What's the Shag (Surly) consensus on the HPV vaccination?

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

There is nothing ignorant about this post, nor how I raised my kids.  In any event, it's moot - they're both over the age of 18, and have been for awhile.  I'd do it again like that 50 times over.  That's why that particular vaccine is voluntary, and no doctor ever pushed me or my kids to get it.  Period.  They were good with our decision.

Although, you clearly know what's better for my kids' "protection" than I did, well I did ok.  My kids are just fine.Tell you what, I'll call you over, you can explain to the four of us how we're dumb shits, and then we'll all have a good laugh at your expense.  You seem to be knowledgeable about what each and every family's discussion is with their kids, and the authority to make these decisions for all of us. 

You must have been applauding Rick Perry's ordering young girls to get this vaccine in 2007 (until  he reversed himself, which must have been a bad day for you).  See, families discuss this.. .this isn't some post-natal thing that's a no-brainer like measles or the various "baby vaccines" (to your shock, we got them all as recommended).  The kid is involved, and we all discussed it and the pluses and minuses, and again, here's the catch - our doctor supported our decision.  I hope you got that part.  My kids have always, no let me italicize that, always been straight with their parents.  Sure they're kids and did shit they didn't tell us, but not this.  They knew and were responsible.  For us, it was the right way to go.  What others do is also up to them, and I support both sides (if you don't know/trust your kids enough, make 'em get it).  We were right  - AND informed - on our decision and my kids are just fine, no, better than fine.  But thanks for playing, lovely parting gifts on the way out.

Perhaps some day again, the State of Texas will order families to get this, then maybe you'll feel better.  The first time they tried it though, eesh...

Families can/should do what they decide.  The OP asked for opinions/experiences and I gave mine.  Whether you agree with it or not didn't, and won't change one thing about our decision - you know, the right one.

Dude, I gave you two reasons why your post was dumb and ignorant.

This shot could literally prevent cancer, and possibly save a life.

Yeah, you have a choice. Too bad it affects your kids.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

PHD - you're still not understanding what everyone is saying.  waiting for your kids to get the HPV vaccine, after they start to have relationships, is potentially too late.   And if your kids are boys, you actually have ZERO idea if they have HPV or not.  There isn't a test for it.  When you say they don't have HPV, you making that up.  you don't know because it's impossible for you to know that.

I suppose some parents can look at their teenage kids and realize sex is most likely not an issue for them.

phd is really out to lunch on this one. 

This site will help. If he reads it.

https://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm

There's really nothing more to say.  Asithappens doesn't like that our family did what was best for it - and here again - never put themselves at risk for anything, are not affected now, and will not be in the future.  He doesn't like you to have a choice on something he's dogmatic about.  So you all listen to him... perhaps he can give advice on what your kids must eat, how they dress, and how they interact socially.  Be sure to clear everything with him.  It's the only way they'll survive.

Anyway, since OP asked for opinions, I gave mine, and well if you don't like it it's my problem, not much else to say.  Good luck with your kids, you do the right thing as we did for ours.  No need to post further here... if your kids are older teens as ours were, and didn't want the vaccine, then you can either make them get it or leave it to them if you want.  We did the right thing for our family.  Period.  Late!

I get that parents don't want to think about their 10 year old as eventually having sex...

You know, the kids don’t know what the fucking shot is for unless you tell them. For their entire existence, they’ve gone to annual visits and gotten shots they’ve never even asked what they’re for. Why would they even think this one is different unless you tell them?
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, phdhorn said:

There's really nothing more to say.  Asithappens doesn't like that our family did what was best for it - and here again - never put themselves at risk for anything, are not affected now, and will not be in the future.  He doesn't like you to have a choice on something he's dogmatic about.  So you all listen to him... perhaps he can give advice on what your kids must eat, how they dress, and how they interact socially.  Be sure to clear everything with him.  It's the only way they'll survive.

Wow. Just wow.

Comparing a vaccine (which may prevent cancer, and thus save a life (and a lot of money)) to lifestyle choices of apparel wear and food choices.

And just how does getting the HPV vaccine put one at risk? How does getting the shot affect one in the future? I can see how not getting the shot can do that, but getting the shot?

I really don't see your line of thought here. And yeah, I'm also dogmatic about other aspects of taking care of your kid's health. One of my shortcomings, I guess.

