The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

If you had told me 35 years ago that Apollo Creed would be fighting alongside Yoda’s grandson against the Empire which had been defeated by plush toys, I’d have said you were crazy sweetheart.  Now let’s subscribe to Disney+ before mommy wakes up.  

17 hours ago, Iceman said:

It had better get a lot more fucking interesting than Ep 1...  I was told it was a combo of LOTR and GoT.

Yeah...Not so much.  Yet.

It's not worse than the mandalorian, if you strip away all the sentimental attachment to the SW universe....

On 11/15/2019 at 8:55 PM, MissingInAction said:

I would pay $100 for a video game that was nothing but causing the disentigration of ewoks via Mandalorian rage.

"Punting" them in Force Unleashed was pretty cool.

I waited until all the episodes dropped to sign up for Disney+ and so avoided this thread (count me in the "threads should allow discussion of the show without spoilers once the ep airs, especially when the eps drop weekly" camp) until now.  Through two episodes I'll echo everyone's sentiments:  This is freaking awesome.  The first two eps establish Mando as a badass and yet a "man got to have a code" sort of badass.  This is epic Star Wars Universe stuff.  Not to mention the inclusion of some of the concept art/sketches for the episode during the credits makes the SW nerd in me very happy as well.

Side note: I planned on binge-watching The Mandalorian and cancelling within seven days.  Yeah, I think we'll be keeping it a while.  Imma rewatch Clone Wars and Rebels, and my kiddo loves all the offerings it has, too.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 7:15 AM, Buzzrock said:

Yeah the end got a little weird. But they had built up a lot of capital with me at that point so I was up for it. I could definitely see some Surlsters complaining about it though.

I believe they weren’t done with where they were headed with the story when they got canceled, and they certainly hadn’t made it to the battle of Corrusant where RoTS starts but felt like they were getting close. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The more SW I binge, the more I start wondering things like why don’t they use the force more often and why are there walkers when there are speeders and all ships have VTOL capability?  I should take a break but I don’t want to just stop 30 episodes into rebels. 

On the force question - the simple answer is they do whatever best serves the story.... :)

But I believe in the old EU, they used the explanation that certain force abilities are more "draining" than others and take time to "recharge", so to speak. 

Force grabbing a light saber... not a big deal....can do that all day long... but moving extremely heavy objects, or "force pushing" a bunch of enemies during a fight, or force lightening, etc., are much more draining and they couldn't just do that stuff constantly or they would get to the point where they were too weak to move.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/1/2020 at 12:42 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Quick question as I watch clone wars. 
during the deathwatch episodes, the leader takes his helmet on and off as needed. How does this jibe with their warrior code and this show?

Yeah it's definitely an inconsistency between the Mandalorian and Clone Wars/Rebels.  

Filoni isn't Lucas... he doesn't just throw stuff in casually with no explanation in mind... I have a feeling we'll get an explanation in season 2. 

9 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah it's definitely an inconsistency between the Mandalorian and Clone Wars/Rebels.  

Filoni isn't Lucas... he doesn't just throw stuff in casually with no explanation in mind... I have a feeling we'll get an explanation in season 2. 

I think it’s related to the Great Purge, but I’m not sure if the timeline works out. I’ll defer to the experts here. 

I read a recap and they said the Great Purge hasn’t been depicted/explained yet in Star Wars Canon. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

10 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Happen to be watching “The Protector of Concord Dawn” now, and they introduce the people as mandelorians that fought with mandelore before the empire, and are hard core warriors that make their own rules. 
that doesn’t necessarily fit in with mando’s flashbacks but it could be that mandelorians fragmented into many sects, as I believe was stated upthread. 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Happen to be watching “The Protector of Concord Dawn” now, and they introduce the people as mandelorians that fought with mandelore before the empire, and are hard core warriors that make their own rules. 
that doesn’t necessarily fit in with mando’s flashbacks but it could be that mandelorians fragmented into many sects, as I believe was stated upthread. 

The Mandalorians who saved him when he was a child are part of Death Watch. They're pretty hard core warriors. They don't show up in Rebels but they were on Clone Wars.

https://www.starwars.com/databank/death-watch

The more SW I binge, the more I start wondering things like why don’t they use the force more often and why are there walkers when there are speeders and all ships have VTOL capability?  I should take a break but I don’t want to just stop 30 episodes into rebels. 

Walkers look and sound cool. That’s it, that’s the reason.

On 1/5/2020 at 6:16 AM, Iceman said:

It had better get a lot more fucking interesting than Ep 1...  I was told it was a combo of LOTR and GoT.

Yeah...Not so much.  Yet.

Who on earth said that?  It's OK in general, a lot better than any of the recent movies, but to compare it to LOTR or GOT is a joke. 

On 1/6/2020 at 4:51 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

The more SW I binge, the more I start wondering things like why don’t they use the force more often? 

