The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

Got the hair down. Actually not a bad look a like for an early 30s Sabine

Wow I actually got the picture to work...

and while we’re on big(ish) name new cast members, Timothy Olyphant will be in S2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thedisinsider.com/2020/05/15/timothy-olyphant-joins-the-mandalorian-season-two/amp/

spacer.png

Edited by UT_OB1

On 3/26/2020 at 11:08 PM, Buzzrock said:

I’m not saying Ashley should automatically get the nod, but I’m not totally feeling RD as Ahsoka. Ahsoka is one of my favorite characters ever and I really want them to do her justice. She has such an interesting arc across Clone Wars and Rebels.

Ashley has been the one and only voice of Ahsoka for about 100 episodes of CW and Rebels. It will be weird hearing RD trying to sound like her. Whoever gets the part is going to have a shit load of makeup. Why must they use a “name actress” or whatever was mentioned?

A little spoilerish, so I hid it.  Olyphant's character is supposed to be someone from the canon book Aftermath.  Gives a little info on Boba.

Spoiler

Our sources have confirmed to us that Olyphant filmed scenes wearing Boba Fett’s Mandalorian armor for the upcoming second season of The Mandalorian. That might sound confusing because earlier this month it was reported that Temuera Morrison, who originated the role of Jango Fett (Boba’s clone father), had been cast as Boba Fett. So what’s going on here?

If Morrison is playing the role of Boba Fett, then Timothy Olyphant is playing an enigmatic character named Cobb Vanth. Introduced in Chuck Wendig’s Aftermath book series, Vanth is the self-appointed sheriff of the Tatooine-based settlement Freetown. He wears a mysterious set of Mandalorian armor that was acquired from Jawas who scavenged the wreckage of Jabba the Hutt’s sail barge shortly after the events of Return of the Jedi. As you may recall, that was the site of a battle where Boba Fett was thrown into the Sarlacc Pit on Tatooine’s Dune Sea. It’s assumed that the Mandalorian armor purchased by Vanth is none other than the infamous green armor formerly worn by one of the galaxy’s most notorious bounty hunters, Boba Fett.

Very little has been revealed about Vanth’s backstory, only that he was once a slave, as evidenced by a star-shaped scar carved into his back, signifying ownership. With the fall of gangster Jabba the Hut, a power vacuum has consumed Tatooine, drawing all sorts of crime syndicates to take over the unruled landscape. Cobb has committed his life in the service of protecting Freetown and keeping criminal elements, like the Red Key Raiders, away from Tatooine. He even struck a deal with the Tusken Raiders to help protect the township.

It should be noted that all of the above character details were revealed during the Aftermath book series. We don’t know what he part he plays in the upcoming season of The Mandalorian, but I think the books offer a rad set-up for the character. The Aftermath series gave the impression that while Boba Fett may be dead, the iconic armor would live on for another generation. But if Fett himself is still alive, and present in The Mandalorian season 2, this complicates things.

In the Mandalorian season one episode titled “The Gunslinger,” a mysterious figure was teased, sporting the bounty hunter’s trademark spurs. In that episode, the Mandalorian agrees to help a young bounty hunter named Toro Calican acquire a target on the desert planet of Tatooine. Their search for the assassin Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen) takes them across the Dune Sea, home of the Sarlacc Pit that was thought to have killed Boba Fett. Calican takes out Shand and tries to double-cross the Mandalorian, leading to his own death. In the final moments of the episode, we see a mysterious character approaching the seemingly lifeless body of Fennec Shand. We can see and hear the bounty hunter’s trademark spurs and a cape hangs down, reminiscent of the one Fett may have worn. Is that character Boba Fett, or is it Cobb Vanth?

Was Fett’s Mandalorian armor reclaimed by the Jawas after the Sarlacc spit them out, or did Boba Fett pawn them for a ride off this dirty sand planet? Morrison’s casting led many to assume this meant that Boba Fett survived the fall into the Great Pit of Carkoon, forever changing Star Wars canon. But that might not be the case at all. Maybe Fett’s appearance could be limited to an establishing flashback. The hardworking team at The Hollywood Reporter even noted that it was only a “small role” in season two. But why would Vanth be all the way out in the Dune Sea? Perhaps this season may be leading to a confrontation between Vanth and Fett, with the bounty hunter coming back to reclaim his armor? And how will any of this involve The Mandalorian? We’ll have to tune in to find out.

We reached out to Lucasfilm for comment but received no response back, as was typical with our previous Mandalorian scoops. The Mandalorian season 2 is still scheduled to be released in October 2020 on Disney+.

