The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

Are we doing spoiler tags at this point for the episodes or just the deeper speculation stuff?

the total demolition of stormtrooper helmets by that staff was fucking awesome. Temura brought a real viciousness to Boba that was sorely needed. 

Can't wait for more Bill Burr. Mando getting together basically star wars suicide squad to rescu Grogu. I'm there for it. Reunite with Bo Katan and crew chasing the dark saber. 5 Mandos, Fenec, Burr and Gina vs the dark troopers . Get wrecked.

If Sabine shows up I'm real curious how that would happen with only 2 eps left. This show moves fucking fast when it want's to though. They'll slap you in the face with a plot mechanism and move right on.

Somebody might go investigate that temple and see the wreckage left behind, find a clue, and set something up either for this season or next. ala the boba teaser last season. The question is whoooooo would it be. A jedi or someome close to one? Ezra? Maybe he checks it out, leaves behind a jedi business card, they call him up to set up a new show? 

Spoiler

things that won't happen but would be funny.

Mace Windu at the end of this season, hooded figure seen walking up to the temple to investigate, as camera pans around from behind to the side, you see a black hand reach up to remove the hood. Cut before face reveal.

Bo contacts Sabine to recruit her to battle Gideon and get the saber back (do they know each other? I can't remember rebels details that well. Bo could still know of her from recent contact with Ahsoka that she must have had knowing she'd be on that planet for that one specific purpose at that time)

Spoiler

nit picking a couple of dumb things

Mando running away from the jetpack he just put down at his feet. Run up this massive bolder hill dodging rocks...... or fly? I get that it grounded the fight scene for the sake of the look of the episode and tension.... and it worked, sneaking around boulders wrecking shit was dope... but my brain is like that wouldn't happen that way.

Fenec or however you spell it... running along the ridge away from a machine gun, that's like running away from a train but staying on the tracks. She's an elite hunter....you'd think she would have crested the ridge then popped up different places picking them off keeping distance between them. but it set up the rock rolling down and saving the day. But who the hell sets up a machinegun at the bottom of a hill to point up. set it up back behind and shoot over your guys heads.

he didn't direct this one, but I know what you mean. John Favreau basically just gets to mentor Filoni in the art of live action film making while Filoni flexes his gigantic star wars nuts and we all get to enjoy the result. Star Wars is in very good hands at the moment.

Robert Rodriguez did a great job directing this one too. I have my little annoyances logically at a few things, but man it looked great. The brutal up close destruction of troopers heads by Boba is just so fucking satisfying. The episode was grounded and the violence felt personal haha. And exactly what Boba needed as far as his character goes, the legend of Boba was always cool but he was such a little bitch in the movies. Little bitch he is not. Not anymore. Cracking skulls and two bird one stone on the transports. Yikes. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

he didn't direct this one, but I know what you mean. John Favreau basically just gets to mentor Filoni in the art of live action film making while Filoni flexes his gigantic star wars nuts and we all get to enjoy the result. Star Wars is in very good hands at the moment.

Robert Rodriguez did a great job directing this one too. I have my little annoyances logically at a few things, but man it looked great. The brutal up close destruction of troopers heads by Boba is just so fucking satisfying. The episode was grounded and the violence felt personal haha. And exactly what Boba needed as far as his character goes, the legend of Boba was always cool but he was such a little bitch in the movies. Little bitch he is not. Not anymore. Cracking skulls and two bird one stone on the transports. Yikes. 

They hired the right director to bring the violence thunder. This episode won’t sell many toys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

That was a Star Wars version of Desperado. We finally saw the bad ass that Boba Fett was and why he was the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy. 

I’ll still stick with my Magnificent Seven prediction. Mando, Fennec, Boba, Bill Burr, Bo Katan and her two Mandos. Then we’ll get an appearance by some kind of Jedi, hopefully Ezra. Maybe Ahsoka returns but I think they wouldn't have Gideon go up against a Jedi. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That was a Star Wars version of Desperado. We finally saw the bad ass that Boba Fett was and why he was the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy. 

I’ll still stick with my Magnificent Seven prediction. Mando, Fenec, Boba, Bill Burr, Bo Katan and her two Mandos. Then we’ll get an appearance by some kind of Jedi, hopefully Ezra.

Cara Dune is at the Galactic Golden Corral? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She said she was going straight so I doubt her or Greef get involved. Maybe add in Greef and Cara in for the other two Mandos. As big a Western and samurai fan Filoni appears to be, the Seven Samurai parallels will happen. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Well there is Cal Kestis(or his sorta mentor Cere) from the hugely popular and well received Jedi Fallen Order Game that came out not to long ago.  Wouldn't be the first Character to come from an outside source.

Maybe Quinlan Vos, he's still alive somewhere, and did an appearance in Filoni's CW.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just watched and replying before I read y'all's posts

1.  Best Episode yet
  2. Mando is trying to talk himself into giving Grogu up for adoption in the beginning was a foreshadow that he was too invested to let it go.
  3. What was Grogu doing while meditating?  It reminded me of Luke in TROS.  Was he doing a Dr Xavier/Cerebro thing? If successful do we see someone like Luke or another Jedi show up?
  4. Slave One!!!
  5. "I'm a simple man making my way through the galaxy[, like my father before me]." I've heard that before. Will look it up but think Jango said it to ObiWan.
  6. Battle scene and when Boba gets his armor back is a great climax.
  7. Rock rolling down the hill nod to ROTLA
  8. Storm Troopers give up and run.  Accidental take down of both ships :)
  9. Dark Troopers up close are some kind of robotic Iron Man.
  10. Grogu force choking hahaha, but I think Gideon was waiting to see if he would kill them go to dark
  11. Debt, code, this is the way...
  12. Setting up for a rescue mission like ANH

Question:  How did Boba escape the sarlac?

