The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Watching that episode made me realize something. They really should have made a sequel trilogy after Return of the Jedi. Just think of all the cool shit we could have seen Luke doing. The possibilities would have been endless.

I wonder why they never made those movies? Oh well. 

Unfortunately the movie version of the Timothy Zahn Thrawn trilogy book series was never made.  That's what you are looking for.  An awesome read if you have the time.  In fact, all of Zahn's Star Wars books are incredible.  There are a few prequel stores and even one with the 501st. 

Obviously, Thrawn was in the Rebels series and most recently mentioned by Ahsoka in the Mandalorian episode she appeared in so Filoni obviously recognized a great character.

Just now, mdmost said:

We never saw a sequel trilogy because Lucas was tired. The OT took a lot out of him. He was also going through a divorce at the time (reflected in Mola Ram ripping the heart out of the sacrifices to Kal Lima). Plus, no way was Harrison Ford coming back. He wanted Han Solo to die in Jedi. It's the only reason he returned for The Force Awakens, so he could give Han Solo a hero's death. Well that and money. The Timothy Zahn book trilogy and the Dark Empire comic book series were the best possible sequels for the OT. 

Yeah but follow me here... what if many years later Lucas sold the rights to Star Wars? They could have made the movies then. We could have seen three movies worth of the last 10 minutes of that episode. Guess we'll never know. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah but follow me here... what if many years later Lucas sold the rights to Star Wars? They could have made the movies then. We could have seen three movies worth of the last 10 minutes of that episode. Guess we'll never know. 

They never would've done a sequel trilogy set shortly after Jedi with digital stand-ins for Luke, Leia, and Han nor would they have recast those roles. It also wouldn't have been Filoni and Favreau doing it either. Just be content that they're here now and making things right. 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

They never would've done a sequel trilogy set shortly after Jedi with digital stand-ins for Luke, Leia, and Han nor would they have recast those roles. It also wouldn't have been Filoni and Favreau doing it either. Just be content that they're here now and making things right. 

I would accept an animated trilogy of this, since you are correct about live action casting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Perhaps I'm being too subtle.

I'm pretending the sequel trilogy never happened, because the last 10 minutes of that tv show were 1000x better than the three movies combined, and showed what they could have been if not made by morons. 

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Nivek said:

What was fun also was notice how it was an all chic strike force that went in? It wasn’t some forced in your face event. It did not require Mary Sue characters. It just happened. Which could be interpreted as a kind of a Fuck You to the last trilogy  

I wonder if favreau wanted to do that, and do it that way, after the ham handed way it was done in avengers end game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We never saw a sequel trilogy because Lucas was tired. The OT took a lot out of him. He was also going through a divorce at the time (reflected in Mola Ram ripping the heart out of the sacrifices to Kal Lima). Plus, no way was Harrison Ford coming back. He wanted Han Solo to die in Jedi. It's the only reason he returned for The Force Awakens, so he could give Han Solo a hero's death. Well that and money. The Timothy Zahn book trilogy and the Dark Empire comic book series were the best possible sequels for the OT. 

This.

They had all just spent basically a decade making the OT. I think all parties involved, including Lucas, were ready to move on and do different things. And yeah there's no way Harrison Ford would have come back for 3 more movies in the mid/late 80s.  Outside of the Indiana Jones sequels, he had moved on to totally different kinds of roles, i.e. Witness, Mosquito Coast, Frantic, Working Girl, Presumed Innocent, etc.

Have enjoyed the series.

One question... why did daddy Darth get his own badass personal ship and exclusive Tie-fighter, while an élite Jedi like Luke is cruising around in a 1999 saturn ion...AKA a run of the mill X-wing fighter?

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Have enjoyed the series.

One question... why did daddy Darth get his own badass personal ship and exclusive Tie-fighter, while an élite Jedi like Luke is cruising around in a 1999 saturn ion...AKA a run of the mill X-wing fighter?

The rebels dont have the resources for bougie shit like that.

Normal Tie Fighters don't have hyperdrive capabilities which means they had to be dropped in by a Star Destroyer. Darth Vader's Tie Avenger has a hyperdrive so he can jump where ever he needed to go. Rebel ships all had hyperspace capabilities. Luke didn't need a badass ship to show he was a badass. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

Have enjoyed the series.

