Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

I just started some series called "Red Oaks."  I have no idea if it's going to be good, but there are a lot of topless women in the first episode, so that's a good sign.

I think the 1st season was the best.  It could've been better but I enjoyed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

New York Confidential is a series that shows a lot of interesting historical and modern developments in NYC beyond just the touristy, regular points of interest.  I wish they did something like this for DC and surrounding areas.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2021 at 9:36 PM, Brandywine said:

I’m rewatching all the seasons of Bosch. Just great! Season 7 will be their final season whenever it comes out. 

Wanted to watch but was hesitant because I was 6 seasons behind. Snowmageddon changed all that, think I'm almost to the end of season 4 now. Very good show, obviously, and for me the theme song reminds me of the Oz theme song for some reason.

Started watching The Detectorists because of this thread. Three episodes in and it’s so good.

“What’s the surprise?”

“How bland it is.”

“Mmm! That is bland!l

“It’s surprising how bland it is.”

“I wish you hadn’t told me.”

Is there a way to get it without ads?

On 2/22/2021 at 8:59 PM, Buzzrock said:

Started watching The Detectorists because of this thread. Three episodes in and it’s so good.

“What’s the surprise?”

“How bland it is.”

“Mmm! That is bland!l

it's better than Seinfeld 

Amazon is doing a G I Joe series based on Lady Jaye   

https://deadline.com/2021/02/g-i-joe-tv-series-lady-jay-amazon-from-erik-oleson-paramount-tv-eone-skydance-tv-1234700747/

I don’t really care at this point, just want to see the Snake Eyes movie and for Walmart to keep pumping out the retro action figures and vehicles.  

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Amazon is doing a G I Joe series based on Lady Jaye   

https://deadline.com/2021/02/g-i-joe-tv-series-lady-jay-amazon-from-erik-oleson-paramount-tv-eone-skydance-tv-1234700747/

I don’t really care at this point, just want to see the Snake Eyes movie and for Walmart to keep pumping out the retro action figures and vehicles.  

In the meantime, if you really hate yourself, you can watch GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra right now on HBO Max!

• Rage+1 1

On 2/22/2021 at 8:59 PM, Buzzrock said:

“What’s the surprise?”

“How bland it is.”

“Mmm! That is bland!l

It's just a fucking lovely show. Y kingdom for 4 more shows.  

It's on my annual rewatch list along with Derry Girls and others.

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

In the meantime, if you really hate yourself, you can watch GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra right now on HBO Max!

The really crazy thing is, Hasbro is can't decide what to do with G I Joe, even though all of the tools are there for them to make a shitload of money.  It's still incredibly popular, it outsold Star Wars by a large margin in the 80s (at one point G I Joe was a billion dollar business, and that's without inflation), they outright own the IP so they don't have to pay royalties to anybody, unlike their current Star Wars line.

They are pumping content into Fortnite, they have multiple G I Joe games either out already on various platforms, and some in the planning stages (Wizards of the Coast is doing a digital G I Joe game).  They can't keep certain Joe toylines they've released through Walmart in the stores (thanks to scalpers buying them out and selling them for double on eBay), their "limited" editions keep selling out, and there's a slew of other things indicative that it's a cash cow.

They have a Snake Eyes movie in the can, that they are sitting on until later this year, and that Paramount considers one of their tentpole movies for 2021 (originally 2020).  They are casting/ramping up for a really big run at making another large-scale G I Joe tentpole movie.

They have multiple comic book lines that are popular and respected.

But they can't fucking figure out what exactly they want to do with it.  They have no Kevin Feige or whatever guiding things along, and they've somewhat forgotten that their toy line is what drove the original profits, and that they need to ramp up said toy line in a big way, instead of dribbling out a handful of figures and two vehicles every 3-4 months.  On that front they seem to be only targeting adult collectors, when they are being dumbasses and completely missing the kids market.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:47 PM, Neonmoon said:

I just found The Patriot. Holy shit I love this show. The tone, delivery, the songs are hilarious and great 

Dead Serious Rick was great 

but I laughed the hardest at the song after they robbed the grocery, 

Thanks for turning me onto this show.  It's subtle, minimal at times, dark and great.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The really crazy thing is, Hasbro is can't decide what to do with G I Joe, even though all of the tools are there for them to make a shitload of money.

I think the problem is finding an acceptable enemy. hell reboot it as a space focused fighting force 

6 hours ago, lateshow said:

My wife. 

same.  i will watch the pilot for pretty much any show.  it's either good and i want to continue watching, or it's bad, and i consider it a learning experience about setting up structure for a world, a premise, and a group of characters.

this was the latter.

Men in Kilts on Starz is only two episodes so far.   Two of the leads from Outlander do a light hearted travel doc on Scotland.

The Goes Wrong Show is just classic British comedy in short 30 minute takes.

Horrible Histories is truly horrible.  Take a pass on it.

Edwardian Farm was an interesting look at living the agrarian life of a common farmer in 1850ish England.

I had started One Night in Miami and got about halfway through it.   I started getting caught up in more of the black history shows.  I had enjoyed 'Hitsville: The Making of Motown" which pushed me to watch several docs on Sam Cooke.   Having seen Malcom X already and 'I am not your Negro' on James Baldwin, the Sam Cooke docs really tied everything together to make 'One Night...' make more sense to me.   My perspective of Ali and Jim Brown both changes significantly too.  It is really amazing how little black history I have received over the decades.   

Two others that were good were 'The 24th', which is a movie about the 1917 rebellion in Houston by the black soldiers of the 24th stationed at Camp Logan (which is now part of Memorial Park.   Like the Tulsa massacre, I had never heard of this.    Also was a movie 'Emperor' about Shields Green, an escaped slave who fought alongside John Brown at Harper's Ferry.   

Neither of these two movies are big budget, but they are well enough produced to not take away from the story they are telling.   

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

same.  i will watch the pilot for pretty much any show.  it's either good and i want to continue watching, or it's bad, and i consider it a learning experience about setting up structure for a world, a premise, and a group of characters.

this was the latter.

I finished it and could not agree more.  It had potential but was poorly executed.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:20 AM, Noah Fence said:

Anyone else watching Tell Me Your Secrets?

Watching this now.

I dig stuff like this and am enjoying it.  It's pretty slow and a little disjointed, but it's good enough to kill an hour or 2 a night.

I take it as a win if I can get the wife to watch something other than the Voice or Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Watching this now.

I dig stuff like this and am enjoying it.  It's pretty slow and a little disjointed, but it's good enough to kill an hour or 2 a night.

I take it as a win if I can get the wife to watch something other than the Voice or Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.

Will be interested to hear your opinion after finishing it.