Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

Season two of “Patriot” is so great.

I freaking love John’s narration songs.

This could be easy. I could go with my friends to a wine bar and shoot the shit about the weather. And girls. Respectfully.

(Everything goes wrong)

Shit. That wasn’t easy and I think I lost two fingers back there and so did Dennis because I can hear him crying.

It’s seriously the best show no one is watching.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, atomheartbevo said:

For those who haven’t seen it (living under a rock?) The Detectorists, series 1 & 2, popped up on Prime recently. 

Also, Amazon struck a deal with one of the networks, probably CBS, because it seems like a ton of 60s sitcoms and dramas are popping up.

Good show, watching last night and it seems to have moved to hulu though

This could be easy. I could go with my friends to a wine bar and shoot the shit about the weather. And girls. Respectfully.

(Everything goes wrong)

Shit. That wasn’t easy and I think I lost two fingers back there and so did Dennis because I can hear him crying.

FWIW I’m three episodes into Season 1 and think it’s great.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:41 PM, XYZ said:

Has anybody watched Homecoming?

Yes, watched it recently. If you liked Mr. Robot, there are visual similarities. It is an interesting concept and a bit of a mindfuck. The episodes are very short which works well for this series. Check out a couple of episodes, I thought it was pretty solid.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:48 PM, TonyTexas said:

Season 2 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has dropped

Working my way through S2. Not nearly as funny as S1 imho, but it's still good.

Edit: Things pick up after The Catskills.

Edited by RPM

On 11/23/2018 at 6:43 AM, kevwun said:

How was the new season of the man in the high castle?

I just started season 1 but it's getting a little slow 5 episodes in - would you recommend I continue? Usually straight-to-streaming TV shows have a lull in the middle of each season so maybe I just need to power through to the end of season 1. 

I think that's one of the biggest issues with moving away from the new-episode-every-week model. Producers/Directors have less incentive to need to convince you to watch each subsequent episode. They know you're just going to sit there and watch 4 episodes at a time. 

I think I'm only 3 episodes in but I don't like MMM season 2 as much as season 1 so far. Too many random storylines that I don't give a shit about. And then random dumb shit like her forcing her way onto a stage in Paris and speaking English to a bunch of French people is just awkward and weird and unrealistic.

I binged Inside Jokes the last two days and liked it. It's a six episode (hour long each) documentary series and seven comedians auditioning for the new faces showcase at the Just For Laughs Festival in Montreal. I think they did a great job telling the stories of each comedian to give you a reason to care about all of them. Recommended for any fans of stand up.

We tried watching MMM last week but I couldn't get into it. The first couple of episodes were decent but then it just got too campy and repetitive. It felt like the kind of show you watch when you have to compromise with a spouse who isn't into other stuff. Given that my wife watches anything, no need to spend more time on this.

We started watching The Romanoffs instead. Through 4 episodes so far, mostly enjoyed 3 of them. I'll finish it out because I like the uncertainty of not knowing what each plot will be about. Kinda like watching mini movies.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:11 PM, DDD Dad said:

I believe there is another series or at least a special in the works.

There was a thread on the old site.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:12 AM, kevwun said:

Yeah they are supposed to be working on a final season.

He said he didn’t think he could do any more seasons after three, and still keep the quality of writing and production high.  And Wikipedia and some of the fansites definitely show that it’s done unfortunately. It is one of the best shows to have come out the last several years,  although I don’t know that the younger crowd would appreciate it.

In MMM, I'm finding the Jewish humor pretty tiresome. Fast talking with two or more subjects, while difficult to choreograph, needs to also be funny to work. I feel like I'm watching something that was funny and new in the 60s but which is kind of worn out by now. Maybe this is a reflection of my age. I've seen a lot of it.

Also reflective of my age is that Rose is as interesting to me as Midge. 

Tony Shalhoub elevates anything he is in. I think the show would benefit if they ended the hanging romance with her separated husband. I don't care about him or that romance surviving at all. Very little chemistry.

