Horns in the Pros

TheFlagship

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon Belt will be back with the Giants in 2022.

Belt, the first baseman and holdover from Giants championship teams, accepted the club’s $18.4 million qualifying offer to return next season, according to the MLB players’ association.   Belt is now the Giants’ longest-tenured player, after Posey’s exit, and a popular figure.    The decision does not rule out the Giants and Belt discussing a longer deal.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/giants/article/Giants-Brandon-Belt-accepts-qualifying-offer-16629862.php

image.jpeg.e0734258e3b071bb99ef8478ac820511.jpegimage.jpeg.04a2b0613b6d650e2bfc25d80fefcc5f.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw this in today's AAS.     Cooper and Caleb on the way.

Heard from John Danks that son Jordan, the former Texas outfielder who played 184 games with the White Sox, is a realtor, a baseball coach and a cadet in the Pflugerville Fire Department, a lifelong goal of his. Jordan lives near Taylor with wife Ashley and sons Cooper, 8, and Caleb, 6, along with horses, donkeys and chickens

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2022/01/26/cowboys-should-pull-off-big-trade-lure-sean-payton-dallas/9215770002/

• 1 month later...

Ain’t done yet. 

The White Sox recently agreed to a minor league contract with outfielder Mark Payton, according to his transactions log at MLB.com. He made his first Spring Training appearance with the Sox yesterday.

A Chicago-area native, Payton was selected by the Yankees out of the University of Texas in the 2014 draft. He spent five years in the New York organization before landing with the A’s in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft. After a very strong Triple-A campaign with Oakland in 2019, the Reds selected Payton in the big league phase of the Rule 5 draft the following winter. He didn’t stick with the MLB club and was returned to Oakland, but the A’s traded him back to Cincinnati for cash not long after.

Payton eventually got a big league call from the Reds late in the 2020 season. He played in eight games and logged action in 24 contests last year before being designated for assignment in July. Cincinnati traded him to the Mets, and he spent the rest of the season with New York’s Triple-A affiliate. Despite putting up an impressive .305/.385/.477 line with Syracuse, Payton was never recalled to the majors and non-tendered after the season.

The 30-year-old only has 44 big league plate appearances under his belt. He’s a career .297/.371/.505 hitter in more than 1300 Triple-A plate appearances. He’s only played the corner outfield in the majors but has a fair bit of experience at all three outfield spots in the minors. Payton adds some left-handed hitting depth to the high levels in the Chicago system.

Also, Workman was reassigned to Rangers’ minor league camp. 

Belt has really put together a solid career in SF. He's now the longest tenured Giant and somewhat of a fan favorite. 

Not sure I've ever seen a current player on the team throw out the opening day ceremonial pitch before

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On 9/29/2021 at 9:08 PM, Had Enough said:

I’d be pleased with an MLB 2025 reunion.

No idea who Madden even plays right now.

Just let it happen.

Tigers. But man, looking back on it. That 2020 season would’ve been a blast with who we had on staff. Add Zubia, Faltine, Kennedy, Silas, Ellis, healthy DJ, Hodo, Williams, Powell and even lance Ford could’ve given us some solid innings. That’s the real tragedy of Covid…..

5 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Braves lead Washington 10-1 after 4 with Elder pitching very well (only 47 pitches).

Earning praise from the Nats TV crew for poise and command of all of his pitches.  One said it was refreshing to watch a youngster “pitch” unlike so many these days who try only to overpower hitters.   🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

Tigers. But man, looking back on it. That 2020 season would’ve been a blast with who we had on staff. Add Zubia, Faltine, Kennedy, Silas, Ellis, healthy DJ, Hodo, Williams, Powell and even lance Ford could’ve given us some solid innings. That’s the real tragedy of Covid…..

You went back in time for this one. I had to go back to reread.

I don’t think 14-3 or whatever it was was luck.

Pierce annoys me some, but he’s proven quite a bit. And I think some of his annoying decisions are because he’s trying different things in an attempt to find what works.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You went back in time for this one. I had to go back to reread.

I don’t think 14-3 or whatever it was was luck.

Pierce annoys me some, but he’s proven quite a bit. And I think some of his annoying decisions are because he’s trying different things in an attempt to find what works.

Yeah I think we’re gonna have to deal with those annoyances cause every year except 2019, we were playing our best ball come May. Looks like we’re headed that direction again. Just the way he is. How do you think we got Parker Joe, Sawyer and McGuire to be the back end of our bullpen? Pierce kept giving em shots and they settled in. Take notes Southard, Eckhardt and Cobb 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Elder outta gas after 5.2.  Gave up back-to-back jacks followed by a ground rule 2B.  Braves 11-3.

Regardless of an abrupt ending, Bryce done good. 🤘

That he did !    5.2/6H/3ER/0 BB/4K's

Great in game interview with his parents.    University of Texas Baseball often mentioned by announcers and his parents.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Hell, we set a fucking record tonight. 

44 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

And he only faced a single batter.

… and I missed it!  Icing my remote thumb, this morning, from last night … Horns, Caps, O’s, Nats, Curse of Oak Island … and Milner threw his winning 5 pitches while I was chasing channels.  wtf …

Pittsburg was using the all staff approach, lost 3-1 to Brewers.   Peters went 2 innings, no runs, hits, 1 BB.

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates’ starters have had a problem, well, starting. In seemingly every game, Pittsburgh has been behind the eight ball. That formula wasn’t sustainable. Something needed to change. So, a change was made.

For the first time this season, manager Derek Shelton employed an opener. Left-hander Dillon Peters was called on for the task. Bryse Wilson was originally scheduled to start, but the right-hander would follow Peters out of the bullpen instead. Although the Pirates lost to the Brewers, 3-1, on Wednesday at PNC Park, it’s hard to deny that the formula worked as desired.

“Dillon threw the ball well, Bryse threw the ball well,” Shelton said. “We got all the situations we wanted. We just didn’t win the game.”

'Opener' strategy effective for Peters, Wilson (mlb.com)

• 1 month later...