B12 after 1/2 a season

Magus Ossis

Texas has a lot of growing up to do still to accomplish the goals they’ve set. The good news is everyone on the team I heard speak on LHN yesterday is bought in to working each week independently of the last. We will have taken the next step in becoming the best team in the conference if we don’t come out hungover next week and simply dominate Baylor like we probably should. Go into the bye 6-1 and you start sniffing the top 6 in the AP, top 10 coaches imo. Gonna be fun to see how we respond.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Any of OU, UT, or WVU are in the playoffs if they win out.

Frankly, I don’t see anyone beating OU or UT until they meet again in the XII CCG.  Winner is in.  Period.

I wish.  Bama/Georgia, Clemson, ND, and Ohio State have good chances of winning out and they will be in.

If UT wins out, we will be sitting at 5 or 6 (although it'll put more pressure on ESPN to push for 8 teams).

Only B12 team with a chance is WVU if they run the table, and they would still need one of Bama/Georgia, Clemson, ND, or Ohio State losing.

We're going to butt fuck the shit teams and irritate the hell out of the good ones left on our schedule.  I predict wins vs Tech, Baylor, KU, and K State, and losses to WVU and UT.

I wouldn’t get too excited about your offense and this QB until they play something close to a FBS defense. We have a way of making average QBs look great.

10 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I wouldn’t get too excited about your offense and this QB until they play something close to a FBS defense. We have a way of making average QBs look great.

None of the teams I picked us to beat have a defense that's any better than yours.

It's nice to be out over our skis a bit, but I think there's basically no way we win out. We're playing much better but the Big 12 is a lot better conference than most people think. We have another tough 4 game stretch coming up after Baylor and at some point a really bad performance is going to pop up with a team still coming together for a new coach. I honestly think we finish 9-3 and we will see if that gets us into the title game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's nice to be out over our skis a bit, but I think there's basically no way we win out. We're playing much better but the Big 12 is a lot better conference than most people think. We have another tough 4 game stretch coming up after Baylor and at some point a really bad performance is going to pop up with a team still coming together for a new coach. I honestly think we finish 9-3 and we will see if that gets us into the title game.

West Virginia is the only team with a good chance at beating you guys in the regular season, IMO.  I think we can muck it up and make a game of it, but our offense, even looking much better last week, isn't where it needs to be to get points on your D.

Beating OU a second time is the biggest obstacle for UT.  With Mike Stoops gone, they might actually be playing good defense by then.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

24 minutes ago, MyWifeIsBi.....Polar said:

Dominated TCU? We must have watched a different game. The only domination was the +4 in turnovers. Every other stat was basically even.

31-16 isn’t basically even, dumbass. That’s the only stat that matters. 

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

West Virginia is the only team with a good chance at beating you guys in the regular season, IMO.  I think we can muck it up and make a game of it, but our offense, even looking much better last week, isn't where it needs to be to get points on your D.

Beating OU a second time is the biggest obstacle for UT.  With Mike Stoops gone, they might actually be playing good defense by then.

While I appreciate the sentiment, plenty of the teams on the schedule can beat us. Well...probably not Kansas.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

While I appreciate the sentiment, plenty of the teams on the schedule can beat us. Well...probably not Kansas.

I get it.  We CAN beat you.  I just don't see it happening.  OK State CAN beat you, same thing.

If you guys start playing down to competition again, you'll get bit.  It seems like Herman has this team focused though.  Pre-season I saw our game as a toss up, and right now I'd say it's 75-80% likely win for UT at a minimum.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I get it.  We CAN beat you.  I just don't see it happening.  OK State CAN beat you, same thing.

If you guys start playing down to competition again, you'll get bit.  It seems like Herman has this team focused though.  Pre-season I saw our game as a toss up, and right now I'd say it's 75-80% likely win for UT at a minimum.

You act like we didn't play down to the competition just 9 days ago.

I think this week's game against Baylor is actually pretty important. Herman needs to show that he's learned how to prepare his team to beat inferior competition soundly. If we play well then we can beat Baylor by 20. If we play badly we could actually lose. This team isn't good enough to have off weeks against this conference. Our good weeks are really good and we can play with and beat almost anyone. But we have to be consistently good.

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our defense (especially our line) was super worn out at the end of the game.  Shouldn't be a problem in December, though, because Coburn, Ojomo, Carson, Williams, etc. can all help spell our DL.

32 minutes ago, MyWifeIsBi.....Polar said:

Dominated TCU? We must have watched a different game. The only domination was the +4 in turnovers. Every other stat was basically even.

Watch the game or look at the stats?

We made their QB give up toward the end, the defense was stopping everything except a few double moves, the offense could drive it and run it at will against that TCU defense. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

You act like we didn't play down to the competition just 9 days ago.

I think this week's game against Baylor is actually pretty important. Herman needs to show that he's learned how to prepare his team to beat inferior competition soundly. If we play well then we can beat Baylor by 20. If we play badly we could actually lose. This team isn't good enough to have off weeks against this conference. Our good weeks are really good and we can play with and beat almost anyone. But we have to be consistently good.