Gonna nerd out for a sec...

Not sure I would compare a OT-era X-Wing as a 1999 Saturn. In terms of the OT era, the X-Wing was considered the best multi-purpose fighter/attack craft in the galaxy. Think of it as the F-15 of the 4th gen fighter craft.  

Darth Vader's Tie Advanced was superior to the run-of-the-mill TIE Fighters, but basically even with the basic X-Wing that Luke flew.

The TIE Defender and TIE Interceptors was the Empire's answer to the X-Wing, but it was still considered the superior all-around craft to those ships.

• Hook 'Em 1

Loved how the title “The Rescue” not only refers to Din rescuing Grogu, but subsequently Luke rescuing everyone at the end. Next season has got to be largely about reclaiming Mandalore. It’ll be interesting to see how that plays out with Din not really seeming interested in ruling, plus him effectively breaking his creed by removing his helmet in front of other living beings. Doesn’t seem like he will be accepted by his sect anymore, plus Bo Katan’s group sees her as the rightful heir. Maybe we get more background on Moff Fring too?

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Gonna nerd out for a sec...

Not sure I would compare a OT-era X-Wing as a 1999 Saturn. In terms of the OT era, the X-Wing was considered the best multi-purpose fighter/attack craft in the galaxy. Think of it as the F-15 of the 4th gen fighter craft.  

Darth Vader's Tie Advanced was superior to the run-of-the-mill TIE Fighters, but basically even with the basic X-Wing that Luke flew.

The TIE Defender and TIE Interceptors was the Empire's answer to the X-Wing, but it was still considered the superior all-around craft to those ships.

Anyone ever play that PC game back in the day called Tie Fighter? I remember fucking loving that game 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Ok reading through here I realize I’m not the only 30something dude tearing up during this show. But fuck it was so good. 

Cant wait for next season. Mando is in quite the pickle with that sabre sitch. 

What is stopping him from dropping it on the ground forcing the others to make a choice?

5 minutes ago, Agent 13 said:

What is stopping him from dropping it on the ground forcing the others to make a choice?

Part of Mando's win over Gideon didn't involve death. It was simply jousting/ wrestling it away from him and then Gideon yielded, FWIW.

Why can't Mando just wrestle and lose to give her the blade?

The blade knows your heart?  LOL

How does Mando have a jet pack that literally allows him to fly, but his flamethrower is basically a Zippo lighter?

Are stormtroopers worse than the JROTC as a fighting unit?

How come 20 stormtroopers can’t maintain fine to advance on an ex-bounty hunter without his armor, and and his girlfriend who is already half dead?

why do they use a goddamn Mortar to fire on a target 40 yards away, but don’t have anything like a Panzerfaust or grenade launcher or even a hand grenade ???

39 minutes ago, slorch said:

Part of Mando's win over Gideon didn't involve death. It was simply jousting/ wrestling it away from him and then Gideon yielded, FWIW.

Why can't Mando just wrestle and lose to give her the blade?

The blade knows your heart?  LOL

Was Gideon actually trying to kill Mando or just force him to defeat him so Mando could "win" the darksaber and force a potential rift between Mando and Bo Katan?

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

How does Mando have a jet pack that literally allows him to fly, but his flamethrower is basically a Zippo lighter?

Are stormtroopers worse than the JROTC as a fighting unit?

How come 20 stormtroopers can’t maintain fine to advance on an ex-bounty hunter without his armor, and and his girlfriend who is already half dead?

why do they use a goddamn Mortar to fire on a target 40 yards away, but don’t have anything like a Panzerfaust or grenade launcher or even a hand grenade ???

He burned Stormtroopers to death with his Zippo last season. Dark Troopers aren't human so they don't react to being burned. They also have tougher armor as evidence by Mando blaster fire doing nothing to the shell. 

Stormtroopers have always sucked. The only time Stormtroopers were decent was against old ass farmers and in Rogue One. 

