K12 Skiing of Dominance Thread - 2017/2018

texasdago

Had a great time.  Skied this spot in a snow storm with nothin' but powder (that's not me).  Blew out my knee three days later.  Knee still screwed up.  Still had a great time.  Will fix the ACL and go skiing again.   #NeverQuit #IsIt2018SkiSeasonYet

photos1718_20171202_GP_002.jpg 

59 minutes ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

Any of y’all ever ski Wolf Creek? From what I’ve seen it looks like it could be the best powder stash in Colorado. Like a hidden secret. I think I might try to check it out in the closing days of this season or maybe early in the 18/19 season. 

They don’t make snow so it’s a different, good experience. They average the most snowfall in Colorado. I think this year is a down year. Not a real big mountain but terrain for everyone.

It’s a destination hill with a few amenities but Pagosa Springs is a nice nearby town.  

Yesterday's climb in Mt. Hood Wilderness :  Started skinning at 3800' to start of Polallie Trail to Tilly Jane A-frame to rim of Polallie bowl, a 2000 ft gain. 

IMG_0898_zpspnbefcbf.jpg

IMG_0908_zpssbotbdtv.jpg

IMG_0936_zpsnfz7wgf1.png

IMG_0916_zpsh9hrjesc.jpg

Beautiful bowl drop in above Polallie creek under the right circumstances, but 13" slab with that smooth plain means no go.   I started alone but was fortunate to meet two old pros on the trail so was able to take more risk.  We went higher past the stone hut up to about 7400" just below Cooper Spur:

IMG_0918_zpsxokthviu.jpg

IMG_0925_zpsds9bwwvy.jpg

We dropped down off the ridge 1000 ft below Cooper Spur onto the Eliot Glacier.  The skied just below the glacier mounds on the right of the pic below.  The last pic is the terrain we took down to the tree line and down to start.  Exceptional and rare snow conditions for Hood !

IMG_0933_zpsucm7sihy.jpg

IMG_0935_zpsicrzogqd.jpg

What A Day.  Was spent !

• Like 2

Looks awesome - looks like some great spots to ski down but, yeah, if you're alone and not as familiar with the spots, probably not a good idea.

I'll see if I can get rid of my lazy streak and post some of the pictures from our trip to France.  They may or may not be available on some "other" board.

• 3 weeks later...

This ski hike today at Bennett Pass in the Mt. Hood Natl Forest was a lot more rewarding than the pics suggest.  There was 8-12" of pow everywhere and it never stopped dumping, so making tracks all day took a toll. 

I cut my route by more than a third due to the conditions, but most importantly nailed down the location of a hidden clear cut for freshies that could only be defined by approaching from elevation below and linking through the woods above it to the main trail to know exactly where to drop in.  I was too gassed to do another lap on the big find, but I'll be back.

IMG_0963_zpsxl6wg3qa.jpg

IMG_0967_zpsr8c5rrio.jpgIMG_0969_zpse0khs5wh.jpg

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 2