There is nothing ignorant about this post, nor how I raised my kids.  In any event, it's moot - they're both over the age of 18, and have been for awhile.  I'd do it again like that 50 times over.  That's why that particular vaccine is voluntary, and no doctor ever pushed me or my kids to get it.  Period.  They were good with our decision.
Although, you clearly know what's better for my kids' "protection" than I did, well I did ok.  My kids are just fine.Tell you what, I'll call you over, you can explain to the four of us how we're dumb shits, and then we'll all have a good laugh at your expense.  You seem to be knowledgeable about what each and every family's discussion is with their kids, and the authority to make these decisions for all of us. 
You must have been applauding Rick Perry's ordering young girls to get this vaccine in 2007 (until  he reversed himself, which must have been a bad day for you).  See, families discuss this.. .this isn't some post-natal thing that's a no-brainer like measles or the various "baby vaccines" (to your shock, we got them all as recommended).  The kid is involved, and we all discussed it and the pluses and minuses, and again, here's the catch - our doctor supported our decision.  I hope you got that part.  My kids have always, no let me italicize that, always been straight with their parents.  Sure they're kids and did shit they didn't tell us, but not this.  They knew and were responsible.  For us, it was the right way to go.  What others do is also up to them, and I support both sides (if you don't know/trust your kids enough, make 'em get it).  We were right  - AND informed - on our decision and my kids are just fine, no, better than fine.  But thanks for playing, lovely parting gifts on the way out.

Perhaps some day again, the State of Texas will order families to get this, then maybe you'll feel better.  The first time they tried it though, eesh...
Families can/should do what they decide.  The OP asked for opinions/experiences and I gave mine.  Whether you agree with it or not didn't, and won't change one thing about our decision - you know, the right one.

This entire post is really breathtaking.

Rock Perry’s cronyism connected with making it governmentally mandated was f’n stupid.

The vaccine is very effective at preventing some seriously shitty diseases.

Presume all of our kids are going to someday be sexually actively to some degree.

Was a no-brainer for us, kids got the vaccine.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Presume all of our kids are going to someday be sexually actively to some degree.

That's just it. So many parents think that their kids won't have sex until they have married their (also virginal) partner and then will never have sex with anybody else their entire lives. And a lot of parents "just know" that their kids are 100% honest and open with them regarding sex. And maybe they are. Some are, at least. But not all.

Look at the data and the prevalence of the virus. If a person has sex (iirc) with something like 3 or 4 people, the chances of getting the virus is about 100%. Or at least very high.

And what about these kids whose parents don't have them get the vaccine who, for some reason lose their (virginal) partner? Death, divorce, glorious assumption, alien abduction, whatever, and then meet someone in their later years and (gasp) have sex with them? 

Bottom line: like brisket said it's a no-brainer. Get the vaccine (before your kids become sexually active). Inform yourself. Be smart.

I hate the government telling me what to do - hell, I think speed limits are a heavy-handed, blunt tool for dealing with poor education, bad habits and crumbling infrastructure.  

But I would support making all vaccines mandatory with no non-medical exemptions.  It’s kind of how you eradicate those diseases.  Give me any vaccinations that prevent disease as long as the shot doesn’t clearly pose a much greater tangible risk than the disease.  Yellow fever, cholera, the fucking plague - why not get them even if the closest you ever get to the third world is Disneyland?  Even if you only get the disease from going ATM with juggalos in mosh pits in Kenosha, Wisconsin, I want the vaccine. Why not just eliminate the chance if you can?  And in the process help eliminate the disease itself?

My kids got the shots the day they were eligible.  And no, we didn’t have a stupid “this doesn’t mean you can go out and” conversation.  We said “you’re getting a shot.”

• Like 2

I would like to see phd address my above post, specifically:

And what about these kids whose parents don't have them get the vaccine who, for some reason lose their (virginal) partner? Death, divorce, glorious assumption, alien abduction, whatever, and then meet someone in their later years and (gasp) have sex with them?

Not saying that he's self-nominating himself for a parent-o-the-year award (but his "doctor" sure  seems out to lunch) but really?

8 hours ago, Asithappens said:

That's just it. So many parents think that their kids won't have sex until they have married their (also virginal) partner 

This is part of the problem.  There is a bizarre delusion going on in which parents seem to think because their angels surely won't have sex until marriage that they don't need to get the vaccine.  Forget for the moment that marriage is somehow not the finish line -- how sure are you that young Virginia will marry another virgin?  If you're not 100% confident in that fact, you're rolling the dice with your kid's health, and if you are 100% confident in that fact, you're a fool.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is part of the problem.  There is a bizarre delusion going on in which parents seem to think because their angels surely won't have sex until marriage that they don't need to get the vaccine.  Forget for the moment that marriage is somehow not the finish line -- how sure are you that young Virginia will marry another virgin?  If you're not 100% confident in that fact, you're rolling the dice with your kid's health, and if you are 100% confident in that fact, you're a fool.

Not only that, but like I mentioned, what about 30 years from now when your (virginal) so has died and you marry someone else? 

Jesus, pull your head out of your ass and get a shot that can prevent CANCER. I don't give a fuck if your "doctor" agrees with you and doesn't recommend it. What. The. Fuck.

