The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

On 3/7/2021 at 7:08 AM, kevwun said:

She is largely responsible for going in to the new trilogy with no plan for the story line and letting Rian Johnson do whatever he wanted in the 2nd one.  She definitely deserves it for that, but she doesn't appear to be causing Filoni any trouble at all.

she deserves all the shit she got and then some for the last 3 movie abortions. the best thing to happen to her are filoni and favroeeeee. they saved her ass. that she learned to stay out of their way and sign on whatever they propose isn't something to be commended. those are the easiest fucking yes decisions ever. 

filoni is who she should've had mastermind the last 3 movies anyway. he didn't have to direct but he should've set the major plot lines central to all three.

anyway, really looking foward to see where filoni's mind takes us with mando and the rebels spin offs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

she deserves all the shit she got and then some for the last 3 movie abortions. the best thing to happen to her are filoni and favroeeeee. they saved her ass. that she learned to stay out of their way and sign on whatever they propose isn't something to be commended. those are the easiest fucking yes decisions ever. 
filoni is who she should've had mastermind the last 3 movies anyway. he didn't have to direct but he should've set the major plot lines central to all three.
anyway, really looking foward to see where filoni's mind takes us with mando and the rebels spin offs.

Hindsight and all that. Filoni did the clone wars movie that was pretty shitty looking. He definitely developed his skill and story building over the course of CW/Rebels. The resistance cartoon was wasn’t so great.

Filoni had never done live action before and didn’t see how he could contribute to the Mandolorian, it was Faverau that convinced him. Filoni knew the material, but the heavy lifting is running through Faverau on directing, set building, etc.

And Filoni and Faverau have a good relationship with Lucas which really ties the room together.

The JJ/Rian thing seemed like it could work, but I guess they just didn’t give a shit and tried hard to remake it with their own spin rather than continue the universe. Lightsaber proof leather jacket.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 3:58 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m disappointed in myself for not watching  Clone Wars or Rebels. 

Rebels is pretty darned good.

Seriously… I don’t have kids, so I completely ignored the cartoon canon.  Boy was I dumb.  It took me a while to get through Clone Wars which really paid off in the latter seasons, but Rebels is completely different. My wife is out of town and I have blown through two seasons in just a week. I thought it would take a bit to get invested in a group of completely new characters, but they are all great.  Of course, they sprinkled in some classic characters for flavor while bringing Ahsoka into the arc.

And holy crap, watching Ahsoka come to grips with what happened to Anakin is compelling stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Seriously… I don’t have kids, so I completely ignored the cartoon canon.  Boy was I dumb.  It took me a while to get through Clone Wars which really paid off in the latter seasons, but Rebels is completely different. My wife is out of town and I have blown through two seasons in just a week. I thought it would take a bit to get invested in a group of completely new characters, but they are all great.  Of course, they sprinkled in some classic characters for flavor while bringing Ahsoka into the arc.

And holy crap, watching Ahsoka come to grips with what happened to Anakin is compelling stuff. 

I’ve watched both since that post. Both closing series arcs are masterpieces. 

I know it's been discussed upthread, but with her 6th birthday this week...which of the two Clone Wars/Rebels would y'all say is best for a girl that age?  She's really trying to get into the Star Wars universe with Dad.  We've watched the original trilogy and a half dozen Mandalorian episodes.  She loves them, but it can be a bit much at times.  Would like to maybe pivot towards one of the animated series.  Not asking which one y'all prefer as adults, but which has clicked more with your young(er) children)?  

I think it all depends on what you think she can handle. Rebels has moments of darkness but character deaths are few and far between. The first season is much lighter as you get to know the characters. 2nd season is where it gets darker. We watched Rebels from start to finish with our kids who are now 13 and 10. I think that would put them at 10 and 7 when we first started. Rebels is fantastic and feels like the OT which it's set before. 

I can't speak to Clone Wars as I only watched certain episodes and the last season on Disney+.

46 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We've watched the original trilogy and a half dozen Mandalorian episodes.

I think she needs too see the prequels, and there's only a few scenes you need to fast-forward through (Anakin killing the kids, Anakin getting owned by Obi-Wan).

