Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

Thanks to whomever recommended Endeavor up thread.  Great show.
The actor playing Morse is outstanding.  I like how his character doesn't take any shit from anyone professionally, but seems pretty vulnerable in his private life.  Character has a lot of layers I wasn't expecting.  
Example end of Season 4
Spoiler

He's trying to help Thursday's daughter get sorted, and kind of approaches it methodically, then blurts out "Marry Me!"  Wild.  Then she dismisses the poor bastard and he has to swallow it and move on.  Kind of sad.

Starting off I expected him to be some whiz bang super sleuth that figures out complex cases that no one else can touch.  But that's not really so; he eventually puts the puzzle together but it's with help from others in the department.
Every episode is creatively different but does follow the same formula, so it's not a binge show, but one you watch once/twice a week.  Highly recommend, along with Line of Duty above.

You’re welcome. Great show. I’m bummed I’ve seen them all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I started watching New Tricks a few nights ago.  I stopped to watch an episode of Endeavor.  While it is good, I went back to New Tricks.  Same sort of Brit copper show, but a different formula.   

Basically, a trio of retired detectives come back as consultants to man a squad assigned to close out cold cases.   It's got some tongue in cheek humor mixed in with the cases.   

I'll finish Endeavor next.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, Mach 1 said:

Thanks to whomever recommended Endeavor up thread.  Great show.

The actor playing Morse is outstanding.  I like how his character doesn't take any shit from anyone professionally, but seems pretty vulnerable in his private life.  Character has a lot of layers I wasn't expecting.  

Example end of Season 4

Reveal hidden contents

He's trying to help Thursday's daughter get sorted, and kind of approaches it methodically, then blurts out "Marry Me!"  Wild.  Then she dismisses the poor bastard and he has to swallow it and move on.  Kind of sad.

Starting off I expected him to be some whiz bang super sleuth that figures out complex cases that no one else can touch.  But that's not really so; he eventually puts the puzzle together but it's with help from others in the department.

Every episode is creatively different but does follow the same formula, so it's not a binge show, but one you watch once/twice a week.  Highly recommend, along with Line of Duty above.

It might have been me that recommended it. It’s such a good show. I said it when I first started watching, but the chemistry between Morse and Detective Inspector Thursday is great. It’s like a father/son dynamic. I am looking forward to the last season whenever they decide to release it. Roger Allam is a fantastic actor. I wish I had found him sooner in his acting career. I will likely go back and watch the whole series again at some point. 

Watching it now. 20 minutes in. Action is good. Not sure why they even bothered tying this to the book.

Lol yeah it kept the concept of John Kelly/Clark and his “creation” and that’s about it.

That being said, I enjoyed the movie and there is a mid-credit scene that sets up a HUGE sequel

On 4/25/2021 at 2:41 AM, UpperWestside said:

It might have been me that recommended it. It’s such a good show. I said it when I first started watching, but the chemistry between Morse and Detective Inspector Thursday is great. It’s like a father/son dynamic. I am looking forward to the last season whenever they decide to release it. Roger Allam is a fantastic actor. I wish I had found him sooner in his acting career. I will likely go back and watch the whole series again at some point. 

You bastards

It's Endeavour not Endeavor.

Amazon just cancelled New Tricks this past week (which pissed me off), so I moved on the Endeavour.   Just finished season 3.   I have to say they have some nice birds on this show.    Of various ages.   

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

May 14 is debut for Prime's 10-part limited series based on Colson Whitehead’s 2016 novel, “The Underground Railroad,” winner of both the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award. Apparently amazon spent a shitload of cash on the production, and it's said to be brutal in showing violence. I think for me it's going to take a lot to get through - one I don't necessarily want to watch but one I don't want to not watch. Which probably makes no sense. 

Watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estradas tonight. Every Texan should be required to watch this film.

This movie was the first time I’d ever heard anyone with the name Melquiades outside of my now deceased uncle...

Which to be fair I didn’t even know my uncles name was Melquiades until I was probably 13-14 years old... just knew him as uncle Moe or as my dad and other uncle called him “Mac”.

Enough of that cool starry bra, the movie was good for sure

started ZeroZeroZero, prettyprettypretty good.
It's a very dark and very good series. It really showed how fucked up the drug industry is. The acting is great all around with the characters being both evil yet sympathetic. Except for the psycho evil Mexican cop. That dude haunts my dreams.

13 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

This movie was the first time I’d ever heard anyone with the name Melquiades outside of my now deceased uncle...

Which to be fair I didn’t even know my uncles name was Melquiades until I was probably 13-14 years old... just knew him as uncle Moe or as my dad and other uncle called him “Mac”.

Enough of that cool starry bra, the movie was good for sure

Love that movie, and already posted this here and shaggy but it was inspired by the story of Esequiel Hernández, who was tending to his goats near Big Bend when he was shot and killed by a US Marine in a gilly suit in 1997.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, NoRagrets said:

Just discovered Red Oaks.

Unfucking believably awesome, especially for a child of the 80’s like me.

Also, if you love the 80’s, all seasons of the Americans now streaming on Amazon.

Two of the best shows I have watched in the past year.  Also a child of the 80’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The MGM deal is finalized.

