Dallas | Seafood

Landomatic

We hit Hudson all the time. Almost too much as we've had to back off a little lately. The oysters are great, the ahi tuna sandwich is the tits but I've yet to try the Lobster Roll. The fucking burger is fanfuckingtastic as is the fried chicken sandwich. The Reuben is yummy too. I mean it's all good. Just wish they'd change the menu around from time to time.

I wish Up on Knox would rip off the Hudson House menu.  It feels to me like HH is what UoK is trying to be, only they are completely missing the mark with their menu.  We can walk to UoK and probably go out around there at least 3-5 times a week, but UoK is rarely in the conversation because their menu is always just kind of meh without knowing who they really want to be.  If they had a HH menu (or a hell of a lot closer), they'd be in the conversation every time.

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I wish Up on Knox would rip off the Hudson House menu.  It feels to me like HH is what UoK is trying to be, only they are completely missing the mark with their menu.  We can walk to UoK and probably go out around there at least 3-5 times a week, but UoK is rarely in the conversation because their menu is always just kind of meh without knowing who they really want to be.  If they had a HH menu (or a hell of a lot closer), they'd be in the conversation every time.

Yeah, it's a hell of a lot spendier than HH. I imagine the rent is astronomical there though. Have only been for drinks. It seemed OK but I didn't see anything I had to come back and try -- especially at those prices.

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Apparently, Truluck's in Uptown will be closing to make way for another Trammell Crow development.

Their new building is what, 5 years old?  I'd heard that Truluck's has a long-term land lease.  Perhaps they are getting bought out of it or are gonna get it rolled up into the new development?  

8 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Their new building is what, 5 years old?  I'd heard that Truluck's has a long-term land lease.  Perhaps they are getting bought out of it or are gonna get it rolled up into the new development?  

Assuming that's the case. Philip Kingston said Truluck's will be closing and I didn't get the impression they would be involved with the new development.

In related news, Water Grill has closed as well.

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Apparently, Truluck's in Uptown will be closing to make way for another Trammell Crow development.

Holy shit, I saw you bumped this thread and I assumed it was for this...

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/upscale-dallas-seafood-restaurant-water-grill-closes-its-doors-11874190

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I mentioned it in the post above yours!

Oh, sorry...didn't read far enough.  The Water Grill news doesn't surprise me at all.  The Truluck's news does a little though.  Although, I gotta say...I haven't hung out in Uptown in I don't even know how long so I guess nothing really surprises me about any of that.

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Assuming that's the case. Philip Kingston said Truluck's will be closing and I didn't get the impression they would be involved with the new development.

Don't have any inside info, but this is the statement of Truluck's management as posted in a DMN article that was updated for this statement the day after its initial publication: 

“We are aware of this as a transaction being negotiated with our current landlord," David Tripoli, Chief Operating Officer, Truluck’s said in a statement. “We have 20 plus years remaining on our ground lease and look forward to continuing to serve the community in Uptown.”

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

Good. Not sure there was a less thoughtfully designed building/parking lot in Dallas. 

“hey let’s set back our building 250 feet off McKinney Ave so we can jam a surface lot in front”

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

Great.  Can see it across the street from my office.  The last thing this area needs is more office space.  Rush hour traffic is already a nightmare.   But as for the Trulucks?  Always thought it was overrated and haven't been in years.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:30 AM, bigup2dahorns said:

Water Grill never had any customers in it whenever I went by there. Surprised it lasted this long.

Yeah, they're part of a big chain.  Those places tend to have some pretty good hanging in there power...

http://www.kingsseafood.com/restaurants

Like some of Tilman's places...I swear there is no possible way some of them are making money, but they keep hanging in there.  Like Morton's in Uptown...never see anyone there the couple times I've been.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:20 AM, Firemans4Horn said:

Good. Not sure there was a less thoughtfully designed building/parking lot in Dallas. 

“hey let’s set back our building 250 feet off McKinney Ave so we can jam a surface lot in front”

This!  I used to love Truluck's in their original building.  I went there often.  When they built that suburban strip mall monstrosity right in the middle of Uptown, I ended my relationship with them.  Glad they are closing. Fuck them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, C-Man said:

First time to TJ's Seafood Market on Oak Lawn today after a meeting across street from HP Village. Got the coconut fried shrimp tacos -- holy fuck, were they good!

