The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I got the G.I. Joe series/movies for my 7-year-old, and we've been slowly working through them, and as batshit as some of those are, some of the Star Wars stuff rivals them, particularly the last 3 movies.

Movies? as in the live action ones or was there something else?

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Movies? as in the live action ones or was there something else?

Some of the cartoons were cut together as movies, or were movies cut up into week-long arcs or whatever.  Don't remember the particularly details, but this is the series we ordered.

Now the original animated adventures of Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Flint, Lady Jaye and the rest of the team are featured on this 16-disc complete series set of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, including all 95 episodes and in-depth bonus features celebrating G.I. Joe’s rich history!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m down with Boba coming back. He was armored up and I’ve heard he escaped in the comics. He had a jet pack and a grappling hook, I could see it.

Hell Darth Maul survived being chopped in half and that turned out awesome.

And if it takes a thousand years to be digested, it’s not like he would have died immediately. 

https://www.starwars.com/news/new-casting-announced-for-cassian-andor-live-action-series

"The actor who portrayed Mon Mothma in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is among four new cast members just announced for the live-action Cassian Andor seriescoming to Disney+.

Star Diego Luna will be joined by Genevieve O’Reilly, who will reprise her role as Mon Mothma (Rogue One, Tin Can), as well as newly-announced co-stars Stellan Skarsgard (Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, Good Will Hunting), Denise Gough (Collett, Angels in America) and Kyle Soller (Anna Karenina, The Titan).

Tony Gilroy, who co-wrote Rogue One, will write, direct and serve as showrunner for the series, which takes place five years before the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Additional writers on the series include Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler), Beau Willimon (House of Cards), and Stephen Schiff (The Americans).

Solid cast, damn solid crew for a spy thriller.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.starwars.com/news/new-casting-announced-for-cassian-andor-live-action-series

"The actor who portrayed Mon Mothma in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is among four new cast members just announced for the live-action Cassian Andor seriescoming to Disney+.

Star Diego Luna will be joined by Genevieve O’Reilly, who will reprise her role as Mon Mothma (Rogue One, Tin Can), as well as newly-announced co-stars Stellan Skarsgard (Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, Good Will Hunting), Denise Gough (Collett, Angels in America) and Kyle Soller (Anna Karenina, The Titan).

Tony Gilroy, who co-wrote Rogue One, will write, direct and serve as showrunner for the series, which takes place five years before the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Additional writers on the series include Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler), Beau Willimon (House of Cards), and Stephen Schiff (The Americans).

spacer.png

So...is RD going to pop up in this one too as Ahsoka?  I don't remember the details exactly, but she was Fulcrum in season 2, which would be around when this is set.  And that was the kickoff to the Rebellion.  

18 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

That’s the only argument I’m accepting and praying for

I'd say the biggest argument for Boba Fett in S2 working:

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

I was pumped for this before, but SUPER pumped now.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I was pumped for this before, but SUPER pumped now.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Yeah all that gives me major hope.

It’s almost like a part of SW is controlled by people who are hiring other people that leave you going “why the fuck would you have them do that particular Star Wars film or TV series”.  And it’s not inspired hiring, when the end product performs way below expectations.

And then there’s another part who says “okay, we are making a series around a ruthless spy character from Rogue One, so let’s get some folks in to run/write things, who have worked on top notch thrillers and spy/political shows, and let’s make sure the show runner is one of the Rogue One head honchos/writer.”  

I wonder if Kevin Feige is involved in some way.  He had a helluva knack for picking just the right people for the MCU movies.  Or maybe it’s Filoni and Favreau.  Mandalorian was well cast and well crewed, and after a rewatch, there’s not really anything that glaringly needs to be cut or reworked.  Even the slow parts had a point.

Mandalorian was well cast and well crewed, and after a rewatch, there’s not really anything that glaringly needs to be cut or reworked.  Even the slow parts had a point.

But imagine if we could add a live kryat dragon and then change it so the Jawa shot first and also turn Greef’s cantina band into a full 15 piece band with a live Twi’lek singer!

Boom proves you wrong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

But imagine if we could add a live kryat dragon and then change it so the Jawa shot first and also turn Greef’s cantina band into a full 15 piece band with a live Twi’lek singer!

Boom proves you wrong

And what if planet that Nick Ugnolte's character had retired to, was as heavily populated as Coruscant?

