The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

I love the show but wish they would move the overall plot along more quickly.  There should be a backstory of what efforts Werner Herzog is taking to get baby yoda, the urgency attached to it and sometime around now (episode 6 of 8) we need to learn why baby yoda is important.  Instead their have been three one off episodes that have not really advanced the overall plot.  We knew Werner really wanted baby yoda in episode one and we've known baby yoda and Mando have had bounties on them since episode three.  And, yes, I feel bad even typing this after being subjected to the aggravated sexual assault that was the Last Jedi.

Edited by Hanrahan
  • Like 1

Lol watched it and my wife and I were saying this episode was aliens meets dr who.

Loved Dave Filoni being a pilot.

Clancy brown finds his third character in Star Wars.

Also the little Easter egg I saw right away. (Mainly because my wife and daughter and I liked the show Timeless). The new republic officer that gets killed is the voice of Anakin Skywalker from the clone wars. (He’s also Wyatt in timeless)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

For those hoping for plot to move forward, this isn’t Watchmen.  They are gonna push this thing for 4 or 5 seasons if they can.  That’s OK. I like what it’s doing. 

Yep. It's like watching something like Rawhide. They are going to have a background story, but most of the episodes are going to be stand alone adventures like an old western TV show.

There isn't a plot to move forward, this is procedural television like 99% of shows  (CSI, law and order) not prestige television like breaking bad.  Each episode is self contained and basically has the same plot,  mando gets stuck, mando needs to do a job to get unstuck,  someone helps him.  It's very well made procedural mind you but every episode has been the same. 

• Like 1

This is basically the same format Filoni used for the clone wars and rebels, you have your arcs and you have your sub arcs and you have your fillers(droid episodes anyone...)

He knows he has minimum 3 seasons to tell his story and not gonna blow their load 6 episodes in.

Rebels started by making it seem like it was gonna be Ezra becoming a Jedi and that took 4 seasons

I read an interesting theory that baby’s yoda’s main force power is to imprint upon other life forms the subconscious urge to protect it.   That’s why at first a band of raiders were watching it, while now formerly cold hearted bounty hunter is. 

it makes sense if you think about it. Especially for a species that even after 50 years still like a toddler.  

Edited by Xian

1 hour ago, Xian said:

I read an interesting theory that baby’s yoda’s main force power is to imprint upon other life forms the subconscious urge to protect it.   That’s why at first a band of raiders were watching it, while now formerly cold hearted bounty hunter is. 

it makes sense if you think about it. Especially for a species that even after 50 years still like a toddler.  

Is that what Yoda was doing in that damp cave with Luke?

• Haha 1

That’s the longest I’ve ever seen Bill Burr talk without saying fuck.

There’s definitely an A-Team vibe in terms of the lightness. I’m enjoying it a lot but can’t help wishing it was just a little heavier. Even the Clone Wars animated series has a pretty high body count. We know Mando is never really in any danger. But still: awesome and I look forward to it every week.

One random thought: I thought twi’leks were all supposed to be super attractive. Guess we got the outlier.

I think part of the impatience with the plot is to understand more about baby Yoda before Episode 9 comes out next week when “every storyline is explained and completed.” In Rebels, you grew fond of the characters but sort of knew  it wasn’t going to work out for Kanan and Ezra or else where the fuck were they during Episodes 4-6? Baby Yoda should be close to 75 years old by the (apparently one year or less) period that encompasses Episodes 7-9. Mando couldn’t have extended his curfew to let him fuck up Snoke and the First Order??? Or are they already dead long before Rey feels the touch of the Force for the first time?

I think part of the impatience with the plot is to understand more about baby Yoda before Episode 9 comes out next week when “every storyline is explained and completed.” In Rebels, you grew fond of the characters but sort of knew  it wasn’t going to work out for Kanan and Ezra or else where the fuck were they during Episodes 4-6? Baby Yoda should be close to 75 years old by the (apparently one year or less) period that encompasses Episodes 7-9. Mando couldn’t have extended his curfew to let him fuck up Snoke and the First Order??? Or are they already dead long before Rey feels the touch of the Force for the first time?

I feel ya on this, even through Rebels I always had that “it can’t be a happy ending for like 75% of this crew” feeling.
And to be fair Filoni also bought his way out with Ezra and Thrawn. If it were an HBO show it woulda been a lot darker.

Now we have baby Yoda currently at 50, the same as darth Vader and we assume the first order/Snoke didn’t know about him enough to not worry about him... and I do want answers but I’m also sold enough to trust the process and enjoy the ride

On 12/13/2019 at 4:09 PM, Hanrahan said:

I love the show but wish they would move the overall plot along more quickly.  There should be a backstory of what efforts Werner Herzog is taking to get baby yoda, the urgency attached to it and sometime around now (episode 6 of 8) we need to learn why baby yoda is important.  Instead their have been three one off episodes that have not really advanced the overall plot.  We knew Werner really wanted baby yoda in episode one and we've known baby yoda and Mando have had bounties on them since episode three.  And, yes, I feel bad even typing this after being subjected to the aggravated sexual assault that was the Last Jedi.

I broke down and started watching it. This is where I’m at. I’m not a huge Star Wars fan and know almost nothing about the expanded universe outside of the movies. It’s a relatively boring show set in the Star Wars universe with a cute baby Yoda. If you’re not creaming you’re shorts because you see an X-wing, there isn’t much material there to stretch out the episodes for the casual watcher.

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

I broke down and started watching it. This is where I’m at. I’m not a huge Star Wars fan and know almost nothing about the expanded universe outside of the movies. It’s a relatively boring show set in the Star Wars universe with a cute baby Yoda. If you’re not creaming you’re shorts because you see an X-wing, there isn’t much material there to stretch out the episodes for the casual watcher.

I disagree, I’m not a huge Star Wars fan and only know cursory information but my kids love it and I pick it up as background noise (e.g. I know who Ezra is because I saw a darth maul animated episode the other day with him in it and the kid got an inquisition light saber for Christmas because it’s the only one that can fly apparently). But I loved this episode and overall have enjoyed this show. It’s not Watchmen but it is still fun and something I could bond over with a 10 year old. Problem is, the kids don’t like this show and call it a boring adult movie.

On 12/14/2019 at 6:57 AM, BrickHorn said:

Or A-Team, Incredible Hulk, Kung Fu, Walker, Texas Ranger, Quantum Leap, etc., etc.

Exactly.

Andy Greenwald on The Watch podcast was saying how this is basically a Star Wars version of 80s "action/adventure" TV shows.  Sort of a plot, but mainly just getting into new adventures each week.

He was saying it seems so unusual today because TV has become SO MUCH about plot/mystery and unraveling said mystery... but for YEARS, TV shows were just about a new adventure each week, and that's exactly what The Mandolorian is doing.