Big Bend - Alpine - Marfa - Fort Davis

6 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, it can be quite the undertaking. I’ve done South Rim in a day but did Emory on day 2 of a backpacking trip.

It would definitely take all day. The South Rim views are better though, especially if you go up via Pinnacles since you don’t get a preview (if you take Boot Canyon all the way, which you’ll have to starting Feb. 1 anyway since Rita Peregrine season).

Or you could just flip a coin.

Amirite?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lonestar3 said:

So the idea of a 16 mile hike doesn't necessarily strike fear into my bones. What I'm worried about is not being able to take in the scenery if we try and do both the long ones in the same day. Are they really 7 hour hikes, or is that for the slower-paced group? 

Definitely do the South Rim, I'd look into skipping Emory and doing Lost Mine or a desert hike or 2.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but heading to MARFA for Valentine's Day. Any recos? We are staying at El Cosmico. 

There are very limited options and spots have undependable hours. so be prepared for places to be closed when google/yelp say they should be open.

Marfa burrito

Food shark

Aster

The Water Stop

Stellina

Bar Saint George for happy hour

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

Alright, heading there tomorrow...marfa...where are some places to eat esp for valentines night? 

Cochineal, Capri, LaVenture, Stellina

check their hours before going. Also, maybe they will be full due to Valentines?

we spent Valentines year before last at Valentines in Valentines (Big Bend Brewing shindig) then went to Capri for dinner afterwards. Was solid

On 2/13/2020 at 9:53 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Cochineal, Capri, LaVenture, Stellina

check their hours before going. Also, maybe they will be full due to Valentines?

we spent Valentines year before last at Valentines in Valentines (Big Bend Brewing shindig) then went to Capri for dinner afterwards. Was solid

Alright on the road back. 

big bend brewery shut down. There was a big party in Valentine and they just opened up a new bar, the towns only.

Stellina/Capri Are very chic and trendy. I liked the kitchen a lot and met the owners. They came from Corpus and bought the Sentinel Paper/building/ and turned it into a coworking space cocktail bar and restaurant. 

lost horse saloon is a perfect shithole. A guy asked me if he could dance with my girl and he had no hands.

stayed at el cosmico and it was great. Skipped Marfa burrito.

Water Stop is fucking delicious as is food shark which is a med food truck.

got some cool Stetsons and a piece of artwork to take home. 

fun couple days to just pal around and escape the city for a couple days.

• Like 2

Heading out in the morning after we drop the kids off at school.  My parents will come to town to watch them the rest of the time and drink my booze.

We've got reservations for Wednesday and Thursday night at basecamp Terlingua in one of them fancy fixed up mobile homes.  Friday night is in an airBNB in Fort Davis (more on that in a minute).  Saturday night is in the Hotel St. George in Marfa.  I guess I should say that this isn't just a big bend trip but manifest destiny for getting away from the kids and life for a bit. 

Terlingua:

As far as meals, we'll try to hit starlight, rio bravo and kiva whilst in that area.  I'm assuming that this is all within stumbling distance?  We'll also take my 8" dob with us and be drunk star lookin.  But what to do during the day?  

How hard is it to get the opportunity to do lost mines trail?  Is that the most popular because it certainly is mentioned a lot in this thread.  I'd love to hit that, the hot springs, maybe Santa elana canyon?  What should we look for?  We're both novice campers but have good boots 2L hydration packs, first aid kits, etc. I mentioned the hydration packs because I don't see her making it on more than a 4-5 hour trail all at once.  So....taking final recs on that now.

Fort Davis: 

The only thing here planned for good is that I booked a special viewing Friday night on the 36" telescope at McDonald.  I'm beyond excited for this.  I don't have any other plans for the time spent there so it could be more time on Friday morning doing BB stuff or it could be anything around the Fort Davis or McDonald Observatory area. 

Marfa:

Does anyone really ever see the lights?  Is it worth trying?  We were just thinking one night in some quirky West Texas fun town.  I'm sure we can scrounge up something to do.

• Like 1

During the week you’ll be fine for lost mines. It’s the most strenuous of what you mentioned, the other two are not hard at all. I’d recommend the window about an hour prior to sunset if you can do lost mines without physical difficulty. Bring beer and a headlamp for the walk out, it’s fantastic viewing. FYI it’s uphill the whole way back. 

14 hours ago, deft said:

Heading out in the morning after we drop the kids off at school.  My parents will come to town to watch them the rest of the time and drink my booze.

We've got reservations for Wednesday and Thursday night at basecamp Terlingua in one of them fancy fixed up mobile homes.  Friday night is in an airBNB in Fort Davis (more on that in a minute).  Saturday night is in the Hotel St. George in Marfa.  I guess I should say that this isn't just a big bend trip but manifest destiny for getting away from the kids and life for a bit. 

Terlingua:

As far as meals, we'll try to hit starlight, rio bravo and kiva whilst in that area.  I'm assuming that this is all within stumbling distance?  We'll also take my 8" dob with us and be drunk star lookin.  But what to do during the day?  

How hard is it to get the opportunity to do lost mines trail?  Is that the most popular because it certainly is mentioned a lot in this thread.  I'd love to hit that, the hot springs, maybe Santa elana canyon?  What should we look for?  We're both novice campers but have good boots 2L hydration packs, first aid kits, etc. I mentioned the hydration packs because I don't see her making it on more than a 4-5 hour trail all at once.  So....taking final recs on that now.

Fort Davis: 

The only thing here planned for good is that I booked a special viewing Friday night on the 36" telescope at McDonald.  I'm beyond excited for this.  I don't have any other plans for the time spent there so it could be more time on Friday morning doing BB stuff or it could be anything around the Fort Davis or McDonald Observatory area. 

