The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He ages slowly though.  He was alive during the Clone Wars and is still a toddler.

Point being that there's a shitload of time between Mando and Kylo. They can have him training with Ahsoka by that point if they want to. 

Edited by NorthLoop

31 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah the Disney Gallery episode on Season 2 is really good. Among other observations, it's easy to see why Robert Rodriguez was given the job for the Book of Boba. 

For all of the shit that 2020 has produced, giving us the Luke we always wanted, and turning Robert Rodriguez loose with a Boba Fett gangster series helps redeem a small part of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

Do you know what kind of car Grogu will drive when he gets older?

A Toyoda...

You mean would have driven if kylo hadn’t killed him before he could grow into a “teenager” right?  Also there’s no cars and no Toyotas in this galaxy, so the joke premise fails on multiple fronts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You mean would have driven if kylo hadn’t killed him before he could grow into a “teenager” right?  Also there’s no cars and no Toyotas in this galaxy, so the joke premise fails on multiple fronts. 

Be honest, you enjoyed the trade dispute plot line in The Phantom Menace didn't you?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

On 12/21/2020 at 1:22 PM, Nivek said:

That was always bullshit and Terminator/Aliens clearly stood as contrary evidence to that stupid opinion.   Yes, the issue was Rey becoming super jedi downloading the force like NEO, but without the learning like Neo did.  Finn's leather jacket being lightsaber proof was pretty amazing as well.   

Well it was Poe's jacket.  Does that make it less remarkable?

The guy with the Forgotten Weapons YouTube channel (he talks about old and obscure weapons) briefly discussed the Mandalorian weapons, or rather the firearms some of them were based on.

Turns out there is a whole site (of course there is) devoted to firearms in Hollywood, and they break down the firearms used in the series.  The Mandalorian props people really like late 1800s and early 1900s firearms (particularly the ones with wooden pieces).

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Mandalorian,_The_-_Season_1

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Mandalorian,_The_-_Season_2

I'm a little surprised - a lot more actual firearms used as models than I would have figured, but it fits that kind of Steampunk aesthetic.

You haven't been checking stuff out on IMFDB? I always check that site out, especially when watching westerns that feature (now) obscure firearms. Most folks back in the day probably didn't carry a Colt 1873 and a Winchester 1873, so I really appreciate it when they throw in the nineteenth century version of a Glock or KelTec.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

Anyone else disappointed they didn’t mention you know what at the end of Gallery S2?

I guess I get it. You can’t really lend anything else to it. It’s personal for all the viewers and the filmmakers etc.

Still. Just have the green saber come out again on screen.

Anyone else disappointed they didn’t mention you know what at the end of Gallery S2?

I guess I get it. You can’t really lend anything else to it. It’s personal for all the viewers and the filmmakers etc.

Still. Just have the green saber come out again on screen.
Yeah, I was waiting the whole episode to see what they would say about it but they never did.

Per Forbes, Season 3 has been pushed back to 2022. My best Star Wars 2021 guess: Bad Batch in the spring, and four Book of Fett episodes before Christmas. I've seen a few things that makes me think they already have much of Book of Fett in the can already. 

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/12/22/the-mandalorian-season-3-is-delayed-dave-filoni-confirmed-to-be-writing-ahsoka/?sh=7637c259438e

From a Youtube video I watched, there's speculation that several of these TV shows (Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and Rangers of the New Republic) may all take place in universe that the sequels never did or will occur. Instead they will follow the Thrawn storyline since he was mentioned this season. Ultimately all of the stories will weave together like the MCU with some Avengers-like conclusions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Per Forbes, Season 3 has been pushed back to 2022. My best Star Wars 2021 guess: Bad Batch in the spring, and four Book of Fett episodes before Christmas. I've seen a few things that makes me think they already have much of Book of Fett in the can already. 

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/12/22/the-mandalorian-season-3-is-delayed-dave-filoni-confirmed-to-be-writing-ahsoka/?sh=7637c259438e

That doesn’t look like any new info (from 12/22), and it seems to still indicate a Christmas drop for S3.  The way that article is written irritates me

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From a Youtube video I watched, there's speculation that several of these TV shows (Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and Rangers of the New Republic) may all take place in universe that the sequels never did or will occur. Instead they will follow the Thrawn storyline since he was mentioned this season. Ultimately all of the stories will weave together like the MCU with some Avengers-like conclusions.

I think this will happen eventually. The Forbes article speculates something will occur in Book of Fett that leads into Season 3 of Mando. 