If someone was strong enough in the force (Vader?), do they even need a light saber? Couldn’t they just stop an enemy’s blade with the force, or even use the force to impale their enemy with his own blade?

I'm making my way through Clone Wars, and one of the things that is increasingly pissing me off about the Jedi... their use of the force.  Obi Wan just used the force to pull out a chair to sit.  Why aren't Jedi constantly using the force in battle?  Has this ever been answered?  It's such a powerful weapon and tool, yet it's only used partially.

I'm making my way through Clone Wars, and one of the things that is increasingly pissing me off about the Jedi... their use of the force.  Obi Wan just used the force to pull out a chair to sit.  Why aren't Jedi constantly using the force in battle?  Has this ever been answered?  It's such a powerful weapon and tool, yet it's only used partially.

In legend/eu it was established that it was like a drain to use the force, using life force to use a different force ability. So battle meditation became a big thing to recharge themselves.

I dont think Lucas ever made it canon but others have used some of it in their versions. And used it to explain why Qui Gon meditated where as Obi was pacing much like Maul, also to explain why Obi and Anakin were much more brash in their use of the force and consistently exhausting themselves prior to a big duel.

23 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

In legend/eu it was established that it was like a drain to use the force, using life force to use a different force ability. So battle meditation became a big thing to recharge themselves.

I dont think Lucas ever made it canon but others have used some of it in their versions. And used it to explain why Qui Gon meditated where as Obi was pacing much like Maul, also to explain why Obi and Anakin were much more brash in their use of the force and consistently exhausting themselves prior to a big duel.

Yeah this.

They talked about it quite a bit in the old EU.  IIRC, one of the most "draining" moves was the "force blast", which is why they would always use that as a last resort/escape maneuver.

Rewatching Rebels.  Holy shit this is an amazing series. Season two gets fucking amazing, especially the season finale, and carries it all the way until the end of the series. Filoni was amazing in this series. I can't begin to imagine how good next season of The Mando is going to be.

All things Star Wars should go through Filoni going foward.

• Like 2

It was Maul. In the Clone Wars it was shown that he didn’t die after being cut in half. He survived through his hatred for Obi Wan. He got robotic legs at some point. I think it was Lucas acknowledging he screwed up with cutting Maul in half during Phantom Menace. 

1 hour ago, Constant said:

I’m a little late to the party, but this series is amazing. Should I watch Clone Wars or Rebels first? I haven’t seen either before. 

1 hour ago, Calihorn said:

Clone wars, it came first and is the better series.

Look for the abrieviated episode list up thread. There's no need to watch every episode. 

Rebels is a lot tighter and shorter so you should probably watch every episode of it. 

Edited by Viper

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Look for the abrieviated episode list up thread. There's no need to watch every episode. 

Rebels is a lot tighter and shorter so you should probably watch every episode of it. 

Yeah, I got that link for the condensed Clone Wars. Thanks. 

I never watched the Clone Wars. I've caught highlights on YouTube. It was just too tough for me to get invested in characters who for the most part I knew were already dead. Plus, I just couldn't care about the exploits of Anakin. I may go back and watch the Mandalorian episodes of Clone Wars and I think I'll watch this final season of Clone Wars when it springs up. Rebels is great because for the most part it's brand new characters whose fates hadn't been decided yet. I admit I should probably give Clone Wars a chance but it's just hard to dive into it. 

Edited by mdmost

Just now, mdmost said:

I never watched the Clone Wars. I've caught highlights on YouTube. It was just too tough for me to get invested in characters who for the most part I knew were already dead. Plus, I just couldn't care about the exploits of Anakin. I may go back and watch the Mandalorian episodes of Clone Wars and I think I'll watch this final season of Clone Wars when it springs up. Rebels is great because for the most part it's brand new characters whose fates hadn't been decided yet. I admit I should probably give Clone Wars a chance but it's just hard to dive into it. 

Except none of the main cast die. 

True. But I know most of the Jedi are all wiped out in Episode 3 and all but a handful of Clones go evil, not their choice but still. Ahsoka is a great character but I got a good enough fill of her in Rebels and there's the rumored sequel series coming up. I admit I didn't give it a chance but it's a large part of why I prefer to watch Rebels. Plus Rebels has that OT feeling, like Mando and Rogue One. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from watching Clone Wars. Just stating why I couldn't get into it. I also have prequels bias that definitely clouds my ability to sit down and watch it. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

True. But I know most of the Jedi are all wiped out in Episode 3 and all but a handful of Clones go evil, not their choice but still. Ahsoka is a great character but I got a good enough fill of her in Rebels and there's the rumored sequel series coming up. I admit I didn't give it a chance but it's a large part of why I prefer to watch Rebels. Plus Rebels has that OT feeling, like Mando and Rogue One. 

Well, its not any of the jedi we really care about, and the clones we care about don't go evil.