Pocket knife, fixed blade, machete, tomohawk all encompassing thread

11 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

I want that.

http://ravencresttactical.com/shop/cerakote-mini-rct-1-raven-tactical-otf-knife-graphite-black/

i did that knife with a drop point serrated blade.  it was also on sale for $99 when i bought it - they show up like that occasionally.  looks like the current $99 options are pink, purple, and the like.

12 hours ago, Tap said:

Or skip that and get a microtech ultratech

Nice...some of those can be had for <$250 which is reasonable. If the one I have was full price, I would probably opt for that microtech as I like the look of the handle quite a bit more. At $99, though...

I just got this Massdrop Crux in, designed by Ferrum Forge, made by WE. It's probably the best knife for the money I've ever bought. I'd take it over any of the 3 Hinderers I've owned or the spyderco Nirvana. It's as well done as any CRK knives I've had also. To me the Ferrum forge knives have always been about the best looking blade design around, but a little beyond what I wanted to spend on a knife I'm going to use.

Spyderco recently pissed me off after having been my favorite knives most of my life, so I pretty much carry a CRK and a GEC of some sort every day. This will definitely be getting a lot of pocket time though. I'll probably be looking at more of the massdrop knives too. I don't love the massdrop stamp on the blade, but at least it's on the back side and small. eb69704c4a31b33a756cd0bb869fbc42.jpg986bc81526076bdf850ba9e0fcfb4f55.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Looking for hatchet recs.  Want to get a hatchet for my 12 year old son.  Got him a Fiskars hatchet because I love my Fiskars splitting axe and within 30 min of chopping pine the blade on the hatchet was ruined.  The edge actually folded over.  I've never seen that before.  

I got him this:

046561275501.jpg

Can't tell if I just got a bad one, or if these just don't hold up like the Fiskars axes do.  I've already taken the hatchet back to Lowes.  I don't want to spend a bunch as he's just going to beat the shit out of it, but I want something that will hold up.  He doesn't abuse it, he just gets after it.

Could be a bad heat treat for sure. Pretty sure he didn't hit some rocks or other hard things somewhere along the way? 

And it could also be that you got super lucky with the heat treat on your axe. I would be tempted to give another one a go. I think I might have tried to sharpen the first one and see how it did. Sometimes automatic edge grinding can get too hot and draw the temper at the edge only. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

He's really careful about what he hits with his knives and axes, and I was watching him use it for a while.  Basically, he cut through a smaller log and then he limbed a stick so he could whittle it.  That's it.

I guess I'll give it another go with another one.  The hatchet gets great reviews, but every so often someone complains about the blade chipping or dulling prematurely.  I wonder if their QC isn't quite where it should be?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Bringing back a classic thread- I've got a neighbor who's done some smithing but really gotten quite proficient during the pandemic- swords, knives, etc.

He's offered for a while to make me a Tomahawk, and after I clarified that he wasn't talking about a killer ribeye (dammit), I've been thinking to take him up on it.

So, I need a recommendation for a handle- for those of you who are well versed in this kind of thing, any suggestions for a durable material: Oak? Cherry? I already have one perspective that's pretty good...

'Preciate it.

8 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Bringing back a classic thread- I've got a neighbor who's done some smithing but really gotten quite proficient during the pandemic- swords, knives, etc.

He's offered for a while to make me a Tomahawk, and after I clarified that he wasn't talking about a killer ribeye (dammit), I've been thinking to take him up on it.

So, I need a recommendation for a handle- for those of you who are well versed in this kind of thing, any suggestions for a durable material: Oak? Cherry? I already have one perspective that's pretty good...

'Preciate it.

Traditionally it's almost always hickory.  Ash, I think is also used, but not sure where'd you get that from?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Hate to do a drive by, but any recommendation for a simple pocket knife in the $20-30 range?  Something that won't fall apart like a big box brand knife, but also something I won't freak out if it gets lost.

Moore Maker is a little bit out of your price range, but I have this one and am fond of it.  Non-serrated blade is $44.

https://www.mooremaker.com/store/p132/%237102LB_%26_7102LBS_-_ROPER_LOCKBACK_CLIP_KNIFE_-_4-5%2F8".html

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Hate to do a drive by, but any recommendation for a simple pocket knife in the $20-30 range?  Something that won't fall apart like a big box brand knife, but also something I won't freak out if it gets lost.