I am slightly disappointed that we won't have Season 3 in late fall 2021. Texas' football season is usually over by then, so it's nice to have something else to watch. 

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The sequels are 25 years down the line from the current Mando universe. Filoni is not retconning away the sequels because he's never going to get to that timeframe and his show is mostly set outside of the core system of Star Wars. The timeline for this show will never conflict with the sequels given the massive gap in time. If anything, this show will show how the First Order came into being since the speculation was it was remanent Imperials which the Mando universe shows are still out there. The upside is Filoni has license to massively clean up the shitfest that JJ created with the First Order. One of the dumbest aspects of The Force Awakens was just accepting that there was an Empire 2.0 and no one tried to stop it until it was too late. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thrawn was in Rebels in THIS universe.  They aren't going to do the "Thrawn Universe", and by that I'm guessing they mean the Non Cannon Thrawn Heir to the Empire stuff, because that's not the direction they've taken Thrawn in cannon.

I know people hate the sequels, but they're not going away.  

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

The sequels are 25 years down the line from the current Mando universe. Filoni is not retconning away the sequels because he's never going to get to that timeframe and his show is mostly set outside of the core system of Star Wars. The timeline for this show will never conflict with the sequels given the massive gap in time. If anything, this show will show how the First Order came into being since the speculation was it was remanent Imperials which the Mando universe shows are still out there. The upside is Filoni has license to massively clean up the shitfest that JJ created with the First Order. One of the dumbest aspects of The Force Awakens was just accepting that there was an Empire 2.0 and no one tried to stop it until it was too late. 

All of this.  The Sequels will not factor into these current shows other than in passing or, like said above, explaining how they came to power in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think this will happen eventually. The Forbes article speculates something will occur in Book of Fett that leads into Season 3 of Mando. 

I didn't read the article, but like you, I've seen things to indicate Boba Fett has been filming already, and I've heard there's some pre-production of New Rangers of the Republic.  Obi-Wan is in pre-production, and I think Ewan said they start in February or March, and that impacts things (production assets/infrastructure, not timeline/storyline).

From what I've read on a few of the SW fan sites and a few other places with Big Cigar sources or whatever, Boba and New Rangers of the Republic are going to tie in together.  I'm hoping that means more Cobb Vance/Oliphant.  It makes a ton of sense, because Tatooine and Boba moving in to take over Jabba's operations seems like a prime place for the criminal elements to clash with the New Republic, given the importance he had during the Clone Wars.

There's speculation that Ahsoka and Mando tie into each other as well, which also makes some sense, thanks to Sabine.  I saw something that said S3 of Mando will be 12 episodes, and that the Mandolore stuff is going to get kind of Game of Thronesy - like move from the fairly intimate/involved previous two seasons, into full-blown Mandalore world-building.

It's cool to get all of this, but sucks that Mando will take longer, but then again, over the next three months, they will have 2-4 live-action Star Wars series filming, or in pre- or post-production, plus the movie(s) going into pre-production.  

I'm actually glad they are spreading some things out.   I'd rather they take their time, and not get into a situation where something suffers (like VFX).

Edited by atomheartbevo

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

I do not disagree but trying to nail down the "dumbest aspects of The Force Awakens" is a Sisyphean task.

• Hook 'Em 2

So, regarding the darksaber, according to season 3 episode 15 of Rebels,

"I didn't know Mandalorians developed a type of lightsaber."
"We didn't, this was one of a kind. Legend tells that it was created over a thousand years ago by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order. After his passing, the Jedi kept the saber in their temple. That was until members of House Vizsla snuck in and liberated it. They used the saber to unify the people and strike down those who would oppose them. At one time, they ruled all of Mandalore wielding this blade. This saber is an important symbol to that house and respected by the other clans"

That seems like something that may come up. The history of the darksaber doesn't  necessarily suggest that one has to win it in combat to rule the Mandalorians.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:46 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It's cool to get all of this, but sucks that Mando will take longer, but then again, over the next three months, they will have 2-4 live-action Star Wars series filming, or in pre- or post-production, plus the movie(s) going into pre-production.  

if mad men/breaking bad/game of thrones/etc taught us anything, it's that good shows take time.  they're basically filming mini-movies for every episode (x8-10 episodes).  get used to short seasons and long breaks.  otherwise, you can go watch ncis or grey's anatomy.

broadcast network template with 22 episodes per season and a 3 month summer break is going the way of the dinosaurs, and we're better for it.

disney knows what they're doing, and they'll keep us busy until s3.  trust the mouse (and favreau/filoni).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2