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So at the rate things are going, by the time Mandalorian is finished, we will have basically gotten the live-action equivalent of Clone Wars and Rebels.

Yeah looking that way.  Get me a super hot Sabine please.

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Except Clone Wars and Rebels don't really have that western vibe.

Eh...I could see Rebel's as a bit of a western, especially early on.  But not quite as much as Mandalorian obviously.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'll allow it.

Same

93c57f698246dd409bfbbb0d7e46b9da.jpg

Might just be easier to tell who WON’T be appearing in season 2.

I have a feeling every single Rebels and CW character that’s still alive after Return of the Jedi will be making an appearance.

I have major faith in Filoni, of course...but this is getting a bit out of hand. Lots of characters to juggle and most will only be seen in cameos or 1-2 episode arcs.

Maybe when we see Sabine Wren cast we’ll basically just be seeing a backdoor pilot for a Rebels Spin off.

31 minutes ago, Drew said:

Maybe when we see Sabine Wren cast we’ll basically just be seeing a backdoor pilot for a Rebels Spin off.

After watching the making of the Mandalorian, and how they can handle the special effects in a cheaper, yet better looking manner, I think that’s where we are headed.     They have 4 Marvel shows planned, and with Mandalorian and Obi-Wan, it makes sense they want another live-action spin-off with a built in audience.  

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe the live action one will include the sabine/Hera scissoring scene that was left out of the cartoon for some reason. Sorry if spoiler. 

Timeline would work to throw in CGI metal bikini Leia I think. 

• Like 3

I read or saw that Ahsoka and others were only going to be in one episode. I think Filoni and writers are experienced enough to throw us just enough of a bone to give us boners but to not make Mandalorian a full Rebel and Clone Wars spin off. 

I want the Ahsoka and Sabine dedicated series searching for Ezra in unknown regions of space. I want them to keep that series in animation. They can do so much more in animation.

Edited by crash_davis

I read or saw that Ahsoka and others were only going to be in one episode. I think Filoni and writers are experienced enough to throw us just enough of a bone to give us boners but to not make Mandalorian a full Rebel and Clone Wars spin off. 
I want the Ahsoka and Sabine dedicated series searching for Ezra in unknown regions of space. I want them to keep that series in animation. They can do so much more in animation.

Especially since both are wandering around the way outer rim. Could be cool to see them hire team mando to covertly pull information regarding the rumored Chimera star destroyer ghost ship seen in some random sector.

Ok I gotta stop.... cause now I’m picturing a Thrawn cameo

Well based on the way Rebels ended, I would be shocked if we didn't get a Thrawn portrayal if we're getting Ezra.
Probably some type of end of season cliff hanger.

For all the credit Filioni and Favreau get the smartest thing they did in Rebels was to bring in Thrawn - a creation of Timothy Zahn.
  • Like 1

For all the credit Filioni and Favreau get the smartest thing they did in Rebels was to bring in Thrawn - a creation of Timothy Zahn.

Zahn was a genius with how he creates him as well. Even explaining his alien species acceptance by the emperor etc.

Also 1b Filoni credit is casting Lars Mikkelsen as Thrawns voice. Perfect
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

I think I would go all @Jersey Man10 and come in my pants if they brought Timothy Zahn on for The Mandolorian. His Thrawn trilogy was probably the best part of the old extended universe.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think I would go all @Jersey Man10 and come in my pants if they brought Timothy Zahn on for The Mandolorian. His Thrawn trilogy was probably the best part of the old extended universe.

I would have saved a few hundred bucks, a few brain cells, and a lot of time if I had stopped reading EU books after the Thrawn trilogY.  Very little came close to those books.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I would have saved a few hundred bucks, a few brain cells, and a lot of time if I had stopped reading EU books after the Thrawn trilogY.  Very little came close to those books.

Keven J Anderson's trilogy that came out at roughly the same time as the Thrawn trilogy was pretty good.  I thought I remembered most of the Tales from __ being pretty good.  Shadows of the empire, courtship of princess leia, quite a few of the X-wing books.  But yeah, when you release that many, and when you start trying to churn them out at the rate that they did, you're going to have quite a few that aren't worth reading.  

41 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Keven J Anderson's trilogy that came out at roughly the same time as the Thrawn trilogy was pretty good.  I thought I remembered most of the Tales from __ being pretty good.  Shadows of the empire, courtship of princess leia, quite a few of the X-wing books.  But yeah, when you release that many, and when you start trying to churn them out at the rate that they did, you're going to have quite a few that aren't worth reading.  