Bizarre, yes. This is just a grade-A, prime example of poor thinking. (unless there's a valid medical reason not to get the shot)

This shot can PREVENT CANCER. Stop rationalizing why it shouldn't be given. What's next? You telling me that the bible disproves evolution?

As has been said it's a vacine that serves the purpose of disease prevention, long term cancer specifically.

HPV is extremely common.  Still I would tell the girl the same thing I told my daughters, "All Guys are lying scumbags, with sores on their weiners. And you need to get a flashlight to be sure..."

For both the guys and gal- I ask them,"Do you know what is the more important thing in securing your future options?" I then reply with a gradual rising voice and usually pounding a table. "Condoms.. Condoms... CONDOMS!"  For both desease and pregnancy. 

3 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Not only that, but like I mentioned, what about 30 years from now when your (virginal) so has died and you marry someone else? 

Well sure, but getting these people to think past loss of virginity and "wedding night" is difficult.

In reality, if everyone were able to have honest conversations about sex, the vaccine is in effect protecting kids from the past behavior of any sex partner they might ever have in their life.  Guess what?  Every one of THOSE sex partners has been exposed to the behavior of everyone they've ever had sex with.

Most people can fight off HPV.  Those who can't are at risk for developing cancer and spreading the disease.  Current statistics say that 14M Americans are catching HPV each year.  At this rate, the entire American population will be infected by 2040.  (I'm kidding.  Well, not about the rate, but probably kidding about the continuance of that rate.)

Oh, and in case you didn't know, it can be spread by vaginal, anal AND oral sex, so when sweet Virginia is blowing dudes prior to marriage, or maybe she's at Baylor where anal sex is an acceptable alternative to <gasp> vaginal sex, she's exposing herself.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well sure, but getting these people to think past loss of virginity and "wedding night" is difficult.

In reality, if everyone were able to have honest conversations about sex, the vaccine is in effect protecting kids from the past behavior of any sex partner they might ever have in their life.  Guess what?  Every one of THOSE sex partners has been exposed to the behavior of everyone they've ever had sex with.

Most people can fight off HPV.  Those who can't are at risk for developing cancer and spreading the disease.  Current statistics say that 14M Americans are catching HPV each year.  At this rate, the entire American population will be infected by 2040.  (I'm kidding.  Well, not about the rate, but probably kidding about the continuance of that rate.)

Oh, and in case you didn't know, it can be spread by vaginal, anal AND oral sex, so when sweet Virginia is blowing dudes prior to marriage, or maybe she's at Baylor where anal sex is an acceptable alternative to <gasp> vaginal sex, she's exposing herself.

Amen, brother.

And yet, yet, we still have posts like phds. 

Shake my damn head.

Mankind is really fucking stupid sometimes. 

4 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I would like to see phd address my above post, specifically:

Not saying that he's self-nominating himself for a parent-o-the-year award (but his "doctor" sure  seems out to lunch) but really?

People can frequently hear what they want from doctors, and doctors can also decide to not push an issue that they know they might lose.  Finally doctors can be wrong as well. 

23 minutes ago, drt said:

I had a friend die of cervical cancer at 31.  Diagnosed while she was on vacation for her 30th birthday.  It was a terrible year while she fought the disease. 

That's now mostly preventable.

Yup.  A very close buddy's wife died in her mid-40s from the same cancer.  They operated, "got it all", turned out they didn't, died within months.  Fucking horrible.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, phdhorn said:

I didn't have my kids get it until they turned 18.  Didn't prevent it, just said it's up to you.  Always a bit awkward - if they take it, well then, we're telling dad something, aren't we?

I'm really not picking on phd, really. He's so "with it" normally. 

But what exactly are the kids "telling dad"?  This kinda goes to the heart of the matter. 

It seems that phd thinks his kids are "telling" him that they are having (or want to have) wanton and indiscriminate sex.

Me? It tells me that they want to lower their chances of contracting, wait for it, ... cancer. It tells me those kids are making a sound and rational decision. 

Am I wrong? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an update. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/well/live/hpv-vaccine.html?searchResultPosition=1

tl;dr  Get the gotdamned vaccine.

Researchers reviewed 40 studies of HPV infection in 14 high-income countries, with data from more than 60 million people followed for up to eight years after vaccination. The study is in The Lancet.

They found that the prevalence of HPV 16 and 18, which cause most cases of cervical cancer, decreased over the period by 83 percent among girls ages 13 to 19, and by 66 percent among women 20 to 24. Infection with three other high-risk types, 31, 33 and 45, decreased 54 percent among girls 13 to 19.

“HPV infections, the cause of cervical cancer and precancerous lesions, are significantly declining in countries with high vaccination coverage,” said the senior author, Marc Brisson, a professor of epidemiology at Laval University in Quebec City.

• 1 month later...