I hope some of this is the coaching and play calling. I know mensa thinks momentum is fake, but when you are up on an opponent, you don't stop throwing to all these awesome receivers. You don't just run it up the gut and try to kill clock, you continue to try to drive down the field and score Touchdowns. The coaches keep saying it's their fault they get conservative and let the other team back into the game, well stop doing that shit. The goal of the offense isn't to score one point more than the other team, the goal of the offense is to score touchdowns.

43 minutes ago, MyWifeIsBi.....Polar said:

The Frog QBs were often completely befuddled by the coverages, which is why they completed only 50% of their passes.  That's pretty awful in an era with a lot of bubble screens, stop routes and swing passes.  TCU couldn't even score 1 TD without blatant offensive PI. 

17 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I hope some of this is the coaching and play calling. I know mensa thinks momentum is fake, but when you are up on an opponent, you don't stop throwing to all these awesome receivers. You don't just run it up the gut and try to kill clock, you continue to try to drive down the field and score Touchdowns. The coaches keep saying it's their fault they get conservative and let the other team back into the game, well stop doing that shit. The goal of the offense isn't to score one point more than the other team, the goal of the offense is to score touchdowns.

I don't think he believes momentum is fake.  But it is something that is created by the actions of the players on the field.  The players can change the momentum at any time by their own choices and actions.  He doesn't want them to believe it's some sort of outside force like destiny.  I think he just stated it badly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I cringed when he said that it was. Fuck that noise, Tom. You're an asshole. We know this. Everyone knows this. As you can see, most of us have come to accept and embrace it. Just embrace your assholeishness and take it to 11 on gamedays.

Where I'm at. This team is obviously good but not 9-0 through a P5 round robin with a couple road tests left and a target on its back good. I think WVU and @Pokes is a split and there's the potential for an egg laying at Tech or this week against Baylor. Even 7-2 is a pretty good shot at the CCG based on tiebreakers and 8-1 would be a certainty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's unfortunate the WVU and NC St game was cancelled.  That could have helped WVU SOS and the perception of them and the conf as a whole. 

If UT is going to make the CFP we need to be cheering hard for the Trojans every week. Especially when they play the Domers.  

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

None of the teams I picked us to beat have a defense that's any better than yours.

9 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

That's not possible.  Every defense is better than ours.  

It's fucking weird.  We have players on defense and have played some great games over the years.  Our problem seems to be a complete inability to adjust to anything different.  ISU threw something out there that nobody had seen and we were helpless to adjust.  It's why backup and third string QB's always carve us up.  Because the offense changes around the new QB and our defense becomes a deer in the headlights.   Offensive line is equally problematic, but we still scored 42 fucking points against ISU.  That should be enough to win.

I predict our defense will have a few decent games and several more shit games.  I thought we were capable of 9 wins after beating Boise, but I think we're 7 wins at best.  We just need two more to make a bowl and that may be good enough to get this fucking year over with.  Who we beat and who we lose to is a tossup.  I can see us beating TCU or WVU and losing to Baylor.  That's just the way its gonna be this year.  But I'll pretty much predict a loss every game knowing that we will somehow pull a few wins out of our ass to get to 6-7 wins.   

Edited by 'stache

8 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

That's not possible.  Every defense is better than ours.  

I'm not sure if you're mocking your own fanbase's overreaction, or this is your actual belief.  You'll beat Baylor and KSU, at least.  Probably upset someone too.  A drop off from your recent standards, but you guys aren't quite to "reload" territory yet, as a program.

6 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

It's unfortunate the WVU and NC St game was cancelled.  That could have helped WVU SOS and the perception of them and the conf as a whole. 

If UT is going to make the CFP we need to be cheering hard for the Trojans every week. Especially when they play the Domers.  

I know Iowa State found some division II school to fill in for their cancelled game. I guess WVU is just going to go with a 11 game schedule?

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We play AT Tech and play AT Stillwater.

Both of those games are going to be difficult.

Iowa state is good. You kow that. Don't play coy. You guys looked even better w/ your frosh qb. He was down right salty man.

And West Virginia's defense is WAYYYY better than I ever thought they could be this year. Didn't they have like 2 DL guys on scholarship at one pt this offseason before getting some transfers in?

They played down to Kansas and turned it over wayyyy too much on offense. They overlooked the Jayhawks, f'd around, and still came out way ahead. As long as Grier stays healthy (example A being the Texas game last year), WVU can beat Texas. 

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know Iowa State found some division II school to fill in for their cancelled game. I guess WVU is just going to go with a 11 game schedule?

NC St rescheduled with ECU  (were playing VT)

WVU could schedule a game with VT but would have to be week AFTER B12 title game as they could be playing in it. 

I'm not sure if you're mocking your own fanbase's overreaction, or this is your actual belief.  You'll beat Baylor and KSU, at least.  Probably upset someone too.  A drop off from your recent standards, but you guys aren't quite to "reload" territory yet, as a program.

