The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

Kinda surprised that call back wasn't more obvious to some. Not that I don't like the Rambo comparisons just def didn't get that watching it.

The "you may think you know what you have in your possession...but you do not" line was like a lightning bolt callback to me. Mando doesn't talk like that. Moff badguy def does though. 

Can' wait for Thursday night. 

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They could also be prepping the New Republic Rangers spinoff, and I could almost see Burr being a regular.

You know, I think many of those rumors about Pedro were just that - rumors.  I was looking through some Easter egg stuff from the past two episodes last night, and catching up on a few things that I didn't see in Clone Wars/Rebels, and so those videos about Pedro/Mandalorian/etc. being troubled and everything falling apart, kept being surfaced in my recommendations list because I was searching on Mandalorian stuff (and I'm subscribed to Doomcock, Star Wars Theory, and a few other Star Wars channels)

Granted, I didn't delve too far into things, but the people making the most noise out of that seemed to either be constantly pushing clickbait and clickbait titles (Grace, etc.), or they loathe Disney and Kennedy and any success that Star Wars is currently having (Doomcock, etc.).

Because this season has been amazing, the writing and editing has been tight, they are advancing character arcs, etc.  Nothing feels like it was disrupted.

Doomcock you say?

14 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

It’s basically a word for word warning that Moff Gideon gave to them in the S1 lead up to the finale standoff.

He’s returning the favor saying Grogu means more to him than Gideon could know.

I wish I was a fly in Lucas' head when he was going through ... "what should I call high level Imperial leaders? How about 'Moff'?" Did you just roll off his old lady? #70s

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I wish I was a fly in Lucas' head when he was going through ... "what should I call high level Imperial leaders? How about 'Moff'?" Did you just roll off his old lady? #70s

It's thought that it came from the muslim religious leader title of mufti, especially since Tarkin was originally a religious leader in the senate. He was later changed to a regional governor and the title meaning just went with his character

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

51 minutes ago, Viper said:

It's thought that it came from the muslim religious leader title of mufti, especially since Tarkin was originally a religious leader in the senate. He was later changed to a regional governor and the title meaning just went with his character

44 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He borrowed a lot of names for things from history.

26 minutes ago, Viper said:

yeah Tarkin is thought to be named after King Tarquin the legendary last king of Rome.

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Places too like the Jundland wastes on Tattooine is awfully close to Jutland.

No, I like the way Kyle said it better.

Mando went full MacGruber on this. No reason to let MG know that he’s coming for him. 

I recall this pilot, painted his plane bright red in some war. His superiors didn’t like it, but since the enemy knew who he was, and his impressive list of kills, the bright red color went from being a target to an intimidation factor. His name....was Albert Einstein.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Based on what I've seen from them so far, these are the only two that should be allowed to touch the franchise going forward.

Not really. All of the directors the brought in have done nice work and have demonstrated their capacity to handle the project and even add to it. That last episode was not written by either of the 2F’s. But they do need to get people who are interested in the product and not interested in twisting it into their vision of the project and for their own glory or stupid agenda.

When Boba makes a comment about his face, it was both funny and thoughtful (were clones run off by now?).

31 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Not really. All of the directors the brought in have done nice work and have demonstrated their capacity to handle the project and even add to it. That last episode was not written by either of the 2F’s. But they do need to get people who are interested in the product and not interested in twisting it into their vision of the project and for their own glory or stupid agenda.

When Boba makes a comment about his face, it was both funny and thoughtful (were clones run off by now?).

I meant they call the shots. They don't have to write/direct everything.

I meant they call the shots. They don't have to write/direct everything.

Gotcha. Yeah they have the right guys there now to care for the franchise.

Honestly, if they wanted to say, oops, those last 3 movies didn’t happen, I could go along with that. But I have a better chance of waking up to Selma Hayek cooking breakfast for me.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:46 PM, Drew said:

Sometimes I think people don't actually know what "filler" is when they say stuff like this.

Filoni does NOT do FILLER.

Waiting to see what value the episode spent in a snow hole running from ice spiders while Grogu ate frog lady’s eggs brings to the series. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tom Herman is still the coach.  Fitlump won her Austin City Council election.  It's a bit chilly outside.

But good things can still happen.  I just got the notice that a certain Imperial Troop Transport has shipped and will be here in time for Christmas.  Got it for under $50, scalpers had been fucking with the prices for a while.   It was $70 earlier this month.

I was going to make this a Santa present for my son, but this is too awesome, I want him to know it was from me.  I really wanted it as a kid, but when I was a kid, and that thing was on sale, my parents were not making enough for that kind of stuff, and I was limited to mostly action figures.  By the time they were making more money to where I got bigger/more expensive toys for Christmas/birthdays, it was no longer being sold, and I was moving into G I Joe.

But by God, my son is going to have it.  I'm thinking he'll need to use his Christmas money from his grandparents for filling it up with stormtroopers, since they are pretty fucking pricey ($15 or so a pop).

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nivek said:

They were phased out early in the Empire but I figured the high ranking officers in the complex would still recognize the face.

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Waiting to see what value the episode spent in a snow hole running from ice spiders while Grogu ate frog lady’s eggs brings to the series. 

