Collin Johnson's toughness

hookem48

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Chad said:

Remember prior to the 2019 season when CJ was virtually a lock to be selected in the 1st round? Yeah, that all changed. How far does he slide? 5th round?

Might.

Curious what teams are the best situation for Collin to both make their roster and best utilize his talents??

Bad luck with the injuries during the season and then the coronavirus shutting down workouts. He would have impressed at the Pro Day and team workouts to at least go in round 3. When he wasn't healthy early in the season and things weren't looking good, I said he should consider taking a redshirt. Coming back in 2020 fully healthy with a senior QB would have been easy to put up big numbers. He would have been an older prospect but if you're good enough, teams won't care (see Calvin Ridley drafted in the 1st round as a 24 yr old)

Remember prior to the 2019 season when CJ was virtually a lock to be selected in the 1st round? Yeah, that all changed. How far does he slide? 5th round?
He was never, ever a lock to be in the 1st round. He is 6'6" and runs a 4.6ish and can't separate from defenders. Great college player though.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:
24 minutes ago, Chad said:

He was never, ever a lock to be in the 1st round. He is 6'6" and runs a 4.6ish and can't separate from defenders. Great college player though.

CJ was a 1st rounder in numerous mock drafts after a productive Junior season and Walter football had him listed as one of the top 5 receivers before the season began. You can't teach size and CJ had it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft#slide-21

Cross posting for an fyi... 149 draft picks remain on Saturday. Collin likely in 4th Rd, and Malcolm in 6th or 7th Rd

Best Players Still Available for Final Day of 2020 NFL Draft

"Rankings of final 149 Big Board Prospects"

25. Collin Johnson, WR, Texas (SR, 6' 6", 222 pounds)

106. Malcolm Roach, IDL, Texas (SR, 6' 2", 297 pounds)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/25/best-prospects-still-available-day-3-2020-nfl-draft

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Cross posting for an fyi... 149 draft picks remain on Saturday. Collin likely in 4th Rd, and Malcolm in 6th or 7th Rd

Best Players Still Available for Final Day of 2020 NFL Draft

"Rankings of final 149 Big Board Prospects"

25. Collin Johnson, WR, Texas (SR, 6' 6", 222 pounds)

106. Malcolm Roach, IDL, Texas (SR, 6' 2", 297 pounds)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/25/best-prospects-still-available-day-3-2020-nfl-draft

How could you miss,

31. Brandon Jones, S, Texas (SR, 5' 11", 198 pounds)

9 hours ago, Chad said:

I don’t remember that because that never the case. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t remember that because that never the case. 

I know we're not talking high-end content here, but I do have a mag - perhaps Lindy's or Athlon's - that had CJ as a Top 15 pick heading into his soph or junior season.  I remember thinking, "Well, shit.  He's gone early".  

9 hours ago, Juke_Em said:

Bad luck with the injuries during the season and then the coronavirus shutting down workouts. He would have impressed at the Pro Day and team workouts to at least go in round 3. When he wasn't healthy early in the season and things weren't looking good, I said he should consider taking a redshirt. Coming back in 2020 fully healthy with a senior QB would have been easy to put up big numbers. He would have been an older prospect but if you're good enough, teams won't care (see Calvin Ridley drafted in the 1st round as a 24 yr old)

He’s never been good enough to be a first rounder, and he wouldnt have impressed at the pro day. lol. He’s slow. Today’s NFL doesn’t value big, slow receivers. He’s also soft and hasn’t developed much since he got here. 

9 hours ago, Chad said:

CJ was a 1st rounder in numerous mock drafts after a productive Junior season and Walter football had him listed as one of the top 5 receivers before the season began. You can't teach size and CJ had it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft#slide-21

Those early mock drafts are a joke. The writers don’t put any effort into them and they always change drastically once people get serious about the next draft. CJ was never ever going to be a first rounder. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

NFL doesn't care about big receivers anymore. They want quick twitch guys that can generate YAC. Allen Lazard went undrafted despite being 6'5 and running a 4.48 forty, with better numbers than Collin Johnson. 

Good point.

All of the stuff I've read about Day 3 says "Collin Johnson is a potential red zone target."

Sounds like the NFL sees him in a more limited fashion that way. 

And I would have been surprised a year ago to see DD drafted ahead of him, but again, DD is a YAC guy and CJ is not. 

Makes sense. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...