All right you boys, need dress/casual shoe brand recommendation

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So much talk of re-soling. I don’t get that. I beat the uppers of the shoes to hell with scratches, scrapes, etc. I’d be re-soling shoes like a hobo.

If you polish and condition them every so often, those tend to fade away on decent leather.  Unless your job involves kicking rocks.

My Dad wore his dress shoes, which were quality for the day, all leather, for 40 years.  He had five or six pairs rotated.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

So much talk of re-soling. I don’t get that. I beat the uppers of the shoes to hell with scratches, scrapes, etc. I’d be re-soling shoes like a hobo.

i like the idea of resoling shoes.  theres a romanticism of having something nicer (relatively speaking) that you care for (relatively speaking) that sticks around for a long time.  but definitely some of the ones id intended to keep a long time (like crockett jones) took on accelerated wear on the uppers, or toebox, or etc.

a scotch grain leather or especially suede upper is really good for this.  the natural texture and finish of them hides lots of the wear mark.  lots of those i have still look new, after years

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ah got it. So my laziness is what makes the whole re-soling thing unviable for me.

Maybe.  A lot of inexpensive shoes are made of really crappy leather.  Very thin and in some cases, the surface isn't the "top grain" of the hide, but rather a plasticky coating that makes it smooth.  Those shoes aren't going to stand up to scuffing and scratching even if you do condition and polish.  And I'm not talking complete crap Asian-made shoes, either.  You can spend a hundo or more on shoes with shit leather.

One of the things you're paying for in expensive shoes, in addition to top-quality and labor-intensive construction, is really nice quality leather that is almost self-healing with a little help.

You'd have to be really rough on and negligent toward a pair of A-E or Aldens or better to make them unsuitable for at least one or two re-solings.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:54 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe.  A lot of inexpensive shoes are made of really crappy leather.  Very thin and in some cases, the surface isn't the "top grain" of the hide, but rather a plasticky coating that makes it smooth.  Those shoes aren't going to stand up to scuffing and scratching even if you do condition and polish.  And I'm not talking complete crap Asian-made shoes, either.  You can spend a hundo or more on shoes with shit leather.

One of the things you're paying for in expensive shoes, in addition to top-quality and labor-intensive construction, is really nice quality leather that is almost self-healing with a little help.

You'd have to be really rough on and negligent toward a pair of A-E or Aldens or better to make them unsuitable for at least one or two re-solings.

The difference in price between good leather and crappy leather isn't all that big, however the nicer shoe brands probably pay more attention to which part of the hide and orientation when they are clicking out the pieces. So they probably have more waste versus a large company that clicks out pieces in whichever way will give them the most shoes per side. So while the price difference may only be $10 pers square foot, that is magnified by the amount of scrap. Even still, the price difference for the leather is not all that high like some people think. I think this is kind of a myth promoted by shoe companies to help ensure their proces stay high enough.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Is there a dress shoe that doesn’t crease across the top of the shoes? I hate staring at that crease every day.

Worn in shoes are the goal. It takes years to get a good patina on them.

Once you get to the level of patching them you are elite, like Prince Charles.

bb48c42c21352ffd471de690f8250a25.jpg&sa=

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I’d be all over these if I could get them in blue.

but seriously, cordovan/shell leather (=horsehide) has a tendenu to form broader folds, rather than sharp creases. 

a decoration like toe cap masks creases somewhat

but the best is suede.  it hides lots of wear

On 12/14/2019 at 10:34 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The difference in price between good leather and crappy leather isn't all that big, however the nicer shoe brands probably pay more attention to which part of the hide and orientation when they are clicking out the pieces. So they probably have more waste versus a large company that clicks out pieces in whichever way will give them the most shoes per side. So while the price difference may only be $10 pers square foot, that is magnified by the amount of scrap. Even still, the price difference for the leather is not all that high like some people think. I think this is kind of a myth promoted by shoe companies to help ensure their proces stay high enough.

I don't disagree re the price of leather.  But, compare the hide on a decent pair of Allen Edmonds or Aldens to a department store pair, e.g. Bostonian, a lot of Cole Haan/Nikes, low end J/M etc. etc. and the difference is huge.  Start scuffing that corrected grain thin split and they won't last long.  Or those square-toed abominations upthread.

It's probably not accounted for so much in the retail price as in the margin.

