The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

11 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

So here's my theory about all the interest in Baby Yoda and I think it's greasing the skids for what is upcoming in EP IX.

Cloning.

They are either wanting/trying to clone Yoda's species - or it actually really is Yoda - as a clone. 

Soften the blow with this series and then it won't be as big a deal when Palp, Anakin, or Rey turn out to be a clone in the Skywalker movie.

I’m not going to like this one bit

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

He isn’t a clone of Yoda. I could see it being explained as the force creating an opposite of Plagieus’s attempt to manipulate and create Anakin.

Same with Kylo and Rey, the force creates both the light and the dark.

Papa Palps was the one who created Anakin but yeah Yoda baby could be the balance to the force; it would be delayed I guess since baby Yoda is 50 and still a baby. Kylo tho, was pure bloodline and Rey is looking like she will be too. This still doesn’t mean there isn’t a force trying to create balance, it just means there will not be any manipulation of the force. 

8 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

He isn’t a clone of Yoda. I could see it being explained as the force creating an opposite of Plagieus’s attempt to manipulate and create Anakin.

So does that mean Baby Yoda will do a heel turn, go dark side, and kill some good emperor at the end just before dying?

Tattooine was an interesting place to take this right before IX. It’s 5 years after ROTJ so I’m assuming that not enough time has passed for the tales we are told in TFA to shit on all our heroes heads so while they are not part of this generally their presence is real and we just went to the centering world of the entire Skywalker saga....seems convenient.

Beyond that this thing is so incredibly well done compared to anything else SW related going at the moment. Others have said that just putting another tally on that board.

So Bob Iger says the lack of baby yoda merchandise was intentional so as to not spoil the show.  I can't imagine the dollars his decision gave up, but kudos to Mr. Iger.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/bob-iger-is-times-2019-businessperson-of-the-year/ar-AAK1duC?ocid=spartanntp

“As soon as those ears popped up from under the blanket, and the eyes, I knew,” says Iger, recalling when he first saw footage of Disney’s newest bankable piece of intellectual property, known to the world as Baby Yoda. He likens the feeling to when he was running ABC’s prime-time TV division and 16-year-old Leonardo DiCaprio showed up on Growing Pains. The next moves were obvious: start production on little green dolls and theme-park rides and lunch boxes, then throw open the vaults and clear space for more cash.

But Iger is the kind of guy who, if given the marshmallow test, would not only decline to eat the marshmallow, but persuade everyone else to sell him theirs and corner the market on S’mores. So he made a different call: no Baby Yoda merch yet. The cuddly alien was the heart of the new Star Wars–themed series The Mandalorian. That show was the anchor of Disney’s new streaming service Disney+, and Iger would not spoil the first episode’s big reveal.

Edited by Duval Street
added link

I'm sure the black market for knockoffs is pretty strong right now. I saw some people bitching online (shocking, I know) that they can't get Johnny the Baby Yoda they want RIGHT NOW and how Disney FAILED because they didn't have Baby Yodas ready to go. I like the idea that this generation has to actually wait on something. 

So Bob Iger says the lack of baby yoda merchandise was intentional so as to not spoil the show.  I can't imagine the dollars his decision gave up, but kudos to Mr. Iger.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/bob-iger-is-times-2019-businessperson-of-the-year/ar-AAK1duC?ocid=spartanntp

“As soon as those ears popped up from under the blanket, and the eyes, I knew,” says Iger, recalling when he first saw footage of Disney’s newest bankable piece of intellectual property, known to the world as Baby Yoda. He likens the feeling to when he was running ABC’s prime-time TV division and 16-year-old Leonardo DiCaprio showed up on Growing Pains. The next moves were obvious: start production on little green dolls and theme-park rides and lunch boxes, then throw open the vaults and clear space for more cash.

But Iger is the kind of guy who, if given the marshmallow test, would not only decline to eat the marshmallow, but persuade everyone else to sell him theirs and corner the market on S’mores. So he made a different call: no Baby Yoda merch yet. The cuddly alien was the heart of the new Star Wars–themed series The Mandalorian. That show was the anchor of Disney’s new streaming service Disney+, and Iger would not spoil the first episode’s big reveal.

Bullshit. They could have made it and shelved it.

Total fan service. That was just a random Mandalorian in similar looking armor. Except his armor wasn't all battle scarred like Boba's was. 

Why couldn’t they change their mind on Boba Fett’s death. It’s not like Lucas has never changed his mind on a character before. Like when Vader went from being a total badass to being a whiny little bitch in his early years?

I actually thought he was going to see if she was still alive. It is odd to me that they would cast her, give her only 5 minutes of showtime and a few lines, and then kill her off. 

