Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

I kept getting Minesweeper in my recommended list (they know I'm a WWII geek) so I finally watched it. While the movie was standard wartime morale fare, the quality of the copy was shit. It was unwatchable in low light scenes. Turns out the film slipped into public domain and there were 3rd and 4th gen copies made. This was definitely one of those. Surprised Amazon would show something with that low quality. I'd expect to see that on Pluto.

OK, whoever said The Detectorists was better than Seinfeld, that dude is still on crack, but it is REALLY good.  At least it is now that I've gotten through two seasons of it.   It's weird how every episode makes me like the characters better.  The gag about Shiela's lemonade just absolutely killed me tonight.  It's written by and stars Gareth from the BBC version of The Office. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

OK, whoever said The Detectorists was better than Seinfeld, that dude is still on crack, but it is REALLY good.  At least it is now that I've gotten through two seasons of it.   It's weird how every episode makes me like the characters better.  The gag about Shiela's lemonade just absolutely killed me tonight.  It's written by and stars Gareth from the BBC version of The Office. 

source.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Just finished season 1 of Deep State on Epic subscription. It's an international spy show about the military industrial complex trying to provoke war with Iran. It was entertaining though often unrealistic. But who cares. Something to watch.

On 3/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, UpperWestside said:

I had to switch over to purchasing Britbox to watch Inspector Morse. That site is a treasure trove of great shows and movies though. I think it is 7.99 a month for it. Well worth it in my opinion. I gotta thank @Brothahornfor the recommendation on this show. I will also watch Inspector Lewis once I am done.

Lots of good British mysteries and comedies there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, UpperWestside said:

I had to switch over to purchasing Britbox to watch Inspector Morse. That site is a treasure trove of great shows and movies though. I think it is 7.99 a month for it. Well worth it in my opinion. I gotta thank @Brothahornfor the recommendation on this show. I will also watch Inspector Lewis once I am done.

Glad you enjoyed it. Not sure how it started, but I love Brit tv way more than what we produce. One of my biggest trivial pet peeves is how BBC America won't air some of these shows.

While you are on Britbox, give Shakespeare and Hathaway a look. It's more lighthearted than the previous shows mentioned but it has it moments.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, abuelo gringo said:

Yes, Minnow Mountain in Austin did part of the animation.  A company in the Netherlands also contributed, but, although I have heard, I didn't get exactly how it was all done.  With shooting and vocals in LA, it is an example of how the Internet makes world cooperation possible.

Co-creator and writer Kate Purdy grew up in San Antonio, thus the setting of the series.

14,000 panels/frames per episode. Detail work that challenges the most detail oriented illustrator. They work from film of the actors. The rona precautions have created yet another challenge. Characters superimposed atop scenery painted in oils. Groundbreaking, really.

My bud who works on it is strictly tight lipped, but I can tell next season will exceed expectations.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Fine art blues

The Widow. Kate Beckinsale’s husband dies in a plane crash in the Congo. Three years later she believes she sees him in TV news footage and she heads to the Congo to find him.

Two episodes in and it’s pretty good. A bit clunky in parts but some twists and turns keep it interesting so far.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/4/2021 at 7:45 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Watching utopia. Strange series 

I watched the original 2 British seasons (also on Amazon) after watching the American season. I liked the American one, but the British one is far superior. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow...the transition of this show (Red Oaks) from S1 to S2 is amazing. Only 5 episodes in to S2 but love it.

I’ll let everyone her know when Skye and I hook up. Good God that girl does something to me.

.....and found season 3 (only 6 episodes) to be very enjoyable

48 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I just watched the doc Muscle Shoals about all the music and history that came out of there. Guess I'm late to the game on it, but it's fantastic. 

It's very good - there is/was one about The Wrecking Crew out in California - similar with the session musicians, but toss in Glenn Campbell (as a session musician) and the folks who were doing stuff for The Beach Boys, etc.  Think it's on Netflix.

• Hook 'Em 2

Men in Kilts are some short fairly entertaining episodes about Scottish culture.  Done by the two male leads of Outlander, they are like 20-30 minute shorts on food, music, sports, etc.  There's a pretty good bit on the making of single malt scotch.  

My son for some reason has a fascination with Scotland.  His mother bought some brick in a ruin in Scotland in his name, and now he's a honorary Lord of the Manor.  He loves it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Men in Kilts are some short fairly entertaining episodes about Scottish culture.  Done by the two male leads of Outlander, they are like 20-30 minute shorts on food, music, sports, etc.  There's a pretty good bit on the making of single malt scotch.  