Are the dark trooper droids force sensitive?  They all stopped, turned around, and waited patiently for Luke to mow through them 1-3 at at time when he arrived. Seems like if they stayed focused on their mission (at least the two doing the door punching) they’d have gotten through the blast doors and taken the rebels before luke could get to them. Or maybe disable the elevator. They seemed to run on a 386 processor, especially compared to all the other droids in the SWU. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are the dark trooper droids force sensitive?  They all stopped, turned around, and waited patiently for Luke to mow through them 1-3 at at time when he arrived. Seems like if they stayed focused on their mission (at least the two doing the door punching) they’d have gotten through the blast doors and taken the rebels before luke could get to them. Or maybe disable the elevator. They seemed to run on a 386 processor, especially compared to all the other droids in the SWU. 

I think they were all networked so when the ones on the lower level detected the unknown ship they all paused to assess the situation

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Anyone ever play that PC game back in the day called Tie Fighter? I remember fucking loving that game 

Oh hell yes. Played X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.  X-Wing Alliance is still my all-time favorite Star Wars game.

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

watching episode 8 now.  where the fuck did mando pull the spear from? his ass?  that's a human-length spear, and he didnt look to be carrying it in the episode before he used it to kill the dark trooper

Based on your posts in this thread you seem like a real fun guy to be around....suspend a little disbelief.  Here's a hint, the force, laser swords, and traveling through hyperspace also don't exist.

I will say one thing on the Rian Johnson angle (I have not seen the complaints but I guess they could be there).  F&F ARE dabbling in that space.  They just do it a fuckload better than that knuckledhead did.  The whole table scene with Mayfield last week, the mouthing off about terrorists before Dune took that guy's head off (one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist) etc ALL are bringing dabs of real world grit and realism (these are actually people dying) into the fantasy of Star Wars.  Like most things it's always better when it is subtle rather than "let's beat you over the head with a whole 20 minute side story that heavily delves into war profiteering and the people who enjoy participating in it".  Johnson may have had good intentions but his execution was a monkey fucking a football.  F&F are weaving it in very nicely here and there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Stormtroopers have always sucked. The only time Stormtroopers were decent was against old ass farmers and in Rogue One.

That’s not true at all. Stormtroopers were badass in Star Wars. They wasted all those rebel dudes on Leia’s ship, then annihilated sand people, Jawas, and Luke’s family. And they were at least a credible threat during the Death Star escape.

In Empire, they were again badass, storming the Echo Base on Hoth and occupying the Cloud City.

In RoTJ, they were at least serviceable foes, killing several rebels and Ewoks on Endor. 

Since then, every form of trooper has been lame, pointless, and dispensable. They never pose a really threat to the heroes and create no tension. That’s true of TIE fighter pilots , too. In the OT, they wasted tons of rebel ships. In subsequent films, enemy fighters are just target practice.

Edited by BrickHorn

Ok reading through here I realize I’m not the only 30something dude tearing up during this show. But fuck it was so good. 

Cant wait for next season. Mando is in quite the pickle with that sabre sitch. 

Give the Sabre to someone else. Let her defeat them.

If I caught Gideon, and was going to make him a prisoner, breaking all of his fingers would be part of the deal.

Does he replace his rifle? He still has some of the ammo.

When Gideon talked about the DS and Bo was glaring at Mando my mind couldn’t help but wander to the Monte Python line about watery tarts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

So will we get Sabine in Mando season 2 or in Ahsoka season 1? 

Either way they'd better cast someone super fucking hot. 

I'm hoping in Ahsoka going after Thrawn/Ezra but could see her getting pulled into things by Bo-Katan in season 3. Her and Din are the only people around that properly won the dark saber. 

and yeah..... better be a god damned smoke show

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So when Luke started wrecking shop, we were all basically

spacer.png

I wasn't convinced it was him at first. Then I realized what a chickenshit move it would be to have someone fly up in an X-wing dressed in black with one hand and green lightsaber... and have it turn out to not be Luke. 

37 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I wasn't convinced it was him at first. Then I realized what a chickenshit move it would be to have someone fly up in an X-wing dressed in black with one hand and green lightsaber... and have it turn out to not be Luke. 

I would have been pissed if it was Ezra.

I asked my son if he thought it was the X-Wing cops (I figured that's what he might be thinking when we watched it the first time), but somehow his much younger eyesight was able to pick out R2-D2 in the X-Wing and he said he knew it was Luke when they were showing the X-Wing.