Kershaw Leek on sale.  Reg price a little above your range, but I grab them on sale under $30 on Amazon from time to time.  Sharp enough, good enough edge, perform really well for the range, easy to open one-handed.  Also sharpen easy.  I have a rotating collection of 6 of them that I lose and find throughout times and places.  When I lose one I grab another and eventually I'll find the one I lost, usually after I've lost the next one or two.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Kershaw Leek on sale.  Reg price a little above your range, but I grab them on sale under $30 on Amazon from time to time.  Sharp enough, good enough edge, perform really well for the range, easy to open one-handed.  Also sharpen easy.  I have a rotating collection of 6 of them that I lose and find throughout times and places.  When I lose one I grab another and eventually I'll find the one I lost, usually after I've lost the next one or two.

Yes, a Leek or  Gerber Evo serrated.  Have several of each.  They are both thin, lightweight and relatively inexpensive.   The close lock on the Leek can come undo and it wants to open in your pocket and the Gerber liner lock isn't super strong but both of these have worked well for me for sub $40 knives.

71Ymc+ZOQaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

resource_gerberamericas_22-41432.ashx?q=

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, davidg said:

Yes, a Leek or  Gerber Evo serrated.  Have several of each.  They are both thin, lightweight and relatively inexpensive.   The close lock on the Leek can come undo and it wants to open in your pocket and the Gerber liner lock isn't super strong but both of these have worked well for me for sub $40 knives.

71Ymc+ZOQaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

resource_gerberamericas_22-41432.ashx?q=

This is what I carry.  I love it.  More robust than it initially appears.  Snaps open fast with one hand as well.  I was balanced on the top of a ladder filling a feeder the other day and the bag wouldn't open, so I snapped it out quickly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The Leek is a great knife.

A couple of caveats, though.  It is assisted opening and could potentially open in your pocket while riding your MTB, assuming you would carry it riding.  I don't hesitate to carry a Leek, but would not carry it riding for this reason.  It has a safety catch, but I wouldn't trust it.  It's probably unlikely, but if you were to go OTB with it, and it opened, it would really fuck you up.  We don't need arterial bleeding to go along with our busted fingers and collarbones.

Also, it's a bit heavy in most models because it is all stainless construction.  Also the handle is cold and devoid of texture.  YMMV on that.

I'm always a fan of slipjoints for everything, but there's so much variety that it's a highly personal choice.

The CRKT Piet is a great little "tactical" type knife and cheap.  The only thing "wrong" with it is that it has an overly thick blade for its size.  I like small blades fine, YMMV.  But the thickness of this little thing is a bit absurd.

CRKT-Piet.png&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A couple of caveats, though.  It is assisted opening and could potentially open in your pocket while riding your MTB, assuming you would carry it riding.  I don't hesitate to carry a Leek, but would not carry it riding for this reason.  It has a safety catch, but I wouldn't trust it.

Also, it's a bit heavy in most models because it's all stainless construction.  Also the handle is cold and devoid of texture.  YMMV on that.

I'm always a fan of slipjoints for everything, but there's so much variety that it's a highly personal choice.

The CRKT Piet is a great little knife and cheap.  The only thing "wrong" with it is that it has an overly thick blade for its size.  I like small blades fine, YMMV.  But the thickness of this little thing is a bit absurd.

CRKT-Piet.png&f=1&nofb=1

Also, never discount a simpler Swiss Army Knife.  The Cadet, Pioneer, and Spartan make great pocketknives that are cheap, well-made, easy to sharpen, stainless and just all around kick ass.  Those models are pocketable, but have the "scout knife" tool selection that comes in handy at times.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, never discount a simpler Swiss Army Knife.  The Cadet, Pioneer, and Spartan make great pocketknives that are cheap, well-made, easy to sharpen, stainless and just all around kick ass.  Those models are pocketable, but have the "scout knife" tool selection that comes in handy at times.

LOL, I might have posted before, but a newbie deer hunting friend popped his first doe.  End of the season, MLD extended, so hung back and relaxed.  Swore he had all his new gear he'd purchased to dress it, only to find out back at the cabin in his haste he'd left at home.  So I dressed the deer with my little SA keychain knife.  Wasn't too bad.  Just had to re-sharpen a few times during.  

