Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

King of Comedy. Scorcese movie that doesn't get enough respect. Ahead of it's time. DeNiro's character is eerily similar to Travis Bickle, IMO. Awkward loner living in a fantasy. Makes a good double-feature with "After Hours".

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

King of Comedy. Scorcese movie that doesn't get enough respect. Ahead of it's time. DeNiro's character is eerily similar to Travis Bickle, IMO. Awkward loner living in a fantasy. Makes a good double-feature with "After Hours".

Eerily similar, it's the same actor playing the same character for the same director 6 years later

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I enjoyed this. 

saw it on a whim and really liked it as well. knew nothing about the back story but went and looked back afterwards and it was even more funny. francos did a great job, IMO

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Have we talked about the new Jack Ryan series coming out in August? 

Looks interesting.

I'm looking forward to it. The trailer has me intrigued. But what the hell happened to Abbie Cornish? She used to be so hot. She's only 35 years old and she looks so over the hill. Rene Russo was tearing it up when she was 10 years older.

So, I just started Justified.  Only 3 episodes in.  I get that it has violence and language, but IMO, it very much has the feel of a CBS/ABC network cop show.  How wrong am I?

Stick with it. You don’t know me, but I promise it gets better. First few episodes of season 1 were like what you said. But eventually it switched to season-long story arcs that were more entertaining which were embedded in a series-long story line.
Walter Goggins is also fantastic.
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

So, I just started Justified.  Only 3 episodes in.  I get that it has violence and language, but IMO, it very much has the feel of a CBS/ABC network cop show.  How wrong am I?

I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong, but you're not right 😀.  I think the characters are really well done, with real depth.  You're early in the show, but the Raylan and Boyd characters are really good and well-acted. I also think the show captures the reality of eastern Kentucky and the desperation of the coal mining towns. 

On 6/12/2018 at 2:38 PM, Don Johnson said:

As others have said, it starts out that way but becomes more serialized toward the end of Season 1.  From Season 2 onward, there are season long story arcs for every season.  Season 2 is probably my favorite.

Goliath: S2

Not bad but every key witness getting killed off 5 minutes before they are going to testify gets really old. Or members of his team spilling key evidence to a double agent at exactly the wrong time. 

The same thing happened in season 1. 

Mark Duplass’ character is terrifying and well done. 

• Fuck You 3

Michigan All or Nothing
Ended up being nothing.
Jim Harbaugh can't put together a coherent sentence.
His dad (Jack), even at his age, will convince you to run through the wall for your team. Very impressive.
All of their quarterbacks are betas.

Justified
As stated, it changed quite a bit in Season 2, and stayed that way to the end.
Season 2 is the best season. ("It was already in the glass.")
Yeah the show may have overstayed its welcome, but the finale will make you cry. ("We dug coal together.")

I'm 30 min into Cartel Land. Very good.

goliath season 2

apologies in advance, this is gonna be long and shitty, because binge'd over the weekend...

i thought it had occasional decent moments, but really uneven writing, lack of proper story setup, an absence of necessary character development, and in my opinion, a pretty unsatisfying resolution.  no significant twists either, which it really needed (any 8 episode binge type show needs some twists and turns).  a lot of unnecessary weirdness that wasn't properly explained or paid off.

bbt is fine, because that's who he is, but this season wasn't as much about him, as the case was settled in episode 5 (i think?).  zero courtroom shit, which is where he's awesome (and his character used to be the man).  mcbride seemed to be onto what was happening pretty quickly, it was just about how to get it resolved.  his move is typically just to show up sitting at someone's house.  seems like eventually that would get you disbarred, but whatevs.

it really boiled down to a terrible story foundation.  bunch of people got involved with the cartel and got in over their heads, and shit went bad for them.  something i've seen dozens of times.  oh, and literally the entire season was setup by one single event - the blonde kid pissed off david cross, and "had to go".  so they set him up to get hit, and have it look like collateral damage in a gang related killing.  that way they can set up the 16 year old brother. 

so, um, what exactly did the blonde kid do that was so bad, other than not being punctual?  whatever it was, it didn't make much sense.  anyone who betrayed the cartel got limbs removed.  why not do that to the blonde kid?  nope, instead we're gonna set up a 16 year old.  nobody ever looked into this blonde kid, his background, his cell phone records, why he was at that guy's house to begin with - zero.  

instead, they made it the world against the 16 year old in a really sloppy case - no murder weapon, no fingerprints, we never even hear from the one eyeball witness - the only reason it kept going forward was because literally every single person about to testify got killed right before they were going to testify because of incompetence from law enforcement.

and none of it made sense anyway, because the 16 year old didn't know shit, and certainly wouldn't have started shit on the outside.  if he gets out of prison, all they have is the real killer, who was already dead (and he's the first and only person they actually needed to kill).  no other ties to the cartel, to wyatt, or to the mayor.  i mean shit, cartels i would assume have loose ends like that all the time.  either way, the mayor would've been able to tell them to back off, or the cop could've helped.  but no, they kept forcing the explanation that the 16 year old was everything, and as long as he went down for it or died, everyone was safe. 

