The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

The 8 year old me who left the theater after seeing Luke in Jedi and wanting more was on cloud 9 seeing the continuation of his character that we never got. Filoni and Favreau are to be commended for showing everyone how you create a truly great Star Wars tale. 

And those bastards snowed everyone. A fucking Boba Fett series is coming. Amazing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

My only gripe, should have at least tried to deactivate the dark troopers with the controls in the bridge command room. Otherwise, amazing episode.

I got a little miffed at all the times the ladies would use hand to hand on a trooper and then shoot them once they were on the ground. Rather than just shooting them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmbmd said:

In June of 1977, I took a certain college girl out to dinner, and then to see "A New Hope" for our first date.  We hit it off pretty well.  Tonight, we watched the season finale together.  We laughed, we cried, we anticipated, and we exalted.  The arc of Star Wars has been the arc of our life together, and we were pleased to see such a strong story line. Apparently, the force has been with us. 

So you guys had a shitty 20 years?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

If you saw A New Hope in the theater and didn’t sports cry tonight, I’m not sure how you managed that.  I was losing it already, but when Luke said, “May the force be with you,” I was a blubbering 6 year old all over again. 

I was born in '76, so I didn't see it in the theater, but yeah... that episode brought all the feels. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you saw A New Hope in the theater and didn’t sports cry tonight, I’m not sure how you managed that.  I was losing it already, but when Luke said, “May the force be with you,” I was a blubbering 6 year old all over again. 
Born in '85 but grew up watching the VHS tapes and it immediately consumed my life. My heart rate went up and I got butterflies when the x-wing showed up. Then I got even more excited when I saw that green saber, but when they showed the black glove on the right hand, my eyes started to tear up. Full on happy tears the rest of the episode after that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Viper said:

My god that was amazing. One question, did not katan just die? I don't remember seeing her get up after gideon unloaded on her

That's what I thought at first, but in the final scene when they showed the whole crew together she was standing there. I'm a little confused, because there was a Mandalorian chick who definitely looked like she was shot to death by Gideon. Reading through this thread though, folks are mentioning a third Mandalorian chick who wasn't part of the fight in taking the ship and bridge.

I dunno, man. Maybe someone with keener eyes will weigh in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That's what I thought at first, but in the final scene when they showed the whole crew together she was standing there. I'm a little confused, because there was a Mandalorian chick who definitely looked like she was shot to death by Gideon. Reading through this thread though, folks are mentioning a third Mandalorian chick who wasn't part of the fight in taking the ship and bridge.

I dunno, man. Maybe someone with keener eyes will weigh in.

She fell into a bacta tank. 

• Hook 'Em 2

As someone more or less ambivalent to the entire Star Wars cannon, this Mandalorian series has been good, clean fun we watch as a family and enjoy. My son cares and knows more about all the nerd stuff about it with Clone Wars and Rebels and such, but for the rest of us, it's really cool because you don't have to know that much and can enjoy it-- even my wife enjoyed this season.

That said because I'm not as emotionally invested in the whole meal, the one thing I was disappointed in was how weak the Big Boss/Final Boss was in Moff Gideon and how short (and light) the final battle was. The battle with the crouching tiger hidden beskar spear lady was way better imo. I don't know, I just thought that Moff Gideon was going to be a beast after the first season and the build up this season and it was a tepid end.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was able to watch this episode with my 8 year-old son, and it's going to be one of those memories we treasure - when the X-Wing pulled in, I think he thought it might be the X-Wing cops that seemed to pop up randomly, but it was clicking in my head that it was only one X-Wing, and I had been waiting on the Jedi that Grogu called out to.

My kid started shaking and just bouncing up and down on the couch next to me when the green lightsaber came out and he realized who it was.

spacer.png

This. This right here.

As someone more or less ambivalent to the entire Star Wars cannon, this Mandalorian series has been good, clean fun we watch as a family and enjoy. My son cares and knows more about all the nerd stuff about it with Clone Wars and Rebels and such, but for the rest of us, it's really cool because you don't have to know that much and can enjoy it-- even my wife enjoyed this season.
That said because I'm not as emotionally invested in the whole meal, the one thing I was disappointed in was how weak the Big Boss/Final Boss was in Moff Gideon and how short (and light) the final battle was. The battle with the crouching tiger hidden beskar spear lady was way better imo. I don't know, I just thought that Moff Gideon was going to be a beast after the first season and the build up this season and it was a tepid end.

