Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

Crime Story. Co-created by the cop who was the inspiration for Heat; Michael Mann executive produced this while doing Miami Vice. Dennis Farina (himself a former Chicago cop) is the lead, along with a million faces people over 30 will recognize:

Stephen Lang, Dr. No, Jame “Buffalo Bill” Gumb, a Brother Shamus, Horatio Caine, J. Walter Weatherman, The Rocketeer, the dickhead Jurassic Park lawyer, Mr. Blonde and Mr. Prezbo.

The restoration isn’t great from the 1986 masters, but it’s more dialogue-driven than Heat.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano
  • Like 1

I watched the first 3 episodes of Bosch yesterday and I must be missing something.  Feels like a formulaic “the only true cop doesn’t play by the rules because the rules don’t work” B- or C-movie from decades ago.  

This was exactly my thought and why I bailed after 3-4 episodes.

For those of you that love Bosch on Amazon, (and I count myself as one,)  do yourself a favor and read the books.  Harry comes across as much more humorous and somehow even more surly.  Connelly (a great Gator btw,) is a fantastic writer.

3 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Sneaky Pete season 3 dropped today, FYI. 

Been waiting for this. I know the premise of the show is a bit goofy but it doesn't bother me. I mean my favorite show is about a high school teacher who becomes a big player in the meth game with zero experience so meh. I just want to be entertained.

I started Bosch and Sneaky Pete at the same time. Enjoyed both. Bosch seemed a little formulaic in the beginning but once it got established, it got very good.

• Like 1

For those of you that love Bosch on Amazon, (and I count myself as one,)  do yourself a favor and read the books.  Harry comes across as much more humorous and somehow even more surly.  Connelly (a great Gator btw,) is a fantastic writer.

Go Gators
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 8:16 PM, happyfunball said:

Banshee is a shitty Bosche remake and undersexed demographic.

The plot is terrible

Not sure what Banshee show you watched, but:

1. Banshee came out before Bosch
  2. The shows have almost nothing in common besides there being some cops in both.
  3. Banshee is awesome

f45fa0be10e751f4e68c9c0285ee945d.jpg

• Like 3

The expanse is excellent. I'm in the middle of s3 and stuff from s1&2 is really starting to pay off. Very glad Amazon decided to pick this up after syfy canceled it. tbh I would probably never watch something on syfy so getting canceled might be a positive turn. If this was on hbo or Netflix from day one it would probably be extremely popular. 

Basic premise is humans have colonized the solar system with earth and Mars as the two powers in a cold war. I heard one person describe it as game of thrones set in space and that's a fairly good analogy. Tons of politicking, espionage, murder, and sweet zero-g action. 

This latest sneaky pete seems meh.
New chick is annoying, but a pure smoke,show
I'm halfway through the new season and it is not doing as much for me as the previous 2 seasons. It's not particularly bad but it seemed to lose a little of it's steam it picked up to start the show.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:04 PM, bolverk said:

Highly recommend Fleabag.

Netflix has another of her shows, "Crashing" that's fun if you like Phoebe Waller-Bridge. The premise might be a little too precious with the twenty-something communal living, but she plays a similar type of character with snappy dialogue. 

• Like 1

Watched King Lear.  I had never read nor seen a performance of Lear and was very impressed with it.  Anthony Hopkins was really great as Lear (no surprise), but I also really enjoyed Jim Carter as Kent.  It's done in modern dress and trappings, but Shakespeare's dialog.  I found it much easier to follow with closed captions on.  It's in widescreen format, so the captions were not over the film view.  And Emma Thompson was highly believable as a vile MILF.

Each season gets better imo, but I was hooked later in S1. S3 is just really great tv. 

The budget also gets larger each season. Some of the cgi/production value in S1 is obviously very budget limited and feels cheap at times. I would love to see this with a proper budget.

1 hour ago, seven said:

Each season gets better imo, but I was hooked later in S1. S3 is just really great tv. 

The budget also gets larger each season. Some of the cgi/production value in S1 is obviously very budget limited and feels cheap at times. I would love to see this with a proper budget.

This is good to know.  First two episodes looked like a school play.

Anyone seen both versions of Suspiria?  I saw a "Scariest Movie Scenes" special on AMC and the 70's version looked pretty good.  So when I saw the 2018 version on Prime I was all in.

One of the stupidest, piece of crap movies I've ever seen.  Not scary, no creepy... just really boring and dumb.

14 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Agree with this.  I watched S2 first and while both seasons were funny and weird, I thought season 2 was more funny and season 1 was more weird.

The brother-in-law is hilarious. I thought his laughing out loud at the date she brought to her sister's surprise party was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Great character. 

I watched this really low budget "fake" documentary called "the history of time travel". Really interesting idea. It's shot like a history channel tv show about a guy who invents time travel during the cold war and the unexpected consequences of the discovery. Kinda similar to "Confederate states of America", if you've seen that. 

Low budget and bad actors but well done and worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing. 

Oh, and the writer/director is from Stephen F Austin. 

Edited by seven