there was also such a lack of character setup or development.  we know wyatt is rich, and danny is...well we don't know anything about him except he gets nervous and likes fast food.  for a while i couldn't tell who worked for who, other than he was just " best friends" with the cop.  and david cross, again, no background or depth, just his voice and a silly wig.  little explanation of the locker drops as well, just that creepy valet who stares at the lockers and waits for tips.  it was like i watched every other episode of a show that was well constructed.

also i don't know what was going on in episode 7 (the hostage episode) but there was virtually no payoff from that, and it was terrible and frustrating to watch, especially in a penultimate episode of a season.  i get that people drink too much and blackout, but that can't be the answer to everything weird that happens that they don't feel like explaining.  "who are you, where am i, and how did i get here?"  "wow, you don't remember shit from last night, huh.  just sit the fuck down."  ok cool, that should satisfy me for 40 minutes of tv viewing.

sidenote - the 7th episode was 1:07 and the finale was 41 minutes.  that's a red fucking flag if ever there's been one.

in the end, hardly any bad guys get what's coming to them.  some of them die at the hands of other bad guys.  one (cross) goes to jail, presumably because he can't roll over on anyone else.  bad shit happened to weirdo wyatt, at the hands of another bad guy - but that was super telegraphed.  it got to the point where even my wife could predict what would happen at every turn.  that's not a good thing.  oh, and i thought for sure when down at gabriel's house in mexico, mcbride would see the hook hand guy, remember his daughter's story, and put two and two together, but he doesn't, and nothing ever comes from that whole situation.

and the plot/shot choices/angles tried way too hard at times to be breaking bad, but this ain't that.

d+ or c- at best.  i wouldn't waste your time.  and i enjoyed season 1 and generally like lawyer shows.  this season was not a lawyer show.

• 2 weeks later...

"Memories of a Murder" - Korean flick. I watched it mainly because it was featured in a "Every frame a painting" youtube channel, specifically talking about its blocking - which, yeah, is outstanding.  It was beautifully shot and is funny in parts.  The end...not sure how I feel about the end yet.  Worth a watch.  But Koreans definitely seem to like movies about killing women, and aren't terribly sensitive to the mentally handicapped.

• Like 1

Memories of a Murder was great.

I think Old Boy got me in that genre.

I few years back I ended up watching...

I Saw The Devil - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/i-saw-the-devil

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Chan-Wook Park, 2005) - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/sympathy-for-lady-vengeance

The Chaser (Hong-Jin Na, 2008) - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-chaser-2008

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Chan-Wook Park, 2002) - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/sympathy-for-mr-vengeance

The Man from Nowhere (Jeong-beom Lee, 2010) - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-man-from-nowhere

Some others... I was just looking on http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/15-best-south-korean-crime-films/

There are quite a few on there I have not seen.  I really like the revenge genre.  I need to watch those.  You have to be in a certain mood to "read a movie."

I am watching "John Adams" today.  I haven't seen it in awhile.  Great miniseries from HBO starring Paul Giamatti.

I was debating between this and Lonesome Dove today.  But John Adams won out for the Holiday.

I have been watching "The Patriot" Amazon series.  I am about 5 episodes in.  It is pretty good and has me laughing at absurdities. I saw it was renewed for a second season to come out this year sometime, so that is usually a good sign (except for Goliath season 2 which I thought sucked compared to season 1, but hopefully it gets renewed and gets back to what made season 1 great, which has already been mentioned in this thread and the other one.)

Edited by BNB

19 hours ago, BNB said:

Memories of a Murder was great.

I think Old Boy got me in that genre.

I few years back I ended up watching...

I Saw The Devil - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/i-saw-the-devil

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Chan-Wook Park, 2005) - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/sympathy-for-lady-vengeance

The Chaser (Hong-Jin Na, 2008) - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-chaser-2008

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Chan-Wook Park, 2002) - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/sympathy-for-mr-vengeance

The Man from Nowhere (Jeong-beom Lee, 2010) - https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-man-from-nowhere

Some others... I was just looking on http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/15-best-south-korean-crime-films/

There are quite a few on there I have not seen.  I really like the revenge genre.  I need to watch those.  You have to be in a certain mood to "read a movie."

Yeah, I think over the last 20 years the Koreans have put out some of the most beautiful films in the world.  The vengeance trilogy is just fantastic, but depressing as hell. On your list there, I think Chaser is the only one I haven't seen.  "War of Arrows" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird" are maybe not high cinema as the others, but are a ton of fun.

I was watching some Netflix doc series that had an episode on K-pop, and it discussed how Korean music went from a government controlled industry which was really stiff propaganda, to a more free market (and still really terrible) version.  One of the things they mentioned was the government invested in the arts/entertainment because they saw it as a potential export industry. I think we are seeing the fruits of that investment in the movies they are producing.