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 8:35 PM, UT_OB1 said:

According to this, Sabine confirmed in Mandolorian, and Ashoka spin-off confirmed that will have Sabine, Hera, Chopper, and Zeb

Some WWE wrestler named Sasha Banks cast for Mando S2 that is suspected to be Sabine  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fandomwire.com/ahsoka-tano-live-action-disney-plus-star-wars-series/amp/

On 5/15/2020 at 10:38 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Never heard of Sasha Banks, but damn she looks like she can save them on the make budget for Sabine.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:50 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Got the hair down. Actually not a bad look a like for an early 30s Sabine

Wow I actually got the picture to work...

and while we’re on big(ish) name new cast members, Timothy Olyphant will be in S2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thedisinsider.com/2020/05/15/timothy-olyphant-joins-the-mandalorian-season-two/amp/

spacer.png

I man I'm scared of this.  I know Sasha Banks as a wrestling fan...and like her in general.  But haven't seen her act at all.  And she talks with a lisp that I'm sure will turn some people off.

I thought this was just a rumor and not a for sure casting yet....but like always, I have faith in the guys running this show.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to have Snoop Dogg's cousin on the Mandalorian.  I'm sure he'll give it some love on other platforms.

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
On 5/15/2020 at 12:57 PM, LonghornSean said:
I loved Shadows of the Empire. Won't happen but I'd love to see an animated film version of that.

N64 game ftw!!!

Man I loved that game...I remember being stuck on the train junkyard boss for what seemed like forever.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:48 PM, The Dog said:

that's correct, but they have also shown to take "legends" material and make it canon by introducing them in various ways such as Thrawn in Rebels and Revan in Rise of Skywalker. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Legends material end up in The Mandalorian. 

Oh yeah for sure.

I was just meaning that all of that old EU stuff that was previously canon wasn't any more. But yeah, once they pull any of the pieces into one of the canon sources (Thrawn, etc.) they certainly become canon. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

My buddy was working for like a week straight trying to figure out how they did this when it was first shown. He now uses it for his work with the company he works for.

It’s amazing as he was showing me his concepts and how it worked...

Crazy to see how it plays out in the Mandalorian

18 minutes ago, ajax said:

Interesting

If you haven't been watching the "Behind the Scenes" series on The Mandalorian on D+, you should check it out.

The take deep dives into every aspect of the production, including one on this topic -- the massive virtual set they created called "The Void."  The get into all of stuff they talk about in this video in terms of using a combination of VR and gaming engines to make it work.  It's really amazing. 

The connected universe will be comprised of several series, including The Mandalorian, a live-action Ahsoka Tano series, a live-action Boba Fett series, a live-action Ezra Bridger/Grand Admiral Thrawn series and an unannounced show featuring a new character. It was previously reported that a live-action Ahsoka Tano show was in early development soon after it was announced she would appear in The Mandalorian season 2; similarly, a Boba Fett series was also rumored. Meanwhile, there has been no announcement of an Ezra Bridger/Grand Admiral Thrawn show; however, it has been reported that Disney was in the process of casting live-action versions of each character.

https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/06/16/dave-filoni-helm-star-wars-live-action-universe/

• Like 1

They just need to make a mini-series called “life and times in a galaxy far far away”

Each season looks in on a different part of the galaxy. Ezra Thrawn, Ashoka Sabine, boba fett sarlacc pit, Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, Manuel “Manny” Bothans, etc.

Each season can be 10-20 episodes if they want.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

wow.

how do you keep the boba fett series different enough from the mandalorian though?

He appears to stop being the Bobs Fett we know after the Sarlac based on the little info there is about his armor being taken by someone else. Maybe we get PTSD Boba working through daddy issues?  

6 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

They just need to make a mini-series called “life and times in a galaxy far far away”

Each season looks in on a different part of the galaxy. Ezra Thrawn, Ashoka Sabine, boba fett sarlacc pit, Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, Manuel “Manny” Bothans, etc.

Each season can be 10-20 episodes if they want.

Blend it with some kind of MTV Real World concept (early Real World).  

I notice that Rose isn't getting her own show.

This makes too much sense and is giving the dedicated fans what they want, therefore I feel like Kathleen Kennedy had little input on it.

I am starting to believe that her problem was mostly a failure of leadership and that with the right people, Dave/Jon or even George, she can be fine. But the latest trilogy lacked the input of a hardcore fan which lead to the significant continuity issues. Instead of realizing their mistake, they circled the wagons and created more continuity issues and dismissed everyone as a misogynists instead of taking an objective look at the issues raised.
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, Nivek said:

I am starting to believe that her problem was mostly a failure of leadership and that with the right people, Dave/Jon or even George, she can be fine. But the latest trilogy lacked the input of a hardcore fan which lead to the significant continuity issues.