They are cool little knives

red-1_a06ad669-5f90-4963-ab85-be468cf084

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL, I might have posted before, but a newbie deer hunting friend popped his first doe.  End of the season, MLD extended, so hung back and relaxed.  Swore he had all his new gear he'd purchased to dress it, only to find out back at the cabin in his haste he'd left at home.  So I dressed the deer with my little SA keychain knife.  Wasn't too bad.  Just had to re-sharpen a few times during.  

THAT is a csb.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Was gonna rec a Buck Vantage but they're almost $50. My favorite Moore Maker is now over $40.

I try not to buy them any more but lots of well made Chinese knives that fit your post, good brands like CRKT, Kershaw (rec'd above), Spyderco, Boker, CJRB, Artisan Cutlery (had all of those brands and they are great) etc. Solid knives that arrive really sharp, are fun to use and fuck with, but also cheap enough to lose, give away, or break doing something regarded with it.

I have this Kershaw Showtime and it is pretty nice for $30 or so

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

A couple of caveats, though.  It is assisted opening and could potentially open in your pocket while riding your MTB, assuming you would carry it riding.  I don't hesitate to carry a Leek, but would not carry it riding for this reason.  It has a safety catch, but I wouldn't trust it.  It's probably unlikely, but if you were to go OTB with it, and it opened, it would really fuck you up.  We don't need arterial bleeding to go along with our busted fingers and collarbones.

Also, it's a bit heavy in most models because it is all stainless construction.  Also the handle is cold and devoid of texture.  YMMV on that.

Weird.  I thought I responded to this last night.  These are good points.  The "opening by itself" is a bit of an issue with the Leek.  It's really an issue with all these spring-loaded knives, but on the Leek the real problem is that the safety is a plastic bar that slides up to cover the edge of the knife so it won't open.  If you break this plastic bar (or forget to set it), there's nothing to prevent it from opening in your pocket if the mechanism gets hit just right.   Happened to me twice, once producing a neat little puncture on my index finger when I reached in to grab it.

Usually the safety is broken when you try to close the knife with the safety set - the blade just cuts through the plastic.  At least that's what's happened to me.

Of my 6 or so, two currently are broken.  So I make sure to use the clip for those.  That way if they open they open down, and the fact that they're open is pretty noticeable.

FWIW, Kershaw will send you the parts to fix it for free and the fix takes about 3 seconds if you have the right bit.  But the delivery is not the fastest.  So I think going forward I'm going to order another replacement as soon as a I fix them.

Some of the models (like the base stainless) are a bit slippery.  The ones with an outside painted surface are much less slick.  I have put some emery tape on my stainless one for grip.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:56 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

CRKT Drifter with a G10 handle can be had in your price range.  Very smooth opening and pretty light in the pocket.  Tough to beat for about $25.      

image.jpeg.c3879a0658ff490718a7f8b1a2caee8d.jpeg

Someone else mentioned the Ontario Rat, and that's a good suggestion as well.  I think you can still find the Rat 1 in your price range if you look around, but it's a little on the big side if you're looking for something that will disappear in your pocket.  The Rat 2 is smaller but pricier.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/13/2021 at 12:26 PM, BabaYaga said:

Love it.  That's a hell of an endorsement for the little SA Executive.  File your nails?  No problem.  Field dress a deer?  No problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

CRKT Drifter with a G10 handle can be had in your price range.  Very smooth opening and pretty light in the pocket.  Tough to beat for about $25.      

image.jpeg.c3879a0658ff490718a7f8b1a2caee8d.jpeg

Someone else mentioned the Ontario Rat, and that's a good suggestion as well.  I think you can still find the Rat 1 in your price range if you look around, but it's a little on the big side if you're looking for something that will disappear in your pocket.  The Rat 2 is smaller but pricier.

My daily carry is a Rat 1. It carries fine, but I do prefer larger pocket knives. The clip can be moved to carry right hand or left hand and tip up or tip down, which is nice.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 12:01 AM, NWBuck said:

'Preciate it.

What would you all think of a Bois d'Arc or Osage Orange handle?  That wood is very hard.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...