The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

If they go full-on Mandalore stuff like the ending of S2 basically hinted at by shoving the Dark Saber in our face, that's going to be a lot of world-building/VFX/etc. so it's going to take a while.

I saw a theory that said they deliberately made sure Moff Gideon was knocked out and on the floor behind the center map console thing, so that he and Luke would not see each other in person.  Was an interesting theory, but could lead to a lot of stuff, especially since

Spoiler

Gideon is coming back.

22 hours ago, jeevsie said:

What a shitty article. 

"Here's what we know about the cast for season 3" 

"we don't know anything about the cast for season 3" 

• Hook 'Em 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, mdmost said:

Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka are the two Filoni Favreau series. Christmas 2021

Well it seems only Ahsoka, Mando season 3, and Book of Boba Fett will be going forward. Lucasfilm said Rangers of the New Republic is no longer in active production. I mean, that's not a horrible idea. Of the 3, it was always going to be the weakest, especially if Carano was the lead. The only thing that might've made it good was Bill Burr. 

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well it seems only Ahsoka, Mando season 3, and Book of Boba Fett will be going forward. Lucasfilm said Rangers of the New Republic is no longer in active production. I mean, that's not a horrible idea. Of the 3, it was always going to be the weakest, especially if Carano was the lead. The only thing that might've made it good was Bill Burr. 

There's a pretty strong rumor that Rangers was always the weakest (like you said) and they were struggling with it, because it overlapped a bit with Boba Fett, and they couldn't make some key decisions (not just Carano, but stuff like the X-Wing police guys, Burr, etc.).

Anyways, the rumors are they are happy with what Robert Rodriguez has been doing, and that Rangers was most likely folded into Boba Fett, complete with Timothy Oliphant making recent media appearances (for another show), but with the same hair/facial hair styles as his Mando character.

Well, that last part is not a rumor - this is his recent appearance on Conan

psaskxkat3071.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2021 at 10:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If they go full-on Mandalore stuff like the ending of S2 basically hinted at by shoving the Dark Saber in our face, that's going to be a lot of world-building/VFX/etc. so it's going to take a while.

I saw a theory that said they deliberately made sure Moff Gideon was knocked out and on the floor behind the center map console thing, so that he and Luke would not see each other in person.  Was an interesting theory, but could lead to a lot of stuff, especially since

Reveal hidden contents

Gideon is coming back.

Moff Gideon, after Luke is done with him.

https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_5368744658cdf72128e206f9c5fef89d.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 4/19/2021 at 6:31 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Clone Wars is as much if not more about Ahsoka than Aniken. There's also a ton of really great arcs about stuff like Darth Maul and Mandolore.

The 501st arc was so damn good. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

aroused beck bennett GIF by The Orchard Films

Only twice? All you Surly SW fans need to watch it now.

Peyton Reed: “I instantly went from being thrilled to feeling the responsibility of this character.”

”I think [Hamill’s] very protective of his character, and rightly so.”

Rekindles the rage at how Disney/Lucasfilm mishandled squeals. Maybe they weren’t ready in 2012 or whenever for a project of that magnitude, but Filoni and Favs, given EP creative control over three films, would’ve given us something phenomenal. Of that I have zero doubt.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

Clone Wars lasted longer than it probably should have, but it had a beginning and an end. Rebels very much had a story it wanted to tell and then stop, even though they could have milked it. Based a little on what we see with the MCU also, I think we should expect series to be short, with planned starts and stops, and see characters roll from one series to another 

I know it was referenced above, but if anyone hadn't had a chance to watch yet, the "Making Of" about the last episode of Mando Season 2 with all of the Luke stuff is up on D+ and it's outstanding.

Some pretty cool tidbits about how they worked so hard to keep the Luke thing secret. The above referenced Plo Koon thing was interesting. I guess in every draft of the script, everything Luke did and said was referenced as "Plo Kloon."

And I guess they shot the Luke stuff in the "Volume" at the same time that like 75% of the cast and crew were away on location shooting the Robert Rodriguez episode.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Mandalorian > Bo Katan

This is exactly what's going to happen.  And Mandalorian has already spun off two shows with Ahsoka and Boba, and third with the Rangers (and maybe another).

