PJ Tucker

blacklab

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Lol. Might as well just start the next season if he goes to the Nets. 

He’s been pretty bad this year so far. I tend to think it’s because he’s obviously wanted out for a while but there’s definitely some potential that he’s washed. That said, he’s playing like 30 mins a night which he won’t have to wherever he goes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s been pretty bad this year so far. I tend to think it’s because he’s obviously wanted out for a while but there’s definitely some potential that he’s washed. That said, he’s playing like 30 mins a night which he won’t have to wherever he goes. 

The better players he has around him the better he is as a piece. If he's having to work for his offense or do too much on D he's not going to be as good.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i was going through some old photos yesterday and came across this one from the 04 or 05 Relays:

B2917C2D-7551-4033-BE2C-C97F2FD45866.jpeg

in the words of Happy Gilmore, "Look at that monster." I'm 6'1" and (at that time) 215 lbs. so easy to forget how massive PJ actually is when you only see him surrounded by guys like Lopez, Capela, and Giannis. hope he gets himself a ring here soon. Go Bucks. Go PJ. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

PJ is huge. I was in Alief watching a friend's youth league team play and PJ's son was on the team and PJ was in attendance. 

He looked damn near 6'7 when I shook his big ass hand. /csb

Edited by Atticus

PJ tucker is one of my favorite recruiting stories because it clued me in to how knowledgeable North Carolina fans in that state were about high school basketball recruits (football is a different story).  Even on the net.

Pretty much without fail they all said we were getting a smart junkyard dog basketball player that while a little undersized for his position, their own schools were making a mistake not recruiting. That Barnes knew what he was doing. And they were totally right. 

As great as he was at UT, I figured he would have at best a 5 to 6 year mediocre NBA career. And look at him now. Constantly underestimated.

• Hook 'Em 2

the Wake Forest game in 2004 was one of the more badass experiences i've had at the FEC, and there have been many. this one is probably top 10 all time for me. first off, both Ced and DJ had announced that they were returning for their senior seasons earlier that day, and they were in the building. i met both of them, thanked them, and they were cool and appreciative. also ran into Travis Mays at that game. it was a sellout and the stars were out, and the atmosphere was off the chain.

This was the Wake team with Chris Paul and Josh Howard, and Wake was an ACC/NC school that declined to recruit PJ. Wake was #3 and we were #16. PJ goes 9-15 from the field, scores 21 and 7 with 2 ast and a steal in 26 minutes, and finishes off the game with an emphatic breakaway dunk. that was PJ's real coming out party at Texas, and put everyone on notice as to what type of player he was. the only shitty part of the night was some stupid fucking cockass who kept calling the ushers on me because my friend and i were standing up during the game. other than that fucking loser who should've stayed home, the night was a 10/10, and it marked the arrival of PJ. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

Makes me feel proud and old as shit that on the same night 36 year old PJ Tucker is winning a title and 38 year old Cat Osterman is winning a game as starting pitcher in the olympics. Outside of VY they were the stars on campus when I got to UT. 

congrats PJ; an OG junkyard dog that has evolved to the modern NBA and looks like a great teammate as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

he's also created quite the following with NBA fans. older fans appreciate his toughness, his tenacity, his story, his work ethic; younger fans know him as the sneaker GOD, plus he has the respect of his NBA peers. he is very much established as something more than just an NBA player- maybe not quite a star, not based on his basketball exploits alone- but he has really made a name for himself, and he looks to have a ton of cool future opportunities awaiting him whenever his playing days are over.

PJ is easily one of my all time favorite Longhorns, and i'm so happy for him to have won an NBA title. i remember when he was playing in Israel and a bomb exploded on the court during one of his games. the guy literally went halfway around the world to acquire a three point shot and to improve his game, and tonight this man's hard work paid off with PJ reaching the pinnacle of the sport. Helluva nice guy too. Hook em PJ!! 🤘🏼 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

The dude could have gone any or done anything he wanted after “academic issues” following his freshman year.

But damn if he didn’t go totally against the grain and nutted up and did whatever it took to come back to school and play.

Nothing short of ultimate respect since then…absolutely thrilled he got his ring

• Hook 'Em 4

• 4 weeks later...

I want to give some quick kudos to Russ Shepard who recruited PJ Tucker. 

Just to be clear, it wasn't just Tucker being an undersized post player that kept the biggies from recruiting him. He had some academic eligibility issues. Which ended up manifesting on campus his freshman year. Russ Shepard helped get him classified as having a learning disability (something Texas basketball did regularly with high school players they were recruiting) and that helped Tucker get the score he needed on the SAT (untimed test for one thing). 

He's had an impressive NBA career. Sure wish he would have stayed one more season. Kevin Durant came to campus and saw all the talent on that team. He thought for sure they could win a championship when he was a freshman. Then Gibson, Tucker, and Aldridge opted for the NBA and Mike Williams transferred. That 2006 team could have used Tucker in the worst way.

I don’t want to date myself, but I had a math class with PJ and LaMarcus. It was a Pick-a-Prof special, show up and at worst make a B. 

PJ showed up 45 minutes late for a mid-term exam, and I knew the other shoe would drop soon. He went on academic suspension a week later. 

That said, I’ve always loved his game and his journey. I’m happy to see him get a ring. I wish he did as a Rocket, but I’m happy for him. Hook ‘Em.