Todd Orlando currently makes $1.7 million

Brock Sampson

Kyler Murray is a singular talent.  This defense stepped up and made plays.  If they don't then this is a blow out in ou's favor.  Are there other defensive coordinators?  Sure, but it would be nice to have some consistency in the program for 3 or more years.  

I’d love to see him stay for a while just for the consistency part. If Locke doesn’t get tripped up on that long td, that comeback attempt probably never starts.

after rewatch, we completely lost gap integrity in the 4th quarter.  Johnson and Freeman took themselves out of plays way too often.  bad angles.  had some loafing going on as well.  no reason to let that shit happen that easy.  we need to keep Orlando but he's still got work to do with this D.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

I thought the lack of a 2 deep finally caught up to us. We had a lot of lazy steps

Yeah it was nice seeing Christmas-Giles getting some playing time, until I realized he was in on every play on one of their really easy scoring drives. There's a tremendous dropoff after the first 15 or so.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

after rewatch, we completely lost gap integrity in the 4th quarter.  Johnson and Freeman took themselves out of plays way too often.  bad angles.  had some loafing going on as well.  no reason to let that shit happen that easy.  we need to keep Orlando but he's still got work to do with this D.

Freeman?

4 minutes ago, DreadHead said:

Technically wasn't it a poor 3-4 minutes? Todd Orlando is pretty incredible, we need to keep hold of him as long as we can. 

251.png&h=100&w=100
TD
0:56
Lil'Jordan Humphrey 15 Yd pass from Sam Ehlinger (Cameron Dicker Kick)
45 24
FOURTH QUARTER TEX OKLA
201.png&h=100&w=100
TD
8:28
Lee Morris 19 Yd pass from Kyler Murray (Austin Seibert Kick)
45 31
201.png&h=100&w=100
TD
5:11
Kyler Murray 67 Yd Run (Austin Seibert Kick)
45 38
201.png&h=100&w=100
TD
2:38
Trey Sermon 7 Yd Run (Austin Seibert Kick)
45 45
251.png&h=100&w=100

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, DreadHead said:

Technically wasn't it a poor 3-4 minutes? Todd Orlando is pretty incredible, we need to keep hold of him as long as we can. 

Orlando's Defense Can't give up a 21 point lead so easily in 6 minutes.....

NOT IMPRESSED

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Orlando's Defense Can't give up a 21 point lead so easily in 6 minutes.....

NOT IMPRESSED

OU scored 3 touchdowns in 3 minutes and 16 seconds. Yes, mistakes were made but I'll take the rest of the game and the win, and this 4 game winning streak. You aren't impressed? Well, that's just like your opinion man. 😃

Edit: Not to mention our offense didn't help stalling out and giving it right back to them. Give the guy some credit. 

Edited by DreadHead
Edit

7 minutes ago, DreadHead said:

OU scored 3 touchdowns in 3 minutes and 16 seconds. Yes, mistakes were made but I'll take the rest of the game and the win, and this 4 game winning streak. You aren't impressed? Well, that's just like your opinion man. 😃

Happy with the win..... But if you are honest with yourself, giving up a 21 point lead so quickly by TEXAS Defense in 4th quarter (No turnovers by Tx Offense) was a piss poor result.....

I do Like Orlando, but tired of all the Orlando sunshine pumpers.... He's still got a lot more to prove imo.... BlowU scored 45 points

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, vox said:

Orlando is the real deal.

Manny Diaz couldn't wash TO's jock...

Keep him as long as we can.

The D kept us in this game despite the fact that the Ewok is a freak of nature.

While TO is a good coach, he will admit that 4th quarter result of giving up a 21 point Lead was disappointing.....

Keep it real folks..... Orlando should be criticized too when results aren't good just like Beck.... Texas Defense gave up 21 points in a 6 minute stretch with little resistance during the 4th quarter..... Just being objective here....

Love the Win..... HOOK'EM

I think you drag out all the Kirby Smart quotes and articles and tell him the Georgia's of the world will come calling in a few years if you continue to do what your doing for a few more years.  It's better for that to be your first head coaching gig than a to pull a Herman IMHO.

Happy with the win..... But if you are honest with yourself, giving up a 21 point lead so quickly by TEXAS Defense in 4th quarter (No turnovers by Tx Offense) was a piss poor result.....
I do Like Orlando, but tired of all the Orlando sunshine pumpers.... He's still got a lot more to prove imo.... BlowU scored 45 points
Without TO we aren't 5-1 right now and dancing on gooner graves, GTFO with that shit.