Shit, Mandalorian damned near saved Star Wars for Disney going forward - Disney had been cancelling a lot of Star Wars stuff that looked shitty, then Mandalorian blows things open, and now we have like 8 series in production.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-rangers-of-the-new-republic-on-hold-mandalorian

Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic is seemingly on hold, with comments from LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy suggesting that ideas for the spin-off may be 'absorbed' entirely into The Mandalorian. 

Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic was announced just under a year ago, with many fans believing at the time that it would likely star The Mandalorian's Cara Dune, played by Gina Carano. However, recent comments made by Kennedy in an interview with Empire Magazine (as shown in a clipout on Imgur) seemingly suggest that, at present, the show isn't moving forward in its production schedule.

"We'd never written any scripts or anything on that," says Kennedy in the interview before further stating that, "some of that will figure into future episodes, I'm sure, of the next iteration of Mandalorian." While Kennedy's comments seem to show a bleak future for Rangers of the New Republic, it's important to note that there has not yet been any official confirmation from Disney stating that the show has been canceled. 

That being said, for many Star Wars fans, Kennedy's comments may not come as much of a surprise. Alongside the fact that both Disney and LucasFilm have been relatively quiet about the show since announcing it last year, a previous article published by Variety in May reported that the show wasn't in active development.

I'm not surprised.  This was probably the least developed out of the spinoff shows (Ahsoka and Boba and one other were taking up most of their time), and that was before the dustup with Carano.  There are also a lot of rumors about them doing a spinoff series with Timothy Oliphant, either in the Rangers show, or something else, because he turned out to be a fan favorite.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

It was going to be the least interesting of the new shows they were developing. I’d rather have Filoni and Jon devote their time to Ahsoka and Mando 3

I was really interested at the idea of Oliphant being involved.  Kind of an Anson Mount/Star Trek situation where they bring somebody in and he just really gels with everybody.  

I would have liked to see a Cara Dune spinoff, but in thinking about it quite a bit more while watching Mandalorian again with my kid, - I'd have preferred it be about her past.  If it was going to be contemporary to The Manadalorian, the idea of Oliphant's good-guy character trying to bring law-and-order to a singular wild planet had more of an appeal than Cara Dune flying around to various planets-of-the-week and playing Lone Ranger or A-Team or whatever, because Tatooine could have been fleshed out a lot more.

Plus, we also might have something cool where he's acting to help the frontier settlements settle down and take control of their own destiny at the same time Boba is organizing the crime lords.  There'd be this whole cloud hanging over both shows of "are they going to butt heads or work in parallel or work together?"

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was really interested at the idea of Oliphant being involved.  Kind of an Anson Mount/Star Trek situation where they bring somebody in and he just really gels with everybody.  

I would have liked to see a Cara Dune spinoff, but in thinking about it quite a bit more while watching Mandalorian again with my kid, - I'd have preferred it be about her past.  If it was going to be contemporary to The Manadalorian, the idea of Oliphant's good-guy character trying to bring law-and-order to a singular wild planet had more of an appeal than Cara Dune flying around to various planets-of-the-week and playing Lone Ranger or A-Team or whatever, because Tatooine could have been fleshed out a lot more.

Plus, we also might have something cool where he's acting to help the frontier settlements settle down and take control of their own destiny at the same time Boba is organizing the crime lords.  There'd be this whole cloud hanging over both shows of "are they going to butt heads or work in parallel or work together?"

Cara is more like The D Team - IYKWIM

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Lol Star Wars treats entire planets like it’s one biome. Oh a water planet? Well that’s all their is. Snow planet, sand planet, jungle planet.

Not just Star Wars, pretty much all of Scifi.

It's really just the scope of travel in the genre.

In fantasy, the world has many lands and each land has its own biome. But in Scifi they just have whole planets of a single biome.

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Started googling and came across the the TV Tropes website. They have an amusing take on the topic:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SingleBiomePlanet

Ha

• Vancouver Planets — Planets noted for a striking similarity to the pine-covered, mountainous oceanfront regions around the Canadian city of Vancouver (which, by an odd coincidence, is the filming location of many sci-fi television series).