The problem is, she's running LucasFilm, which technically means she's Dave and Jon's boss.    Although, from what's been said, Dave and Jon basically have their own operation that is independent of her, and they report to her bosses (or something along those lines).  I've seen her on set, but it didn't feel like she was in charge of all things Star Wars.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, Nivek said:

Instead of realizing their mistake, they circled the wagons and created more continuity issues and dismissed everyone as a misogynists instead of taking an objective look at the issues raised.

Her biggest failure/problem, is that she cannot read the room and she can't plan things out.  She, and the people she brought in, failed to read the room, failed to look deeper than the misogynist trolls (there were plenty and they were loud, but they were not in the majority).    Plenty of hardcore fans loved Rogue One, even though it had a female protagonist.    In fact, Rogue One is by far the favorite of the post-prequel movies for many hardcore fans.

As many of us said in the sequel threads, there should have been a vision for the entire trilogy and scripts written for all three movies at the same time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The problem is, she's running LucasFilm, which technically means she's Dave and Jon's boss.    Although, from what's been said, Dave and Jon basically have their own operation that is independent of her, and they report to her bosses (or something along those lines).  I've seen her on set, but it didn't feel like she was in charge of all things Star Wars.

Her biggest failure/problem, is that she cannot read the room and she can't plan things out.  She, and the people she brought in, failed to read the room, failed to look deeper than the misogynist trolls (there were plenty and they were loud, but they were not in the majority).    Plenty of hardcore fans loved Rogue One, even though it had a female protagonist.    In fact, Rogue One is by far the favorite of the post-prequel movies for many hardcore fans.

As many of us said in the sequel threads, there should have been a vision for the entire trilogy and scripts written for all three movies at the same time.

The misogynist angle was always wrong and could easily be dismissed by someone over 40 who say, saw the Aliens franchise.   Well for those younger, the Tomb Raider (Assassin's Creed Odessey), altogether that easily dispel the red herring attempt across multiple decades.  

She may have troubles reading the room, but she also seems to have trouble reading the script.  (har har har).  I was actually surprised they did not write the entire trilogy first before dividing it up into 3 more movies, that seems like the best way to maintain continuity and is what George did in the OT.   

Lastly the embolden part above?  

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I always thought George has a basic outline for the entire saga, so it was strange to me to see that other writers were doing it. Or was that a Disney choice to not use whatever he had envisioned?

When Lucas sold the franchise to Disney, he included his outline for a trilogy that took place after RoTJ. Disney said 'k thanks bye," removed the entire Extended Universe from SW canon, and went their own direction.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2019-09-25/george-lucas-felt-betrayed-by-disneys-star-wars-decisions/

Back to The Mandalorian, I'll say this: After watching Episode 8 of Gallery ("Connections")... it's an understatement to say Favs and Filoni totally and completely "get" Star Wars, and they need sole creative authority over the entire franchise.  Imma re-binge Clone Wars and Rebels to get ready for Mando Season 2.

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

New Thrawn trilogy now part of canon, apparently.

It is being released this year.  All the books released after Disney took over are canon (excluding any of the books that were in the process of being released when the purchase happened, those are EU).  

46 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

What's the name of the Thrawn trilogy already out that is still part of canon?

I haven't really seen a name for the trilogy yet, but it's here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Thrawn 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0819XKR7P

New trilogy coming out is a prequel called Thrawn Ascendancy showing more about Thrawn's rise in the Chiss Ascendancy before his time with the Empire.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Thrawn-Ascendancy-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B07YK1JM4S

btw, I highly recommend the audiobooks for these. Marc Thompson does a great Thrawn and the other voices are well distinguishable, plus they add in Star Wars sound effects.  

Edited by Viper

Ah. I see what you were referring to. Is that a Trilogy or a standing series that they will keep adding more to (similar to say Rogue squadron)?

I haven’t picked up a single new canon book, but my kids, especially my daughter, are such huge fans of Ashoka, and Zahn writing more Thrawn may be enough to pull me back in. 

Edited by UT_OB1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

And Thrawn will absolutely be a character in the Filoni live-action universe. He's too good a character to not utilize. 

Shame Ben Mendelsohn has already played a SW character, imperial no less.

Jude Law?  Ralph Fiennes?

Edited by atomheartbevo