Dave Filoni episode. The Mandalorians fighting for each other was badass. I was hoping for more Werner Herzog than we got. And again I ask, what good is Stormtrooper armor? Doesn't keep you from being flamed to death. 
Totally agree. When the Mandalorians came flying in I could just picture it happening in Clone Wars or Rebels style animation. Filoni was all over that episode.

8 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The storm troopers in this episode were a far cry from the storm troopers in the OT, at least tactically. Loved the scenes with them and the flashlights.

I mean they've always kinda sucked as individual soldiers. They're just good as a mob and with more firepower. 

• Like 1

Watched the first three episodes tonight. Really good. Agree that the old western feel was a smart way to go with it. Loved the shootouts in episodes 1&3 and the Mandalorians showing they're the biggest badasses of a group of badasses. Lots of winning against long odds.

And somebody can explain it better than I, but I don't at all feel conflicted about despising jar jar yet kinda hoping Mando picks up a 12 pack of frogs. I mean he's gotta eat, right?

About the armor, Rex in Rebels states that the gen 3 armor is a far cry from his gen 1 original clone trooper armor and even the gen 2.

Through different canon stories now, the armor was designed to give environmental protection, deflect non-direct hits and partially disperse blaster bolts. Even then different blasters had more/less power. Like Han’s blaster was outlawed by the empire because of its express ability to penetrate almost all types of body armor.

They’ve also noted that the empire continually went cheaper on their armor and vehicles. The tie fighter for example had no armor, no shields, almost no cabin pressure and obviously no hyperdrive. Be faster than almost all known combat ships and again swarm and overwhelm them. Only the A-wing could match their speeds, and when stripped of their shields the A-Wing could even outrun the tie interceptors speed.

They also had no major fighting force to contend with any more, the clones defeated the separatists genosian and droid armies and so the imperial army at that point was mostly about show of force and when actually needed overwhelming numbers to crush an insurrection. Along with massive amounts of support from army heavy and naval air support.

4 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Midichlorian extractor 😐

But if that was the case they wouldn't need a baby Yoda to do that. Midichlorians are present in the cells of all living things and are only elevated in beings that can use the force. If they had a way to extract them from the cells they could just line up their hordes of stormtrooper useless fucks, or go farm Jawas or something, and extract all they can from those easy targets to make super serums. 

3 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

But if that was the case they wouldn't need a baby Yoda to do that. Midichlorians are present in the cells of all living things and are only elevated in beings that can use the force. If they had a way to extract them from the cells they could just line up their hordes of stormtrooper useless fucks, or go farm Jawas or something, and extract all they can from those easy targets to make super serums. 

It could be they see the power of Yoda’s species and their midichlorian count. Cloning mini Yoda and their midichlorians could mean “unlimited power”. 

I’m working through the recommended episodes of Clone Wars, and I’ve been surprised by the body count. It’s definitely the most war content of any Star Wars movies or shows. It’s pretty great.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m working through the recommended episodes of Clone Wars, and I’ve been surprised by the body count. It’s definitely the most war content of any Star Wars movies or shows. It’s pretty great.

Rebels went more Disney-ish on the content. There's some death but there's also a lot of GI Joe type close calls where Stormtroopers aren't killed when they should be. But the storylines are really, really good. Especially in season 2.