I’ll say Filoni has a way of doing this.

He’s a fan of Lucas belief in always a bigger fish in the sea. Lucas was very literal at times and always a bit obvious.

Filoni has taken that and made them better devices. He ended awhat was becoming a badass duel between an season 1’s antagonist Vader’s top inquisitor end with the inquisitor saying there are worse things than death and ending the duel... only to introduce Vader as season 2s main antagonist. We get a huge fight that we don’t see the end of to remove Vader and set up Thrawn and his 7th fleet for the last 2 seasons.

Damn near a trillion dollars have been spent on Star Wars movies since Jedi and what the fat guy from Swingers did more in the last 10 minutes of Mandalorian was  better than any of that.

I'm not a Star Wars nerd like some but I loved the original movies.  The ending was completely fucking bad ass.  I purposefully didn't know the ending but when I saw it playing out, I gasped.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Watched with my 12 year old son last night. We both completely geeked out when the swing showed up. Lightsaber came out and my boy said, “it’s Luke.” Then, “gloved hand!” And punched me in the shoulder. After that we were both bouncing on the sofa through the whole hallway scene. Absolutely awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That was awesome.  Getting to see a fully operational prime Luke wreck shop has been a long time coming.  

Star Wars fans are not actually that hard to please.   The problem is finding someone to develop additional content who isn’t so far up his own ass that he thinks he needs to reinvent it or add his own artistic take.  Just do the obvious thing and give us more of what we already like, and keep the same tone of the OT (which is basically the standard tone for all family friendly action adventure movies pre 2000).

Seriously, the mainstream audience’s fandom is based on 3 movies from 40 years ago.  That’s precious little content.  Just give us more content which follows that playbook.  We’re not tired of it or wanting to reimagine the whole concept of Star Wars.   The three things that have scored big with your fans since the early 80s are (1) seeing Vader slice people up more than we got to see in the OT, (2) seeing Luke as a more powerful Force user than we got to see in the OT, and (3) seeing a cute baby that looks like Yoda.  

Keep unapologetically going back to the well.  It will work on adults for the nostalgia, and it will work on kids because it’s what kids like.  You have years and years of this before it will get old.  Do not reinvent the wheel with some guy’s art house take on Star Wars or what it should be.  Thankfully, Favreau and Filoni seem to be great stewards.  

I would also add: Boba Fett kicking ass and zooming all over the place in Slave 1. I felt like I was playing with Star Wars toys in my room again. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Seems like Book of Boba Fett will be Mando season 3, no? Rather than a separate series? I'm sure we'll resume Din's adventures again at some point, but with Grogu gone another direction could be interesting.

Either way, sucks to wait til next December.

No they're different. We're getting 2 shows next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, RexWilson said:

My only gripe, should have at least tried to deactivate the dark troopers with the controls in the bridge command room. Otherwise, amazing episode.

Conversely, if Gideon was a tactical genius and knew all his men on the bridge were dead, why not auto-open some windows up there and suck Mando’s friends out into space like he did the dark troopers? Maybe he’s a better fried chicken/drug seller. 

I appreciate the near consensus approval of the episode and appearance of Luke. Yesterday I was so pumped I started hitting the googles and there is a lot of negativity coming from the “critics” and the Rian Johnson apologists, that Filoni and Favreau just undid everything they built in Mandalorian by giving in to fanboys and inserting OT content, first with Boba Fett but then hitting it with a jackhammer with Luke and R2D2. Why is it wrong for people to want more story around their heroes and the series’ best characters? It doesn’t have to be bad or lazy. And guess what, your (Rian and KK’s) attempts to deemphasize the Skywalker sucked ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Conversely, if Gideon was a tactical genius and knew all his men on the bridge were dead, why not auto-open some windows up there and suck Mando’s friends out into space like he did the dark troopers? Maybe he’s a better fried chicken/drug seller. 

Who the hell wants that option on the bridge? It makes sense to have it for the experimental murder droids.
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I appreciate the near consensus approval of the episode and appearance of Luke. Yesterday I was so pumped I started hitting the googles and there is a lot of negativity coming from the “critics” and the Rian Johnson apologists, that Filoni and Favreau just undid everything they built in Mandalorian by giving in to fanboys and inserting OT content, first with Boba Fett but then hitting it with a jackhammer with Luke and R2D2. Why is it wrong for people to want more story around their heroes and the series’ best characters? It doesn’t have to be bad or lazy. And guess what, your (Rian and KK’s) attempts to deemphasize the Skywalker sucked ass. 