I'm watching the second season of Mr. Robot. You guys steered me there a long time ago, but I put it off. I had no idea about Elliot's difficulty with reality. They handle that well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

We tried watching MMM last week but I couldn't get into it. The first couple of episodes were decent but then it just got too campy and repetitive. It felt like the kind of show you watch when you have to compromise with a spouse who isn't into other stuff. Given that my wife watches anything, no need to spend more time on this.

We started watching The Romanoffs instead. Through 4 episodes so far, mostly enjoyed 3 of them. I'll finish it out because I like the uncertainty of not knowing what each plot will be about. Kinda like watching mini movies.

The Romanoffs was a beating to get through, for me. The middle few eps - especially the one with Diane Lane and Ron Livingston - were some of the worst tv I watched all year. Had I not felt pot-committed I would have bailed. It rebounded at the end, but overall I felt like the season was a disappointment.

14 minutes ago, drewcifer said:

The Romanoffs was a beating to get through, for me. The middle few eps - especially the one with Diane Lane and Ron Livingston - were some of the worst tv I watched all year. Had I not felt pot-committed I would have bailed. It rebounded at the end, but overall I felt like the season was a disappointment.

Would you suggest skipping to any particular episode? There doesn't seem to be any point to watching them in order, so if episode 7 or 8 are better than 5-6, I'm all for skipping ahead.

A couple of them loosely tie into each other, but more in an Easter Egg way.

Ep 5 is, IMO, the worst of the series. I thought it was bad just because it was bad, and then I read Sepinwall's review, which ripped it on several levels. Ep 6 was not bad so much as it was pointless. It takes place in Mexico, focuses on a non-Romanoff character, and has almost no plot to speak of. If you wanted to skip right from 4 to 7 I don't think you'd miss much. Ep 7 is probably the strongest of the series, even if it felt bloated by 10-15 minutes.  Ep 8 is just weird. Not bad - more "WTF?".

4 hours ago, drewcifer said:

I want the Romanoffs to be about the actual Czar, Rasputin, WW1, crumbling kingdom and his family.

That would actually be far more interesting than this mess

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Wife and I watched S1 of MMM but really have no desire to invest more time in it. It was worth a couple of chuckles each episode but felt like over the top theater after a while. 

Kevin Pollak and Tony Shalhoub are the highlights.  

Everyone else is way too over the top. 

It's everything that The Detectorists isnt.  And that's not a compliment 

I keep seeing Catastrophe mentioned. I watched S1 when it was initially released and I thought it was fine, but the two leads were so abrasive toward each other - to the point of toxic - by the finale that it felt like a relief to see the season end. That post-wedding scene where he calls her a "fucking bitch" as she storms out was as uncomfortable as anything I can remember watching the past few years.

14 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I want the Romanoffs to be about the actual Czar, Rasputin, WW1, crumbling kingdom and his family.

That would actually be far more interesting than this mess

I think the strangest part of this series is that at no time does anyone ever call a character on the bullshit that is the Romanoff line surviving to the present day. You see a few smirks here and there - mostly in the Russia episode - but that's really it. I assumed that at some point that would work its way into a story.

I keep seeing Catastrophe mentioned. I watched S1 when it was initially released and I thought it was fine, but the two leads were so abrasive toward each other - to the point of toxic - by the finale that it felt like a relief to see the season end. That post-wedding scene where he calls her a "fucking bitch" as she storms out was as uncomfortable as anything I can remember watching the past few years.

Yeah we haven’t started season 2 mostly because the end of the last season was so uncomfortable.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:26 PM, Bama Chick said:

emoji445.pngThis could be easy. I could go with my friends to a wine bar and shoot the shit about the weather. And girls. Respectfully.emoji445.png

(Everything goes wrong)

emoji445.pngShit. That wasn’t easy and I think I lost two fingers back there and so did Dennis because I can hear him crying.emoji445.png

And yeah, the songs are great.  The blonde detective reminds me a bit of Catherine Denueve. 

Edited by pyrohornIII