Yeah, feels like mando is assembling a badass chick army. Looking for a mommy figure????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Why couldn’t they change their mind on Boba Fett’s death. It’s not like Lucas has never changed his mind on a character before. Like when Vader went from being a total badass to being a whiny little bitch in his early years?

If Lucas changed his mind, like giving Filoni the Baby Yoda, then they could. But Lucas always seemed annoyed that people thought Boba survived when George clearly showed that wasn't the case. Filoni is not going to go against something Lucas expressly made so without getting Lucas' permission to do so. 

If Lucas changed his mind, like giving Filoni the Baby Yoda, then they could. But Lucas always seemed annoyed that people thought Boba survived when George clearly showed that wasn't the case. Filoni is not going to go against something Lucas expressly made so without getting Lucas' permission to do so. 

I agree. Odds are he’s dead. All I’m saying is it now he that he has 1 billion in his wallet, maybe Lucas is willing to let someone else run with it.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Boba was brought back in the expanded universe that George had complete control over.  If he had that much of a problem with it, why did he sign off on it the first tine around?

4 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

Because JJ Abrams is not the show runner, and this is not a reboot.  

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nope. The toy industry is arguably worse at leak control than the tech industry.  Major Avengers movie stuff has leaked thanks to third-world factories leaking stuff.   

Bullshit. Disney could've made the poorly paid Chinese factory workers sign NDAs and threatened to kill their families if they leaked anything. 

Edited by mdmost

Nope. The toy industry is arguably worse at leak control than the tech industry.  Major Avengers movie stuff has leaked thanks to third-world factories leaking stuff.   

You could replace avengers with just about every major blockbuster that’s had toy lines. The transformers leaks were car designs, character leaks, etc. marvel had a helluva time keeping the lid on their spoilers thanks to the toys and packaging.

What was funny was reading about Bryce Howard having to remind her son everyday in the way to school “no talking about baby Yoda” because he was on set with her and even had a cameo

If Bill Burr was still drinking, he definitely would have leaked what episode he makes an appearance in.

It’s long been assumed that Moff Gideon played by Gus Fring is the big bad. Gus has appeared in promotional materials for Episode 7, so we’ll see him at the latest by then. It is a curious move to introduce the primary antagonist this late in any show. Especially a new show. 

Moffs are the Imperial equivalent of a 5 star general. There were only 20 of them in the entire galaxy at the height of the Empire. Needless to say, Gideon should be a pretty accomplished bad ass. 

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

They probably sell as many if not more by creating the yearning. I’m interested to see how all of this from the traditional weekly releases of the show to the hold back on toys etc plays out long term in the gotta have it now generation.

This aint 1977.  Shit has shelflife of about 15 days until it's on to the next big thing now.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If Bill Burr was still drinking, he definitely would have leaked what episode he makes an appearance in.

It’s long been assumed that Moff Gideon played by Gus Fring is the big bad. Gus has appeared in promotional materials for Episode 7, so we’ll see him at the latest by then. It is a curious move to introduce the primary antagonist this late in any show. Especially a new show. 

Moffs are the Imperial equivalent of a 5 star general. There were only 20 of them in the entire galaxy at the height of the Empire. Needless to say, Gideon should be a pretty accomplished bad ass. 

So was grand moff a rank above moff?  Was tarkin the only one?

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought Moffs were more region governors. The Grand Admiral is the equivalent to a 5 star general.

Edit:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Grand_Moff

Grand Moff was a political title in the hierarchy of the Galactic Empire.[7] Grand Moffs were governors of Oversectors, which were grouped star systems and sectors that demonstrated signs of unrest.

Grand Moffs had a large amount of liberty to subdue insurrectionist regions, and as such had the authority to deploy and command Imperial Military resources, and were allowed to override any Moff or planetary governor.

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Chapter 6 is another fantastic episode. Really like how they introduce new characters in each chapter, killing off some and leaving others to come back for future chapters

And they aren't no-names - Bill Burr, Mark Boone Jr., Clancy Brown aka Kurgan, the woman who played Nymphadora Tonks in Harry Potter.  The director directed the second episode, and he co-wrote this episode with one of the Thor Ragnarok writers.  There's a Gary Cooper western, Vera Cruz, that some are comparing this to.

Oh, and one of the IT guys literally became a robot.

spacer.png

Over the course of the main 10 movies, you get to see their "alphabet" every once in awhile on one of their screen readouts or cockpit buttons.  and of course, it's not like our phonetic alphabet and nor should it be.  And we've all seen what the X-wing fighter looks like with its twin wings opened up, hence the name.  So if they don't use our alphabet, why do they call it the "X"-wing fighter.  I kid, I kid.  It was 37 Christmases ago that I got one and literally ran the battery down before holiday break was over.