Edited by TexasEd

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Is Kyle Katarn a possibility? I only vaguely remember him sarcastically telling me the key will be on the next level.

Kyle Katarn, Cal Kestis, Quinlan Vos, and of course, Ezra, are all candidates, but my money is either on Vos or Ezra.  Kyle and Cal are video game characters, well-liked, but Vos and Ezra were in the FiloniVerse.

I think he's saving Ezra either for Ahsoka's series, or for a Thrawn arc next season.  

I'm going with Vos.   He had some huge story arc that was going to be in Clone Wars, but it was canceled and ended up in a novel, and Filoni loves to do call backs to characters he likes.  Fuck it, cast Jason Momoa and have him wear one of his Dune outfits, darken/shorten his hair, and you've almost got Vos.

• Hook 'Em 1

The last few weeks = best few hours of Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back (sorry Rogue One, but you're close behind!).

We finally got to see Boba Fest live up to the reputation that was built around him before he took a dive into a Sarlacc pit.

I've got to say, they did a fantastic job of bringing Boba Fest in.  I really didn't think they could do it.  I really didn't think they'd even go there.  Figured it would be Rex.

Fucking amazing.  Jazzed (or jizzed?) over the idea of a Seven Samurai/Dirty Dozen/Wild Bunch/Magnificent Seven showdown.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, atomheartbevo said:

So my son is watching the LEGO Freemaker Adventures, and holy shit the main Hutt character, Graballa the Hutt?, is voiced by the same guy who does Master Shake for Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and it's the same fucking voice.

It's driving me up the wall hearing that voice coming out of a Hutt's mouth.

I haven't seen the LEGO series, but same actor for Granny on Squidbillies.

11 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

nice dad bod temuera

I thought so at first viewing, but a quick look on Google and  apparently he still works out regularly.

Watching it again, obviously he hurriedly throws the armor on over his outfit/robe/whatever so he is bulky.

But, and I can't describe it very well, and maybe it's influenced by the line earlier about swearing allegiance to no one, which s totally a Ronin Samurai thing, but it's almost like they were trying to make him look like a Samurai of some sort, with the black robe and then the armor.  The way the camera caught him moving a few times just felt like it was out of a Samurai movie, and the clothing combination felt like that big Samurai armor/outfit.

Like he's rearing back, about to take a swing with a sword (or rather his staff).  This doesn't do it justice, needs to be seen moving, but it just felt very Samurai-ish.

spacer.png

Kind of like this, but not the best comparison.  Just how he moved.

spacer.png

For comparison, here he is last year doing PR for the Dora movie.

Spoiler

los-angeles-usa-28th-july-2019-temuera-m

He could have put on weight since last year, but I think they deliberately bulked him with the clothing and the armor on top for some kind of Samurai look.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Amazing episode. My routine of watching it on Saturday mornings makes me feel like a kid again. Can’t wait for the next one. Grogu!

100% me.  I get up early and watch this and then wind down with a couple of episodes of Clone Wars.  My inner 11-yr old is happy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking amazing.  Jazzed (or jizzed?) over the idea of a Seven Samurai/Dirty Dozen/Wild Bunch/Magnificent Seven showdown.

Don’t forget Battle Beyond the Stars - Roger Corman’s Seven Samurai in space movie. He even named the people the Akira after Seven Samurai director Akira Kurosawa.

Movie nerd out

7d81f88041d4472a0225327f7de3d196.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

I would have a hard time buying Gideon being able to hang with Ahsoka in a lightsaber duel.  Darth Maul whipped the shit out of the Death Watch leader who had the Darksaber and she is at or past Maul's level at this point.

Edited by kevwun

30 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm just thinking about how boner inducing an Ahsoka saves the day scenario would be.

It's Din's show, mdmost has a good point - Filoni made it a point to introduce the spear in an episode he wrote/directed, made sure Din got the spear, then made it a point that he pulls the spear out of the wreckage.

I think Ahsoka shows up though, along with Bo-Katan.  I think the season ends with some kind of reference to Thrawn to either spin off Ahsoka's show, or setup the third season.  I'm not even sure Gideon will be fully defeated or killed - Filoni had plenty of powerful bad guys that survived multiple seasons in his animated shows.

12 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

A jedi is showing up. It's just a matter of which one.

If we were to put odds on it, what would it look like?

Ezra +300 follows that a Filoni character would make an appearance

Luke +150 maybe some de-aging technology brings Luke back to train Grogu

I don't know, what do y'all think?

Well, we know the next episode will be springing Mayfield from prison. The in the finale we'll probably have a cliffhanger with the team getting their ass kicked by the Dark Troopers and Gideon.  With Grogu still in captivity and the team barely getting away (maybe casualties of Cara, Fennec, Mayfield, etc.)  In the final scene, we'll see some cloaked figure approach the Jedi temple with the only reveal being a mechanical hand.  Everyone thinks it is Luke but it is probably the rumored to be alive Mace Windu.  We won't know who until next year.