The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm honestly impressed with Disney on this, because in the past, they would have commercialized the shit out of it, and we would have had the dolls, etc. in the stores the week that Disney+ launched.

I can remember the soundtrack to The Phantom Menace spoiling Qui-Gon Jinn's death multiple times weeks before the movie launched.

They've gone old school, just like when you couldn't buy action figures until the year after the original Star Wars came out.

7 minutes ago, Booger49 said:

Well, to be fair, mass movie merchandising outside of Disneyland was not the norm in the mid 70’s.  Of course, I did have a Steve Austin lunchbox

Did it keep your turkey sandwich 'Stone Cold'?  Because I was recently looking back at my junior high days.  I put my sandwich in my locker at around 8:00a.  We had lunch at 11:30a.  That's 3.5 hours, really 4 hours from the time I left my house where my sandwich was room temperature.  That can't be good, to have 5 of those a week at that temp.  This was before this fancy climate-controlled luncheon bags or whatever.  it was a brown paper bag.  We didn't have a cafeteria.  Just tepid turkey and cheese with lettuce and mustard at 80 degrees.  Some chips with an apple or orange and a jucebox.  What the fuck were we thinking?  

16 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

And you turned out OK. (allegedly) 

Other than pissing your pants and forgetting who you are for half-an-hour every time somebody runs a microwave, sure.

I remember the Star Wars lunchbox I used to have, and it had one of those plastic thermoses in it, and when it was cold out, my mom would put hot tomato soup in it.

That plastic was probably leeching a shitload of cancer into the soup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Did it keep your turkey sandwich 'Stone Cold'?  Because I was recently looking back at my junior high days.  I put my sandwich in my locker at around 8:00a.  We had lunch at 11:30a.  That's 3.5 hours, really 4 hours from the time I left my house where my sandwich was room temperature.  That can't be good, to have 5 of those a week at that temp.  This was before this fancy climate-controlled luncheon bags or whatever.  it was a brown paper bag.  We didn't have a cafeteria.  Just tepid turkey and cheese with lettuce and mustard at 80 degrees.  Some chips with an apple or orange and a jucebox.  What the fuck were we thinking?  

Same. I had turkey and cheese every day. 

46 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Other than pissing your pants and forgetting who you are for half-an-hour every time somebody runs a microwave, sure.

I remember the Star Wars lunchbox I used to have, and it had one of those plastic thermoses in it, and when it was cold out, my mom would put hot tomato soup in it.

*leaching 

And they were still cool. 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

It was all safe with all that sodium.  I ate mostly peanut butter and honey or ham and cheese.   Sometimes chef Boyardee beef ravioli in the thermos

Edited by Booger49

I guess so.  We digested okay, we were once and young.  I did have a kickass Empire Strikes Back lunchbox in elementary school.  But then you get to Junior High and all the cool kids browned bagged.  But we didn't have a cafeteria and we needed calories for after school sports.  So I guess I ate a variety of lukewarm poultry-borne diseases.  

Anyway, the fucking Bodyguard music scene with Baby Yoda and Mandolorian.  My wife is already incorporating it into her speech therapy sessions.  

We are on the cusp of coming back together as a nation and that little green bastard gets the credit.  

On 11/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It would be amusing if they introduce us to these interesting characters like Ugnolte and Gina, and then that's the last you ever hear of them, but that's not how Rebels worked, plus we've seen trailers for Mandalorian clearly showing Gina and others in other settings.  I do admit, I actually thought he was going to live Baby Yoda with those people, but then they had to do something to show that he's incredibly important.

Since they seem to be slow-rolling it, they are probably introducing us to characters, Ugnolte, Gina, Hot Widow, etc., that will form some kind of team.  

He's going to get a larger ship, probably for his team/family, and there's already leaked photos of it.

[spioler]

spacer.png

[/spoiler]

But seriously, it's cool that they are taking their time and just doing world and character-building.  While it maybe the closest thing they have to a "bottle episode", this was not a throw-away episode.

What a piece of junk!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

My favorite Star Wars toys were my Xwing and speeder bike.

