The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

how come in star wars they got all this speeder, hyperspace traveling technology, but the zapping guns fire literally slower than a bow and arrow, and none of these things have automatic targeting technology?

and the screens are all lower resolution than a 1980s sony

Only problem I had with Bill Burr was that the character personality from the first encounter was a bit harder and the second was a bit broken down and compassionate for others.

But I guess being imprisoned and coupled being face to face with the man responsible for much of his trauma would be dramatic and could explain that personality shift. Plus he doesn’t have to keep up a front for an unruly crew.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, mdmost said:

Anyone else think Bill Burr will be a regular on the Rangers of the New Republic series? He was fantastic in this episode. The slow boil while he was getting angrier and angrier with his former CO was some great tension. 

Yeah, his character arc was impressive.

I know some consider it filler, but Rick Fukuyama did a fine job of both writing and directing an episode that was out of the norm (presenting the Empire from the inside).

And loved the Rambo "I'm coming for you".  On the one hand, normally uncharacteristic for Mando to do something like that, on the other hand he is going through a bit of an arc.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The Rambo thing felt like a set up to me, like he’s tying to get them to do something or not do something on response to that transmission. 

Mando went full MacGruber on this. No reason to let MG know that he’s coming for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Who would have guessed that Bill Burr would become one of the preeminent characters in the Star Wars universe?

It's 2020, of course that would happen.

Meanwhile, poor Horatio Sanz is stuck in blue paint, and having his speeder completely flattened (but it  was a mint Trexler Marauder that did it!) 

Edited by atomheartbevo

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Hell yes.

I used to use this scene to demo my home theater system for people.  Attack of the Clones might suck ass as a film, but the sound design on this scene is fucking amazing.

Clearly haven’t seen the prequels in so long bc I forgot about this 

I bet it sounded amazing 

Seeing Slave I in action is definitely one of my favorite parts of this season. Such a badass ship. Although rewatching the full space battle seismic charge scene from AOTC reminded me of how damn cringey young Boba was in AOTC. Thank goodness they are turning him into a badass and then some in this show

8 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Seeing Slave I in action is definitely one of my favorite parts of this season. Such a badass ship. Although rewatching the full space battle seismic charge scene from AOTC reminded me of how damn cringey young Boba was in AOTC. Thank goodness they are turning him into a badass and then some in this show

Rodriguez was 12 when Empire came out, and basically he took the impression he had of Boba from when his was 12, and ran with it:

“To go play in Star Wars with all the toys and to get to play with Boba Fett as one of your main [characters] — I just thought, ‘I gotta go in there and just have him be… I don’t know if he’s going to show up in any more episodes or what, so I just gotta make him super badass in this moment [and] be that character that I imagined him being when I heard about him when I was 12. That was my mission, just to go satisfy that 12-year-old fascination with the character.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s pretty fucking nuts that we get Boba Fett kicking ass all these years later. It’s so great. 

I would like to go back 5 years and tell myself "hey, the best Star Wars 5 years from now will be on TV, and it'll feature Boba Fett, a baby Yoda, Apollo Creed, and Bill Burr!"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Rodriguez was 12 when Empire came out, and basically he took the impression he had of Boba from when his was 12, and ran with it:

IIRC, the Boba Fett action figure was not initially available at the stores ... didn't you have to collect pieces or something and them mail-in for him?

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

IIRC, the Boba Fett action figure was not initially available at the stores ... didn't you have to collect pieces or something and them mail-in for him?

Correct.

I also remember the Emperor was the same way. You had to collect "proof of purchase" labels from the boxes and mail them in.

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s pretty fucking nuts that we get Boba Fett kicking ass all these years later. It’s so great. 

It was like when we finally got Vader at the end of Rogue One.

I'd love to see a reenvisioning of the original trilogy from the Empire's perspective...where the Empire is truly terrifying, Vader is a rabid dog, the Stormtroopers are cold ass killers, the Jedi are a weird ass religious cult, and the rebels are hanging on by a thread.  Now that Disney is adding the adult filter to Disney+, maybe we can get something like that as a limited series. 

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 2

I know this is not Mando related but thought this was great because it shows the attention to detail under Filoni. SWs universe is in GREAT hands. 

From Clone Wars. First pic is the first time that they were all together. Last pic is the last time they were all together.

mvdxu4qo83561.jpg

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

It was like when we finally got Vader at the end of Rogue One.