My son for some reason has a fascination with Scotland.  His mother bought some brick in a ruin in Scotland in his name, and now he's a honorary Lord of the Manor.  He loves it.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I watched a couple episodes last night. Good stuff. I like that they don't take themselves too seriously. And Scotland is gorgeous. 

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

Watched old man football, a doc about guys from the 90s and 00s from CC Carroll that play a full pads game against each other.

It was about what you'd expect, but I have no doubt some on here know the guys in there.

Yes I think I watched this a while back, doesn’t one dbag guy get drunk and start a fight the night before the game.   

26 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Yes I think I watched this a while back, doesn’t one dbag guy get drunk and start a fight the night before the game.   

Dude just cold cocked a teammate at a bar during a team meeting.  Wasn't the night before the game but a week or so prior.  His excuse was something along the lines of when I was in prison when someone gets in your face you have to defend yourself.

Just now, Not a cat said:

Dude just cold cocked a teammate at a bar during a team meeting.  Wasn't the night before the game but a week or so prior.  His excuse was something along the lines of when I was in prison when someone gets in your face you have to defend yourself.

Yea that’s it I remember now.  They definitely had some characters playing.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:20 AM, Noah Fence said:

Anyone else watching Tell Me Your Secrets?

I watched it all.  I agree it was hard to keep up with at first, but I think that was part of the plan.  

Spoiler

The lead was suffering from repressed memories, so I think there was some confusion built into the thing to give the audience some idea of the feeling of uncertainty.    

There are three distinct stories that collide in this series, but they both hinge on crimes against young women.  The common links are pretty hard to swallow at times.   But it definitely didn't telegraph the conclusion(s) of the first season.  I'll watch season 2, if it comes out.

I wasn't any harder to follow than Dark, or Babylon Berlin.

Racing Scene - A semi-documentary/team promo for James Garner's racing team in 1969. Lots of great late 60's racing action on and off road. I honestly think Garner produced this to cut his expenses, but it's not bad. Plus it looks like bearded Garner may have dabbled in some nose candy from a few of his scenes.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:45 PM, bolverk said:

Many thanks to whomever recommended "The Goes Wrong Show." I've watched the first four episodes, and all of them have really cracked me up.

It’s like Carol Burnett had a British show. Very physical comedy  

My wife was an actress when I met her. I sat through MANY of these moments in the audience. Only once did I crack after profusely drinking sake with a friend before watching her 6 Degrees of Separation show in Walnut Creek, CA. It’s the only time I’ve been shooshed since marrying. I wish.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, “Them” was excellent.

It’s supposed to be an anthology series so I’m eager to see the next one.

That one scene - y’all know the one - fucked me up. I don’t know how a person recovers from that.

PS - Betty got what she deserved and I hope Clarke found happiness somehow.

• Hook 'Em 1

The current wealth of bio-docs on musicians continues with the Tina Turner doc.  Some of these have been formulaic, but this one breaks out of that some by getting more into how the past haunts her daily, how the press and public wouldn't let her relationship with Ike rest and how that constantly reignites all the horror scenes in her mind.   How strong she had to be to power through all of that and keep pushing for positivity in her life.  

I now appreciate the music of some of these artists more, now that I know the backstories.  

PS:  Ike was a very sick individual to the very end.   I would expect his issues stemmed from shitty parents too.  But it is interesting the divergent paths these two took and their views on each other and themselves at the end.  

I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread (didn't find it when I searched) is the BBC Series "Line of Duty" is a good watch.  Basic story line is Internal Affairs UK coppers looking for corrupt cops.  The first 4 series on Amazon Prime but the current real show is in the 3rd episode of season 6 (I'm watching the current ones via Kodi). Lots of good twists each season - you think it's going one way and by the end of each season. does a flip you don't expect but all the clues were there...

• Hook 'Em 3

Thanks to whomever recommended Endeavor up thread.  Great show.

The actor playing Morse is outstanding.  I like how his character doesn't take any shit from anyone professionally, but seems pretty vulnerable in his private life.  Character has a lot of layers I wasn't expecting.  

Example end of Season 4

Spoiler

He's trying to help Thursday's daughter get sorted, and kind of approaches it methodically, then blurts out "Marry Me!"  Wild.  Then she dismisses the poor bastard and he has to swallow it and move on.  Kind of sad.

Starting off I expected him to be some whiz bang super sleuth that figures out complex cases that no one else can touch.  But that's not really so; he eventually puts the puzzle together but it's with help from others in the department.

Every episode is creatively different but does follow the same formula, so it's not a binge show, but one you watch once/twice a week.  Highly recommend, along with Line of Duty above.

• Hook 'Em 1