Legalized Hemp?

bernorange

The U.S. Senate's top leader said Monday he wants to bring hemp production back into the mainstream by removing it from the controlled substances list that now associates the crop with its cousin — marijuana.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told hemp advocates in his home state of Kentucky that he will introduce legislation to legalize the crop as an agricultural commodity. The versatile crop has been grown on an experimental basis in a number of states in recent years.

"It's now time to take the final step and make this a legal crop," McConnell said.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/business/article206830239.html

I wonder how much of this is Rand Paul in McConnell's ear.  At any rate, it's a good thing.

Edited by bernorange
fucking IBP editor.... bbcode was correct... fuck it

Mitch is pretty late to the party. There were Kentucky politicians calling for legalization and running their campaigns including that call back in the 90's. They may have even had a governor who wanted legalization. It's been a long time and I can't recall for sure. But Kentucky used to be a major producer of hemp, it was a big part of their economy. 

There's been a legal help industry longer than a legal medical or recreational cannabis industry recently. I think that goes back to the 90's too. I'm not sure about the legal particulars. It may be that the industry was in Canada and the U.S. just allowed the sale of previously banned hemp products. But I can remember when hemp products suddenly started showing up all over the place. 

• 2 years later...

Virginia decriminalizing pot goes in effect July 1--tomorrow!  Possession of less than an ounce is up to a $25 civil fine rather than up to 30 days in jail and/or up to $500 fine, which is the current law.  

https://www.mpp.org/states/virginia/summary-of-virginias-cannabis-decriminalization-and-penalty-reduction-bill/

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1