The Xwings R2 controlled the S foils

The speeder bike had a blow up button that was great.

Of all my Star Wars toys I still only have Hoth Luke, a speeder bike trooper and R2.

I always dug the Rebel Snow Speeder and Tie Fighter (the wings blew off that one with the push of a button).  I badly wanted an AT-AT, but Santa didn’t have that kind of money.  

• Like 1

yeah, i love this show. it's done right.

can you imagine what lucas would've done with a baby yoda?

but somehow that shit works. i don't get it, but it's doing all the right things. i think maybe because they are using practical effects coupled with a proper anti-hero. we know this dude is on the line as far as the law, but as soon as he saw baby green, he was on the right path immediately. 

I’m digging this show, although I couldn’t help but think when the Mandalorian was getting all that Beskar armor made, and the later comment about him needing a jetpack, that we are seeing Disney’s replacement for Iron Man.

Favreau even the writer. Bring it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmmmm cancer flavored tomato soup...

On 12/2/2019 at 11:24 PM, BrickHorn said:

I badly wanted an AT-AT, but Santa didn’t have that kind of money.  

On 12/2/2019 at 11:29 PM, Radical Larry said:

Yeah, I never had an AT-AT.

Yeah me too.  No wait, I got off my lazy ass and mowed some lawns and then put some bases out at the local baseball field and chalked the lines.  Because I wanted shit I couldn't have.  Fuckin millenials.

Edited by mulletpelini
And it sits in my sons room til this very day.

I had 2 cousins that shared toys properly and they’d ask for group gifts from their parents... they had the AT-AT, every play set like Jabba’s throne, the Death Star 3-level set, an AT-ST, the falcon, y-wing, Vader’s interceptor, and a ton more... it was awesome visiting them.

And randomly while talking old school, I had a best bud who got a every G.I. joe he wanted. I had a ton and I would even buy multiple of the BATS and crimson guard, had 2 rattlers etc. this guy had the USS Flagg and the Space shuttle... I remember going over to his house after Xmas and being in awe of the USS Flagg, it was like 8 ft long and even had an arrestor hook that you could put on his skystriker

Never got an AT-AT or the Millenium Falcon. Our big toy period was Empire so we had plenty of tauntauns, snow speeders, Hoth playsets, and Cloud City items. I remember getting Slave 1 on waking up in recovery after getting my tonsils removed. We also had some great die-cast mini figure sets of Hoth and Cloud City. Those were great.

In Mando news, it's still the most streamed show on all the services.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-mandalorian-disney-plus-is-top-tv-show-in-world-2019-12?IR=T&utm_source=reddit.com

8 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Yeah me too.  No wait, I got off my lazy ass and mowed some lawns and then put some bases out at the local baseball field and chalked the lines.  Because I wanted shit I couldn't have.  Fuckin millenials.

And it sits in my sons room til this very day.

My 7 year-old son has my Star Wars and G.I. Joe collection.  I recently looked up some of the action figures' value, and a few of them were pushing $100.  10 years ago, I would have cringed at the thought of a future kid of mine playing with them.    Now, it's cool as shit.  He does not have my cardboard Star Wars sets though, I'm going to scan those, make new prints, and put it on foamcore or something.

14 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

And randomly while talking old school, I had a best bud who got a every G.I. joe he wanted. I had a ton and I would even buy multiple of the BATS and crimson guard, had 2 rattlers etc. this guy had the USS Flagg and the Space shuttle... I remember going over to his house after Xmas and being in awe of the USS Flagg, it was like 8 ft long and even had an arrestor hook that you could put on his skystriker

Had a friend who had the Flagg, and still does, and will be passing it down to his kid.  It was the most awesome toy from the '80s.

Earlier this year, we went through a few dozen of my G.I. Joe figures, and put in new rubber bands (breaking the pelvises of a few of them in the process).  We've been scouring eBay for good deals on parts to fix up some of my sets/vehicles - Looking for a seat for the Skystriker, a new rotor for the Dragonfly and for one of the FANGs, and a few misc. bits and pieces for the WHALE.