That would make the Clone Wars the logical choice for her, and she'd get more out of it.

I don't mind the violence part, but the prequels are just a beating.  Not trying to sound too cool for school, but the CGI shit, she may as well watch an animated series we can do 1 or 2 of per week in serialized fashion.  

I honestly can't believe people haven't pretended that Disney is trying to cancel "Rebels" by renaming it retroactively.  

Anyway, I'm not so much worried about as her getting thrown off the timeline consistency with either series, she sorta recognized some characters in Mando from the originals and/or dad's figures in the closet.  But moreso, just which of the two is just better for a 6YO in terms of attention grabber? 

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I know it's been discussed upthread, but with her 6th birthday this week...which of the two Clone Wars/Rebels would y'all say is best for a girl that age?  She's really trying to get into the Star Wars universe with Dad.  We've watched the original trilogy and a half dozen Mandalorian episodes.  She loves them, but it can be a bit much at times.  Would like to maybe pivot towards one of the animated series.  Not asking which one y'all prefer as adults, but which has clicked more with your young(er) children)?  

Rebels

I'll restate why I could never get into the Clone Wars, why I love Rebels, and why, in general, I'm never a fan of prequels with existing characters.

I already know what happens to Anakin. I don't need to see it further illustrated. I know Obi Wan lives to the OT. I know who lives and dies. With Rebels, you at least have fresh characters where you don't know their fates. You have an idea that somehow they don't exist to help Luke and the Rebellion, at least the Jedis of the show. It's also why the Mandalorian is a compelling show. You don't know what's yet to happen with the characters. Sure, Clone Wars introduced great characters that reoccur later but it just never grabbed me because of how I felt post-PT. I don't feel not being introduced to Ahsoka or Rex in the Clone Wars had any effect on my enjoyment or engagement when they appear in Rebels. I'd much prefer fresh stories that maybe have a tangential link to the PT or OT versus just painting in the area between the films. Rogue One worked for me for that exact reason. It was taking that little sliver of the opening crawl of Star Wars to show how that occurred. If you feel similar, Rebels is for you. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I don't mind the violence part, but the prequels are just a beating.  Not trying to sound too cool for school, but the CGI shit, she may as well watch an animated series we can do 1 or 2 of per week in serialized fashion.  

I honestly can't believe people haven't pretended that Disney is trying to cancel "Rebels" by renaming it retroactively.  

Anyway, I'm not so much worried about as her getting thrown off the timeline consistency with either series, she sorta recognized some characters in Mando from the originals and/or dad's figures in the closet.  But moreso, just which of the two is just better for a 6YO in terms of attention grabber? 

The prequels are Citizen Kane compared to the sequels.  Shit, I’ve sat through them recently with my 8 year-old and they honestly weren’t that bad outside of Jar Jar.  7-9 really lowered he bar on SW movies.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

There were two Clone Wars "series". There's the famous one that just ended, but there is a lesser known one that appeared as 5-minute shorts on Cartoon Network between the theatrical releases of Episodes 2 and 3 that bridges the gap. workswithweed is talking about the lesser known series.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll restate why I could never get into the Clone Wars, why I love Rebels, and why, in general, I'm never a fan of prequels with existing characters.
I already know what happens to Anakin. I don't need to see it further illustrated. I know Obi Wan lives to the OT. I know who lives and dies. With Rebels, you at least have fresh characters where you don't know their fates. You have an idea that somehow they don't exist to help Luke and the Rebellion, at least the Jedis of the show. It's also why the Mandalorian is a compelling show. You don't know what's yet to happen with the characters. Sure, Clone Wars introduced great characters that reoccur later but it just never grabbed me because of how I felt post-PT. I don't feel not being introduced to Ahsoka or Rex in the Clone Wars had any effect on my enjoyment or engagement when they appear in Rebels. I'd much prefer fresh stories that maybe have a tangential link to the PT or OT versus just painting in the area between the films. Rogue One worked for me for that exact reason. It was taking that little sliver of the opening crawl of Star Wars to show how that occurred. If you feel similar, Rebels is for you. 

