Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

Just finished Mobile.  Really different British cop/crime four part miniseries.  Kind of confusing at first until you realize they are showing the same incidents through different people's perspective.

Aussie made City Homicide is also really good also.  I watch both with subtitles, as some accent variants can be difficult to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Been watching The Thick of It, a British comedy on Britbox, but noticed that it's on Amazon Prime, also.  Produced and written (with others) by the guy HBO had develop and write VEEP.  Great satire on government incompetence and self protection.  I watch with subtitles to miss less.  Watch it after the kids go to bed - the language is strongest I've heard on any TV show.

Peter Capaldi (one of the many Dr. Whos) is great as Malcolm.  What an asshole.

• Like 2

Oh man, “The Thick of It” is AMAZING.

It came before Veep and is from the same creator.

Best insults and cursing on any television show ever.

There’s a movie with the same characters where they travel to the USA and interact with American politics called “In The Loop” that’s damn funny too.

• 2 weeks later...

James May: Our Man in Japan. If you like May, you'll like this. One thing I found entertaining was when travelling thru Fukushima he looked at an abandoned car, then opened the door. He suddenly realized he touched a highly contaminated object then closed the door and wiped his hand off on his pants. Solid decontamination there, mate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 episodes into the hunters and it's solid so far. 

--------------

Ended up finishing it this weekend. Not really a fan.  Fit the bill with a lot of these types of shows... First couple episodes are really good, then they stall in the middle because they aren't really sure what they want to do and finally they rush to get way too much done in the last episode but make sure they leave it open for a second season. Blah. 

Edited by pops
  • Like 1

Just watched Bottled Up, a documentary about the Dublin Dr. Pepper plant and its dispute with corporate Dr.  Pepper.  Interesting subject if you're into that but within first few minutes it told how one of the owners of the plant went to Europe to fight in world war 2.  It showed stock European theater battle footage, complete with gunfire and artillery sounds and a helpful subtitle in big block letters that says "1946 Germany".

Seriously, who is editing this thing?

On 2/28/2020 at 11:12 PM, pyrohornIII said:

Anybody else having issues getting Prime to stream?   I get the menus fine, but then it never buffers up the shows.   Netflix works fine.   Just had my broadband line repaired, so pretty sure it's not that.

Restart your device. That usually clears it up for me.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

For Ricky Gervais fans, he and Stephen Merchant have one on Amazon called Life's Too Short.  Centered around British dwarf Warwick Davis, but has a real Gervais sense of humor to it.  Unfortunately, only seven thirty minute episodes.

Amazon Prime is lacking in both comedic and 30-minute options, so this is good for that, even if it is a short series.  Everything coming out right now seems to be crime, sci-fi, spy, or some combo.  I could use a few quality lighthearted options now and then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched '71.  Highly recommend.   I'd post the trailer but it's half the movie, so not going to ruin it.  It's a British version of Black Hawk Down, only in Ireland and minus all the heavy artillery.     

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 7:42 AM, abuelo gringo said:

For Ricky Gervais fans, he and Stephen Merchant have one on Amazon called Life's Too Short.  Centered around British dwarf Warwick Davis, but has a real Gervais sense of humor to it.  Unfortunately, only seven thirty minute episodes.

Pretty much just the Liam Neeson scene is worth it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoffaJimmy said:

Anybody else watching or watched ZeroZeroZero? 

Italian cartel and cocaine? How can it not be good?

Giving it a shot-

Zero, Zero, Zero is awesome start to end.  I could not recommend it more if you are like me and are hungering for more "Narcos".  Like "Narcos" much of the dialogue is in the native language in two of the three simultaneous stories.  I prefer it this way bc it feels more authentic as it gives the more real feeling the you are dropped into the scene as an observer.   The American brother/sister "The Brokers" is the weakest link, but is still intense much of the time.  You will have to get used to the flashback convention that is used to tie each story that rotates between the 3 simultaneous stories of "The Buyers" (Italian Mob), "The Sellers" Mexican Cartel), and "The Brokers" (New orleans shipping family) that continually rotate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Anyone else have severe quality issues with Amazon streaming?  JFC.  First few episodes of Bosch are great and then all of a sudden it's like they filmed it on the 70s under water.  I can't even watch it.

No, I had no problems.