My son is pumped as hell over the thought of new G I Joe toys next year from the Snake Eyes movie they are making.  I know the toys will probably suck, but at least he will get his own chance at buying new G I Joe toys in the store.

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Never got an AT-AT or the Millenium Falcon. Our big toy period was Empire so we had plenty of tauntauns, snow speeders, Hoth playsets, and Cloud City items. I remember getting Slave 1 on waking up in recovery after getting my tonsils removed. We also had some great die-cast mini figure sets of Hoth and Cloud City. Those were great.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-mandalorian-disney-plus-is-top-tv-show-in-world-2019-12?IR=T&utm_source=reddit.com

Good stuff.

I have a brother who is two years younger, so the cool thing is that we never got the same thing, so between the two of us we had almost everything.  We did get the AT-AT for Christmas one year and it was glorious. :) 

On 12/2/2019 at 11:24 PM, BrickHorn said:

I always dug the Rebel Snow Speeder and Tie Fighter (the wings blew off that one with the push of a button).  I badly wanted an AT-AT, but Santa didn’t have that kind of money.  

I never had an AT-AT, but younger brother did.  That is, until his asshole older brother decided to recreate the scene in ESB where Luke throws the thermal detonator inside it.

Basically stuffed the inside of it with as many old fireworks as I could in the backyard.  Shut the doors, lit it, and sat back and watched the show in all it's glory.  All hell broke loose as they went off.  Black cats.  Rockets.  Lady fingers.  Fake M-80s.  It fell over, and was consumed in a massive fireball....leaving a smoldering pile of burnt, black plastic.  

I never had an AT-AT, but younger brother did.  That is, until his asshole older brother decided to recreate the scene in ESB where Luke throws the thermal detonator inside it.
Basically stuffed the inside of it with as many old fireworks as I could in the backyard.  Shut the doors, lit it, and sat back and watched the show in all it's glory.  All hell broke loose as they went off.  Black cats.  Rockets.  Lady fingers.  Fake M-80s.  It fell over, and was consumed in a massive fireball....leaving a smoldering pile of burnt, black plastic.  

You are evil
  • Like 2

With the advent of pellet rifles and fireworks, not much stayed intact at our place.  

Castle greyskull - gone

He-men (plural) - gone

GI Joe - all of them - gone

Star Wars stuff - gone

Transformers - gone

This is many years later, but we eventually shot or blew up all of them.  We had this toy graveyard at the ranch.  Even to this day, you can pick around and find bits and pieces.  

I was the kid that if you manhandled my G.I. joe, Star Wars or transformers and risked their paint being scratched then you lost play privileges with my shit and were relegated to the tier 2 toys.

I still have some G.I. joe figures and vehicles along with almost all their guns and backpacks stores in my parents closet.

I liked the way they handled Gina Carano in that episode. Unlike Jason Garrett or Tom Herman they identified strengths and utilized them but most importantly identified her glaring weaknesses and steered her around them. They had the other hot farmer woman handle the emotional aspects of the story so Carano could just be soldier boy bad ass. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

687474703a2f2f6d656469612e74756d626c722e

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I liked the way they handled Gina Carano in that episode. Unlike Jason Garrett or Tom Herman they identified strengths and utilized them but most importantly identified her glaring weaknesses and steered her around them. They had the other hot farmer woman handle the emotional aspects of the story so Carano could just be soldier boy bad ass. 

source.gif

46 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

With the advent of pellet rifles and fireworks, not much stayed intact at our place.  

Castle greyskull - gone

He-men (plural) - gone

GI Joe - all of them - gone

Star Wars stuff - gone

Transformers - gone

This is many years later, but we eventually shot or blew up all of them.  We had this toy graveyard at the ranch.  Even to this day, you can pick around and find bits and pieces.  

LOL this is SOOOO familiar.

Between my brother and I, we basically acquired all of the above in between the ages of, say, 6-10... and then we proceeded to blow-up, torch, and otherwise obliterate all of them with fireworks, pellet guns, hammers, gasoline, gunpowder and pretty much anything else we could think of in between the ages of, say 12-16. :D :D:D 

• Like 1

I wonder how many people will dump D+ after the final episode airs.