Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

More of a PSA since I just found it. Get shorty is a good series that was on epix (I think), anyway S1 was on netflix for a while and that's where I originally found it but they never put the other seasons up.  I just saw last night that prime has 3 seasons up.

It's a really great show with the same idea as the 90's movie (gangsters getting into Hollywood). It's got Chris O'Dowd and Ray Romano. Also every attractive woman so far has eventually gotten naked. 

3 hours ago, seven said:

More of a PSA since I just found it. Get shorty is a good series that was on epix (I think), anyway S1 was on netflix for a while and that's where I originally found it but they never put the other seasons up.  I just saw last night that prime has 3 seasons up.

It's a really great show with the same idea as the 90's movie (gangsters getting into Hollywood). It's got Chris O'Dowd and Ray Romano. Also every attractive woman so far has eventually gotten naked. 

This show is really well done, all 3 seasons are fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

Barry Jenkins (Academy Award winner, a very solid director/writer) has a 9-episode series coming to Prime - The Underground Railroad, based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel .  He directed all 9 episodes.

It's basically a "What If the Underground Railroad was literally a railroad built underground to help smuggle slaves out of slavery."  It's an alt-history, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Watched Phenomenon earlier this week.  Typically don’t watch stuff like it, but I must say it was really well done.  It’s a collection of the most famous UFO stories from the 1940s through the David Fravor and Senator Harry Reid stories the NY Times broke two years ago.  

Harry Reid is one of the main interviewees in the docu and it’s basically him saying, “Yes, all of this is very real and we uncovered much, much more than has yet to be released.”

7 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

through the David Fravor and Senator Harry Reid stories the NY Times broke two years ago.  

Fravor was on the PBS Super Carrier reality TV series or whatever, about the Enterprise.  Been very interesting seeing him in all of this - not the typical Art Bell fan by any means.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, UT_OB1 said:

shock and awe: the story of electricity

We were looking for something semi educational that wasn't animals and tried this.  It has been very enjoyable for me, and it keeps the kids attention pretty well. 

Holy shit this is really good, of course, it's BBC.

Going to watch it with my second grader.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:46 PM, XYZ said:

Anybody watch “Tales from the loop”?

I liked it. Psychological sci-fi that is well conceived and delivered. It’s not the kind of sci-fi for people looking for fast moving action and flashy visual effects. I enjoyed the surreal visuals and having to pay close attention to follow the stories. The visuals made me check out the source artwork, which is very strange and interesting. I enjoyed it, but the stories and series overall left me feeling oddly unsettled. I can’t really put my finger on the cause of that. Hope it gets a second season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

This might be in FB or recruiting, but The Texas 6 is an all-access type show on the Strahm Greyhounds (halfway between Fort Worth and Abilene). Two episodes in, it's mildly entertaining. I can't help compare it to Last Chance U, which has way better characters to choose from given people's ages.

The main weird thing to me is Craig Way calling the games, which I assume was taped after the fact. I always wonder if Last Chance U recorded the radio stuff in post, some of the commentary is just too on-the-nose with the off field narrative. In this case, it's more like it's impossible for Craig to do this

Edited by Bartles
Edit: This is CBS All Access, not Prime

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatching The Detectorists for a second time.  It's still so good. One of my favorite shows.  

If you're looking for a simply brilliant show with heart and humor this is it.  The cast is marvelous.

First 2 seasons are on Prime and the 3rd is on Acorns which you can watch with a free trial.

If the trailer looks slow to you take a leap and give it a shot.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 10:05 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Finished season 1 of ZeroZeroZero. As others have mentioned it's a good watch. Drug shipment drama from buyer and seller viewpoints. Mixed stories intertwine and viewed from varying people. 

Avoiding giving much away but they did a great job setting scenes similar to Breaking Bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

watched The Gordon Lightfoot doc - pretty entertaining,  The back story on the recording of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was mind blowing. No one in the band and ever seen the music until the day they recorded.  Drummer didn't even know what to do so Gordon said he would give him a nod when he needed to come in.  Song wasn't even planned to be recorded that day but they had extra time left in the studio.  The recording you hear was their first take.  They tried to do other takes but they never sounded as good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Endeavour is a fantastic show. I am in the middle of season two and really like the cast. Qyburn from Game of Thrones is the police chief of Oxford City and the show is built around DC Endeavour Morse. The season is four episodes and each is 90 minutes long. It’s a PBS Masterpiece Theatre show and what I appreciate about it is how the two main characters interact and relate almost as a father and son duo. I am really enjoying the British shows I have watched and the acting is just superb.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Endeavour is a fantastic show. I am in the middle of season two and really like the cast. Qyburn from Game of Thrones is the police chief of Oxford City and the show is built around DC Endeavour Morse. The season is four episodes and each is 90 minutes long. It’s a PBS Masterpiece Theatre show and what I appreciate about it is how the two main characters interact and relate almost as a father and son duo. I am really enjoying the British shows I have watched and the acting is just superb.

Watched a couple of eps and didn't take to it but I guess I need to revisit it.

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The Vast of Night is a good take on 50’s scifi. It’s impressive what they did with a low budget.

I watched it when Covid started in the spring and really liked it too.  It was filmed in Whitney. 

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

I enjoyed it.

Was it just my eyes/my tv or was it blurry as hell?

There was something off about it.

4 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

If you haven't already watched it try Inspector Morse. Endeavor is the prequel.

15 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

If you haven't already watched it try Inspector Morse. Endeavor is the prequel.

I think Amazon also has Inspector Lewis, the series about Morse's DSS after he's promoted to DI.  It may be the best of the three.

Just checked.  It's on PBS stream and you have to pay for it on Amazon.  I watched it free, but don't remember if it was on another streaming channel.

Edited by abuelo gringo

1 hour ago, abuelo gringo said:

I think Amazon also has Inspector Lewis, the series about Morse's DSS after he's promoted to DI.  It may be the best of the three.

Just checked.  It's on PBS stream and you have to pay for it on Amazon.  I watched it free, but don't remember if it was on another streaming channel.

You can always use a streaming torrent like Solar.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

Lewis is on my to do list. 

I recommend Tennison and WPC56 on prime. If you have Acorn, try Inspector George Gently.