We talked about this after it aired, but what that episode established was using sub-light travel to move through different parts of the galaxy in order to get to difficult-to-find places.  That could eventually come in useful for finding a couple of dudes who have been missing since the end of Rebels.

Yeah they should have switched roles there. 
could be scheduling, could be they wanted a major role to go to a non-white actor, could be they just liked them better in the roles they cast them in, could be none of the above. Esposito and Werner, not biehn. I like the cameos. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

They were phased out early in the Empire but I figured the high ranking officers in the complex would still recognize the face.

The clones also had their genetic code altered to accelerate they growth and shorten their life span to 50 years. So they would be extremely old by now if not dead.

And yeah they were phased out early in the empire in favor of storm trooper programs

9 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

The clones also had their genetic code altered to accelerate they growth and shorten their life span to 50 years. So they would be extremely old by now if not dead.

And yeah they were phased out early in the empire in favor of storm trooper programs

Obviously not a great decision for marksmanship. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

I guess some would be Boba aged too right?  Plus they were not sterile if I recall correctly.  

12 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Still pissed they killed off Werner Herzog. Made no sense to do so and he was/is far scarier than Giancarlo Esposito.

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

I kind of agree.  Esposito doesn't really seem to have the gravitas that Herzog carried, but there were probably commitment issues.

Like mdmost said, Herzog isn't going to be swinging the Dark Saber.

I really liked Herzog's character - not just the gravitas, but the accent (which contributes to the gravitas) and the mannerisms.  I'm just not sure where they could have fit him into things, once Gideon was revealed as the bad guy.  Herzog would have been best served in some kind of Coruscant underworld series.I hope they keep Gideon around past this season - my limited viewing of Clone Wars/Rebels says that Filoni likes to keep bad guys around and develop them and their underlings.

Lest we forget, we know the overall baddy is probably Admiral Thrawn, and 2F know they have the seasons needed to do what they want.

I would have liked them to keep Biehn's character around as well.  Kind of a "I'll be seeing you around Mando" and he just leaves.

My kid was damn near crying when Kuiil was killed, would have liked he and IG-11 to have lasted and went off adventuring with Mando, but I get that the stakes had to be high and sacrifices made.

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm thinking he'll need to use his Christmas money from his grandparents for filling it up with stormtroopers, since they are pretty fucking pricey ($15 or so a pop).

So for the toy collectors/experts, 5 Imperial stormtroopers (loose, with weapons) for under $20 shipped from China, this is counterfeit as hell, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124464588864

I don't see them on Amazon at those prices (normally around that price for just one figure), they have no packaging, and there's a shit-ton of sellers selling the same amounts for around the same prices.  And no actual reviews that I can find, so I feel fairly confident they are counterfeit.

I am considering it, as long as they aren't crap/loosely-jointed.  My kid will spot a non-LEGO piece a mile away, but I think he'd be fine with these.

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

We talked about this after it aired, but what that episode established was using sub-light travel to move through different parts of the galaxy in order to get to difficult-to-find places.  That could eventually come in useful for finding a couple of dudes who have been missing since the end of Rebels.

Ok, but probably could have inserted that plot point in 5 minutes within another episode instead of burning one of our previous episodes on that nonsense. 

9 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Ok, but probably could have inserted that plot point in 5 minutes within another episode instead of burning one of our previous episodes on that nonsense. 

We talked about that after episode 2, but it was dismissed as bullshit.  See post #1518 on page 31.  40 years ago, sub-light travel was established in The Empire Strikes Back.  The Falcon had to travel from Hoth, to the Noad system, and ultimately to Bespin (with Boba Fett stealthily following) since the hyperdrive was damaged. We've known for the better part of 5 decades that sub-light travel was possible. 

That episode is filler....for now.  Unless Filoni revisits an element in it.  In an 8 episode season, that's a large percentage of the season that was spent on not much happening or advancing any specific plot point.  It picked back up almost immediately in the season's 3rd episode, with the arrival of Bo Katan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

While sublight may become important later on, it looks like the New Republic pilots having a role in the final ep would be a more likely plot point. I've moved from looking for a Seven Samurai episode to a Tombstone "And hell is coming with me" showdown involving the Republic sweeping in to battle the Imperials.

57 minutes ago, Apep said:

While sublight may become important later on, it looks like the New Republic pilots having a role in the final ep would be a more likely plot point. I've moved from looking for a Seven Samurai episode to a Tombstone "And hell is coming with me" showdown involving the Republic sweeping in to battle the Imperials.

The one pilot did tell Cara something about he thought there were odd things happening out there on the Rim.  That would be typical Filoni to drop that nugget, and then bring back a squadron of X-Wings to help Mando based on that one pilot's intuition.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:18 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

So I've been rewatching Rebels, and rewatched the first space whales episode tonight for the first time. I should say first more. Anyhow, the first watch through it felt like just another filler episode, but on the rewatch it's clear that it was also a character development episode. Ezra connects with the space whales and does some new stuff. And of course that connection comes back later on.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:18 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

So I've been rewatching Rebels, and rewatched the first space whales episode tonight for the first time. I should say first more. Anyhow, the first watch through it felt like just another filler episode, but on the rewatch it's clear that it was also a character development episode. Ezra connects with the space whales and does some new stuff. And of course that connection comes back later on.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So the annoying martez sisters are going to reappear....damnit.