I'd love to see a reenvisioning of the original trilogy from the Empire's perspective...where the Empire is truly terrifying, Vader is a rabid dog, the Stormtroopers are cold ass killers, the Jedi are a weird ass religious cult, and the rebels are hanging on by a thread.  Now that Disney is adding the adult filter to Disney+, maybe we can get something like that as a limited series. 

They’re doing the what if? series with marvel, they could do it with Star Wars. Or what if Vader shoots luke down before he can bomb the exhaust port?

Correct and if you were like me and didn’t mail your stuff in early you got the Boba version 2 that did it have the jet pack rocket launcher... because you idiots choked on them.

Man Star Wars, transformers and GIJoe had us collecting the POP labels for Boba, Reflector and Sgt.slaughter back then.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The Rambo thing felt like a set up to me, like he’s tying to get them to do something or not do something on response to that transmission. 

This was my thought.  He did it for a reason.  We'll find out why eventually.

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Yep, but there were a few photos in a couple of magazines in the lead up to the movie's launch, and there was like the same photo of Boba Fett, and we were all fixated on him, because nothing was really said about him.

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Man Star Wars, transformers and GIJoe had us collecting the POP labels for Boba, Reflector and Sgt.slaughter back then.

My 8 year-old has all of my Star Wars and G I Joe stuff from the 80s, and we've slowly been repairing what needed to be repaired, and acquiring things that I didn't have.   He got pissed when he opened up a small box, and it was full of Flag points I never sent off, and he informed me of what I could have received in the mail.

Thankfully, Walmart and Hasboro are re-releasing the 1980s G I Joe figures and vehicles in the stores as we speak, and Hasboro has a retro Star Wars line.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Now that the 9 additional Star Wars series have been named, do we need an additional thread for theories and speculation? 

I kind of think no - Mando ends this week until a year from now (and this is going to be a long damned week as a result).

I don't know if this embeds, but we'll see.

leonz9s8j6561.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/13/2020 at 3:07 AM, Ted Lange said:

Burr was fine.  He isn’t an actor so he is graded on a curve..  I enjoyed the episode, but that was filler,.  Very  MEH by other episode standards. 

Sometimes I think people don't actually know what "filler" is when they say stuff like this.

Filoni does NOT do FILLER.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, in thinking about it, this was basically breaking Mando down and showing that he's willing to do anything for Grogu.
That's my interpretation.
I also think they are getting Mando shifting away from the orthodox tradition. He learned that he is part of a smaller sect and that other traditions exist. It might also be why Pedro stopped throwing fits over screen time.

My 8 year-old has all of my Star Wars and G I Joe stuff from the 80s, and we've slowly been repairing what needed to be repaired, and acquiring things that I didn't have.   He got pissed when he opened up a small box, and it was full of Flag points I never sent off, and he informed me of what I could have received in the mail.
Thankfully, Walmart and Hasboro are re-releasing the 1980s G I Joe figures and vehicles in the stores as we speak, and Hasboro has a retro Star Wars line.

I still have a pencil box full of the dossier file card cutouts and extra flag points! Lol, my 8yo goes through them every so often at grandmas.
  • Like 1

It’s basically a word for word warning that Moff Gideon gave to them in the S1 lead up to the finale standoff.

He’s returning the favor saying Grogu means more to him than Gideon could know.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
Yeah, in thinking about it, this was basically breaking Mando down and showing that he's willing to do anything for Grogu.
That's my interpretation.

I also think they are getting Mando shifting away from the orthodox tradition. He learned that he is part of a smaller sect and that other traditions exist. It might also be why Pedro stopped throwing fits over screen time.

They could also be prepping the New Republic Rangers spinoff, and I could almost see Burr being a regular.

You know, I think many of those rumors about Pedro were just that - rumors.  I was looking through some Easter egg stuff from the past two episodes last night, and catching up on a few things that I didn't see in Clone Wars/Rebels, and so those videos about Pedro/Mandalorian/etc. being troubled and everything falling apart, kept being surfaced in my recommendations list because I was searching on Mandalorian stuff (and I'm subscribed to Doomcock, Star Wars Theory, and a few other Star Wars channels)

Granted, I didn't delve too far into things, but the people making the most noise out of that seemed to either be constantly pushing clickbait and clickbait titles (Grace, etc.), or they loathe Disney and Kennedy and any success that Star Wars is currently having (Doomcock, etc.).

Because this season has been amazing, the writing and editing has been tight, they are advancing character arcs, etc.  Nothing feels like it was disrupted.