TJ's has coconut shrimp on the menu? They are off the list.  If I see coconut shrimp on a menu, I leave.   Same thing as Captain Crunch Chicken.

5 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I finally tried flying fish. I like fried food but the fried shrimp were underwhelming. Anyone else eaten here?

flyingfishinthe.net

It's fine.  We don't mind going to the Irving Blvd. location on occasion for basic counter ordered seafood. The grilled trout with rice and veggies is my go to.  The fried shrimp are not that good.   I love the big frosty glasses of beer.  Ice cold like I like it.  Overall, it's pretty good but no where near Hook, Line, & Sinker, with the same menu.  Also, I don't like the gumbo. I don't mind okra in a gumbo (I know that's controversial) but this is really a gumbo okra.  I had to scoop out all the crazy amount of okra the first couple of times I ordered it, so I don't order it any more.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

TJ's has coconut shrimp on the menu? They are off the list.  If I see coconut shrimp on a menu, I leave.   Same thing as Captain Crunch Chicken.

Maybe it was fish -- was curled up like scrimps. Menu said fish tacos and that's what I ordered. Just looked online and for $1 extra per taco you can get shrimp. Our waitress was from Jamaica mon and was a bit flustered even though it wasn't crowded. Whatever it was, it was damn good. In retrospect, after seeing it come out to a couple tables around me, I should've ordered the lobster roll.

I like Flying Fish. They used to do a whole fried redfish that was pretty fucking good, but that was not offered the last time I was there, which, admittedly, has been a while.  It’s fine for fried seafood if that’s what you’re looking for.  Nate’s is the best in town for a casual seafood experience IMO, and if you are going to the Addison outpost of Flying Fish, Nate’s is right down the street.

• Like 1

In the style of Flying Fish, Hook Line and Sinker on Lemmon is great.  The spicy grilled catfish is a little bit of all right.  I am also a fan of Aw Shucks but it's a third behind the other two I mention here.

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 1

Flying Fish does all the standards pretty well.  It's fresh and almost never greasy.

However, and it's particularly noticeable with the fried shrimp, there is little or no seasoning in their batter.  They need some cayenne, tabasco, or old bay in there.  Maybe just some more salt.  Something. Haven't been in years, but S&D used to be pretty much the gold standard in that department.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

In the style of Flying Fish, Hook Line and Sinker on Lemmon is great.  The spicy grilled catfish is a little bit of all right.  I am also a fan of Aw Shucks but it's a third behind the other two I mention here.

I'm not a very big fan of Flying Fish. I love S&D and Hook, Line & Sinker is great too.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:39 PM, Stunns38 said:

I finally tried flying fish. I like fried food but the fried shrimp were underwhelming. Anyone else eaten here?

flyingfishinthe.net

*Tapa tripping so this post may come up multiple times

I love the fried crawfish po boy with a healthy amount of louisiana sauce. Agree with the others regarding the shrimp, just not a whole lot of flavor going on there. 

• 6 months later...

Guess this goes here...

Restauranteur Nick Badovinus (Neighborhood Services, Town Hearth, etc) is opening a fast casual lobster place in Highland Park Village.  It's going in the old Perfect Union space.  Supposedly lobster rolls and the like, patio, full bar, coastal theme, yada yada yada.  Supposed to open in about a week, but I'm skeptical as I've seen zero pub about it.

He's gotten way too schticky with his concepts recently.  Hope he dials it back a bit for this one, but if his new pizza concept is any indication, I'm not holding my breath on that.  And he's calling it Yo! Lobster, which is a horrible name, so not off to a great start on the schticky part.  Name feels like a lobster roll food truck or place in a food court at the mall.

We'll see...

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Guess this goes here...

Restauranteur Nick Badovinus (Neighborhood Services, Town Hearth, etc) is opening a fast casual lobster place in Highland Park Village.  It's going in the old Perfect Union space.  Supposedly lobster rolls and the like, patio, full bar, coastal theme, yada yada yada.  Supposed to open in about a week, but I'm skeptical as I've seen zero pub about it.