The saga of Aniken without CW would be like reading the first and last chapters of a book.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Apep said:

There were two Clone Wars "series". There's the famous one that just ended, but there is a lesser known one that appeared as 5-minute shorts on Cartoon Network between the theatrical releases of Episodes 2 and 3 that bridges the gap. workswithweed is talking about the lesser known series.

It's also where we got the coolness of General Grievous iirc.

• Like 1

Yeah agree to disagree on mdmost’s take. CW pretty much totally redeems the bitchass Anakin character from the prequels, and establishes the best character outside of the films. Don’t skip CW. Use the episode guide if you don’t want to watch the whole thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

The saga of Aniken without CW would be like reading the first and last chapters of a book.

I'll agree with MissingInAction on this. If I need a comic book, novel, or additional TV series to make the characters or story in the movies better then the movies and storytellers did a horrible job. I don't need to root for Anakin because I already know how it turns out. Again, just me. I never watched The Hobbit for the same reason. The Mandalorian stuff is good. I've seen those and watched the final season because I liked how it synched up with ROTS. But there's a lot of shoehorning and backbending to make Anakin look better. If you enjoy that, more power to you. 

Edited by mdmost

58 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If I need a comic book, novel, or additional TV series to make the characters or story in the movies better then the movies and storytellers did a horrible job.

plinkettreviews169.jpg

Thanks mdmost, I read your comment in his voice.

Lobo, watch the RLM reviews of the prequels with your daughter instead of the prequels. Just know there is a lot of bad language, but she'll learn a lot about filmmaking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll agree with MissingInAction on this. If I need a comic book, novel, or additional TV series to make the characters or story in the movies better then the movies and storytellers did a horrible job. I don't need to root for Anakin because I already know how it turns out. Again, just me. I never watched The Hobbit for the same reason. The Mandalorian stuff is good. I've seen those and watched the final season because I liked how it synched up with ROTS. But there's a lot of shoehorning and backbending to make Anakin look better. If you enjoy that, more power to you. 

Your second sentence does not make sense. People loved Vader in 1977. Clone Wars only added to the character.

I knew how Romeo and Juliet ended before I saw it acted out. And Citizen Kane, and some Musashi films, titanic, 300, ford v. Ferrari, super hero movies, etc.

I have a hard time keeping up with all of it. The characters, timeline, movies, cartoons, books, games, spin-offs, the whole landscape and universe. It’s overwhelming. I’m impressed that some of you are so deep into it. What started with one movie in 1977 has exploded beyond anything anyone could imagine. It’s really amazing. 

On 4/18/2021 at 10:40 AM, Lobo said:

Star Wars Resistance isn't as good as CW or Rebels, but it's definitely more geared towards the younger kids in my opinion.  It's also a pretty quick watch to get through them.  Maybe start with that and then go CW and Rebels afterward.  

On 4/18/2021 at 11:36 AM, mdmost said:

I guess I don't see the difference in why you're saying you liked Rebels vs. Clone Wars.  The very reason I liked Clone Wars was all of the new characters, from Ashoka, Rex, Fives and Echo to Hondo to all of the Mandalorians, the Nightsisters, Savage Opress, etc.  Very little of it was "about" Anakin or his journey to the Dark Side.  We didn't know any of those new characters' fates when Clone Wars was originally going on.  In fact, it seemed pretty likely most would end up dead since we hadn't (yet) seen them in any subsequent Star Wars series. 

That's why the reveal in Rebels that Ashoka was alive and "Fulcrum" or that Rex was still around was such a huge fucking deal at the time. I would argue that having watched Clone Wars first DID enhance the enjoyment, because we didn't know if those characters were alive or dead at that point and when it was revealed that they were alive, it was fucking awesome.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/23/2021 at 3:32 PM, Apep said:

The cast of the Clone Wars was too large and unwieldy. It stretched the series out.  Caused it to lose focus at times. It's no surprise that some people don't like it.

Oh yeah for sure. 

That's why that Guide that was put together on Reddit several years ago was so good.  It boiled down the story arcs that were important to understand going into Rebels - Mandalorians/Deathwatch, Maul/Savage, Ashoka framed, etc.