Also, thin, shitty corrected grain leather will crease and crack and look like shit, whereas decent leather will mellow and patina.  Those creases are part of the charm.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
No mention of Allbirds in this thread?
The last couple of times I flew into HQ (Silicon Valley) I wore Adidas but was considering some Allbirds.
For those that work in Tech, particularly in the Bay Area, what kinda of sneakers do you prefer?

In Tech in Austin, if I’m wearing sneakers I wear my all black Vans. Otherwise I have some 4/5 year old JM Boots that I wear at least 3-4 times a week. Condition then twice a year and they’ve treated me well.

On 12/14/2019 at 12:38 PM, 52-80 said:

red-tulip-clogs_1.jpg

On 12/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, Dbeasy said:

I’d be all over these if I could get them in blue.

Burnt orange, replace Holland with Mensa, and the artwork with this

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd buy em just for the chance to kick Herman in the nuts.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:38 AM, 52-80 said:

red-tulip-clogs_1.jpg

Lived in Holland for a bit. Only person I ever saw wearing a wooden shoe was a fish monger.

I switched to barefoot style/zero heel drop style shoes about 10 years ago. (Xero, Altra, Vivobarefoot), Surprised nobody here wears 'em. You do give up a lot of potential style for the comfort but for me it's well worth it.

• 7 months later...

Does any know about Lethato Shoes Brand?

I owned a pair of Dress Shoes from them  and their shoes are elegant, stylish durable, and comfortable on the feet. I order a pair of shoes from them and the quality of the awesome and they use premium high-quality leather. I wear them on regular bases and them well with my own outfit.  The shoes are Handmade and handcrafted.and i have also a pair of Stacy Adam which looks good but worst in quality i wore them in many different occassions the shoes does not last long and the sole of the shoe broke with in 3 Months and the prices of the shoe is cheap they use plastic not leather. But when i owned shoes from Lethato they are perfectly stable and durable to try i wear them on my regular bases and long hours. I kept on wearing their shoes and they keep on going they use premium high quality leather which makes them elegant, I even pair them with my shirts and pants and they fit well in my wardrobe. The prices of the shoes is not expensive and they fit in my budget. So if you compared them with theses two brands, I prefer to use Lethato because they provide the thing that i am looking for. 

51 minutes ago, samorman222 said:

I owned a pair of Dress Shoes from them  and their shoes are elegant, stylish durable, and comfortable on the feet. I order a pair of shoes from them and the quality of the awesome and they use premium high-quality leather. I wear them on regular bases and them well with my own outfit.  The shoes are Handmade and handcrafted.and i have also a pair of Stacy Adam which looks good but worst in quality i wore them in many different occassions the shoes does not last long and the sole of the shoe broke with in 3 Months and the prices of the shoe is cheap they use plastic not leather. But when i owned shoes from Lethato they are perfectly stable and durable to try i wear them on my regular bases and long hours. I kept on wearing their shoes and they keep on going they use premium high quality leather which makes them elegant, I even pair them with my shirts and pants and they fit well in my wardrobe. The prices of the shoes is not expensive and they fit in my budget. So if you compared them with theses two brands, I prefer to use Lethato because they provide the thing that i am looking for. 

So you’re the new Lethato regional sales rep.  Nice to meet you.  

All of us wear flip flops.

With socks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lolz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 8/8/2020 at 7:59 PM, samorman222 said:

I'm sure you have a code that will give me 10% off and free shipping on my first order? Please send me it. And send it to Derka as well.

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

I'm sure you have a code that will give me 10% off and free shipping on my first order? Please send me it. And send it to Derka as well.

yes

On 8/8/2020 at 7:22 PM, deadshank said:

So you’re the new Lethato regional sales rep.  Nice to meet you.  

All of us wear flip flops.

With socks.

Hello, I am not a Lethato Sales Representative and i'm not here to promote any brand or a website. i am here to share my views about the brand.... 

On 8/8/2020 at 8:54 PM, Coyote said:

Holy shit Lethato makes some ugly shoes. It’s like they are trying to out douchebag the boots in west Texas.

No, They make good shoes and i have even wore them in any occassions and still i'm wearing them and i still have these shoes....

Casual shoes:
Stopped wearing chucks a while back because lack of support and I’m not 21 anymore. 

The age appropriate version I’ve found are Seavees 

https://www.seavees.com/collections/mens-standards

Dress shoes:

Johnston Murphy’s - mid level quality and mid level prices. If you take care of them and rotate wear, they can last a year or two.