No I’m serious. I’m pretty sure this is Gundy’s worst team in the last decade. When you get blown out at home by TT and physically pushed around by ISU at home, I don’t think it’s overreacting. I’ll be shocked if we make a bowl. This week at KSU will tell us a lot. We’ll see. I’m at peace with what this season is. Just hoping this is a blip on the radar season and not the beginning of a decline back to bottom three finishes in conference. Our coaches need to work harder for sure.

8 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

NC St rescheduled with ECU  (were playing VT)

WVU could schedule a game with VT but would have to be week AFTER B12 title game as they could be playing in it. 

West Virginia has a bye on 10/20. So does Iowa State. North Carolina State has a bye on 10/13.

If people actually cared enough to pay attention they should have moved the WVU/ISU game to 10/20 so that WVU and NCSU could make up their game on 10/13.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

We play AT Tech and play AT Stillwater.

Both of those games are going to be difficult.

Iowa state is good. You kow that. Don't play coy. You guys looked even better w/ your frosh qb. He was down right salty man.

And West Virginia's defense is WAYYYY better than I ever thought they could be this year. Didn't they have like 2 DL guys on scholarship at one pt this offseason before getting some transfers in?

They played down to Kansas and turned it over wayyyy too much on offense. They overlooked the Jayhawks, f'd around, and still came out way ahead. As long as Grier stays healthy (example A being the Texas game last year), WVU can beat Texas. 

I'm not sold on the QB yet.  I loved what I saw, but every single guy that's played QB for us over the past 6-7 years looked like the second coming in their initial action, only to regress to the mean after a few games.

I've just been burned too many times thinking "we finally have a QB!"

If what we saw offensively on Saturday is for real, we're going to make life tough for you, but I'm not yet convinced of that.

12 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

No I’m serious. I’m pretty sure this is Gundy’s worst team in the last decade. When you get blown out at home by TT and physically pushed around by ISU at home, I don’t think it’s overreacting. I’ll be shocked if we make a bowl. This week at KSU will tell us a lot. We’ll see. I’m at peace with what this season is. Just hoping this is a blip on the radar season and not the beginning of a decline back to bottom three finishes in conference. Our coaches need to work harder for sure.

I don't disagree that this is Gundy's worst of the past decade, but he hasn't had a truly bad team since like '05ish.

I think you're in a rebuilding year, but will still win 6-7 games.  Given your program's history, for that to be your basement ain't bad.

Also, we've pushed you around for 85% of the game, the last 3 times we've played.  Your skill guys (and our 3rd down chokes) ended up being too much in the end, but it's not like you've been running a train on us for the past half a decade.

57 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I don't think he believes momentum is fake.  But it is something that is created by the actions of the players on the field.  The players can change the momentum at any time by their own choices and actions.  He doesn't want them to believe it's some sort of outside force like destiny.  I think he just stated it badly.

This is how you keep focus with a bunch men under 22 years of age that has had success and the media is taking notice.  

Texas is in decent shape having already beaten two top tier teams in TCU and OU so they have those tiebreakers if needed.  If they can beat West Virginia and then suffer zero or one conference loss later on, they really should get in no problem to the championship game.

Halfway mark some basic stats to ponder -- don't tell the whole story at all as variables are different year to year, but interesting...

Auburn last year: 4.9 yards per rush (#32), 223.8 YPG (#21)

Auburn this year so far: 3.1 yards per rush (#117), 110.8 YPG (#111)

Texas rushing last year: 3.6 yards per rush (#107), 140.0 yards per game (#93)

Texas rushing this year so far: 3.9 yards per rush (#87), 157.8 yards per game (#76)

Texas defense: 366.6 yards per game (#39) vs 366.3 yards per game so far this year (#44)

5.0 yards per play (# 32) vs 5.4 yards per play this year (#61)

Third down % rate of 27.14% (# 3) vs 34.88% this year (# 31)

TO Margin of 0.6 (#22) vs 0.8 this year (#19)

Edited by UTDD

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't disagree that this is Gundy's worst of the past decade, but he hasn't had a truly bad team since like '05ish.

I think you're in a rebuilding year, but will still win 6-7 games.  Given your program's history, for that to be your basement ain't bad.

Also, we've pushed you around for 85% of the game, the last 3 times we've played.  Your skill guys (and our 3rd down chokes) ended up being too much in the end, but it's not like you've been running a train on us for the past half a decade.

Something about this team feels different.  Probably the lack of a game changer at QB and the absolutely atrocious line.  I don't expect that to be fixed this year so I'm just hoping we can fix those two things by next season.   We're used to terrible defenses, so that just needs to improve that to the point where it's only disgraceful.   

50 minutes ago, MyWifeIsBi.....Polar said:

K.  Thanks for clarification champ. 

Nobody was questioning "the only stat" that matters. He said TCU was dominated. He was wrong. 

They were dominated. You’re wrong. Anyone who watched the game had no question.