Amazon is buying Hollywood studio MGM for $8.45 billion

f7b19ad0-bd4f-11eb-bdef-263bc25b6f71

Saqib Shah
Saqib Shah
·Contributing Writer
Wed, May 26, 2021, 7:42 AM

Amazon is acquiring storied Hollywood studio MGM in a deal worth $8.45 billion in a bid to bolster its streaming catalog. The takeover hands it the rights to an eye-watering pool of crowdpleasers including James Bond, Rocky and Robocop. MGM also owns The Hobbit franchise, which should sit nicely alongside Amazon's upcoming Lord of the Rings series for Prime Video. On the TV side, the studio's output includes recent hits such as The Handmaid's Tale and Fargo, along with all things under its Epix TV network.

The deal — the second-largest in Amazon's history after its $13.7 billion Whole Foods acquisition — is part of a new wave of media consolidation ushered in by the so-called streaming wars. Already, we've seen Disney consume 21st Century Fox for $71 billion, assimilating its library into Disney+ and Hulu. While the dust is still settling on the newly-announced merger of HBO Max parent WarnerMedia with Discovery. Together, the two companies spend a whopping $20 billion per year on content, slightly more than the $17 billion Netflix splurges on originals. 

But, while legacy media companies have pulled the trigger on big deals as a means of survival, Big Tech has been relatively silent on the acquisition front. Rumors indicating that MGM was interested in a sale have been circulating for years. The studio was previously reported to be in talks with Apple for a takeover that would have valued it at $6 billion. Though, that obviously did not materialize.

For its part, Amazon has given preference to individual film rights and live sports deals over Hollywood takeovers. The company has been on a feeding frenzy during the pandemic, snapping up the rights to movies including Coming2America and the sequel to Borat as cinemas remained shuttered. Jeff Bezos recently revealed that Prime Video (now 10 years old) was watched by over 175 million Prime subscribers in the past year. Amazon also owns a free, ad-supported streaming service called IMDbTV.

33 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Now we can get "Murphy," a hard boiled Robocop prequel series with a $100 million first season budget.

They could also expand the James Bond universe. There's at least another 8 Double O's out in the wild. Maybe do a season for each.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:11 PM, Orale said:
On 5/10/2021 at 11:33 PM, Michael Knight said:
started ZeroZeroZero, prettyprettypretty good.

It's a very dark and very good series. It really showed how fucked up the drug industry is. The acting is great all around with the characters being both evil yet sympathetic. Except for the psycho evil Mexican cop. That dude haunts my dreams.

There was a lengthy, jaw-dropping article in The Guardian the other day about all the crime syndicates from all over the world currently headquartered in Marbella ( https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/may/20/a-united-nations-of-how-marbella-became-a-magnet-for-gangsters ) and among the topics discussed was how criminal syndicates have evolved to have their own specializations that require cooperation with each other. Marbella is where they choose to congregate. ZeroZeroZero was mentioned by one LEO as being a good example of how things work today as compared to previously when criminal organizations were more vertically integrated. I started to watch it after reading the article but as soon as the show started and they showed the patriarch living in his protected bunker, realized I had mowed through all the episodes a few months ago. Definitely a good show.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Finally started Bosch after it being on my list for years.  Blown through 2 seasons in the past week.  Such a good watch. Extremely well paced and it never drags. Each episode flies by.

Great show. 

Anyone watch/watching The Underground Railroad? Wow, it's really good so far (2 eps in) but one episode every few nights is the most I can handle. It conveys so well the terror of the slaves and of those participating in the railroad. I think that's what makes it so intense, perhaps more so than any other show I've watched.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just finished up Panic.

Cool concept.

Great acting.

Delivery not so good.  WAYYYYYY too many leaps in logic to hold the story together.  It was so distracting, I had a hard time finishing.  And, I'm one of those that will generally see a show (at least 1 season) out.

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Alright. I have a huge problem with Bosch season 3. Who in the ever living fuck eats a tamale with the husk on, sucking out the filling like a goddamn yogurt tube?!?!? Jesus Fing Christ.

I had the same thought watching that scene. What in the actual fuck was that?

On 6/4/2021 at 12:03 AM, CooterBrown said:

Alright. I have a huge problem with Bosch season 3. Who in the ever living fuck eats a tamale with the husk on, sucking out the filling like a goddamn yogurt tube?!?!? Jesus Fing Christ.

Californians?

On 6/2/2021 at 9:39 PM, Chopper said:

Anyone watch/watching The Underground Railroad? Wow, it's really good so far (2 eps in) but one episode every few nights is the most I can handle. It conveys so well the terror of the slaves and of those participating in the railroad. I think that's what makes it so intense, perhaps more so than any other show I've watched.

Yes, about 7 episodes in. A review I read before starting implored viewers not to binge and I agree. Each story is pretty heavy. I haven't looked up how true to reality the plot is, but in terms of day-to-day slave life, it sure feels authentic. Joel Edgerton and Thuso Mbedu are outstanding.

On 6/3/2021 at 7:24 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Just finished up Panic.

Cool concept.

Great acting.

Delivery not so good.  WAYYYYYY too many leaps in logic to hold the story together.  It was so distracting, I had a hard time finishing.  And, I'm one of those that will generally see a show (at least 1 season) out.

I agree with all this. The acting was great all the around. Jack Nicholson's kid is really good. 

But the story is bonkers.

• Like 1