Marfa:

Does anyone really ever see the lights?  Is it worth trying?  We were just thinking one night in some quirky West Texas fun town.  I'm sure we can scrounge up something to do.

If you've got all day to kick around Thurs in Terlingua I'd enter bbnp and do santa elena at least.  doesn't sound like your wife is much of a hiker so i would skip lost mines.  the window isn't too difficult.  

friday during the day kicking around ft davis, you might consider madera canyon trail, run by the nature conservancy if by chance it is open.  otherwise, there are some easy trails in the state park, and the scenic drive there, and the lodge is worth checking out also.

yes, everyone sees the marfa lights.  they aren't spectacular but are still mysterious and worth checking out.  the paisano is a cool hotel and worth walking through the lobby to see the Giant pics.

In Fort Davis there's a decent hike from Davis Mountain State Park that goes up over the ridge to some lookout points above the fort.  You can either continue down the other side into the fort itself and have someone pick you up or turn around at top and head back to the park .  It's not nearly as cool as the Lost Mine or The Window in BBNP but it's a good way to spend an hour or so in FD.  

Also in Fort Davis you can go on a horseback trail ride at Prude Ranch.  I went to summer camp out there a few times as a kid and the trail rides were the best part.  $55 for a two hour ride, $30 for one hour.  

https://prude-ranch.com/

I've seen the Marfa lights plenty of times but they always looked like headlights of trucks driving in the hills off in the distance.  I never saw them do any weird shit but plenty of others have.  

• Like 1

We were at the lost mine parking lot right before 7 am. 4th car in the lot. Windy as hell, fog covering everything for hours, and we got sleeted on. Had a blast. Now I’m drinking in terlingua. About to head to straight for the matlock/mirage she wrote dinner rush then go get blasted at la kiva. If weather is better tomorrow, planning on Santa elana and balanced rock.

a939716fb7ed6bb0651bbadde2e3967b.jpg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How long does burro ride from Rio Grande to Boquillas take? 20 min?

also, when heading back in US,  do i just ask anyone for a burro or truck to get back to river?

about 5 min.  you could easily walk if you wanted to save a couple of bucks.  you'd be more comfortable walking.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

How long does burro ride from Rio Grande to Boquillas take? 20 min?

also, when heading back in US,  do i just ask anyone for a burro or truck to get back to river?

Just walk, pussy. Its like a mile. If you have kids, put them on a burro for the novelty. You tie them up at a corral in town and then ride them back. Or you have a guide who leads them and takes care of them. Tip well the poor bastard who has to take care of your burros while you slurp margaritas and take a cheap holiday in other people's misery.

edit: you tie up the burros, not the kids. And the guide take care of the burros, not your kids.

When we did it, the wife and I walked, and my daughter and her friend rode horses because they know how to ride, but those old nags know where to go and what to do anyway.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

30 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The reason i ask is because we are going from the Gage to Boquillas in the AM, then starting a raft trip on the Rio and have to be in Terlingua by 115 so need to plan accordingly. Not worried about the walk or security or mexico or whatever. Just curious

that's a lot to do by 1:15, and pushing it if you ask me.  2 hrs from marathon to boquillas canyon.  1-2 hrs from your car across the river, kicking around the village, then back to your car.  2 hrs from boquillas to terlingua.  you'd need to leave your hotel at 6 am that morning at the latest.

12 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

that's a lot to do by 1:15, and pushing it if you ask me.  2 hrs from marathon to boquillas canyon.  1-2 hrs from your car across the river, kicking around the village, then back to your car.  2 hrs from boquillas to terlingua.  you'd need to leave your hotel at 6 am that morning at the latest.

Its 1.5 hrs from gage to the parking lot

its just over an hour from parking lot to big bend river tours parking lot

not planning on spending over 1-1.3 hrs in boquillas

leaving the gage at 8am. We’ll see

46 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The reason i ask is because we are going from the Gage to Boquillas in the AM, then starting a raft trip on the Rio and have to be in Terlingua by 115 so need to plan accordingly. Not worried about the walk or security or mexico or whatever. Just curious

You would actually save time walking as opposed to screwing around with the burros.

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its 1.5 hrs from gage to the parking lot

its just over an hour from parking lot to big bend river tours parking lot

not planning on spending over 1-1.3 hrs in boquillas

leaving the gage at 8am. We’ll see

Seems ambitious. Did those drive times take into account the speed limit in the park is 45?

Also, re-entering the US took awhile the last time we went to Boquillas. You have to go through all the bullshit with your passport/cards and the telephone interview with the Immigration and Customs assholes.

Also, double check the hours/days the crossing is actually open. Its not like your normal border crossing.

• 3 months later...

Here in Marfa.  The St. George is where its at for the area.  Enjoyed a cabana and the pool most of the day and evening until 9pm.  They are reall nervous out here and restaurants have closed.  Liquor store still open.  Enjoyed conversation with some fellow Houstonians and a Dr. from Dallas.  That is until an argument at the whirpool  broke out and the heated verbal war killed the mood for everyone.  Apparently some olds and their old ass son who got in, with masks, didn't take to kind to the two couples who had been there for about an hour, without masks.  After being asked to put masks on the couple told them to kindly go fuck themselves as they couldn't drink with masks on.  Also that  if they were so bothered about getting sick maybe they should not approach a whirpool with people already in it without masks and then get in.  The olds were upset that they just weren't more considerate of others by wearing masks.  Fuck em both for being buzz kills but i side with the couple.

Also I hear Alpine has 22 confirmed cases of Covid and the Big Bend has or will shut back down.

Edited by RollLeft