He's gotten way too schticky with his concepts recently.  Hope he dials it back a bit for this one, but if his new pizza concept is any indication, I'm not holding my breath on that.  And he's calling it Yo! Lobster, which is a horrible name, so not off to a great start on the schticky part.  Name feels like a lobster roll food truck or place in a food court at the mall.

We'll see...

Have you tried the pizza he's running out of Neighborhood Services? As I said in the pizza thread, I was not impressed with what I brought home. I also wasn't a fan of waiting in the parking lot like 30 mins beyond when it was supposed to be ready.

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Have you tried the pizza he's running out of Neighborhood Services? As I said in the pizza thread, I was not impressed with what I brought home. I also wasn't a fan of waiting in the parking lot like 30 mins beyond when it was supposed to be ready.

No, I haven't had it...based on 1) your glowing review and 2) the high level of douche-ness in the menu names.

Speaking of, I see you can now get "sghetti" along with their already offered "sup shorty" and "roni" pizzas with a "btl of bubb" as your "bev"

tenor.gif?itemid=5636523

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 8:17 AM, Landomatic said:

Guess this goes here...

We'll see...

Tried this place last night.  Pretty damn good.  It was packed, both inside and out on the patio.  Saw them turn several people away who didn't have reservations.  Opened earlier this week and only open for dinner now, but should be a great place for lunch or early dinner as it does feel pretty casual.

Pros:

Food was about as good as it gets.  Stuck with some pretty standard staples for our first time.  Started with some really great oysters that I didn't get a pic of.  They had two kinds and all were big and plump and juicy and fresh tasting and served right with all the proper accoutrements.  Main Lobster roll was the best I've had in Dallas.  Fries and loaded mac and cheese were both spot on too.

Service was just about perfect.

Sitting on the patio at Highland Park Village watching the car show and pretty people show doesn't suck, especially during the holidays when the lights all go on.

Cons:

Picking nits on most of this...

Their patio chairs were uncomfortable as fuck.

Their price-point is on the high side for a casual place ($30 chop salad, etc).  It's in line with Highland Park Village and I don't think price is really a factor for most of their target market.  In all honestly, it's probably about the only thing that has a shot at working in that space with their rent.  I'm guessing fast casual pasta and pizza didn't demand a high enough average price per ticket to pencil out.  Our check for 2 was a little over $300 before tip (we drank a lot) and I don't think we ever would have done that at the pizza place.  This should fit better so not even really sure you can call it a con, but don't go if you want something casual and inexpensive.  It is casual (we wore sweats) but pretty spendy.

Key lime pie was just okay.

They didn't have a stand for their wine chillers, which got a little awkward.  Sat it on the table which would have been fine, but there wasn't really enough room and it perspired a lot so started leaking all over and through the slots in the table onto our legs.  Had to have them take it away and then it took too long to get refills.  Easy fix...I'll be surprised if they don't get that sorted out soon.

The name still absolutely fucking blows.

Overall:

Pretty great.  Will go back, despite horrible name.

https://www.yolobster.com/

Main Lobster Roll and Old Bay Frites

bT2i0M.jpg

Loaded Mac and Cheese

fkNsfo.jpg

Key Lime Pie

pjY7jd.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Jesus, $300+ for lobster rolls, fries, loaded Mac-and-cheese and key lime pie? How much was booze? (So you Mrs Lando went out to eat finally?)

And oysters.  You forgot the oysters.  Here's the math...

12 oysters - $38

1 main lobster roll (with fries) - $27

1 california lobster roll (with fries) - $30

1 loaded mac and cheese - $19

1 key lime pie - $11

Food total - $125

So, I guess the booze was about $175 of it.  Bottle of champagne was $120 of that.  And I guess we probably had a couple mixed drinks before and after we ate.  Plus tax.  Like I said, it ain't cheap.  Don't let the casual-ness of the place throw you.

And yeah, we've been going out a little, staying pretty safe about things, outdoors only, etc.  We should get together soon before it gets too cold out.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, bluto said:

Anybody been to Krio? Cajun and Thai mashup in south Dallas, looks good.

It's in Bishop Arts / North Oak Cliff and it's bleh.   I had an order of fried fish that was not as good as Luby's.  Cool space, though.  Maybe the boils and all that are better.