Really? I perused some recaps and reviews after the show last night and it seemed universally positive. Maybe I missed 1 or 2, but pretty much everything I read was raving about the show.

51 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Who the hell wants that option on the bridge? It makes sense to have it for the experimental murder droids.

You may need to power up said murder droids and send them out to board an enemy ship as well. In fact, that is probably much more likely than sending them to wreck shop in your own ship.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If you haven’t watched Netflix Lost in Space, it is pretty good. One my kids enjoy too.
Anyway, there is a “we need to blow up the ship” scene, and the military guy says something along the lines of where is the self destruct button?  The scientist/engineer woman more or less say who the hell would design a ship meant to harbor the future of mankind with a self destruct button. It was a pretty amusing scene of them making fun of that standard sci-fi device. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The droid bay had the hatch to the outside because fighting is going to be outside the ship. Makes perfect sense for that to be there. The walkway over a hatch is probably poor design but typical for an empire with no regulation to protect workers.

38 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't give one fuck about the opinions of people who think Rian Johnson made a good Star Wars movie.

^^^^ this right here!

Last night's episode was awesome!  It's what star wars shows should be.  Seriously, this show just delivers.  It doesn't have some social justice agenda, it's just good storytelling with compelling content.  Special effects are big budget movie quality, plenty of action with some comedy and heartwarming moments thrown in.  Finally, it adds some unexpected surprises too.  Bonus is it has bad-ass babes kicking ass too.

For me, it's exactly what I want from Star Wars.  Perfect show.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only thing I didn’t like about last night’s episode (and pretty much all Star Wars since RoTJ) is how pathetic the rank and file bad guys are. Why even have storm troopers at this point? They’re just cannon fodder, no better than those idiotic battle droids. 

The battle between Mando and the one dark trooper had drama and tension. All the other crap with his posse mowing down hapless storm troopers was boring. (Luke doing the same to the dark troopers made sense, though, because it showed how powerful he is compared to the show’s hero.)

• Hook 'Em 1

The droid bay had the hatch to the outside because fighting is going to be outside the ship. Makes perfect sense for that to be there. The walkway over a hatch is probably poor design but typical for an empire with no regulation to protect workers.

Again, it is the same feature. Allow then to enter/exit externally without the need for experimental murder droids running around the ship. It also presents one with an opportunity to jettison them and jump away should the need arise.

I believed a fishy guy commented on the lack of safety features for the employees of said empire.

I am sure Dave/Jon will give us another crack in the future about seeing guard rails at a Rebellion base.

What was fun also was notice how it was an all chic strike force that went in? It wasn’t some forced in your face event. It did not require Mary Sue characters. It just happened. Which could be interpreted as a kind of a Fuck You to the last trilogy.

My son called Luke, my daughter thought it might be Ashoka. I just watched and enjoyed. My son cried a little at the end. My daughter talked and talked.

The complaints I saw were mostly clickbait reviews. One even whining that not everything was wrapped up at the end of a season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I was 7 years old when my mom dropped me and my cousin Scott off at the Elsinore Theater, a single screen theater, in downtown Salem, OR to see a matinee screening of Star Wars.   2+ hours later, we ran out of the theater and told my mom that we "had to see this movie again..... Right now!!!!" Bless her heart,  she pulled out a few dollar bills and sent us back in to see it again.

The first week or two after release my brother and I (aged 9 and 6) saw a Saturday matinee screening at that exact theater. Small world.

Watching that episode made me realize something. They really should have made a sequel trilogy after Return of the Jedi. Just think of all the cool shit we could have seen Luke doing. The possibilities would have been endless.

I wonder why they never made those movies? Oh well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

We never saw a sequel trilogy because Lucas was tired. The OT took a lot out of him. He was also going through a divorce at the time (reflected in Mola Ram ripping the heart out of the sacrifices to Kal Lima). Plus, no way was Harrison Ford coming back. He wanted Han Solo to die in Jedi. It's the only reason he returned for The Force Awakens, so he could give Han Solo a hero's death. Well that and money. The Timothy Zahn book trilogy and the Dark Empire comic book series were the best possible sequels for the OT. 

• Like 2