You do realize OU is one of (if not THE) the most prolific and dangerous offenses in the entire country, right? I'm not excusing the second half breakdowns in coverage, just putting it in perspective. Oh, and we fucking won the game as well..
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, deech said:

I think you drag out all the Kirby Smart quotes and articles and tell him the Georgia's of the world will come calling in a few years if you continue to do what your doing for a few more years.  It's better for that to be your first head coaching gig than a to pull a Herman IMHO.

Agree that TO might be better off waiting at least 2-3 more years before considering taking over a Head Coaching job....

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Without TO we aren't 5-1 right now and dancing on gooner graves, GTFO with that shit.

You do realize OU is one of (if not THE) the most prolific and dangerous offenses in the entire country, right? I'm not excusing the second half breakdowns in coverage, just putting it in perspective. Oh, and we fucking won the game as well..

Valid points...

Just find it interesting  how people rush to defend Orlando when his unit underperforms...... there were mistakes made by the defensive coaching staff during that 4th quarter 21 point run by BlowU.

Orlando made mistakes.... you may not like it, but it's the truth....

I'm thrilled HORNS won.....

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Saw your correction of Wheeler (not Freeman)

Thanks for critiquing the 4th quarter HORNS Defense.... Valid comments

13 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

TO may have made mistakes but that's just a small portion of the defensive story. You really think we win the game without the turnovers? Without basically shutting down the midgets running game except one play?

At worst the defensive contribution to the win is neutral and even that is a stretch.

Team Win.... Defense Contributed, NO DOUBT....

I like for folks to discuss the games performance objectively..... and not necessarily wet their panties about how "Great Orlando" is....

Don't read my comments wrong..... I like Orlando, happy with Win, but it was not a " Great Texas Defensive" performance in the 4th quarter.

When some folks on this thread  say Orlando deserves a pay raise after only 4-5 games this season, it's premature imo.  Don't forget that CRAP defensive performance at Maryland......

Edited by LTtxfan

On 10/6/2018 at 5:37 PM, 6th Street said:

Orlando calle a great game. I don't think you can blame that shit efffort and tackling on him

Like a few comments on this thread, there are some valid criticisms of Orlando's Defensive Results in the OU Game.....

Here's IT's comments:

If you think being a DC is hard on any given Saturday try sugarcoating how your bunch played well despite giving up 45 points to your rival in the press conference days after the game. I'm sure Orlando will point out the good plays (sacks and turnovers) but the simple truth is not many of our defensive guys played as well as they know they can. Speed makes the game extremely difficult but I doubt a single defender would blame his not playing his best on OU's ability to run. 

We didn't defeat many blocks. We didn't tackle well at all. We missed too many assignments everywhere but the DL. Our pass rush didn't dictate any rapid heart rate. We lost contain too often. We missed filling the correct gaps at the second level. We failed to scrape correctly too often. Worst of all we got blocked and missed tackles at an alarming rate. It is hard to explain why our backend can't get properly aligned and ready to play coverage this far into the season. I will leave it at that.

We ran fresh out of gas at too many positions. I blame that on the staff. Rotation is not your enemy if conducted with a purpose in mind. When your defenders all look like they are running uphill against the wind it's your job to get fresh bodies into the fight---and realize you should have done that every quarter. Here are the grades:

90---Omenihu---B+

60---Hager---B

49---Graham---B-

42---Bimage---B-

97---Nelson---B+

94---Wilbon---B-

55---Christmas---B-

33---Johnson---C+

45---Wheeler---C

2---Boyd---B+

7---Sterns---B-

11---Locke---C

18---Davis---B+

25---Foster---B

We didn't play well enough to win on defense this week. The good news is the offense did. We need help in several areas going forward. The DL needs to go back to slashing and creating havoc regardless of the QB. We can't play conservative---it's not our style. We have a nice two deep rotation that probably goes 75-25. 60-40 might be nice number as the bumps and bruises multiply each week.

We just don't have a LB that has instincts to play the position in this league. We have one that can usually swash-buckle his way to the ball and make eye-opening plays at times. Yesterday wasn't his finest hour by a longshot. The other LB is just not developed for a Big 12 success. Except for the nickel position LB is by far the weakest position group on the team. We need to recruit this position very well because the answer must not be on campus right now---otherwise, we would be playing them right now. 

It's head-scratching how we bust so many coverages (three td's yesterday directly) because it's always the same cast of characters back there every game. With two DB coaches one would think they could get covering the wheel route and switch routes rules in place. Maybe a switch in personnel could solve the nagging problem. It's a huge problem that hasn't gone away. It ain't lack of talent. This group needs to apologize this week against them bears. They owe the offense.

Edited by LTtxfan