True, the Anderson trilogy was pretty good, as were the Tales and Shadows of the Empire, although Shadows of the Empire was a unique endeavor on their part.   But a lot of the rest started getting into Star Trek territory.

I think the EU would have been a lot better if they had put a ban on using main characters from the films, because it was just way too much Skywalker/Solo stuff.  More of the Wedge/X-Wing groups, etc., and less on ways that Skywalker/Solo kids were fucking up the galaxy.

So I finally got around to watching this last night.  Binged all 8 episodes. 

I liked but didnt love it.  However its the best Star Wars stuff, other than maybe Rogue One, since the original trilogy.

Head scratcher how Favreau and Filoni came up with a great idea and good execution when Johnson and Abrams with what had to be much, much larger budgets screwed the pooch so badly with their trilogy.

The 19 book series about the invasion of the Galaxy was a good attempt (new characters taking on a new problem), but they approached it the same way they did the movies - new author on every book, and a few of the authors would rotate back through.  I liked the larger arc, but the with the author changing every book, it felt like all the characters had multiple personality disorder.  They should have stuck to the author-trilogy format and just had the story play out over multiple trilogies.  Or they should have just gotten Zahn and Anderson to write them all.  

Edited by UT_OB1

38 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

I loved Shadows of the Empire. Won't happen but I'd love to see an animated film version of that.

Some of it is actually canon.  Maybe most of it, since that was driven by LucasFilm as a full movie promotion, without the movie - toys, video games, books, comics, etc.

I kinda feel like it would need to be animated as well, and could be a cool one-off season (have the Clone Wars/Rebels animators do it).  I would not want to see a live-action version.  Rogue One and Mandalorian are what Star Wars should be from here on out as far as live-action - you can have some ties to the films, but expand things and make other characters the center.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some of it is actually canon.  Maybe most of it, since that was driven by LucasFilm as a full movie promotion, without the movie - toys, video games, books, comics, etc.

I kinda feel like it would need to be animated as well, and could be a cool one-off season (have the Clone Wars/Rebels animators do it).  I would not want to see a live-action version.  Rogue One and Mandalorian are what Star Wars should be from here on out as far as live-action - you can have some ties to the films, but expand things and make other characters the center.

Negative.

All of the old EU stuff, even the stuff that was previously considered canon (LucasFilm video games, books, etc.) were dumped from canon when Disney bought LucasFilm.  That stuff is now called "Star Wars: Legends" but is not considered part of official canon.

The official canon (as of now) are the 9 saga films, Rogue One and Solo; plus the various animated and live-action series (Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance, The Manadlorian), and any post-Disney purchase video games/comics/books/etc. (I don't know all of those off the top of my head).

Edited by oSuJeff97

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Negative.

All of the old EU stuff, even the stuff that was previously considered canon (LucasFilm video games, books, etc.) were dumped from canon when Disney bought LucasFilm.  That stuff is now called "Star Wars: Legends" but is not considered part of official canon.

The official canon (as of now) are the 9 saga films, Rogue One and Solo; plus the various animated and live-action series (Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance, The Manadlorian), and any post-Disney purchase video games/comics/books/etc. (I don't know all of those off the top of my head).

Weren’t some of the Shadows characters and settings brought into one of the animated series and official novels?

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Negative.

that's correct, but they have also shown to take "legends" material and make it canon by introducing them in various ways such as Thrawn in Rebels and Revan in Rise of Skywalker. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Legends material end up in The Mandalorian. 

According to this, Sabine confirmed in Mandolorian, and Ashoka spin-off confirmed that will have Sabine, Hera, Chopper, and Zeb

Some WWE wrestler named Sasha Banks cast for Mando S2 that is suspected to be Sabine  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fandomwire.com/ahsoka-tano-live-action-disney-plus-star-wars-series/amp/

Edited by UT_OB1

I was sure I saw the Outrider in rise of skywalker but it turns out it might not have been. It was supposedly the ship that was added in a new hope leaving mos Eisley and a similar cargo ship was used in Rebels not piloted by Dash Rendar...

The behind the scenes stuff says they did include a lot of ships from all the canon stuff, Rebels, CW, Resistence, all the previous movies but then they started creating others in the theme of Star Wars...

Which included this ship:
7713ced06d0462c77bc426faec4b9799.jpg