Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Ldogg53

Mindy was terrible.  Who was she?  Why was she friends with the gang?  Why did she give a shit about Paddy's?  Why can't she lose weight like Mac?

The whole gang was neutered by her presence.

The sex doll Dennis is a funny idea.  But that's really all that episode had, and it became unfunny.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Mindy was terrible.  Who was she?  Why was she friends with the gang?  Why did she give a shit about Paddy's?  Why can't she lose weight like Mac?

The whole gang was neutered by her presence.

100% agree. It almost seemed like an episode from network TV when two different shows would have a crossover episode. Please go away forever Mindy. 

I think it's pretty clear that Mindy is gone and Dennis is back (with maybe some flexibility).  And this was a C- Sunny episode with a few funny bits that was mostly about establishing that the gang is codependent and can't function without Dennis.  Plus kinda weak cameo, but if Dennis is back for the rest of the season that improves the likelihood that we have some solid episodes.  So, in the grand scheme, solid development.

Ok I actually really liked the episode.

I thought the Dennis sex doll was freaking hysterical.  It was so freaking creepy it cracked me up every time it was on screen.

Also the Mindy Kaling character wasn't supposed to work/fit in... that was the point.  She was not a good replacement for Dennis.... I enjoyed the meta joke of that.

And the ending was awesome with real Dennis returning, Frank pulling the gun, "shut up, bird!" and "have you gained some weight?"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I thought the Dennis sex doll was freaking hysterical.  It was so freaking creepy it cracked me up every time it was on screen.

Also the Mindy Kaling character wasn't supposed to work/fit in... that was the point.  She was not a good replacement for Dennis.... I enjoyed the meta joke of that.

And the ending was awesome with real Dennis returning, Frank pulling the gun, "shut up, bird!" and "have you gained some weight?"

Yep. “I asked for his mouth to be shaped like he’s in mid-conversation.”

On 9/7/2018 at 9:09 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

So much this.  Did it really go over some of your heads that this was the joke?  It was pretty obvious at the strip club when they decided she was part of the gang and the very next scene Dennis is back and they kicked her out.  The doll was funny, and proving the gang's dependency on him was interesting.  I actually thought the second episode was significantly weaker.  The sex dungeon was funny but the rest was just okay.  I think it'll be another good season overall.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So much this.  Did it really go over some of your heads that this was the joke?  It was pretty obvious at the strip club when they decided she was part of the gang and the very next scene Dennis is back and they kicked her out.  The doll was funny, and proving the gang's dependency on him was interesting.  I actually thought the second episode was significantly weaker.  The sex dungeon was funny but the rest was just okay.  I think it'll be another good season overall.

Agreed. Second episode, other than the sex dungeon, was kind of "meh."  Most of the time I like the episodes when the gang is all together the whole time, but that one just didn't quite work for me.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:44 PM, Js1 said:

I liked the very subtle mocking of the Ghostbusters reboot.

I don't know if I'd call it subtle.  The whole theme of the episode was mocking female reboots and it was glorious.

I thought the episode was the best of the three so far.

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

I like it, too. Not as good as early Sunny, but still funnier than just about anything else on nowadays.

Most shows won't be "as good" as earlier years when you're 9 years in but this show is doing a damn good job of still being funny.  It's nothing like other shows that wen't too long, like the Office, which got pretty terrible towards the end.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Most shows won't be "as good" as earlier years when you're 9 years in but this show is doing a damn good job of still being funny.  It's nothing like other shows that wen't too long, like the Office, which got pretty terrible towards the end.

It was amazing how Jim and Pam became hatable people.

nothing about that episode was subtle. the entire thing was on the nose. the funniest part of the episode was charlie and mac calling dee a bird, which really says it all. 

i also like how nobody can dislike an episode of a tv show for the reason that it just wasn't any good to that person, it's always got to be because of some supposed preconceived notion or some active desire to not like the episode. it couldn't just be that 80% of the main cast was absent from 99% of the show and they did a bottle episode that was nothing more than chicks doing dick and fart jokes, chicks who are 85% tertiary characters at that- no, it's simply because we wanted it to be bad. 

Edited by Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

nothing about that episode was subtle. the entire thing was on the nose. the funniest part of the episode was charlie and mac calling dee a bird, which really says it all. 

i also like how nobody can dislike an episode of a tv show for the reason that it just wasn't any good to that person, it's always got to be because of some supposed preconceived notion or some active desire to not like the episode. it couldn't just be that 80% of the main cast was absent from 99% of the show and they did a bottle episode that was nothing more than chicks doing dick and fart jokes, chicks who are 85% tertiary characters at that- no, it's simply because we wanted it to be bad. 

Dude. Nobody said you had to like it or that you didn't get it. Some of us just didn't hate it as much as you did.

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He hated it like 16 hours before it even aired. 

it's the lowest rated episode on imdb since season 11, episode 4- dee made a smut film. a lot of people didn't like it.

by the way, i don't know if any of you guys have ever met me or not, but in case i haven't made myself clear, i am absolutely willing to die on the hill that says we're allowed to be a critical of a tv show in the dedicated thread. if you decide to tell me that i have ulterior motives for not liking something, or try to tell me that i'm not allowed to be critical of the show in the dedicated thread, then don't get upset when i invariably engage you until you drop it.

i will never ever ever accept this idea that all criticism is strictly verboten in the varsity forum. and just like in any other thread in any other forum, debate and difference of opinion is allowed. it doesn't have to be a monumental issue every time someone doesn't like a show. and i'll never change my mind on that.

Edited by Goo Punch

gimmick all female episode was a C-.  Meh.  Also, maybe I'm crazy but I think they're airing them out of order (I don't recall an episode where the male waiter/flight attendant from the episode waited on them at the Super Bowl, or an episode where the gang goes to the super bowl).

Tonight's episode - good.

I don't know why this line got me, but 

"How many drinks have I had?"

"You're not in the scene"

"Cause I've had 5"

Edited by Celery Man